Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Us v Bristol City - my first game in 4 years 13:58 - Mar 24 with 644 viewsPaddyA140

Saw my first game last Saturday since the 1-2 defeat v Millwall in April 2010... I was a ST holder at Layer Rd but after moving to Norwich in 2006 had only been back for maybe 10 games at the WHCS in the first couple of years there.

I've naturally followed Col U (in a somewhat passive way) since then so was familiar with the team by name if not by game and was, save for the first ten minutes of each half, pleased enough with how we knock it around. After the second Brizzle goal I was wondering why I'd made the trip, but after OUR second goal remembered precisely why it was I love being a U's supporter. My round trip with ticket, parking and petrol from Norwich was around £50 but worth it, and I'm planning to be back for one if not two of the last home games, wallet permitting.

Couple of quick questions for you fellas:

The ground looked great in the early Spring sunshine but the atmosphere was pretty poor. What's the club doing to get more through the door?

And do you think we can push on next season?

PS. Why didn't Freddie Sears start? Everyone up here is talking about Tettey's goal for Norwich but he just walloped that blind and got lucky. Sears' effort was true class!
Us v Bristol City - my first game in 4 years on 19:25 - Mar 26 with 588 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Good to have you back Paddy. I was at that Millwall and thought we were unlucky not to get a point.

The club is trying different things to get more people to attend home games but with little success. Personally I don't have an answer and I'm not sure anyone does.

I would say yes, our young players should continue to improve and with a bit more strength and experience will be better players next season. With a few decent additions we should be thinking about finishing in the top ten next season.

I believe Freddie was nursing a tight hamstring and may still be now.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Us v Bristol City - my first game in 4 years on 19:58 - Mar 26 with 582 viewswessex_exile

Us v Bristol City - my first game in 4 years on 19:25 - Mar 26 by RSCOSWORTH

Good to have you back Paddy. I was at that Millwall and thought we were unlucky not to get a point.

The club is trying different things to get more people to attend home games but with little success. Personally I don't have an answer and I'm not sure anyone does.

I would say yes, our young players should continue to improve and with a bit more strength and experience will be better players next season. With a few decent additions we should be thinking about finishing in the top ten next season.

I believe Freddie was nursing a tight hamstring and may still be now.

I'd say the reality is that despite everything the club might be doing these days to encourage fans through the turnstiles (and they do a lot in my opinion), and following it has to be said the disastrous mismanagement of their stewards in the early days which drove too many away, the only sure-fire way to get more bums on seats is a winning team. Whilst I believe Joe and the squad he has gives us lots of hope for the future, unless we're up there pushing for a play-off slot, we're going to naturally gravitate back to our standard pre-WHCS core of 3k support for most matches. That core of support at Layer Rd could create a great atmosphere, but it struggles at Cuckoo Farm despite the best efforts of the South Stand.

Paddy - weren't you about back in the old Rivals days?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Us v Bristol City - my first game in 4 years on 14:07 - Mar 28 with 542 viewsPaddyA140

Us v Bristol City - my first game in 4 years on 19:58 - Mar 26 by wessex_exile

I'd say the reality is that despite everything the club might be doing these days to encourage fans through the turnstiles (and they do a lot in my opinion), and following it has to be said the disastrous mismanagement of their stewards in the early days which drove too many away, the only sure-fire way to get more bums on seats is a winning team. Whilst I believe Joe and the squad he has gives us lots of hope for the future, unless we're up there pushing for a play-off slot, we're going to naturally gravitate back to our standard pre-WHCS core of 3k support for most matches. That core of support at Layer Rd could create a great atmosphere, but it struggles at Cuckoo Farm despite the best efforts of the South Stand.

Paddy - weren't you about back in the old Rivals days?

hi Cosworth, hi Wessex

yes, i used to post in the old Rivals days. used to go to Layer Rd with my dad 'til he died in 2004. i moved to norwich not long after but came back for each game until the move to WHCS when a new family and the price hike of an ST, combined wih the petrol/parking/pies costs, meant it all became a little un-doable.

really enjoyed myself last Saturday but shame about the size of crowds. i guess you're right - only success breeds a bigger gate, so here's hoping for the future. i miss those full-on days at Layer Rd where sitting in the main stand i could see the whites of the eyes of the Barsiders and everything in between.

looking forward to the tranmere and oldham games - both effectively 6-pointers. coming to the brentford game is a little beyond me but i'm guessing we'll be safe and brentford's destiny will have been sealed by then anyway.

up the u's
Us v Bristol City - my first game in 4 years on 15:10 - Mar 28 with 538 viewsLeadbelly

As an aside, I brought my 11 year old stepson to the Brizzle game. His first home game this season (he went to Gillingham opening day), indeed the first for a couple of seasons, and he really enjoyed it.

We watched El Classico on Sunday evening, which we agreed was just a tiny bit better than Col U v Bristol City. Despite this discrepancy he was still delighted at my suggestion of a season ticket in S4 next season. Average attendance to increase by 1...except on a school night!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024