Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reality check 21:20 - Apr 22 with 1021 viewsspooner

I was invited to the Bury v Southend game last night by a friend on the Shakers' coaching staff.
The Bury Chairman had granted free admission for ALL, following the abandonment of the earlier fixture, owing to a waterlogged pitch.
The gesture effectively doubled the typical midweek attendance and I'm sure franchises inside the ground benefited accordingly.
I was impressed by the respect and patience displayed to all present by stewards, security staff, locals and club officials welcomed "day trippers" and guests.
I was able, as a neutral, to enjoy the game, observe the reaction of fans and assess the standard of football at the top end of League 2.
We should be afraid, very afraid.
Both teams looked fitter than us, better-drilled and more committed to their respective cause.
They kept their shape, played to their strengths, did the simple things effectively (supporting the man with the ball, tracking back when possession was lost) and I was impressed with the manner in which players read the game, appeared to have an assured first touch and were confident on the ball.
All in all I enjoyed the evening's entertainment, could empathise with the majority of home supporters as the game wore on, but left with a nagging worry that, were we to find ourselves in League 1 next season facing such opposition, or, worse still, in League 2, playing teams suitably backed by a Board, ambitious in football-related matters, we could not hope to compete and are most likely destined for several years of further misery.
So much for "PROGRESS", eh?

Reality check on 21:36 - Apr 22 with 1010 viewsBigHandsOliverKahn

It's going to be a struggle unless dramatic changes occur. If Portsmouth can get relegated to League Two then we certainly can follow them to that level given our current situation. It seems there won't be an end to protests and there won't be a sale of the club either so prepare for the worst - Conference North in my opinion.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024