Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Donny Rovers in Town - time for a much needed home victory 23:52 - Aug 22 with 1038 viewsdurham_exile

JD will be looking for a morale boosting and much needed home victory tomorrow against Paul Dickov's Doncaster Rovers.

The performances appear to be better than the results suggest but goals are desperately needed to end this poor start to the season.

JD is certainly buoyed by the return to fitness of Sanchez Watt, Craig Eastmond and David Wright. I imagine that Watt and Wright will not be risked just yet.

Sadly Drey Wright and Tosin Olufemi remain side-lined.

Magnus is welcomed back however.

I expect the line-up to be not dissimilar to this in the now familiar 4,2,3,1 formation:

Walker

Clohessy Magnus Eastman Gordon

Gilbey Eastmond

Vose Sears Moncur

Ibehre

Subs:

Kent Curtis Lewington Massey Holman Szmodics Bean

Enjoy the game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Donny Rovers in Town - time for a much needed home victory on 22:19 - Aug 23 with 971 viewsbwildered

All the signs are there after the U's first home league defeat, for another relegation battle . Failure to keep a clean sheet and also to score at the opposite end. Even a tripple substitution could improve matters against a side who lacked Championship quality from where they played last season.
Ironically the only worthwhile shooting opportunity lead to the U's demise with the ball being drilled home in the box by the visitors .
Is it to early to predict a bottom four finish on this display, sorry to say, quite frankly no, or our luck needs to change quickly is the bosses theory .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Donny Rovers in Town - time for a much needed home victory on 13:05 - Aug 24 with 930 viewsBarsidepete

Donny Rovers in Town - time for a much needed home victory on 22:19 - Aug 23 by bwildered

All the signs are there after the U's first home league defeat, for another relegation battle . Failure to keep a clean sheet and also to score at the opposite end. Even a tripple substitution could improve matters against a side who lacked Championship quality from where they played last season.
Ironically the only worthwhile shooting opportunity lead to the U's demise with the ball being drilled home in the box by the visitors .
Is it to early to predict a bottom four finish on this display, sorry to say, quite frankly no, or our luck needs to change quickly is the bosses theory .

Indeed. I recommend a change soon, there's that bloke in my avatar.

This is not acceptable.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Donny Rovers in Town - time for a much needed home victory on 16:23 - Aug 24 with 908 viewsnoah4x4

I can't drum up the enthusiasm to do a match report. We were awful.

Yet on Tuesday we looked super and still could not score. I am not a member if the "Dunne Out" clan, but something has to be done. Ibrehe, Sears, Holman and co couldn't hit the stand let alone the goal. Why not shoot!
Donny Rovers in Town - time for a much needed home victory on 06:31 - Aug 25 with 849 viewsthrillseeker

Donny Rovers in Town - time for a much needed home victory on 16:23 - Aug 24 by noah4x4

I can't drum up the enthusiasm to do a match report. We were awful.

Yet on Tuesday we looked super and still could not score. I am not a member if the "Dunne Out" clan, but something has to be done. Ibrehe, Sears, Holman and co couldn't hit the stand let alone the goal. Why not shoot!

WOW - we must have been bad if Noah is too disillusioned to write a report.

The lack of chances or the ability to convert chances is my biggest worry
Donny Rovers in Town - time for a much needed home victory on 07:37 - Aug 25 with 845 viewsnoah4x4

Donny Rovers in Town - time for a much needed home victory on 06:31 - Aug 25 by thrillseeker

WOW - we must have been bad if Noah is too disillusioned to write a report.

The lack of chances or the ability to convert chances is my biggest worry

Frankly I don't know what to say after the Notts County game where we should have won 2-6. We were brilliant there (24 shots)and yet couldn't score. So on a day (Donny) when chances were limited for both sides what hope did we have of scoring ANY?

There is little wrong with Joe Dunne's tactics; nor our midfield or defence and a Cureton; an Iwelumo; or Lisbie: or McGleish (et al) would prove that. But the current crop of "strikers" (Ibrehe; Sears; Holman) seem to have have no idea where the goal is.

That is probably unfair on Holman after two substitute appearances; but to me he seems a yard off the pace. In four games, Jabo has now missed more chances than he probably had in a dozen games last season. However, his workrate and application is superb. I would like to see him replace Marcus Bean and we play Sears and Bonne ahead of him. It seems to me that Jabo likes to spend most of his time away from the opposition box winning and holding up the ball!
[Post edited 25 Aug 2014 7:38]
Donny Rovers in Town - time for a much needed home victory on 08:58 - Aug 25 with 831 viewsPaddyA140

Donny Rovers in Town - time for a much needed home victory on 07:37 - Aug 25 by noah4x4

Frankly I don't know what to say after the Notts County game where we should have won 2-6. We were brilliant there (24 shots)and yet couldn't score. So on a day (Donny) when chances were limited for both sides what hope did we have of scoring ANY?

There is little wrong with Joe Dunne's tactics; nor our midfield or defence and a Cureton; an Iwelumo; or Lisbie: or McGleish (et al) would prove that. But the current crop of "strikers" (Ibrehe; Sears; Holman) seem to have have no idea where the goal is.

That is probably unfair on Holman after two substitute appearances; but to me he seems a yard off the pace. In four games, Jabo has now missed more chances than he probably had in a dozen games last season. However, his workrate and application is superb. I would like to see him replace Marcus Bean and we play Sears and Bonne ahead of him. It seems to me that Jabo likes to spend most of his time away from the opposition box winning and holding up the ball!

Agreed re Jabo - too useful to be on the bench, but he and Sears didn't really seem to know where each other were. Something needs shaking up. The midfield was packed and we weren't exactly turned over (Rovers no better than us, IMHO) but stating the obvious the goals matter and we didn't look like nabbing any. For all his industry Vose didn't link well with the front two and I'd replace Bean with Eastmond or Massey if he can't look more interested.

Still, there's not long to go before we try to make things right - Posh on Saturday!

Up the U's
Donny Rovers in Town - time for a much needed home victory on 13:30 - Aug 25 with 795 viewsdavey_ravey_snr

Donny Rovers in Town - time for a much needed home victory on 07:37 - Aug 25 by noah4x4

I'm sorry but I totally disagree with you regarding this statement "There is little wrong with Joe Dunne's tactics"

I could not fathom out our formation on Saturday. We normally play with width but there was none. When he made the triple substitution he should have changed the formation back to what we have been playing. I rate Marcus Bean but he is no way a man to play out wide. But then again I'm pretty sure he wanted the full backs to fill the gaps on the wings, but it just didn't work.
Donny Rovers in Town - time for a much needed home victory on 09:26 - Aug 26 with 745 viewsSector4

I agree that it was the formation that was our undoing on Saturday. By all accounts , the team created numerous chances at Notts County so I don’t understand the reason for the change to a diamond in midfield.

The lack of width was woefully exposed. Marcus Bean is unsuited to play one of the wider roles in this formation, if this was the way Joe wanted to go surely Bean should have been at the base in front of the back four with Alex Gilbey in a wider role . I feel this was a match losing tactical decision similar to playing Gavin Massey out of position at right back against Tranmere last season.

Two seasons ago the width used by the likes of Massey and George Porter was instrumental in avoiding relegation. Whilst injuries have ruled out Watt and Drey Wright there is still Massey and Vose who could provide this width.

I think it is early to judge Holman as his opportunities have been so few but I agree that he does appear to be off the pace. Perhaps it is due to lack of match practice and hopefully 90 minutes against Palace U21s will help to sharpen him. I am unsure why Bonne has not been a substitute, I assume he has fully recovered from his injury as he was in the squad for Notts County. I would like to see him on the bench on Saturday, his winner when Peterborough last visited was one of the highlights of the season.
Login to get fewer ads

Donny Rovers in Town - time for a much needed home victory on 17:45 - Aug 26 with 713 viewsBarsidepete

Donny Rovers in Town - time for a much needed home victory on 09:26 - Aug 26 by Sector4

I agree that it was the formation that was our undoing on Saturday. By all accounts , the team created numerous chances at Notts County so I don’t understand the reason for the change to a diamond in midfield.

The lack of width was woefully exposed. Marcus Bean is unsuited to play one of the wider roles in this formation, if this was the way Joe wanted to go surely Bean should have been at the base in front of the back four with Alex Gilbey in a wider role . I feel this was a match losing tactical decision similar to playing Gavin Massey out of position at right back against Tranmere last season.

Two seasons ago the width used by the likes of Massey and George Porter was instrumental in avoiding relegation. Whilst injuries have ruled out Watt and Drey Wright there is still Massey and Vose who could provide this width.

I think it is early to judge Holman as his opportunities have been so few but I agree that he does appear to be off the pace. Perhaps it is due to lack of match practice and hopefully 90 minutes against Palace U21s will help to sharpen him. I am unsure why Bonne has not been a substitute, I assume he has fully recovered from his injury as he was in the squad for Notts County. I would like to see him on the bench on Saturday, his winner when Peterborough last visited was one of the highlights of the season.

Quality insight, Sec4.

I remain in the mindset, JD, not the bloke. Mark Kinsella, in please... Someone crucial to the U's success and he will crack the whip.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024