Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Halloween almost . 18:13 - Oct 22 with 640 viewsbwildered

It was Halloween almost on a wild and wholly night at the WHCS last night . The U 's endured a nightmare start with the vistors taking the lead in the first minute, after Kent was pole axed and with the resultant one two threaded into the box , and turned home from a tight angle.
Thereafter the U's never got to grips with the wind and constantly lost the ball going forwarded usually playing too much aerial ball and never really troubled the visitors during the rest of the half.
However with the change around, TH took off Moncur in midfield and was replaced with Healy and straight away the extra pace of two upfont unsettled the defence. This opened the game up playing 4-4-2 and a delightful move saw the U's level with Magnus and Massey playing Healy in to slot home at the far post . Now level the U's went looking for a killer and although Healy had another simaliar effort go wide went a square ball was required it really was a surprise the winner came so late on . Sears gathered a ball from Massey and worked a opening to fire into the top corner giving the keeper no chance, a quality strike at any level.
A real team effort on and off the field see the U's get two home wins on the bounce for two years, a sequel will be most welcome.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Halloween almost . on 20:33 - Oct 22 with 623 viewsBarsidepete

I cannot for the life of me believe the ref didn't stop play right there, Kent down. I mean are you kidding?

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Halloween almost . on 21:28 - Oct 22 with 607 viewsgerry_us

We looked so much more dangerous when we finally went 442 on Saturday. Just surprised it took TH so long to get to there on Tuesday night. Hopefully we will start with that formation on Saturday. Freddie needs company to perform at the highest level.
Halloween almost . on 15:33 - Oct 23 with 555 viewsnoah4x4

4-4-2 is fine when we are playing catch-up. But requires too much work by the full-backs as its easy to counter-attack it. Swindon will punish us. Better we stick with "one up" and play our regular game.
Halloween almost . on 20:48 - Oct 23 with 528 viewswessex_exile

Halloween almost . on 20:33 - Oct 22 by Barsidepete

I cannot for the life of me believe the ref didn't stop play right there, Kent down. I mean are you kidding?

Totally Pete.

Me and my Spireite mate Craig listened to this one with beers on U's Player - to be honest, even though Frankie was eventually carried off with quite a nasty injury, we were wondering at the time whether there was a large slice of sour grapes from the (U's) commentators after the goal. Having now actually seen the incident on video, it was frankly an appalling decision not to stop the game there and then. Not just that Kent took the ball full-on in the head and dropped like a sack of spuds utterly motionless, but it was in full view of the referee too, who had more than enough time to blow the whistle before the goal was scored. Obviously, in the final analysis it didn't really matter, but it still was a very poor (absence of) decision.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Halloween almost . on 22:41 - Oct 23 with 512 viewsgerry_us

Halloween almost . on 15:33 - Oct 23 by noah4x4

4-4-2 is fine when we are playing catch-up. But requires too much work by the full-backs as its easy to counter-attack it. Swindon will punish us. Better we stick with "one up" and play our regular game.

One up means we are only looking not to lose?
Surely we should be looking to win and the only way at present we are scoring goals is with two up front. Can't believe you think that negativity is what is needed for a move up the league.
Halloween almost . on 22:49 - Oct 23 with 512 viewsmfb_cufc

This was the same idiot ref that disallowed Gillespies good goal against Charlton a few seasons ago. We must have upset him sometime in the past.

mfb

Halloween almost . on 23:33 - Oct 23 with 506 viewswessex_exile

Halloween almost . on 22:41 - Oct 23 by gerry_us

One up means we are only looking not to lose?
Surely we should be looking to win and the only way at present we are scoring goals is with two up front. Can't believe you think that negativity is what is needed for a move up the league.

Horses for courses Gerry

Much as I love to see free-flowing attacking football, against a team like Swindon, and away, I'd rather we started from a "don't lose" philosophy, then hit them on the break with our pace taking the opportunities that Swindon's style presents...

...at least, that's the theory - if we're 2-0 down after 20 minutes me and the boy will be bellowing for my preferred subbuteo line-up 2-3-5

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Halloween almost . on 08:58 - Oct 24 with 488 viewsnoah4x4

This Bleacher Report Article identifies over a dozen possible tactical formations and highlights how various respected managers have used them effectively and also what specific players were necessary to make each work. See http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1375589-15-tactical-formations-and-what-theyr

Even 2-3-5 is listed here, and mention that Wrexham Druids took it a step further during the 1878 Welsh Cup final by playing a 2-2-6, only to find out that, six years earlier, England had played a 1-2-7 against Scotland (Wessex to note; sadly, your Subbuteo hence isn't credited as the origin).

But the footie tactical site that I like most is http://performance.fourfourtwo.com/

Here one can gain a video understanding (from experts) why the historic "4-4-2" of the 1970's and 80's has largely been abandoned and instead wherever a modern varient of 4-4-2 is adopted; it is more likely to be the "4-4-2 Diamond" and two varients of that exist ('narrow' and 'wide'). However, THE most succesful coaches are far more innovative. The Bleacher Report Article slideshow is a jolly good informative but easy read; wheareas the other site is much more intellectual (e.g. probably why Doogie has given up on coaching).

The skill is evidently in choosing the (many) formations (PLURAL) that best suit the talents of your players whilst countering the anticipated formation of your opposition. Of course, if the opposition counter that one also needs a Plan B and possibly C & D. Then tactical substitutions will come into play (brilliantly evidenced by Nigel Clough's counter to Tony Hume's error a few weeks ago at WHCS).

The performancefourfourtwo (e.g. the more technical) site helps one better appreciate why manager A might consistently get better results than manager B from players of identical talent (or from the same group after a managerial change). But credit where due, Tony Humes has been on the money for all bar two matches since he took over.

If we go 4-4-2 against Swindon I think we might be 4-2 down by half time. Having watched Swindon against Orient, they move the ball incredibly fast and will expolit the gaps a typical 4-4-2 will offer when we throw two players forward supported down the flanks. I'd stick to 'one up' with closer midfield support unless chasing the game....and that isn't negative (see the recommended Internet articles).
[Post edited 24 Oct 2014 9:00]
Login to get fewer ads

Halloween almost . on 18:19 - Oct 24 with 454 viewsdurham_exile

Wessex the joy of 2,3,5

Those were the good old days.

I think that we are good enough to get a result at the County Ground on Saturday.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024