Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
pretty dispiriting really 00:48 - Feb 25 with 3446 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

It's going to be a shame to say goodbye to Griffin Park - one of the more charming stadia in England - but we've had a few real beatings there in my time and tonight was among the worst.

It was uphill from the off. I was very impressed with them at BR, as I felt they were one of the few sides to work harder than us in the early stages of the season, and they carried on in the same vein tonight. They have some good footballers, and a very positive style, but they earn the right to play by being really hungry for the ball. We couldn't match their industry, struggled with their pace and as a consequence rarely had the ball. When we did have it, we couldn't keep it.

The goals were all soft, in one way or another, but all were a product of relentless pressure on the ball and with the ball. I thought we looked like a tired side by half time, and losing Dunne was just the icing on the cake. I think he probably got the ball, but his feet left the floor and it looked a fairly agricultural challenge.

They reacted to his departure by doubling up on our left flank, spreading the play as much as they could and running in behind us incessantly. I thought they ere playing 2-3-5 at times ; we were just fighting them off as best we could. We looked like a non-league club on their big Cup outing.

All in all, the result was absolutely right and flattered us more than them. They will go close to the playoffs and I hope if they make them that they win them. They play the game in the right way and were far, far too good for us.

One aspect of their club that lets them down is the stewarding - unduly aggressive and humourless tonight, which was completely unnecessary given how few of us turned up ;and yet they still managed to run out of hot food at half time. They are a charming club in lots of ways, but some aspects of their set up looked small time this evening. Their team and manager are anything but.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

pretty dispiriting really on 02:11 - Feb 25 with 3419 viewsseasider13

I was looking at the stats and they were shocking, over 40 shots to our two, pathetic.

Thanks for the report robbie, i think.

No man is rich enough to buy back his past.

pretty dispiriting really on 08:15 - Feb 25 with 3351 viewsSince1967

Agree completely about the football. Our experience of the stewards was just the opposite, a friendly bunch and we had a good chat with quite a few of them

pretty dispiriting really on 08:24 - Feb 25 with 3348 viewsscratchingshed

Credit for still going Bazbob as right now I wouldn't go if I lived 50 yards away from any stadium we were playing at and had a free ticket.

Sorry but if those match stats dont put supporters off from ever going again then I really don't know what will 42 shots against our 1 is just embarrassing, one corner, and 28% possession is just not what you expect in a professional football game.

I've got a free ticket for the Wigan game but just cannot be bothered dragging myself down to watch this shower perform and get beat yet again.

At this rate we'll be relegated by the Leeds game but what's the answer? Er, non really it's been coming all season in fact it's been coming since last season and the owners have done absolutely nothing at all about it.

Clark should do the honourable thing and walk away now he's failed 100% in every department of course it his employers fault with no financial backing etc but Clark knew this before coming here hence no sympathy vote from me I am afraid he's just an Oyston puppet but most of all he's a shocking manager.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2015 8:31]

pretty dispiriting really on 08:36 - Feb 25 with 3334 viewsOsbourne

Scratcher,

Lee Clarke is trying his best. They really are very testing circumstances at Bloomfield Road at present - but things will change. 5-3-2 must be changed to 4-4-2, I concede that. If you read AVFTT Mr Clark please digest that. Try to take the game to the opposition. Against Wigan on Saturday it is a must. Pool must win on Saturday. It is essential.

You must come to the match on Saturday Scratcher, you must. Pool are going to win. If I see you outside the ground before the match I will buy you a coffee, burger and chips, the burger of course with onions. How about that for an incentive! Remember Forest? What a cracker!

pretty dispiriting really on 08:54 - Feb 25 with 3316 viewsWizaard

Good OP.

While the sending off didn't help, in truth the game was over before that as we just didn't retain any possession and they were already two up. D'Urso had a strange game, all too quick to show a red card for a fairly innocuous challenge in the scheme of things, while O'Hara was forced off by a very late challenge that went unpunished.

As Robbie says, the nature of the goals was poor, with it being all too easy to give and move while we stood and watched them go past. The first was a walk in by the time they'd interchanged the ball a few times, while there was no challenge as a cross was floated over to the back post for the second.

Lewis was playing them on his own by the end, making a number of saves that kept the score down and away from Watford proportions.

Our only shot on target was in the last minute, a toe poked effort that the keeper fell upon.

Clearly the questionnaire hasn't had the desired effect, as the difference between the recent home performances and last night was marked.

Where do we go from here? It's clear that despite Osbourne's best intentions, we're all but down. We have to start now in deciding who is in our plans for next season and try and build a squad ready for League One.

The owners have disastrously failed the club and need to look at their position. I can't believe they are doing themselves any good, as they'll be losign money hand over fist next season even if they cut the budget. For the good of all concerned, they need to go, and soon so a proper structure can be put in place.

For me, Lee Clark is doing the best he can with what he has. Yes, we could be more attacking at times, but as a wise man once said, you can't polish a turd and that's what he's working with.

Interesting that last night, there were just as many calls in support of him as against, and the team got a good round of applause as they came off. That was probalby about raising their morale as anything, as on the pitch, they didn't really do themselves justice with one or two exceptions.

Bad and sad times but at least the train was on time going home. Small mercies..

pretty dispiriting really on 09:07 - Feb 25 with 3303 viewsscratchingshed

Wiz not sure Clark is actually doing the best he can for a start where is Cubero? World Cup quarter finalist and deemed not good enough for this shower? Also where if Feruz? We sign a Chelsea player but he cannot get in the team? You Cannot blame Oyston for team selection week in week out, Clark is just clueless we had plenty of warning from the Birmingham fans.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2015 9:08]

pretty dispiriting really on 09:16 - Feb 25 with 3291 viewsOsbourne

Harsh Scratcher, Mr Clark is who we have got. I like him. He has spirit. He kept Birmingham up last season. Come Huddersfield in May let's hope for similar scenes at Bloomfield Road.

Mr Clark has played and managed a lot of games. He can do it, trust me.

Scratcher v Osbourne

Lee Clark

pretty dispiriting really on 09:37 - Feb 25 with 3276 viewsstraightatthewall

Easier for me to cut & paste my thoughts from the other site.

Brentford were slick and smart in their play and every credit to them, but jesus wept we look staggeringly poor. An overweight Jamie o'hara is our best player. A man waddling round the pitch, picking up the ball in his own half and trying to switch - about 60% success rate - is our best player.

The really sad thing is that the team and even the clueless pudding of a manager don't deserve any stick. They're just a million miles away from being good enough at this level.
In fact, the jury is very much out on whether they'll be good enough at next seasons level either.

The second half was like a training ground exercise, men v boys (literally in some cases) with us playing the role of assistants to help them work on shape and system. It was as depressing as it was so utterly humiliating.

But we were also throughly outplayed throughout the first half and the ease with which they scored the first 2 goals was laughable. And just before we contemplate that we were up against a vastly superior outfit, remember that one player taking us apart with ease was jonathan douglas. A player experienced seasiders will know well enough. A player who has always worked hard and with honesty, but could never seriously be described as heading for bigger and better things.

Well if scouts saw him last night they'd think he was Ronaldo in waiting such was the ease in which he walked round the hapless tony mac et al.

What a sad, sorry joke we have become.

Owen and karl, this is your legacy.

You know it. We know it.

The team looks ill-equipped to cope next season and you prefer to try and financially cripple supporters who have backed the club for decades and simply questioned your actions because they care for its long term future.

Shame on you both. But then again, when a man convicted of raping a 16 year old - and he lost 2 (that's 2) appeals to clear his name - and he still protests his innocence, then you know shame is not remotely being felt where it matters.

What a disgrace they are.

Never forgive. Never forget.

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

pretty dispiriting really on 09:51 - Feb 25 with 3262 viewscrewcut

Brentford's players and fans have Belief.

In their manager especially, and the way the club is run. Progressing and investing for the future of the football club.

The absolute polar opposite to what is happening at Blackpool FC..

pretty dispiriting really on 11:47 - Feb 25 with 2982 viewsOsbourne

crewcut,

Brentford's manager is leaving at the end of the season. Not in the owners plans apparently.

Strange, but true.

Don't get too blue about last night. Pool need 8 wins out of 13 now. Can still lose 5 and would probably still be in the mix v Huddersfield at Bloomfield Road in early May.

No harm in losing with style when we lose. 1-0 or 10-0, we weren't going to get the points once Dunne was dismissed last night.

Pool must play 4-4-2 though and take the game to the opposition. Starting 5-3-2 last night was interesting. Of course did the commentators get the formation right? Pool could of been playing a midfield 'diamond formation' of Perkins and O'Hara behind Rothwell but in front of Aldred?

Can we trust these commentators to read the formation correctly? I was not at the game last night, I listened on Radio Wave. Incidently, is this the same commentary that is supplied by Radio Lancashire? Wizaard and Basil appear to of been at Brentford last night. Could they tell AVFTT what formation was being played last night. 5 - 3 - 2, 4 - 4 - 2 or 4 - 4 (Diamond formation) - 2?

I'm interested to know.
The formation must be correct for Wigan.
O'Hara was apparently carrying a rib injury into last nights game, so I should imagine he will definitely be back for Wigan on Saturday. What about O'Dea and Olandi. What is the news on their fitness? Best central defence is probably Peter Clarke on the right and O'Dea on the left. But is O'Dea recovered from his stretchering off v Forest?

pretty dispiriting really on 12:16 - Feb 25 with 2932 viewsWizaard

Shapewise, we started more as a back 3 of Clarke, Grant and Aldred, with McMahon and Dunne playing as wingbacks.

Midfield was the three of O'Hara, Perkins in the middle and Rothwell playing wider on the right with Davies and Madine upfront.

Problem was that we were completely unable to retain possession with Perkins in particular frequently winning the ball then giving it away.

After maybe 20 minutes, Clark had seen enough, pulled off Aldred and reverted to a back 4, given we were already 2 down.

Didn't make a blind bit of difference as we were unable to keep anything.

Confidence is a huge factor in football and Brentford had spades of it, while we've been bereft for 18 months. As a result, we try too hard and are stilted rather than relaxed.

Not something that you can train into them. It's a factor around the results we've had.

What was noticeable was the amount of times they played one two's round us, with our players seemingly unable toreact and go with a man. Hard to believe at times just how easy it was. If you look at the goals, you'll see that we're playing statues on at least three of them while they give and go.

pretty dispiriting really on 12:33 - Feb 25 with 2908 viewscrewcut

Osbourne I read something about that somewhere and I will believe his leaving when it happens.

Whether its his perceived low profile image for the owners going forward, or whatever, I don't think he will going back to his previous life trading in the City. He's has been well and truly stung by this footballing success story.

Lots of variables 'twixt cup and lip but the Bees will keep buzzing under his stewardship.

Anyways as the self appointed Guru of all things with odds attached, whats the price on him being there next season?

pretty dispiriting really on 12:34 - Feb 25 with 2908 views20togo

Little point in commenting on anything about us.

So all I'll say is regards to Robbies report. I was very impressed with Brentford at BR. Probably in the best two or three teams who've been to BR this season - maybe only behind Bournemouth. Their energy and high tempo matched with no little skill makes them a very decent team.

pretty dispiriting really on 13:34 - Feb 25 with 2808 viewsstraightatthewall

We had a little chat with a Bees fan on the train home. He was saying that the Warburton issue related to players who were or weren't signed in January and also that the manager wanted to retain a veto on signing players, which didn't sound forthcoming.

Interestingly the supporter wasn't particularly fussed by it saying 'The chairman is a fan who has been magnificent for us. He's financed players (did you know that Jota cost £1m?) and the new stadium.'

Interesting isn't it....

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

pretty dispiriting really on 14:17 - Feb 25 with 2768 viewsHertsseasider

The Bees fan I spoke to after said pretty much the same. Warburton was reluctant to bring anyone new in as he didn't want to disrupt the team. He also said that the Chairman was very highly thought of and had great plans for the club going forward with planty of investment being made.

"Schools Out London"

pretty dispiriting really on 15:50 - Feb 25 with 2705 viewsWizaard

Much as our Chairman, the proof will be in the pudding. If it goes like Orient did after Slade left and they went 'continental', then maybe those Bees fans won't be as equable.

pretty dispiriting really on 16:06 - Feb 25 with 2682 viewsPlumbs

More importantly Wizz-what time did you get bacK? Around 5am for us-M6 shut at Brum and then the M6/M55 at Preston.

Real fans go to pubs like the HITW or the Welly

pretty dispiriting really on 18:00 - Feb 25 with 2632 viewsWizaard

Train back into Leeds at 2.35 on time despite some odd diversions around Wakefield. Home for 3.00 exactly.

pretty dispiriting really on 19:06 - Feb 25 with 2592 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Home at quarter past eleven, even with train disruption.

pretty dispiriting really on 19:31 - Feb 25 with 2568 viewsPlumbs

Good stuff fellas.

Just done my mileage for this week;Boro then Brighton which as 860 miles, then 170 for this weekends home game-real fans do over 1k pw

It's Watford who scored a respectable six against us recently
[Post edited 25 Feb 2015 19:32]

Real fans go to pubs like the HITW or the Welly

pretty dispiriting really on 22:00 - Feb 25 with 2507 viewsMephistopheles

wot u all doin goin to watch 'stain FC!!?!? specially u potts!

pretty dispiriting really on 07:10 - Feb 26 with 2434 viewscamberwell1

Thanks Robbie
Thank god I was Still here in Oz

Root & Branch revolution needed ASAP - WC cricket improving with good matches getting gripping for Ireland & Scotland

Cambers

pretty dispiriting really on 10:13 - Feb 26 with 2385 viewslemongreentea

A defeat like this is painful to take. I do not understand how the performances can swing from the level shown against Forest to that at Brentford. Even allowing we played the second half with ten men against a team who are flying. Hope the performance level can return for Saturday's match against Wigan. If we are going down I would rather see us do so in a positive, attacking, fighting style.

pretty dispiriting really on 10:29 - Feb 26 with 2381 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

I think it's a combination of things :

a) the starting formation at Brentford was a mistake

b) the sending off was earlier and had more of an impact in the sense that we just could not get a foothold at all - in the Forest game we had it and lost it

c) Brentford are a far better team than Forest

pretty dispiriting really on 12:54 - Feb 26 with 2340 viewslemongreentea

I saw Brentford at Blaclpool and would agree they looked better than Forest. After playing us Forest have gone on to hammer Bolton and like Brentford beat Bournemouth. So on that basis I would say Forest are more than half decent. Maybe I'm just clutching at straws but there surely must be some room for some small grain of optimism based on the Forest and Blackburn results.
Get the team balance right and do not go ultra defensive and anything could still happen, maybe!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024