Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne 18:45 - Apr 21 with 725 viewsbwildered

It does not matter how, where or who you play, if you fail to score you haven't done enough .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne on 18:52 - Apr 21 with 719 viewsPaddyA140

not heard Joe's interview but that sounds like only half a sentence? that said, can't argue with bwildered: you cannot win without scoring. so Brentford becomes yet another **massive** game.

can't wait!

up the u's
‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne on 18:52 - Apr 21 with 718 viewsPaddyA140

‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne on 18:52 - Apr 21 by PaddyA140

not heard Joe's interview but that sounds like only half a sentence? that said, can't argue with bwildered: you cannot win without scoring. so Brentford becomes yet another **massive** game.

can't wait!

up the u's

PS: Moyes for Col U?
‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne on 18:58 - Apr 21 with 711 viewsBarsidepete

Incredibly helpful that Bees are promoted because for them there's is little to play for; Walsall as well on 3rd May.

Was more worried about these ties a month ago, no longer..

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne on 19:56 - Apr 21 with 685 viewsRSCOSWORTH

‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne on 18:58 - Apr 21 by Barsidepete

Incredibly helpful that Bees are promoted because for them there's is little to play for; Walsall as well on 3rd May.

Was more worried about these ties a month ago, no longer..

Beware the team with "nothing" to play for.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne on 20:36 - Apr 21 with 674 viewsthrillseeker

‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne on 19:56 - Apr 21 by RSCOSWORTH

Beware the team with "nothing" to play for.

Indeed
‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne on 21:04 - Apr 21 with 663 viewsBarsidepete

‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne on 20:36 - Apr 21 by thrillseeker

Indeed

But there is a glass half empty full aspect. The us may draw two but not lose two. This club is giddy up but they're very good. Relegation? No chance :)

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne on 21:15 - Apr 21 with 650 viewswessex_exile

‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne on 20:36 - Apr 21 by thrillseeker

Indeed

Indeed indeed - I can't see Brentford suddenly taking their foot of the gas just because they're already promoted, they'll want to go out with a bang in front of their huge travelling support. Today was most definitely making sure if nothing else we didn't lose - next Saturday will be praying we can nick a point.

Joe was right though, we did do enough to win the game, and for large parts of it played very well...but, second half particularly Crewe were much improved and could count themselves unlucky not to have won it as well - how their player missed with his free header on the 6-yard line I have no idea? The U's support was noisy and constant, and well done particularly the young 'uns at the back for keeping it going throughout.

We have to take the positives - we played well in almost all departments, for the most part results went our way elsewhere (pity about Notts County though), and despite everything, there's only two matches to go and still we're not in the relegation zone.

Brentford will be a battle, but it sets things up for a blue and white invasion of Warsaw...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne on 00:07 - Apr 22 with 620 viewsdurham_exile

‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne on 21:15 - Apr 21 by wessex_exile

Indeed indeed - I can't see Brentford suddenly taking their foot of the gas just because they're already promoted, they'll want to go out with a bang in front of their huge travelling support. Today was most definitely making sure if nothing else we didn't lose - next Saturday will be praying we can nick a point.

Joe was right though, we did do enough to win the game, and for large parts of it played very well...but, second half particularly Crewe were much improved and could count themselves unlucky not to have won it as well - how their player missed with his free header on the 6-yard line I have no idea? The U's support was noisy and constant, and well done particularly the young 'uns at the back for keeping it going throughout.

We have to take the positives - we played well in almost all departments, for the most part results went our way elsewhere (pity about Notts County though), and despite everything, there's only two matches to go and still we're not in the relegation zone.

Brentford will be a battle, but it sets things up for a blue and white invasion of Warsaw...

Still working on match report.

Freddie Sears must learn to put the ball between the posts.

Colchester deserved to win today, we need another 3 points - the Bescot looms large!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne on 16:28 - Apr 22 with 543 viewsnoah4x4

I agree with Wessex, except that the 'old uns' to his right also did a fair job of maintaining the noise. But who was the idiot that heaped personal abuse on Ryan Dickson when he made an unfortunate mistake during his first nervous tackle? How can such abuse help our cause?

The only thing I will add about the match itself pending Durham's report is that I don't think the weather conditions helped good football. We played into the bright sun first half (which had moved around by HT) and the wind was so strong that Sam Walker threw a ball out for a goal kick; nothing strange about that; except that it was at the other end! This is why I reckon Dominic Vose didn't make an appearance and instead we saw the far more direct running Drey Wright when a substitution was made. It was clearly very difficult to play a neat passing game (on the deck). Crewe knew the score and used the blustery conditions well.

A draw; hence a point; was obviously less than the ideal win/three, but will no doubt be crucial. For some weeks in these threads I have been predicting 48 points will suffice for the U's; which now requires one more draw/point. Indeed, I have a sneaky suspicion that we have possibly already done enough on 47. But if we can get to just 48 points (e.g. one more); then others will need 49 given our superior goal difference. That would leave Carlisle needing five points from three games. The fact that you can only get 1 or 3 points (never 2) from a game would hence mean Carlisle need 'two wins' or a 'win and two draws' to overtake us. Surely either scenario is unlikely against Oldham; Crawley (A) and Wolves (A)? Indeed, I reckon a maximum of three points (or less) by Carlisle is far more likely given their form and remaining opponents and that wouldn't overcome our goal difference. Stevenage and Shrewsbury are also not going to catch us now we have secured this latest vital point at Gresty Road.

So it is possibly now down to being able to out-run ONE of Tranmere, Crewe or Notts County. Surely we can MATCH or better the results of one of these three? Their remaining fixtures are;

Tranmere------------Crewe----------------Notts County
Orient (A)-----------Bristol City (A)------Swindon (H)
Bradford (H)--------Preston (H)----------Oldham (A)

Surely one is going to suffer two defeats; hence we would then be safe with merely our current 47 + GD; that is unless Carlisle get a win PLUS a draw from their three quite hard games (n.b. note that 47 points isn't enough for them). Also do note that Oldham are unbeaten in seven and in a decent run of form (e.g. draws against Orient; Brentford; Coventry; Crewe and have beaten U's; Bradford and Crawley).

But if we do get another point, these others would require at least TWO points. Again, the fact you can't get 2 from one game is material. Surely two of these three are likely to lose on Saturday? So if we can steal a point against Brentford; we should (almost) be there as those that slip up would then need unlikely last day victories. In summary, a point or better still a win in our last two games will probably suffice; but let's hope it doesn't come down to two of four losing two and we hence stay up on a record low of 47.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2014 16:35]
‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne on 17:22 - Apr 22 with 530 viewsLeadbelly

‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne on 16:28 - Apr 22 by noah4x4

I agree with Wessex, except that the 'old uns' to his right also did a fair job of maintaining the noise. But who was the idiot that heaped personal abuse on Ryan Dickson when he made an unfortunate mistake during his first nervous tackle? How can such abuse help our cause?

The only thing I will add about the match itself pending Durham's report is that I don't think the weather conditions helped good football. We played into the bright sun first half (which had moved around by HT) and the wind was so strong that Sam Walker threw a ball out for a goal kick; nothing strange about that; except that it was at the other end! This is why I reckon Dominic Vose didn't make an appearance and instead we saw the far more direct running Drey Wright when a substitution was made. It was clearly very difficult to play a neat passing game (on the deck). Crewe knew the score and used the blustery conditions well.

A draw; hence a point; was obviously less than the ideal win/three, but will no doubt be crucial. For some weeks in these threads I have been predicting 48 points will suffice for the U's; which now requires one more draw/point. Indeed, I have a sneaky suspicion that we have possibly already done enough on 47. But if we can get to just 48 points (e.g. one more); then others will need 49 given our superior goal difference. That would leave Carlisle needing five points from three games. The fact that you can only get 1 or 3 points (never 2) from a game would hence mean Carlisle need 'two wins' or a 'win and two draws' to overtake us. Surely either scenario is unlikely against Oldham; Crawley (A) and Wolves (A)? Indeed, I reckon a maximum of three points (or less) by Carlisle is far more likely given their form and remaining opponents and that wouldn't overcome our goal difference. Stevenage and Shrewsbury are also not going to catch us now we have secured this latest vital point at Gresty Road.

So it is possibly now down to being able to out-run ONE of Tranmere, Crewe or Notts County. Surely we can MATCH or better the results of one of these three? Their remaining fixtures are;

Surely one is going to suffer two defeats; hence we would then be safe with merely our current 47 + GD; that is unless Carlisle get a win PLUS a draw from their three quite hard games (n.b. note that 47 points isn't enough for them). Also do note that Oldham are unbeaten in seven and in a decent run of form (e.g. draws against Orient; Brentford; Coventry; Crewe and have beaten U's; Bradford and Crawley).

But if we do get another point, these others would require at least TWO points. Again, the fact you can't get 2 from one game is material. Surely two of these three are likely to lose on Saturday? So if we can steal a point against Brentford; we should (almost) be there as those that slip up would then need unlikely last day victories. In summary, a point or better still a win in our last two games will probably suffice; but let's hope it doesn't come down to two of four losing two and we hence stay up on a record low of 47.

Without wishing to be pedantic (heaven forbid!)...if Sam Walker threw the ball out for a goal kick it would have to be at the other end. Had it been at his end it would have been a corner.

Having been away I missed both games this weekend. One point from 6 was not what we needed but still better than none. It would be a miracle if we stayed up without securing another point and we have two tough games to play.

I concur with Bwildered. Clearly we didn't do enough to win. Football is not a sport where wins and losses are dictated by points awarded by judges (luckily). The winner is always the team that scores the most goals, regardless of effort, attempts on goal, possession or any other statistic you may care to consider. Deserving to win doesn't come into it.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne on 09:41 - Apr 23 with 485 viewsAFCMorant

‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne on 16:28 - Apr 22 by noah4x4

There are lots of permutations but unless we beat Brentford, which is highly improbable I think the bottom four will be Stevenage, Shrewsbury, Carlisle and Colchester. I'll be at Walsall regardless
‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne on 14:09 - Apr 23 with 467 viewsnoah4x4

This may sound unusually negative for me; but I am convinced that the finale of this rather odd season might be more about teams avoiding defeat rather than securing wins. Our superior goal difference; our higher number of clean sheets; and our fifth highest draw ratio in Division One perhaps suggest that the U's are best equipped to avoid defeat amongst the five teams under realistic threat of joining Shrewsbury and Stevenage in Division Two.

Surely; Tranmere; Crewe; Carlisle and Notts County are not ALL going to avoid defeat on Saturday. Then those that lose then will still need to avoid another defeat; and that is if the U's do absolutely nothing from here forward other than keep any defeats under 3-0. Carlisle obviously do have an extra chance; but they are already three points + goal difference in deficit (and look at their ghastly run-in).

Like the old proverb, we don't have to outrun a hungry lion; we only have to out-run the slowest two of the four trailing behind us. Indeed, we only need MATCH the remaining results of two of these four (even if that might possibly mean 0 points!!!!). Yes, we do want to be positive and secure our own destiny by winning and bettering their results; but I find it difficult to comprehend why so many fans are talking as if we are already doomed when our vastly superior goal difference is likely to be a huge advantage.

We must believe that the team can do this; just as much as the players must believe; but if necessary; OVER TWO GAMES; . If heads drop in the crowd at WHCS and the boo-boys take over DURING Saturday's match then disaster could become a self-fulfilling prophesy and yet we will still have all to play for at Walsall. If it comes to the crunch; I would sooner be biting my fingernails at the Bescot watching a team trying to avoid defeat than be a Carlisle fan at Wolves seeking a "must win".

The sun will still be shining on Sunday morning....so let's believe in the U's...and also believe in Bristol City; Oldham; Orient and Swindon that will hopefully knock another nail in the coffin of others.
‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne on 09:01 - Apr 25 with 399 viewsAFCMorant

‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne on 14:09 - Apr 23 by noah4x4

This may sound unusually negative for me; but I am convinced that the finale of this rather odd season might be more about teams avoiding defeat rather than securing wins. Our superior goal difference; our higher number of clean sheets; and our fifth highest draw ratio in Division One perhaps suggest that the U's are best equipped to avoid defeat amongst the five teams under realistic threat of joining Shrewsbury and Stevenage in Division Two.

Surely; Tranmere; Crewe; Carlisle and Notts County are not ALL going to avoid defeat on Saturday. Then those that lose then will still need to avoid another defeat; and that is if the U's do absolutely nothing from here forward other than keep any defeats under 3-0. Carlisle obviously do have an extra chance; but they are already three points + goal difference in deficit (and look at their ghastly run-in).

Like the old proverb, we don't have to outrun a hungry lion; we only have to out-run the slowest two of the four trailing behind us. Indeed, we only need MATCH the remaining results of two of these four (even if that might possibly mean 0 points!!!!). Yes, we do want to be positive and secure our own destiny by winning and bettering their results; but I find it difficult to comprehend why so many fans are talking as if we are already doomed when our vastly superior goal difference is likely to be a huge advantage.

We must believe that the team can do this; just as much as the players must believe; but if necessary; OVER TWO GAMES; . If heads drop in the crowd at WHCS and the boo-boys take over DURING Saturday's match then disaster could become a self-fulfilling prophesy and yet we will still have all to play for at Walsall. If it comes to the crunch; I would sooner be biting my fingernails at the Bescot watching a team trying to avoid defeat than be a Carlisle fan at Wolves seeking a "must win".

The sun will still be shining on Sunday morning....so let's believe in the U's...and also believe in Bristol City; Oldham; Orient and Swindon that will hopefully knock another nail in the coffin of others.

I think you are right about the other teams, and nothing will be decided this weekend apart from Shrewsbury going down, but being a pessimist from the Saturday fixtures, I can see Crewe losing, us losing, Leyton Orient losing or drawing and Notts co drawing or winning. Carlisle v Oldham difficult to predict but a draw likely. Still it make the trip to Walsall more interesting and especially the visit to the Black Country Arms.
Bristol City V Crewe
Carlisle V Oldham
Colchester V Brentford
Leyton Orient V Tranmere
Notts County V Swindon
Shrewsbury v Peterborough
‘We did enough to win this game’ — Colchester United manager Joe Dunne on 17:35 - Apr 25 with 379 viewsbwildered

Time to do MORE than enough JD - bwildered

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024