Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
01:00 - Jan 1 with views

dream on fat sam on 09:16 - Feb 15 with 1353 viewsSaintNick

Assuming that Saints survive, if west ham make a decent bid for lambert then I fully expect Saints to accept it, taking away the emotional side of thiongs for a minute, Nicola Cortese's transfer policies are quite transparent, he does not like to let players grow old and leave without a transfer value, if he gets a good bid then he will accept it as they probably feel they already have his replacement at the club in Rodriguez, the planning has been in place it will happen only question is when

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

dream on fat sam on 09:18 - Feb 15 with 1338 viewsemigrant

How can yopu say he does not like players to grow old??? Please give an example??

Poll: Who Can Explain Their Investment Procedures

dream on fat sam on 09:29 - Feb 15 with 1323 views1885_SFC

Imho, Rickie should be given a 2-year contract asap. He is a legend at this club - and even removing the rose-coloured spectacles for a moment - he "only" cost us a relatively small fee when we bought him. He's been fantastic this season, and I can't see him being anything less next season - whether we're in the Premier league or the Championship.

Old School is Cool

dream on fat sam on 09:32 - Feb 15 with 1319 viewsSaintNick

I cant give an example as most of our players have been sold off along the way, look i know you like to pick a fightb with anything and everything I comment about Cortese on, but his transfer strategy is quite clear, he does not like to allow players to have a reducing transfer value, either by getting too old or indeed getting into the last year of their contracts if they are younger.

Its the soccernomics policy of knowing when your players are at their peak and if you get an offer for them in excess of their value, then having planned for their replacement sell them on, it was the way Saints worked probably from the late 50's under Ted Bates right up to the year we got relegated

I have gone on record many times as saying that I agree with this strategy

dream on fat sam on 10:00 - Feb 15 with 1287 viewsstmichael

Ricky should be given a new deal to end his carreer with the club.
Whether he will or not is debateable.
The reason for this is that he is the best player of his type in the country.
Sensational player.

Poll: Do we bring back Bernard at the weekend or stick with Bree?

dream on fat sam on 10:24 - Feb 15 with 1262 viewsSaintNick

All good points, but as is well documented our Chairman runs the club as a business with no room for sentiment, he will not pay a player good money if he doesnt think he is up to the job

dream on fat sam on 10:25 - Feb 15 with 1257 viewsthedelldays

lambert has been brilliant this season...and now skipper

with the season drawing to a close..I cannot see how lambert would not be anything but good to have in the squad

dream on fat sam on 10:29 - Feb 15 with 1252 viewsdune

Lambert is 31 tomorrow, he's not got much left in him before the injuries kick in. If WHU table a decent bid then sell him.

http://www.westmonster.com/
Poll: Given his track record should Les Reed be allowed to appoint the next manager?

dream on fat sam on 10:55 - Feb 15 with 1229 viewsButty101

I dont believe this is our policy, but ive not seen anything to prove/disprove this. The fact is that we have found it difficult to move players on regardless of age.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

dream on fat sam on 11:21 - Feb 15 with 1204 viewsSaintNick

We have found it difficult to move players on because most of them were signed in League one and now find themselves on silly wages in league 1 terms because of promotion wage increases, thats why we have 11 out on loan at the moment, league 1 or championship clubs cant afford to sign them because of the wages, however when the chance has arose we have sold players on Dan harding was an example, we signed him up to a new contract so he would have a sell on fee

dream on fat sam on 11:24 - Feb 15 with 1197 views1teeminants

Let's get a few things stright here

Lambert has already said he is very happy at soton and thinks the club are going places. Saints fc and most people realise that he is a very good striker and his record shows he is one of the best in the prem stats don't lie.No way would Cortese consider selling our best striker if we want to reach the next level .

Even if Lambert did want to leave he certainly wouldn't go to a club like relegation fodder West Ham, top six club maybe. Trouble with too many saints fans is they are so userd to being also rans that they can't see the ambition here and I believe cortese wants to reach the top and Lambert is certainly part of those plans.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

dream on fat sam on 11:37 - Feb 15 with 1168 viewshortonsaint

Manchester United don't adopt this policy with players that are long serving and still able to make important contributions although past their best It works for them, do you really prefer the Chelsea approach to the likes of Lampard?

dream on fat sam on 11:45 - Feb 15 with 1150 viewsSaintNick

Your letting emotion get in the way here rather than looking at stats, Cortese will look at cold hard facts and the first is Lamberts ability to take it to the next level, firstly there is the age thing there as someone said he is 31 tomorrow, time isnt on his side, stats show he is one of the best "english" strikers in the prem, mind you most of his peers in that bracket have tended to be either not regulars like Peter Crouch or injured ie Andy Caroll.

Cortese wont balk at bringing in a foreigner on a four year contract for big money.

I love Rickie Lambert as much as the next man, but we have to try and look at things as our chairman will, its not just about what a player can do now, its about next season and the season after

dream on fat sam on 12:00 - Feb 15 with 1135 viewsthedelldays

wouldnt you think that lambert in the squad is only a massive plus

so, looking at it from the chairmans POV if he wants to move up the table...we are better served having lambert in the match day 16 than in west hams..

dream on fat sam on 12:02 - Feb 15 with 1130 viewshortonsaint

I accept you have to be objective but until we have someone who can replace him or change the way we play, it would be folly. He is our most important player, a talisman whose presence on the pitch clearly influences his team mates and the current manager seems to rate him too. Take him out of our side and the rest of the side would be lost. Obviously he will need replacing at some point but the side will have to change the way it is set up and evolve to play without out him. To just remove him for economic reasons and expect the side to adapt straight away would be daft. I rate J Rod and he is the future but I just don't see him as the replacement, totally different player with different attributes who may be part of a side without Rickie in the future. It would not be good 'soccernomics' to sell him for his market value and then struggle on the pitch because the side is not ready to play without him.

dream on fat sam on 12:12 - Feb 15 with 1118 viewsbig_buddaH

While selling the older players in the late stages of their career, to replace them with younger ones might seem prudent. Not in this case. Rickie is the top scoring Englishman in the PL, and is only 31. He should be good for at least another 2 years.

Not only are there his goals. There is also his penalty taking, and he has often looked our most accomplished play maker. He is not just a front man to target. He drops deep, has good movement, and plays intelligent balls. His lack of pace is compensated by his other assets. Will be be past it in one or two years. I doubt it, maybe a little slower and injury prone.

Why sell him to WHU now. Obviously Fat Sam thinks he can play in the PL for 2 or 3 years. How much will he go for, maybe 4-5M? What would a replacement cost. Mayuka cost that, and is nowhere near filling RLs shoes.

I say we would be foolish to sell him now. Maybe in a couple of years, and then there will be a Championship club ready to pay more than what he cost.

dream on fat sam on 12:22 - Feb 15 with 1105 viewsSalisburySaint

I woudn't worry too much as is most unlikley that Fat Sam will not be in charge at West ham next season anyway

dream on fat sam on 13:17 - Feb 15 with 1073 viewsPatfromPoole

You can't really compare Dan Harding with Lambert though, Nick.

Harding probably couldn't spell "Prem", let alone play in it.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

dream on fat sam on 13:31 - Feb 15 with 1056 viewsSaintpaul120

Just a thought on this.

Is it possible that Mr Cortese might elevate Rickie to being an ambassador for the Saints? You know, Saints history starts here - with Rickie. We, Don Cortese, bought him and he will be our history?

I say this because the Don has no respect for anything, or anyone, before the takeover so, just a thought.

dream on fat sam on 13:45 - Feb 15 with 1042 views1teeminants

Cortese is not stupid he will know that selling one of the best premiership strikers around would not make any sense if he is to achieve his goals no brainer really. and as I've already said Lambert doesn't want to leave and certainly not to west Ham.

I reckon Ricky can keep banging them in for a couple more years yet then play in lower leagues where he came from.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

dream on fat sam on 13:48 - Feb 15 with 1031 viewsButty101

Plus Harding wasnt a 30 something. We have sold no 30 something! in fact Kelvn Davis is an example in that had a new contract then played for us this season and didnt get moved on. If what you said is correct why are we potentially letting 9 go on frees this summer when we could resign them then flog them on?

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

dream on fat sam on 14:21 - Feb 15 with 1012 viewsSkateHater

IMO Rodriguez is yet to prove he is even a prem player ... Let alone be lucky enough to be considered an adequate replacement for lambert in this ambitious Saints side ... He's too lightweight !!!

Would'nt p*ss on a skate if they were on fire !!
Poll: Does De Ridders exit suggest we might have new winger on the way ?

dream on fat sam on 17:01 - Feb 15 with 968 viewsSaintNick

Lets be sensible here, those that go in the summer are not likely to want to sign a new contract now that would effectivly reduce down their wages, someone like Ryan Dickson for example will have the wages of a Championship/Premiership player albeit a minor one due to increases written in due to promotions.

So lets say he is now on £15k a week, we arent going to offer him a new deal at £15 k a week because if he signs it we are back to square 1 again, he wont want to move to a club that will only pay him £5k a week, so with all these players we have no choice but to let them see their contracts out and leave on a free

Therefore so far we havent yet been able to implement our strategy as we will now do assuming we stay in the premier, over the years Saints have always sold their top forwards at a premier with their replacemtn already at the club, they may now feel that Rodriguez is the man to take over from Lambert, lets take emotions away now as its not what supporters feel otherwise Adkins would still be here, its reasonable to think that if say West ham offered £4 million for lambert that might represent good money.

On the other hand none of us know really whether Rodriguez can replace Lambert as he has rarely had the chance to do it, but the signs are there that he could, alternatively Saints may feel that £4 million is a good downpayment on signing a younger player for say £12 million.

Take the emotion out of your replies everyone, look at the Adkins situation, say what you want about Cortese but he has a plan and sentiment doesnt form part of that plan

dream on fat sam on 17:32 - Feb 15 with 953 viewsIceberg

if we stay in the prem and west ham offer anything like 5m + then it is a total no-brainer to let him go.

we buy him for 1m. He gets us promoted two divs and succeeds in keeping us in the prem until the really big bucks kick in. He is now in the twilight of his career.

Pochitenio will be forming the team over the summer in his own spanish way so yeah, cheers Rickie for all the goals, see ya.

That Irish steel is no match for me!
Poll: Who has already turned the central heating this autumn so far...

dream on fat sam on 17:42 - Feb 15 with 948 viewshortonsaint

Nick, I don't think anyone disputes what you are saying about Cortese's plan, we are debating whether WE think that is right, isn't that the whole point of discussion? In any case, forgetting sentiment, I think it would be the wrong footballing decision to sell him for £4m to West Ham, no doubt you'll say this can't be considered in this world of 'soccernomics'. It would also be a bit sad if as supporters we took any sentiment out of everything anyway and we don't actually know Cortese would accept an offer if the manager wants him to stay and, from what he's been quoted as saying about Lambert, it appears that he does. Rodriguez will be a top player imo but he is nowhere near being a replacement for Rickie unless his game changes dramatically over the next 6 months which I can't see. I actually question your judgement in that you have suggested he could replace him which is why I made a comment last week about under rating Rickie's imprtance to us. I genuinely think the team will have to adapt/evolve when he goes and his absence could be a lot more costly to us than a mere £4m if it's done rashly, it would be better phasing him out when the time comes. The Man Utd model for Giggs and Scholes is preferable to Chelsea's treatment of Lampard etc, and look at how they miss Drogba who could be compared to Rickie in terms of importance to their sides- that's my opinion though and will be dismissed as sentimental I expect!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024