Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
bit belated, but... 16:26 - Mar 22 with 1110 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

…. a few thoughts on yesterday.

That, was, by some way, the best home display of the season - and by implication, the best full stop.

That isn't to say that it was a good game, especially ; you can't play much fluent football on that pitch. But we did try to pass the ball through and round them, Cubero proved we can play link up football between midfield and attack and I thought in the first half in particular we really looked much the more menacing.

The equaliser was a shambolic goal to give away and what the two CBs were doing God only knows. But it looked like it was coming from the moment Antenucci came on. After that, I thought we responded OK, but they also took confidence from the goal. 1-1 is probably about the right outcome, but on the basis of those two performances we could easily have had four points from the home games this week instead of one.

Player wise, Orlandi was as good yesterday as he'd been poor on Tuesday, Madine again looked like a proper footballer, and Cubero's quality is there for all to see. But my MotM was Dunne, who put in by far his best performance in the shirt. He needs some proper coaching, but he's a hell of an athlete and showed an exemplary attitude to the fight yesterday.

The end is almost nigh, but we have at least seen some fight and a bit of skill this week. That's what football fans want to see, and explains the ovation at the end. Final word of praise for Clark - he could easily have made a change for changes sake, but didn't, and I thought that it was the right decision to make.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

bit belated, but... on 18:30 - Mar 22 with 1065 viewsribble

Fair summary that, I think.

Cubero showed the quality we've missing all season - I thought his influence on the game from our point of view was huge and it's a great shame we haven't seen more of him - but it was a game we really should have taken all three points from.

As for Dunne, I've been critical of him in the past so only fair that I acknowledge his much improved performance. He was very good yesterday.

Not a bad afternoon really, spoilt only by the moronic behavior of some of the visiting fans. No surprise there, sadly.

bit belated, but... on 18:35 - Mar 22 with 1060 viewsWizaard

Thought the chances we made first half in particular showed that there is some quality in the side, with Orlandi in particular looking the part.I thought it also showed just how poor a Division this is, as Leeds did nothing of any note the at all, with Dunne having a great game against Byram while Madine bossed their centre halves about.

Goes to show just what a golden chance has been squandered this season through the sheer stubbornness of the Chairman and the failure to invest in a decent pitch and a few players.

Instead, we've gone through over 50 trying to find another diamond in the rough, wasting money hand over fist. If Oyston has a modicum of intelligence, surely he'll allow Clark to put in his plans for next season, as Clark is mentioning at every point, offering the likes of Cubero, Madine and Orlandi contracts as the spine of a team to take forward, getting in young, hungry players around them to really challenge next season.

I thought the demonstration outside was a great PR coup with a fine choice of music. I still don't agree with the decision by some to go and watch AFC but that's their prerogative, just as it was mine to go in the ground.

Rumour is that Belokon is in talks with a local investor to take over. With the current irretrievable situation between the fans and the Oystons, maybe that offers us on crumb of comfort that the current spiral can be arrested.

bit belated, but... on 18:46 - Mar 22 with 1057 viewsribble

I can't see Cubero plying his trade in League 1, he's better than that. Perhaps more realistically, I'd be keen to retain Madine and Orlandi certainly.

bit belated, but... on 22:53 - Mar 22 with 991 viewsterminallytangerine

Agree with that analysis.

If Clarke is to be here next season we need to begin our pre-season now and make sure we get some players signed up - as well as the grass seed ordered!

Cubero would have a field day in league 1 but expect his ambition and game ratio might militate against that.

I thought the lad Jacobs showed some promise but a shame the last free kick was high and wide: if he'd scored it would have been a cracker.

It would have been nice to shut the opposition fans up as well. They've nothing to crow about (yet.)

I liked Halliday last season and he seems to have made an impression with Bratford. Shame he got away.

Ah well not long now..

bit belated, but... on 01:21 - Mar 23 with 966 viewsseasider13

Cheers baz, see you next season,

No man is rich enough to buy back his past.

bit belated, but... on 14:44 - Mar 23 with 909 viewslemongreentea

Somewhat relieved to see that pool can still put in a performance.The question is can this level of performance be repeated next match and the match after? Still think it is important to build up a run of good results this season. It will help signing up the key players for next season, although we all know what the main stumbling block will be. As previous posters suggest Cubero especially may be difficult to keep but if kept could prove key to a successful team. Would also like to see Orlandi retained, Madine seems half decent. Good to read Dunne is starting to shine. O'Hara could make a really useful contribution if fit. Also need to drop the players who seem to consistently cause problems. Would really like to see a team without Perkins and McMahon, this season. Always interesting reading your match reports Mr brr.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024