Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can't let go 13:29 - Feb 15 with 2992 viewsspooner

Granddad Harry first took me to Bloomfield Road in 1964.

Got there early yesterday, seriously considering it might be the last time I attend.

Walked round the town, from prom to park, from Saddle to Excelsior, in something of a daze.
Memories kept filling my head as I thought about how Saturday morning trips to watch my team used to make me feel it was Christmas every week!! The anticipation and excitement were overwhelming.
Passers-by must have been puzzled, mothers ushering toddlers behind them as I ambled by with a wistful look on my face.
Blackpool is unique. Whichever way you're heading, an icy wind pummels your face, but armed with a portion of chips, the salt stinging my ever-numbing lips, I was almost at peace.
On my meandering way, I kept returning to the Ground.
Used to get butterflies arriving at Bloomfield; the swell of the crowd, the announcement of the players, the hope of another solid home performance being tempered by the noise from the left side of the kop where visiting fans, often in large numbers and separated from home fans only by flimsy barriers, competed to make themselves heard; there was no feeling like it.
I mused, as I passed the flash cars behind the statue of Gentleman Jim, how Harry Johnston, and Sir Stan would have arrived at Bloomfield Road on match days and what really motivates today's professional footballers.
I was satisfied, as I approached, then mingled with, the protesters,for a good half hour, that I'd done my bit over the years, invested thousands of pounds and spent as many hours travelling to and from fixtures, to warrant being called a genuine supporter of an organisation which now treats me with disdain and, it can be argued, is little more than an expedient, carrying barely any corporate social responsibility.
Spoke to a couple of Forest fans who sympathised with our plight, but reminded me that we'd caused them enough pain over the years, so they expected to enjoy winning handsomely.
Felt even sadder at what we've become.
Wrestled with my conscience.
Should I watch the 'Pool, stay outside amongst those want to express their concern at the manner in which we've been betrayed or just return home?
Mind made up, I went in.
See you next Saturday

Can't let go on 14:47 - Feb 15 with 2965 viewsWizaard

When it comes to it, the club isn't something owned by anyone. It's in the collective blood and memories of literally thousands of people.

As I see it, not going to the game is giving in the Oystons, not making a statement. They don't care. They've taken the money back in the summer, so why should they care if you now don't go? One less to make the noise of dissent in the ground as far as they're concerned.

I know some of my closest friends have taken the difficult decision not to go. That's for them to decide upon, but it's not for me.

We are the club, and as long as there is a team to watch, we'll be there.

Can't let go on 15:05 - Feb 15 with 2954 viewsKOSBowlCut

Do you know Spooner there is nothing wrong in any of that. I'm getting weary of the NAPM brigade dictating whether or not we should go in to Bloomfield Road or not. The majority are brilliant and are saying that it's an individuals choice but there's a small minority who are starting to annoy me. If I choose to watch Blackpool I will - I don't like anything the Oyston's have done but it' my team, not theirs and I'll support as I see fit.

Poll: Would you play Nile Ranger from the start against Reading?

Can't let go on 17:26 - Feb 15 with 2916 viewsribble

Quite so.

I have no time or patience for those who take it upon themselves to dictate to others how and when they should watch or support the team. There are one or two on twitter who particularly get on my nerves in that respect. One well known fan even went so far the other week to say that anyone celebrating the win against Brighton wasn't a true fan. Another hoped we would be 'humiliated' against Boro. Jeez.

Whilst I'm at it, posting those 'look at me' pictures of cut up season tickets on social media doesn't make you a hero. Just a bit sad.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2015 18:59]

Can't let go on 20:19 - Feb 15 with 2880 viewsterminallytangerine

NAPM are certainly entitled to their view.

But there again so is everybody else.

Can't let go on 21:20 - Feb 15 with 2841 viewsolneyseasider

If you believed in the Riga revolution and renewed your ST, then it is entirely possible to attend matches and still be NAPM. As people say, they have your money already so what is the point of not going?

But, equally others are entitled to have their own opinions. And if, while you are there, you give money to the Os in the knowledge that it will be used to fund litigation against the likes of Tim Fielding and other supporters - well then are you surprised if emotions run high?

But I agree fan on fan attacks are counter productive and we should all focus on the real problem.

So end of thread for me.

Can't let go on 22:06 - Feb 15 with 2825 viewsterminallytangerine

No correlation between buying a pie and a pint and enjoying a game of football - albeit played on a quagmire - and condoning the excesses of our owners.

Can't let go on 23:25 - Feb 15 with 2795 viewsCurryman

One thing I like about this board is the reasoned debate and the fact that posters listen to each other.

It's mayhem on the other side at the present time with fan tearing strips out of fans. Not pretty.

I say each to their own, we are all big enough and old enough to make our own decisions, I've made mine and may regret it, but on the other hand I may not.

Love Blackpool, not the O's
Poll: Whi is responsiblke for our current mess?
Blog: Trust

Can't let go on 08:04 - Feb 16 with 2755 viewsTejas

It was a privilege to stand with the demonstrators on Saturday, the passion on display for the Club we love is the only chink of light in this whole sad affair. Fellow supporters that I have spoken to are totally respectful of the individual's decision to attend (or not). I believe there is only division from the minority.

There was passion in the ground too. Even though at times, you could kid yourself you were watching "Ollies never say die seasiders", the real issue was never forgotten and anti-Oyston chants prevailed (where I was stood anyway) - right through to the final whistle.

I have it on good authority that a certain person plays on this supposed division of the fan base, by playing down the protest and implying that it's a minority that are unhappy. In my view, balanced protesting inside AND outside the ground is the thing that will most disprove his distorted view. Furthermore, with the exception of a few emotional outbursts on message boards, which is understandable given the serious nature of what we are dealing with - I don't believe there is much division at all.

Nobody should feel ashamed of watching the team and it's very sad when people feel obliged to apologise for doing so. But in my view at least there's no need, together I'm sure we can get this family out of our Club.

Can't let go on 08:43 - Feb 16 with 2744 viewsscratchingshed

Started watching the Pool just a few years later in the 69-70 season and been going on pretty much ever since apart from this season as we [4 family members [didn't renew our season tickets this season.

I t was hard at first but results/performances/and off the field antics has convinced me it was the right decision to make and have no regrets at all.

Funny thing is I've probably been to about half the games this season free of charge as a mate of mine who renewed his season ticket got moved out of town with his job so finds it very difficult to get here on a Saturday now, mind you the ticket is often free as I don't go to every home game just pick and choose the odd ones, I've been to the last 2 homes games just to take in the demo although I did go in at 3pm admittedly.

Of course I'll never stop supporting Blackpool but I won't give another penny to the Oystons, as soon as they leave all 4 of us will renew.

Can't let go on 12:50 - Feb 16 with 2697 viewsWizaard

Scratchers

Think you'll find that going in after taking part in the demo means 'you're condoning everything the Oystons do'

or so I've read on Fansonline.

Can't let go on 17:51 - Feb 16 with 2623 viewsscratchingshed

Wiz I've taken part in every demo that has been staged trust me, I was one of the 150 or so who walked round the ground in the pouring rain carrying a friggin coffin, I went home that day as I was p1ss wet through.

If I don't do another thing on the protest front I will have already done more than thousands have so I can still sleep at night trust me.

Can't let go on 19:36 - Feb 16 with 2589 viewsWizaard

That's my point. All power to you.

For me, the way to go, is demonstrate before and after the game outside, but support the team inside with the chants aimed at the Oystons.

The ST's are paid for, so why not use them to target INSIDE the ground as well as outside?

Can't let go on 19:48 - Feb 16 with 2587 viewsbfcpete

Good and sensible o/ p.
As I posted on the other forum there is a certain irony to some fans. On the one hand we all condemn the Os for bullying into submission those fans who can't afford to defend themselves in court. On the other hand we have some fans who attempt to bully and abuse other fans who decide to go in the ground and support the team but still use the opportunity to chant against the Os.
For the avoidance of doubt, I, with my son, bought the 2 year deal, but not because we believed the Riga Revolution nonsense, We took the advantage of a cheap deal to give us another reason to make the 350 mile round trip for each home game to also see my 82 year old mum (who had progressive dementia) at least twice a month. We also saw it as an opportunity to spend a bit of dad and son time together. My mother started watching the Pool with her dad in 1947 and her last match was our promotion trip to Wembley (her very first away match) She is the reason we are Pool supporters, with my first game in 1964. I have been on plenty of demos against the Os over the years and supported the one on Saturday , before going in to support the team a few minutes before KO. My mum sadly passed away in October but one of the last things she said to me was ' those Oystons are bu*gers, but they should not drive you out of the club you love'. I may well not renew my ST in 14 months time. But if I don't renew it will not be because I have been bullied by others to do so. In the interim I will be going to home matches but not as many as when my mum was still with us.

Can't let go on 20:06 - Feb 16 with 2576 viewsTejas

Pete, we have very similar stories. My parents used to watch Pool home and away in the 50's, going to away games on their motorbike. Sadly Mum's now in a care home living in her own little world but blissfully unaware of how the O's are destroying her beloved Pool. I was (so they tell me) 18 months old when I went to my first game which would have been in 1963, like you my support is inherited and very much in the blood.

I also fell for the Riga Revolution, to be honest I'm still seething about it. All my past suspicions about this odious family were laid bare with this cynical deception. It was never about the money and I would have happily paid full price if only we were a normal Club, with normal owners.

The division that's growing between attending or not attending is the one thing, I believe, that will kill any chance of a united opposition to the Oystons. They will thrive on it.

I think your late Mother's advice was "bob on".

Can't let go on 21:29 - Feb 16 with 2553 viewsWizaard

Like others, I usually take the opportunity of home games to catch up with family and old friends who I don't otherwise see as I live away.

I didn't renew because of Riga, I renewed because we as a family come over to see both football and friends and family. We would have renewed at full price so the reduced price was always going to ensure we took advantage of the two year offering.

Do I regret it? Not really for the reasons stated. It's in the blood and an accepted part of our weekend as a family. The Oystons are ruining the club but it's still my team and my club and I won't let them or self-appointed judges of who can go in affect my decisions.

Can't let go on 22:01 - Feb 16 with 2544 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Just to add my two penn'orth. I'm like Wiz in a lot of ways. Coming up for football is a big part of my weekend - but seeing family and friends at the same time is a big part of it. Some people bang on about people being "bought" by cheap season tickets. But when you spend 2/3/4 thousand pounds a year following the club wherever, a couple of hundred quid either way for an S/T is really neither here nor there.

Im certainly not going to be lectured by some self-appointed militant who attends when he feels like it - and then goes to an away match where the Oystons take over 40% of the gate money.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024