Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Under 21's smashed 0 - 5......Wright (Drey), Vose and Szmodics all injured 09:41 - Oct 14 with 419 viewsnoah4x4

Last night, a very youthful United U21’s got thumped by a clearly much older, classier, more powerful Sheffield Wednesday side. Fair play to the visitors, but I left WHCS thinking that something is wrong within this normally very consistent and encouraging U’s Academy group after a second mauling in consecutive games…..;

The U’s U21 ‘professional’ development side included five youngsters with recent First XI experience. Drey Wright, Szmodics, Vose, Lawrence, Bonne. Well, five started, but one never got out of neutral, let alone into any higher gears. Dominic Vose; having earlier that day been publicly bawled out in the Gazette for a lack of effort and application; didn’t look as though he wanted to be on the pitch. I don’t recall him touching the ball or making a tackle in the first half. Then, when he did in the second half, he limped off at the first opportunity. I sit surrounded by fans that have frequently called for his greater involvement in the First XI. But last night, they left universally commenting upon “having greater understanding of the attitude problems that seem to have blighted Vose’s career”. Dominic, you are doing yourself no favours, and although I wasn’t comfortable reading ANY observations about player attitude written in the Gazette this wasn’t the way to respond; given that your replacement, Dominic Smith, did impress.

I have highlighted the word ‘professional’ as this performance certainly wasn’t. Even the little things looked sloppy. For example; the game commenced with no (Academy) ball-boys in three stands; they lethargically ambled out later. Where was the ‘warm up’ and similar touchline routines that the First XI always does at the start of each half? For the sake of continuity these things do matter. Frankly, very little felt right and the apparent lack of structure and organisation on the pitch was really weird for these usually well-drilled youngsters. Yet Wayne Brown was less animated than John Ward (is that possible?) and seemed to offer the youngsters little guidance or encouragement from the technical area.

Our inexperienced defence was frequently shot to bits, notably after Kevin Lokko departed after a nasty head injury. Kane Vincent-Young hence moved inside to Centre-Half and Tyler Brampton to Right Back. Vincent-Young had many impressive forays in attack, but I fear that he forgot that he had inherited a revised primary role and too often we were caught on the counter. But let’s not be too critical of the young boys in the back four, as frankly, the older and more experienced Owls attackers were thugs, notably the centre forward that should have been booked under ‘totting up’ for multiple offences with malice aforethought. Our heads didn’t drop as the goals rained in and effort from all except one U’s player wasn’t the issue. Oddly for a severe thrashing, it was the performance of our more senior player located ahead of our defence that was of greatest concern.

A seriously overworked Sammie Szmodics bravely compensated for our wider defensive frailties and earned a nasty gash on his already troubled ankle; following which he limped throughout the game and repeated requested that he be substituted. He was treated from the technical area as if a wimp and forced to battle to the end. He gets 10/10 for a M.O.M effort; but I must reserve judgement as regards the wisdom of keeping him on the pitch until I see his presence on the team sheet for Saturday. More worrying was that Drew Wright was later carried off in serious distress. My guess is that amongst the three regular first teamers that were injured; only Dominic Vose may be fit for Saturday. If so, I hope that he uses his chance wisely, as his honeymoon with 'his fans' is possibly over; especially amongst those that witnessed this display of petulance.

My overwhelming impression during the first 75 minutes was of a relatively experienced U's midfield and attack filled with headless chickens. Gone was the slick close passing that has for so long been typical of our Academy youngsters and that was replaced by much hoof and hard running thrusts by Drey Wright, Bonne and Lawrence; all full of laudable enthusiasm and effort; but each seemed to have only one attacking game plan; which was to individually run at the defence and shoot wildly from 30 yards. It’s true that the Owls goalkeeper was shorter than normal and did need testing early; but once he had demonstrated his agility, a more tempered, more typical U’s passing style and approach was desirable. That style only developed once Smith had replaced Vose and ‘movement OFF the ball’ down both flanks became available. Indeed, like at Orient, we did look better once down to ten men and forced to adopt a more defensive shape. But I wonder, were our lads possibly playing to instructions? Tactically, this was an utter train crash; and for once I wanted the U21's to mimic the First XI; rather than the reverse. My doubt is do the U21's now have the right leadership after Tony Hume's promotion? They haven't suddenly become a bad team leaking five goals.
Under 21's smashed 0 - 5......Wright (Drey), Vose and Szmodics all injured on 23:11 - Oct 15 with 349 viewsmfb_cufc

Drey Wright is not as badly hurt as first thought. In fact could even make the squad for Saturday. It is obvious Humes doesn't rate Vose, so it is inevitable he will be following Jabo and Bean out of the club.

mfb

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024