Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colchester still on the right track for survival after stalemate at Gresty Road 10:25 - Apr 23 with 293 viewsdurham_exile

The sunshine was evident in abundance at the Alexandra Stadium (Gresty Road) and a balmy 20 degrees c meant that plenty of liquid was taken on by both players and the 180 faithful.

Now the stattos will have noted that we have lost the last 10 games home and away to to Crewe, long gone are the days of the 4-1 away wins with hat-tricks from former U’s legends like Perry Groves.

I exchanged pleasantries with the gateman who suggested that he would offer a draw now. I agreed, but stated that both teams really needed the win.

Last season we were 2-0 up at Crewe and coasting only to capitulate 3-2 after a second half horror show.

After the defeat to the Latics on Good Friday, although I was heartened by the match stats which suggested we were a tad unlucky, this game is all about putting the ball in the back of the net and sadly we are failing to do so with any consistency.

The stadium has been fully developed and the away supporters now sit along the half way line opposite the main stand. When the sun shines as it did so splendidly on Monday, then the away faithful can top up their tans.

I didn’t need to leave my weekend base in Telford until 1.20 and was at the ground comfortably to watch the warm up. Car parking is £3.50 all day in the main local authority car park and there is never a problem getting out after the game.

Attendance was 4,603 and 180 of the noisy faithful made the journey from various locations across the UK.

JD lined up his charges in the now familiar 4,2,3,1 formation:

Walker

Wilson Magnus Eastman Wynter

Bean Gilbey

Massey Sears Watt

Ibehre

Subs:

Cousins, Olufemi, Dickson, Drey Wright, Eastmond, Morrison

Colchester looked the stronger team throughout most of the first half and created a number of half chances, Jabo, Sanchez and Gavin Massey all had chances to open the scoring. I was impressed with young on loan Alex Wynter who looked assured and comfortable on the ball.

The stats showed that Colchester had 15 shots with 4 on target whilst Crewe mustered 8 with 5 on target. Our finishing is profligate at the moment unfortunately.

Sam Walker needs to rein in his kicks about 10 yards many are over hit and go straight to the opposition goal keeper or last defender. He can also throw the ball about as far as he can kick and on one occasion he threw the ball over the half way line but Jabo was unable to control it and the opportunity was lost.

He had one save to make in the first half, a dive to his right and he got two hands to the ball to deflect it wide.

The faithful were noisy and seemed in good spirits. Half time was reached with no great scares and there was the suggestion that we would convert an opportunity in the second half.

Now the game became a more tense affair second half, Steve Davis the Crewe manager made substitutions earlier than JD. The supporters sitting close to me were critical that JD had not made earlier changes but I have to say that for the first 75 minutes the players seemed more than capable of winning the match.

When Freddie Sears struck a fierce shot against the right hand upright after 66 minutes, people felt that perhaps it wasn’t to be our day. The follow up from Sanchez was well blocked by a defender.

Indeed the home MOTM was Ellis the number 5, which I suggest says a lot about the balance of play and the amount of defending which Crewe had to do.

Mathias Pogba the Crewe number 9 was a player that I would have liked to have seen play for the U’s but he had a quiet game on Monday. Their on loan striker Uche Ikpeazu had a chance to win the match for Crewe but headed horribly wide of the target. That would have been harsh on the U’s however.

JD made his subs in the last 10 minutes. Sanchez Watt who is still not 100% fit was visibly tiring and was replaced by Drey Wright. Watt is still one of my favourite players and has the ability to turn a game, Wright is still recovering from his long injury and 8 minutes is insufficient time for him to change a game.

An injury to the stalwart Magnus on 86 minutes forced a change at the back with Dickson moving to left back and the confident Wynter moving to Centre back alongside Tom Eastman. Dickson looked so keen to impress that he allowed a ball to run under his foot and out of play, but he quickly redeemed himself with a couple of dangerous crosses to Jabo and Freddie.

The hard working and unfortunate Sears was rightly substituted on 90 minutes by Tosin Olufemi. By this stage both teams had settled for a point which was not enough but took both teams to 47 points.

The result leaves the U’s nervously looking over their shoulders. Speaking to a couple of the faithful on the way out, they reckoned that we will need to win at the Bescot on the last day with neither of them thinking we will get anything from the Brentford game.

The table looks like this:

Coventry 44 -2 50
COLCHESTER 44 -12 47
Tranmere 44 -24 47
Crewe 44 -27 47

Notts Co 44 -15 46
Carlisle 43 -29 44
Shrewsbury 44 -19 41
Stevenage 44 -25 39

I will leave the detailed analysis to Noah. Suffice to say that I have said throughout that 52 points would be required. The table now suggests that realistically we need at least 50 to be sure of survival. Therefore two cup finals to play. It is still in our hands though which is the main point.

Whatever happens elsewhere, at least one win is still required and better to pick that up at home to already promoted Brentford than to sweat it out at the Bescot.

If they are all fit, then the starting XI at Crewe are the players to start at the WHCS on Saturday. I will be there and at Walsall.

Plenty of football still to be played.

Keep the faith.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024