Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How the hell didn't we win that one? 22:39 - Oct 18 with 734 viewsgerry_us

Our profligacy in front of goal is going to become a serious problem soon.
Both Sears and Massey could (or should?) have scored hat tricks.
Freddie's goal could be goal of the season only would have been bettered by his one that hit the bar and unfortunately came back out.
And back on my old hobby horse. How can we allow a totally free headed goal from four yards from a free kick from the edge / corner of the penalty area? Please Mr "giant goalkeeper", command your box!
No doubt a full and better considered report from Durham tomorrow.
How the hell didn't we win that one? on 23:15 - Oct 18 with 726 viewsBarsidepete

You had me at profligacy.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

How the hell didn't we win that one? on 09:09 - Oct 19 with 706 viewsthrillseeker

Thoroughly enjoyable game

I feel Hewitt has to take most blame for their goal as he let Fallon have a free run.

Went to the Honest Lawyer pub near station and was served by a delightfully attractive blonde which along with performance made the day worthwhile. She scored highly
How the hell didn't we win that one? on 13:09 - Oct 19 with 677 viewsnoah4x4

How the hell didn't we win that one? on 09:09 - Oct 19 by thrillseeker

Thoroughly enjoyable game

I feel Hewitt has to take most blame for their goal as he let Fallon have a free run.

Went to the Honest Lawyer pub near station and was served by a delightfully attractive blonde which along with performance made the day worthwhile. She scored highly

If Durham is doing a report, all I will add is the free kick from which they scored came from a second 'dive' in five minutes by the same cheat, also Moncur and Healey both should have scored.

Whilst we should have won comfortably, we we also lucky not to go 2:1 down when we nearly gifted them a goal. Also I dont blame Walker for the goal.
How the hell didn't we win that one? on 17:42 - Oct 19 with 650 viewsthrillseeker

Completely agree with Noah that Walker was blameless for the goal
How the hell didn't we win that one? on 18:58 - Oct 19 with 639 viewsnoah4x4

Cross was too low and too close to the near post for the keeper to go for it via an overcrowded box. He cant even get a punch in at chest height without risk of a penalty and red card. Hewitt should have more easily dealt. How the attacker got a yard of space and a free header was just sloppy defending, but a clever and obviously well practiced move.
How the hell didn't we win that one? on 19:30 - Oct 19 with 632 viewsgerry_us

How the hell didn't we win that one? on 18:58 - Oct 19 by noah4x4

Cross was too low and too close to the near post for the keeper to go for it via an overcrowded box. He cant even get a punch in at chest height without risk of a penalty and red card. Hewitt should have more easily dealt. How the attacker got a yard of space and a free header was just sloppy defending, but a clever and obviously well practiced move.

Must be just me then that thinks that Walker doesn't put himself into the areas of "pain" that comes with the job of goal keeping. Can't accept that with a ball played into the six yard box he stays stationary on his line and expects his defenders to deal with it. Sorry, dereliction of duty that!
How the hell didn't we win that one? on 09:19 - Oct 20 with 606 viewsnoah4x4

Just watched it again on U's player.....

Just as I thought in 'real time'; for the Scunny goal the ball was headed from the eastern corner of the six yard box from which one might usually expect a 'flick on' rather than a direct bullitt. Hence; headed from two yards east of Walker's near post; and the ball was struck about 4ft 6ins off the ground. To personally deal with that, Walker would have had to vacate the entire width of his eight yard wide goal mouth and hence be six yards from its centre; hence adopting positioning for which he was (rightfully) criticised against Gillingham & Fleetwood when he DIDN'T get the ball (we can't have it both ways; a 'flick on' was more likely). To deal with this he would have had to get through a crowded six yard box and at best punch it; but then with every chance (given such a low ball) he would have clattered the attacker and a penalty conceded.

Once he had left his position and gone for it the slightest touch/flick by any player would have then had the ball skimming along the front of a (now) empty net where a minimal touch might produce a goal (or O.G); but then at a height and pace where he might deal with it if provided that he had initially held his position. Instead, the sheer pace of an unexpectedly powerful bullitt header beat him on the near post. The fault (IMHO) lay entirely with a defence (notably Hewitt) that was half asleep; didn't see the near post danger and allowed the attacker to get a yard ahead inside a distance of no more than that. We probably should have had somebody on the near post; and/or at least had a (two man?) a ten yard 'wall' as even a clean shot on target might have been as troublesome. The defence was simply not alert.

As regards the chances on goal; the fact that BOTH sides missed so many sitters sums up why we are mutually in the danger area.
How the hell didn't we win that one? on 10:12 - Oct 20 with 596 viewsgerry_us

How the hell didn't we win that one? on 09:19 - Oct 20 by noah4x4

Just watched it again on U's player.....

Just as I thought in 'real time'; for the Scunny goal the ball was headed from the eastern corner of the six yard box from which one might usually expect a 'flick on' rather than a direct bullitt. Hence; headed from two yards east of Walker's near post; and the ball was struck about 4ft 6ins off the ground. To personally deal with that, Walker would have had to vacate the entire width of his eight yard wide goal mouth and hence be six yards from its centre; hence adopting positioning for which he was (rightfully) criticised against Gillingham & Fleetwood when he DIDN'T get the ball (we can't have it both ways; a 'flick on' was more likely). To deal with this he would have had to get through a crowded six yard box and at best punch it; but then with every chance (given such a low ball) he would have clattered the attacker and a penalty conceded.

Once he had left his position and gone for it the slightest touch/flick by any player would have then had the ball skimming along the front of a (now) empty net where a minimal touch might produce a goal (or O.G); but then at a height and pace where he might deal with it if provided that he had initially held his position. Instead, the sheer pace of an unexpectedly powerful bullitt header beat him on the near post. The fault (IMHO) lay entirely with a defence (notably Hewitt) that was half asleep; didn't see the near post danger and allowed the attacker to get a yard ahead inside a distance of no more than that. We probably should have had somebody on the near post; and/or at least had a (two man?) a ten yard 'wall' as even a clean shot on target might have been as troublesome. The defence was simply not alert.

As regards the chances on goal; the fact that BOTH sides missed so many sitters sums up why we are mutually in the danger area.

You say "We probably should have had somebody on the near post; and/or at least had a (two man?) a ten yard 'wall' as even a clean shot on target might have been as troublesome. The defence was simply not alert"
And who should be marshalling that defence? I sat with Durham no more than a few yards behind the goal and not once during the first half did I hear Walker say a thing to his defence, not even at the free kick.
Second half when the Scunny keeper arrived we certainly heard him throughout the half.
We'll continue to disagree on this on Noah. I don't deny he is a good shot stopper but there is so much more to the job than that. We must try to meet sometime for an "in depth" discussion. Could be fun.
Login to get fewer ads

How the hell didn't we win that one? on 17:44 - Oct 20 with 560 viewsBarsidepete

How the hell didn't we win that one? on 10:12 - Oct 20 by gerry_us

You say "We probably should have had somebody on the near post; and/or at least had a (two man?) a ten yard 'wall' as even a clean shot on target might have been as troublesome. The defence was simply not alert"
And who should be marshalling that defence? I sat with Durham no more than a few yards behind the goal and not once during the first half did I hear Walker say a thing to his defence, not even at the free kick.
Second half when the Scunny keeper arrived we certainly heard him throughout the half.
We'll continue to disagree on this on Noah. I don't deny he is a good shot stopper but there is so much more to the job than that. We must try to meet sometime for an "in depth" discussion. Could be fun.

In simple terms, draw is good but where are the actual wins, away or at home. The Wessie, home wins because I don't want to feel hopeful when we spin our wheels at Cuckoo Farm. We need wins at home.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

How the hell didn't we win that one? on 10:53 - Oct 21 with 511 viewsLeadbelly

The EADT this morning says we have won 24 of our last 75 home games. WHCS has not resembled a fortress since we moved there.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

How the hell didn't we win that one? on 13:50 - Oct 24 with 398 viewsRSCOSWORTH

For Tuesday night this could be changed to "How the hell did we win that one?"

We certainly didn't deserve all three points although I'm not sure they did either. 1-1 was probably a fair result but Sears' goal deserved to win any football match and it only did because of Big Sam's stunning save in stoppage time (Did you miss that one Gerry?)

Does anyone else not really rate Hewitt defensively? I wasn't that impressed with him on Tuesday night.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

How the hell didn't we win that one? on 15:23 - Oct 24 with 394 viewsgerry_us

How the hell didn't we win that one? on 13:50 - Oct 24 by RSCOSWORTH

For Tuesday night this could be changed to "How the hell did we win that one?"

We certainly didn't deserve all three points although I'm not sure they did either. 1-1 was probably a fair result but Sears' goal deserved to win any football match and it only did because of Big Sam's stunning save in stoppage time (Did you miss that one Gerry?)

Does anyone else not really rate Hewitt defensively? I wasn't that impressed with him on Tuesday night.

Nice one RSC. Yes I did note the tip over late on in the game but at 6' 7" 'ish he should be good at the high ones..... and crosses into the box?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024