Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
is it time for pragmatism? 11:28 - Nov 2 with 1580 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

We were discussing this on the train yesterday - on the way up, I should add, when hope still sprang eternal in the collective breast.

My point was that I think the crux of our problem is that a lot of our midfield players are much of a muchness, and unfortunately are neither protecting the back four nor creating anything for the front players.

Is it time to play in a way that bypasses them altogether? Play a back four screened by Perkins and Cubero (when fit) and get the ball forward quickly to two /three forwards ?

It might offend the purists among us (including me), but would it work better than what we have now? Some of our best, and most stirring efforts this season have come when we've been two down and have resorted to more direct tactics.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

is it time for pragmatism? on 11:55 - Nov 2 with 1556 viewsTejas

I think that would work in the short term, hated long ball tactics though it would be, we need something quickly to get us out of theis mess. I've not seen Cubero play so can't comment on his ability to play such a role, in theory we have the forwards!

Long term, it would mask the real issue (IMO), which is the team doesn't appear to have a heart. That is, 3 or 4 player that pull everyone else together. We've almost always had that in the past and until we get that stability in the squad is just a distant dream.

Lee Clark needs to be given time to build that heart and after yesterday's woeful performance he doesn't have much of a starting point. The fact (and the amount) we missed Perkins was a testiment to work that will need to be done, and we are desperately running out of time to do it.

is it time for pragmatism? on 12:47 - Nov 2 with 1512 viewsWizaard

Oyston needs to show he's backing Clark by allowing him to get in a midfield to both cover the back four and allow the forwards to prosper with some decent service.

I'd sooner we resolved the issue of midfield rather than bypass it. If we have any hope of staying up, then we need to get in decent players in there now. Clark's past record shows he has the contacts to bring in decent loan players. It's an absolute must right now.

For what it's worth, I think we'll see those purse strings loosened to allow that to happen, if only to show us all that Riga wasn't the man for us.

is it time for pragmatism? on 14:21 - Nov 2 with 1455 viewsTang67

Those tactics smack of desperation but I think that is where we are at and you are right its getting points that is important rather than debating the quality of football played
Saying that we were devoid of any quality yesterday
KO has am opportunity to try and build some semblance of a relationship with the support by really backing Clarke
Something needs to change quickly or else er will be out of view come Xmas

Poster formerly known as bisphamtang

is it time for pragmatism? on 14:33 - Nov 2 with 1435 viewsCurryman

I agree with a lot that other posters have said, we are indeed in desperate times, and desperate actions are needed. I would, at present prefer to be bored stiff watching the kind of stuff served up at the beginning of last season and take the points than watch flowing football with the end result being nil points.

Incidently, if Lee Clark does manage to prevent the fat lady from singing, will we be in this same position again next season, or will we have a new start?
[Post edited 2 Nov 2014 14:35]

Love Blackpool, not the O's
Poll: Whi is responsiblke for our current mess?
Blog: Trust

is it time for pragmatism? on 14:50 - Nov 2 with 1415 viewsterminallytangerine

I can't help feeling that KO got his get out of jail free card at the end of last season when we looked like we were going down but sadly failed to capitalise with a speedy appointment and/or the required level of investment for us to start the season with any confidence.

One thing about the Clark appointment is that at least we appointed a Riga replacement almost immediately and while the jury is still out on whether he can deliver backing now could still save our skin (though every passing game makes it more difficult).

It is in all our interests for Clark to be successful no matter how bitter people feel: league 1 is a slough of despond it could take us years to climb out of.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2014 15:12]

is it time for pragmatism? on 17:37 - Nov 2 with 1338 viewsPlumbs

'Long ball?' Doesn't work in this division

#saynotowarnock

Real fans go to pubs like the HITW or the Welly

is it time for pragmatism? on 21:07 - Nov 2 with 1275 viewsThames

Well I guess we have just seen the outcome of that tactic - shocking.

If you had been paying attention, you would have noticed Riga's plan B in many games, especially at home was take of midfielders and bring on the big strikers for the last 15-20 mins in an attempt to force a goal after keeping things tight for most of the game.

It didn't really work for him so not sure why 90 minutes of it would be seen as acceptable.

Clark's high intensity training sessions appear to be designed to get the players running around like headless chickens. Unfortunately think a headless chicken may offer more than Lundstram

is it time for pragmatism? on 22:40 - Nov 2 with 1238 viewstangerinedom

TBH BRB - I thought that was the tactic for most of this season

is it time for pragmatism? on 22:44 - Nov 2 with 1233 viewsTwelveAngryMen

Robbie I've still got my Charles Hughes coaching manual in the loft
Could come in useful

#footballfirst

is it time for pragmatism? on 22:47 - Nov 2 with 1224 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

I've got that 4-2-4 board game somewhere as well. Good point TAM.

is it time for pragmatism? on 01:05 - Nov 3 with 1175 viewsbottle

We have more chance with petula Clarke in place than lee Clark! Give it up guys we are stuffed big time! If anyone thinks Mr Nile shrugs his shoulders ranger is the key then God bless your blind optimism - zoko has more about him than Miller and ranger put together - God bless his division 3 heart - Saturday was woeful devoid of ideas and bizarre in team selection - dunne useless, McMahon midfield? Come on! Joan in midfield? Did he mix the twins up? Amazing really,the only good thing was Mr Clark's unintentional big fat Sam impression!

is it time for pragmatism? on 08:43 - Nov 3 with 1137 viewsLala

'I'd sooner we resolved the issue of midfield rather than bypass it. '

Agree with that Wiz. Radio reporting this morning that Clark could be bringing new players in before Wednesdays match, let's hope so.

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

is it time for pragmatism? on 09:29 - Nov 3 with 1112 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

In the longer term, I also agree that we need to resolve the issue properly.

But the use of the word pragmatism was deliberate - I feel we might need to put a plaster on the wound to stop it bleeding for the immediate short term. January is probably the time for something more ambitious.

is it time for pragmatism? on 09:41 - Nov 3 with 1102 viewsLala

I think you're probably right with the January timescale Robbie for a long term fix.

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

is it time for pragmatism? on 13:11 - Nov 3 with 1057 viewsstraightatthewall

I think it says a lot that hoofing it - which is really what we're talking about - is considered our only realistic chance of changing things. From a 'getting results' perspective, I'd have to say that yes, it's a 'chance' worth taking. From every other perspective, I think it's retrograde step that won't do much good.

As an aside to this, let me tell you a true story. An old friend of mine from Uni is now a Pool fan along with his son. He's from Nottingham and the reason he supports us dates back to watching one of Ollie's sides take Forest to pieces with brilliant attacking football. It captured his lad's imagination to the extent that last season he was a mascot at a home game.

There's a lot to be said for results. Especially right now. But there's a lot to be said for how you try and get them too.

That said, frankly I think it's all a mute point at present. The club is in dissaray and will be for a while. I just cannot see those 4-5 players we need coming in all of them being of the required quality.

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

is it time for pragmatism? on 13:28 - Nov 3 with 1040 viewsLytham_FY8

Not going to happen though is it?

We simply won't bring any quality in at all and clinging to this hope is ludicrous.

"The money has not been taken out of the football club to pay for this hotel, but the money will be borrowed to build the hotel in part or whole"

is it time for pragmatism? on 19:31 - Nov 3 with 991 viewsBOYBILLY

yep hanging onto this notion we will bring in quality is ludicrous but we have some strange people who follow the mighty

is it time for pragmatism? on 19:51 - Nov 3 with 980 viewsstu

who was the last quality player we brought in on loan. Seamus? Gosling? Blackett (shite for us)

Tangerine is the new black

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024