Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich Town 14:23 - Oct 30 with 1456 viewsArchibaldKnox

Interesting article in the Guardian on Ipswich Town, our opponents on Saturday.
Anyone see any similarities or differences ?

Edit to add: Is this what BFC is trying to do? Why their success vs our failure so far?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/football-league-blog/2014/oct/30/ipswich-mic
[Post edited 30 Oct 2014 14:32]

Ipswich Town on 17:18 - Oct 30 with 1412 viewsTejas

Every now and then a club stands out as doing well on a threadbare budget, and when this happens questions get asked around the obscene flow of cash thrown at players and agents. We were probably one of the best examples; I don't personally believe Ipswich will be. Throwing cash at a club is not a guarantee of success, but if you throw enough for long enough - it will get you there in the end. Doing it our way or the Ipswich way is a rare event and requires a number of other variables to work, Luck, Stability and cohesion within the Club. The most sensible way would be in-between the two rather than sitting in the extremes waiting for Lady Luck. At one end of the scale you have Man City, Chelsea, QPR etc. At the other end there's us! We should have the money to move closer to the middle, yet we chose to sit at the extreme. In both events it's ALL about the cash (saved or spent). Ipswich don't have our (I use the term loosely) money, they don't have a choice on how they operate. Given what we've been through we expected more ambition from the club, our dissapointment should not be a surprise.

Ipswich Town on 19:36 - Oct 30 with 1374 viewsOsbourne

Don't underestimate Ipswich's potential spending power.

They have Marcus Evans as their backer.

I doubt if Roy Keane took the Ipswich job for £300,000 per year. This is the figure that is being thrown about for Lee Clark at Pool.

My knowledge is 3rd party, but Roy Keane's contract at Ipswich seriously surprised me.

Ipswich's aim is the Premiership. The problem is, it is not as easy to get out of the Championship as Marcus Evans thought. eg Pool's own Micheal Chopra had a fantastic deal at Ipswich. So did Jimmy Bullard. So did Lee Bowyer.

It all went wrong with Roy Keane in charge, but the money was splashed and the aim was the Premiership. Even now Ipswich have a big name manager in Mick McCarthy.

Roy Keane having a chat with one of his players!
[Post edited 30 Oct 2014 19:52]

Ipswich Town on 19:57 - Oct 30 with 1362 viewsArchibaldKnox

Hurrah, someone replied... I thought I had gained the superpower of invisibility.
Thanks for providing more background. So ITFC did spend quite strongly to try and reach the PL but fell short. I don't think the BFC owners consciously tried to do it, but a couple of fellas had some weird self-belief and we fluked it. However, ITFC owners got their fingers burnt and are trying more cautiously now. And they do have significant debt hangover. But they were in the 1st Div for a long period in the 70-80s so probably felt they 'deserved' to be up there. Perception and ambition - complicated mix.

Ipswich Town on 20:16 - Oct 30 with 1353 viewsTejas

Good stuff Osbourne...I didn't know about Evans, it sounds like they may be stronger and better organised than I thought. I am surrounded by Norwhich fans here so get a one sided view. There is an Ipswich fan somewhere on site, but to be honest nobody talks to him!!

Ipswich Town on 08:14 - Oct 31 with 1308 viewsMr_Brightside

What I've always said it's all down to the manager - if Mick McCarthy would have succeeded Ollie I don't think we'd be too far from the top six or even back in The Prem.

Poll: Next win will be against?
Blog: The Love I lost

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024