Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The old Bloomfield 22:17 - Jan 27 with 1421 viewsPNENIL

I remember my dad telling me we once aquired one of the corner stands at bloomfield from Fleetwood. Think it was from their old ground at the Euston rather than Highbury.
So was it the one in the south west corner or the one that went from the west to the kop?
Never ever sat in the south one and in later days I think it housed the sponsers. Only sat in the kop one once for a midweek league cup tie against brum in the seventies.
Also , do you remember the grey seats they put in the scratchers? That must have wasted some money.

The old Bloomfield on 07:10 - Jan 28 with 1371 viewscamberwell1

The one season seats went to Man in the late 70's - no idea why they were put in or taken out - capacity arguments perhaps
Still we'll never have that problem for at least another decade now

The old Bloomfield on 11:00 - Jan 28 with 1331 viewsWizaard

The Motor stand in the NW corner originally stood behind the goal but was moved when they built the Kop. I seem to recall reading it was brought in from somewhere else but I don't think it was Fleetwood.

Back in 2000 there was serious discussion about getting the stand from Feethams to put down the East side but we got the Gene Kelly instead.

The old Bloomfield on 11:16 - Jan 28 with 1324 viewsSince1967

That small South West corner stand was quite a curiosity. It had the half time scoreboard on the front of it and I can remember the scores being manually put up.
When you went to a reserve game, in the days when we had such things, the first team score was put up there. You could hear a telephone ring so you knew there had been a goal and someone ran around and changed the board.
Happy days.

The old Bloomfield on 12:47 - Jan 28 with 1300 viewsWizaard

Forgot about those calls. The reserve games were good being a Saturday at 3.00 with updates orvided. people used to take more interest in what was going up on the board than what was happening on the pitch.

On first team match days they had another run of the letters updating half times etc on the Kop wall down at the front as well as on the SW stand. Didn't the men updating them have long white coats on or is that a trick of my imagination?

The old Bloomfield on 13:26 - Jan 28 with 1286 viewsSince1967

Wizaard, I think you might be correct about the coats. I also remember that the guys doing this weren't in the first flush of youth so it was quite a delay between answering the 'phone and getting across to the board. You were kept in suspense as to whether 'Pool had scored or conceded. Sometimes the bloke would give them thumbs up or down as he ambled across to put us out of our misery.
The system had a bit more character than checking your iPhone every 5 minutes!

The old Bloomfield on 14:41 - Jan 28 with 1272 viewsWizaard

On Saturdays I used to walk home via the railway embankment to Central station site then Talbot Square in order to pick up an early edition Green which had the final scores in the stop press. Used to appear about 5.15. The match report on the front used to be quite detailed up to half time then consisted of goal times and scorers. Not quite the iPhone of today indeed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024