Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
01:00 - Jan 1 with views

Local Dialect on 09:42 - May 21 with 1699 viewsfranniesTache

I can't say that i've noticed a drop off in the term mush to be honest, pretty much everyone i know still uses it, mind you i don't think i've ever known the term "atcha mush" and i grew up in Bevois Valley/St Mary's and lived in The Area for almost 30 years, how do mush was always the most common greeting i heard.

Also i've heard dinlow/din and squinny regularly recently too, though i think dinlow/din is less a southampton term and more just an Aampshire term.

Local Dialect on 09:46 - May 21 with 1696 viewsSaintNick

I dont hear the term Mush in everyday conversation anymore, people say alright mate or hiya mate but rarely mush

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Local Dialect on 10:46 - May 21 with 1652 viewsChesham_Saint

Must admit coming down from London and growing up near Fareham I thought it was just a Hampshire word generally. Another possible local word being ‘nipper’? Also ‘somewhen’ seems to be local too, as when I’ve used it when working in Herts/Essex i get a blank stare.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Local Dialect on 10:51 - May 21 with 1645 viewsWoodrow_Wilson

I’m 5 feet 8 and a half wear a beard and fragrance and I’m very comfortable with my masculinity.

Local Dialect on 12:59 - May 21 with 1571 viewsdirk_doone

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mush

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Local Dialect on 13:17 - May 21 with 1548 viewsdirk_doone

There are two local areas where Romany words, like dinlo and shant, are still frequently used: Portsmouth and the New Forest. I guess the use of these words on message boards has made us all familiar with them now.

Because you are from the Totton area, on the edge of the New Forest, Nick, you would have heard them whereas most of us who grew up on the Itchen side of Southampton wouldn't have done. The first time I came across the word dinlo was on a Pompey messageboard.

We discussed this before:

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/154211/*-phrases-you-will-hear-in-pompey-but-not-southampton/

Anyway, local dialect differences will eventually be totally eradicated by the spread of Estuary English across the south.
[Post edited 21 May 2019 13:22]

Local Dialect on 13:21 - May 21 with 1546 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

A lot of Soton people have a slight worzel accent. Your city is where the west country accent starts. It's so slight that some people don't even notice it.

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Local Dialect on 13:22 - May 21 with 1540 viewsdirk_doone

Like Colin the Farmer Farmery, you mean?

The 657 were know as the Farmers because of their country yokel accents.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Worzel
[Post edited 21 May 2019 13:24]

Local Dialect on 13:23 - May 21 with 1537 viewsChopChop

Mush and dinlo are Romany words. I grew up in Sholing (my family had lived there for as long as any could remember) and there's a fair traveler community there. We'd often use "dick I" for have a look at this or "jel on" for shall we leave. Haven't lived in Sholing for twenty years but still use all these phrases.
[Post edited 21 May 2019 13:24]

I'd ruin her... >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Poll: Does Hatchback enjoy having a barney on here?

Local Dialect on 13:25 - May 21 with 1521 viewsChopChop

I'd agree with that, I like to think of it as a nice Hampshire burr. Pompey accent is far more of an abrasive, mockney concoction.

I'd ruin her... >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Poll: Does Hatchback enjoy having a barney on here?

Local Dialect on 13:27 - May 21 with 1518 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

No, he's from Pompey.

Your urban myth sources seem to growing in frequency.

Local Dialect on 13:28 - May 21 with 1514 viewsPatfromPoole

Fine avatar, sir.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Local Dialect on 13:28 - May 21 with 1513 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

It's actually a mixture of Hampshire, London and Bristol

Local Dialect on 13:28 - May 21 with 1510 viewsChesham_Saint

Really? I thought they were all wannabe Millwall types who affected a mockney accent to try and sound harder...

Local Dialect on 13:30 - May 21 with 1499 viewsdirk_doone

It has changed due to the inexorable spread of Estuary English which reached Portsmouth before it reached Southampton. Eventually the whole of the south will be affected by it. If you hear older people from Portsmouth speak, most of them still have the original accent with the Hampshire burr, but it's disappearing.
[Post edited 21 May 2019 13:32]

Local Dialect on 13:38 - May 21 with 1473 viewsdirk_doone

On YouTube there is an old TV documentary that Fred Dinenage made about the 657 and there are a couple of interviews with them in which you will hear the Portsmouth accent before Estuary English started to take over and then you'll realize why they were nicknamed the Farmers.

Local Dialect on 13:47 - May 21 with 1451 viewsChesham_Saint

Surely the Fishers would have been a better name....

Local Dialect on 13:50 - May 21 with 1449 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Sexy
https://lovinmanchester.com/feature/all-51-major-cities-of-england-ranked-by-the

Rhoticity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhoticity_in_English#England

Local Dialect on 14:03 - May 21 with 1403 viewsSaintNick

Dirk, I now live in Totton but I grew up in Millbrook where we wouldnt know a cow from an elephant

I never mentioned the word dinlo, I only mentioned the word Mush really, which was particular to Southampton and was the word used by the merchant navy to desribe those from Southampton due to their use of the word.

I have never heard the word shant used by anyone apart from in recent years in Pompey, I cant remember it much before the early 1990's

You are right only a few places have distinctive local accents, the cockney accent is long gone and has been diluted out into the suburbs.

Perhaps the only three areas in the country that now have truly distinctive accents not affected by the modern day are those from Liverpool, Newcastle and Birmingham and even the latter is hard to distinguish from nearby areas like Wolverhampton which is fairly similar aside from a few phrases and afflections.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Local Dialect on 18:52 - May 21 with 1248 viewsitoldyouso

skates use dinny more, claim mush as their own but i remember mush from southampton area first and foremost. Older skates definately have the hampshire burr. Younger ones not so. Its not just the spread of estuary english with the skates Paulsgrove accomodated alot of London overspill so there was bound to be some influence spreading southwards. Towards the docks the hampshire burr is more prevalent due to workers coming down from southampton keeping it more alive

Loves saints hates the fascist FLA

Local Dialect on 20:15 - May 21 with 1188 viewsinthebox

My great uncle Buggins wrote poems; bit of culture here lads, in the Ampshire dialect he was season ticket holder for many years at The Dell. And uncle Alfe who lived and worked in Norham used to call me mush all the time.

Local Dialect on 20:21 - May 21 with 1172 viewsdirk_doone

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-14945593

From Angloromani mush (“man”), from Romani mursh, from Sanskrit मनुष्य (manusha, “human being, man”)

Whilst both Southampton and Portsmouth are now claiming the word as their own, the fact is it belongs to neither. It is the Romany word for man, corrupted from old Hindi (the gypsies migrated from India) and it is used in many parts of the country. Some other Romany words, like dinlo, are more commonly used in the Portsmouth area though.
[Post edited 21 May 2019 20:39]

Local Dialect on 20:30 - May 21 with 1158 viewsHappy_Jack

If you pronounce house as ace you have an authentic Hampshire accent.

Millbrook Furnishing shop floor level banter
Poll: Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been?

Local Dialect on 21:49 - May 21 with 1080 viewsericofarabia

I grew up in Beastly Eastleigh, and our group used Mush in the 70's, normally in greetings such as awrite Mush or Watchya Mush.

On the topic of dialects and accents, I now live oop norf and there are so many different accents in such a small area its just crazy. Living midway between Liverpool and Manc which obviously have their own distanct accents even though barely 30 miles apart for starters, even smaller places like Wigan, Leigh and Bolton have their own as well. Listening to some of thee old timers chat in the local club in Leigh, I could do with sub titles!!
[Post edited 21 May 2019 22:10]

Local Dialect on 22:05 - May 21 with 1061 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Agreed. We had some Pompey builders doing our house and kitchen recently; from Havant, but they definitely had the Hampshire burr.

Also agree with 130 years that some of the more west country twangs start on the western edges of Hampshire/Southampton.

First 5 years of my life I was Bitterne Manor, but I grew up properly on the Waterside; mush, dinlo and decent accents galore. Go back now to visit the olds and everyone sounds so bland and home counties. Even people I work with form Leicester don't have anything other than a home counties accent now.

Having said that, my nearly 5 year old has been coming home from his north Hampshire school every day and now saying bu'er for butter and wa'er for water. Of course I'm correcting him ... but that shows the language modification that happens now, perhaps?

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024