Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
And Number 2 will play.............. 11:17 - Nov 10 with 572 viewsdurham_exile

Up the U's

1 - Mansfield Town or Concord Rangers
2 - Colchester United
3 - Yeovil Town
4 - York City or AFC Wimbledon
5 - Walsall or Shrewsbury Town
6 - Notts County or Accrington Stanley
7 - Bradford City
8 - Warrington Town
9 - Eastleigh
10 - Basingstoke or AFC Telford
11 - Dagenham & Redbridge or Southport
12 - Weston-super-Mare or Doncaster Rovers
13 - Peterborough United
14 - Cheltenham Town
15 - Dartford
16 - Chesterfield
17 - Wycombe Wanderers
18 - Bristol City
19 - Portsmouth or Aldershot Town
20 - Gateshead
21 - Crewe Alexandra or Sheffield United
22 - Oxford United
23 - Tranmere Rovers
24 - Chester
25 - Luton Town
26 - Stevenage or Maidstone United
27 - Bury
28 - Cambridge United
29 - Northampton Town or Rochdale
30 - Dover Athletic
31 - MK Dons
32 - Wrexham
33 - Plymouth Argyle
34 - Barnsley
35 - Hartlepool United
36 - Worcester City
37 - Oldham Athletic
38 - Havant & Waterlooville or Preston
39 - Blyth Spartans
40 - Scunthorpe United

Ties to be played on 5, 6 and 7 December 2014.

Read more at http://www.cu-fc.com/news/article/101114-us-await-second-round-opponents-2073944

Durham_exile

And Number 2 will play.............. on 12:19 - Nov 10 with 556 viewsDaniel

I'm always hopefully for an away draw at a league ground I've not been to before. That leaves me little choice this round...

4 - York City or AFC Wimbledon
22 - Oxford United
And Number 2 will play.............. on 19:19 - Nov 10 with 518 viewsDaniel

Peterbore at home.
And Number 2 will play.............. on 19:29 - Nov 10 with 510 viewsFruitbat

And Number 2 will play.............. on 19:19 - Nov 10 by Daniel

Peterbore at home.

What a deeply uninspiring draw that is.
And Number 2 will play.............. on 22:20 - Nov 10 with 479 viewsdurham_exile

And Number 2 will play.............. on 19:29 - Nov 10 by Fruitbat

What a deeply uninspiring draw that is.

Peterbore ..................but this time, we will see them off.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

And Number 2 will play.............. on 08:55 - Nov 11 with 463 viewsnoah4x4

OK, this particular draw might mean that there is possibly a little less chance of the U's getting to Third Round, but our prospects of winning the cup don't change (e.g. nil).

So isn't it a case that our only real interest in the FA Cup is in the revenue that it offers from having a decent "run" and maybe from playing a big club in Round Three? More revenue may mean more helpful player budget becoming available under 'Financial Fair Play' Rules. So how best do we achieve that?

I reckon that it is better that we get a decent Round Two crowd at Home (and here; we might possibly secure amongst the higher attendances of the Second Round) than instead we play a minnow AWAY (and lose!) in front of a mere 2,000. For example; in Round 1, only 1,206 attended Braintree/Chesterfield; 2,013 at Gosport/U's; 1,719 at Forest Green/Scunny. Gone are the days when the population of an entire town would get behind its non-league club when hosting a Division One Team.

More pertinently, when will the wider population of Colchester get behind its Division 1 team in any competition unless playing Chelsea?! So similarly, had we drawn a minnow at Home in R2 we might get a crowd of under 2,500. Instead I suspect it now will be 5,000 +.

The BBC TV deal also means 'media fees' for this round are secure irrespective of whom we play. OK, win and we get more prize money cash (and possibly a Premier Club next); but I reckon cash in the bank at each (and every) stage is more valuable than mere speculative promise of "jam tomorrow" given our dire record of cup progress.

Posh have a great FA Cup pedigree (BBC will focus upon) and the U's will be the underdogs. It's a local derby (more media interest) given that we are, at least, in the same ITV/BBC catchments. Posh will hence bring a large contingent of followers (1,000+) including folk that would probably NOT normally travel away for a routine league game (just as we took a few more fans to Gosport than is normal for such a long trip). The pitch will be good and we won't have any opposition surprises.

Win and we might still get Manchester United at home in R3. Lose and we keep our dignity and pocket some decent cash. Whatever the result; after a few beers in the Victoria Inn or Bricklayers; we will still be moaning. We must be the only set of fans that can watch its team score SIX (as I predicted!) and then moan louder than any praise because we let in three.

Yes, after bagging the first three we conspicuously took our foot off the gas at times (or got over committed) and hence we let Gosport have some fun; helped by a referee and linesman happy to let the game flow when others might have flagged for offside's; balls out, hand balls etc (funny how we don't moan about poor refereeing when we are winning - heard only one chant of "you don't know what you are doing"!). But all the TV pundits were praising the "difference in class" and there was even mention of our players with "Premier league pedigree Enuff said, I enjoyed my day out.
And Number 2 will play.............. on 17:10 - Nov 11 with 437 viewsmfb_cufc

No way will there be 5,000+ for this game. Playing a team in the same league just wont appeal to the fans. Will be lucky to get 3,500.

mfb

And Number 2 will play.............. on 17:37 - Nov 11 with 432 viewsnoah4x4

"Lucky to get 3,500"?

I envisage the usual (sad) Colchester apathy, but not from Posh fans.

We quite recently enjoyed 4,014 versus Posh at WHCS on 30th August 2014. Then historically (all League One);

26 October 2013 4,149
28 January 2011 4,645
25 April 2009 6,532

So below 3,500 seems a tad unlikely.

I genuinely reckon on 5,000 + given that Posh have a long FA Cup pedigree and this isn't a routine league game. Just as we took more fans to Gosport than might usually travel to most U's longer distance away games, I believe Posh will also sell more tickets than usual given this is the F A Cup.
And Number 2 will play.............. on 18:10 - Nov 11 with 429 viewsmfb_cufc

Also season ticket holders have to pay, and some will be dragged off for Christmas shopping. I would love it if we do get 5,000+, as it will mean more money for the club, but just can't see it.

mfb

Login to get fewer ads

And Number 2 will play.............. on 19:33 - Nov 11 with 421 viewsnoah4x4

One can see how Xmas Shopping might be an unfortunate blight for some. Here I sympathise, as I am blessed that Mrs Noah prefers it that I am not under her feet when doing any form of shopping and it's probably best that I don't know what she spends. So football is rather convenient to both.

It's also a shame that Ipswich are at home (against Leeds). Then if we really want to be negative, we had better factor in the impact of the 'Hainault Hangout Meccano Exhibition of 2014' (at Barkingside from 10.00am); the biggest collection of working models on display in Essex since the 1960's; or more locally, 'Jack & the Beanstalk' at Nayland Village Hall.

We won't know the actual WHCS crowd numbers until 6th or maybe 7th December. Hang on a mo, let's hope it's not the Sunday (just to suit TV) as the South Stand will then be at church; the West Stand playing golf; and the East Stand doing homework. I am, of course jesting. Surely we will enjoy 4,000 + and hopefully 5,000 (but will we?).

Let's simply be optimistic for a decent day out, a decent attendance, and loads of lovely Real Ale (win or lose).
And Number 2 will play.............. on 19:38 - Nov 11 with 419 viewsnoah4x4

Bummer, now a local reader of 'Railway Modelers World' is off to Barkingside. Why did I mention 'Meccano'.

Anybody want to sit next to me?
And Number 2 will play.............. on 22:22 - Nov 11 with 400 viewsBarsidepete

And Number 2 will play.............. on 19:38 - Nov 11 by noah4x4

Bummer, now a local reader of 'Railway Modelers World' is off to Barkingside. Why did I mention 'Meccano'.

Anybody want to sit next to me?

I'd buy you a bovril, mate

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

And Number 2 will play.............. on 14:00 - Nov 12 with 369 viewsRSCOSWORTH

And Number 2 will play.............. on 18:10 - Nov 11 by mfb_cufc

Also season ticket holders have to pay, and some will be dragged off for Christmas shopping. I would love it if we do get 5,000+, as it will mean more money for the club, but just can't see it.

I'm with MFB here. I'd be surprised if there's more than 3,000 there especially given that it's now on TV and a 16:30 kick off on a Sunday!

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

And Number 2 will play.............. on 14:54 - Nov 12 with 365 viewsBarsidepete

And Number 2 will play.............. on 14:00 - Nov 12 by RSCOSWORTH

I'm with MFB here. I'd be surprised if there's more than 3,000 there especially given that it's now on TV and a 16:30 kick off on a Sunday!

Cup games at the Wessie don't attract a lot of supporters. But on the positive side, it IS at the Cuckoo Farm, v the Posh, meaning more can attend, not just the loyal faithful hardened supporters who travel (or exiles nearby). Here's hoping for an away at Chelsea or West Ham in the third round. Now that's a day out :D

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

And Number 2 will play.............. on 14:58 - Nov 12 with 365 viewsnoah4x4

And Number 2 will play.............. on 14:00 - Nov 12 by RSCOSWORTH

Now it's live on BT Sport TV I am now with you both, and any bets are off!

Whilst a minority channel (but I subscribe) enough pubs and folk do have BT Sport to cause a potential drop in attendance. However, it might also be an interesting social experiment. I wonder how many that were unwillingly dragged around Xmas shopping on the Saturday might now attend? Similarly how many extra children. Most November sunday afternoons are pretty drab, and there is less competition for one's time (a 16.30 K.O means after church; after sunday lunch; after visiting Mum). Attendance might not be as bad as we envisage and I guess that the club will get a more than adequate extra pay out from the BT TV, plus extra sponsorships/advertising and similar rights to compensate for the loss of perhaps 1,500 x £19 tickets. On balance, probably the best outcome.
And Number 2 will play.............. on 15:56 - Nov 12 with 357 viewsRSCOSWORTH

And Number 2 will play.............. on 14:58 - Nov 12 by noah4x4

Now it's live on BT Sport TV I am now with you both, and any bets are off!

Whilst a minority channel (but I subscribe) enough pubs and folk do have BT Sport to cause a potential drop in attendance. However, it might also be an interesting social experiment. I wonder how many that were unwillingly dragged around Xmas shopping on the Saturday might now attend? Similarly how many extra children. Most November sunday afternoons are pretty drab, and there is less competition for one's time (a 16.30 K.O means after church; after sunday lunch; after visiting Mum). Attendance might not be as bad as we envisage and I guess that the club will get a more than adequate extra pay out from the BT TV, plus extra sponsorships/advertising and similar rights to compensate for the loss of perhaps 1,500 x £19 tickets. On balance, probably the best outcome.

I agree, I reckon it might have a lesser effect than it say being on the BBC on the Saturday.

We're getting £72K.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

And Number 2 will play.............. on 22:54 - Nov 12 with 338 viewsdurham_exile

And Number 2 will play.............. on 15:56 - Nov 12 by RSCOSWORTH

I agree, I reckon it might have a lesser effect than it say being on the BBC on the Saturday.

We're getting £72K.

Plus the £27K for beating Peterbore!!!!!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024