Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ched Evans back at Blades........... 10:41 - Nov 12 with 682 viewsgerry_us

I am absolutely astounded at the decision by Sheffield United to allow Ched Evans to come back anywhere near their club.
So glad to see Charlie Webster's decision last evening and hopefully it will show the Blade's board the stupidity and insensitivity of their decision. It is hard to believe that they have taken him back on board without the eventual intention of restoring him to a stuttering team. God help us all if he returns to the team aspiring to be a "role model".
I for one will not be attending the Blades V U's fixture in February if this guy is still at the club in any way, shape or form.
It is unbelievably difficult to understand that a major club; let's not deny that is what Blades are even while languishing in Div 1; could ignore the fans and public outcry about this guy who continues to plead innocence...or should be that "ignorance". Nearly 200k people have now signed the petition. They can't all be wrong.
Ched Evans back at Blades........... on 11:40 - Nov 12 with 673 viewsBarsidepete

It is a bit baffling, Gerry.

Evans might have first become an advocate against rape --let's say at minimum a few years-- and then let public opinion determine his future, which as you note is presently incredibly skewed against him having anything to do with Blades. He's been permitted to train with the club and there's ultimately zero guarantee they will resign him. But a terrible public relations move by Sheffield United.

Blades come across as desperate. I mean, why do they need him? They're doing just fine, presently in the mix for a playoff spot. How will this help them?

But if not playing football, what will he do? Should he have been jailed for a lengthier time?

In American football, once convicted dog-fighting killer, quarterback Michael Vick is now playing for the New York Jets. But he became an advocate and was incredibly remorseful and the public tide eventually shifted.

Minnesota Vikings continued to pay running back Adrian Peterson while he was/still is not reinstated to play in the NFL, although the NFL players association is petitioning for him to be reinstated. He was charged for beating his child with a stick.

Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice, punching his then-fiance twice in an elevator, the second punch as she was already falling to the floor, he's filed a grievance against the Ravens who terminated his contract. But he's a good player and some insane organization is inevitably going to sign him as if nothing significant was at issue.

We are living in a twilight zone of double standards and poor judgments from clubs.

Well said, Gerry. Blades supporters should strike back and not attend matches, that would send a strong message. Evans can work to get his life's issues sorted. Evans maintains his innocence, but he also sounds like someone in oblivious denial.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Ched Evans back at Blades........... on 14:15 - Nov 12 with 658 viewsRSCOSWORTH

I wouldn't spend a penny at Col U if they signed Evans. Same goes for if they'd signed King, Hughes or McCormick.

I read an article recently about a High School American football player in the States who was destined for big things but was wrongly imprisoned for rape. Evans could be innocent but right now, in the eyes of the law, he's a convicted rapist and thus should not get the opportunity to play professional football again due to the appalling nature of the crime he's been found guilty of.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Ched Evans back at Blades........... on 16:52 - Nov 12 with 645 viewsgerry_us

Ched Evans back at Blades........... on 11:40 - Nov 12 by Barsidepete

It is a bit baffling, Gerry.

Evans might have first become an advocate against rape --let's say at minimum a few years-- and then let public opinion determine his future, which as you note is presently incredibly skewed against him having anything to do with Blades. He's been permitted to train with the club and there's ultimately zero guarantee they will resign him. But a terrible public relations move by Sheffield United.

Blades come across as desperate. I mean, why do they need him? They're doing just fine, presently in the mix for a playoff spot. How will this help them?

But if not playing football, what will he do? Should he have been jailed for a lengthier time?

In American football, once convicted dog-fighting killer, quarterback Michael Vick is now playing for the New York Jets. But he became an advocate and was incredibly remorseful and the public tide eventually shifted.

Minnesota Vikings continued to pay running back Adrian Peterson while he was/still is not reinstated to play in the NFL, although the NFL players association is petitioning for him to be reinstated. He was charged for beating his child with a stick.

Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice, punching his then-fiance twice in an elevator, the second punch as she was already falling to the floor, he's filed a grievance against the Ravens who terminated his contract. But he's a good player and some insane organization is inevitably going to sign him as if nothing significant was at issue.

We are living in a twilight zone of double standards and poor judgments from clubs.

Well said, Gerry. Blades supporters should strike back and not attend matches, that would send a strong message. Evans can work to get his life's issues sorted. Evans maintains his innocence, but he also sounds like someone in oblivious denial.

....nearly got me with "oblivious"!
Ched Evans back at Blades........... on 17:58 - Nov 12 with 637 viewsnoah4x4

Did a judge say "you will go to prison for five years and be prevented from returning to your career"? No. Whilst not condoning rape (or any crime). I am troubled that mob hysteria can extend a man's sentence beyond that passed by the independent judiciary. He has suffered his punishment. However, his potential as a role model is highly material, and one can understand the concern. But can we not use his damned profile for good?

Footballers are generally BAD role models. Evans will get EXTRA boo'ed and hissed wherever he goes and as a reminder to young spectators that if you do wrong you WILL suffer public disgrace that possibly offers benefits. Look at how Lee Hughes suffered at our hands. Surely that drew attention to the consequences of poor driving and he has never lost the jail bird tag (contrary to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act).

By contrast if Hughes or Evans simply vanished without a trace nobody would even notice. So I say let Evans play, let us shower him with abuse as a warning to anybody that might consider following in his sinful footsteps. We name and shame delinquents far too infrequently and I reckon that an absence of negative role models can be more influential than having only good. Evans reputation is now scarred for life (justice?), but only whilst he is suffering public exposure and is constantly reminded of what he did (by us) - so let's use his damaged profile as a deterrent to others and use that to help prevent victims of crime. Reverse psychology has its place too. Simply let him run away and hide and nobody gains from this.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2014 18:15]
Ched Evans back at Blades........... on 19:21 - Nov 12 with 620 viewswessex_exile

The unpalatable truth is that although Ched Evans is a rapist, he has served his time and deserves the opportunity to rehabilitate, just like any other convicted offender.

We might not like it, and certainly wouldn't knowingly want to associate with such a person in our own social lives - but the big mistake here (in my opinion) is that Sheffield United are knowingly testing the resolve of their supporters by asking them to continue to turn up and support a team that includes a convicted rapist. I can imagine that will be a very difficult thing for some, obviously in particular their female supporters, to do. There is, of course, on top of the potential financial damage they do themselves, the massive reputational damage they have already done themselves by making this decision...

...and then finally there is the inevitable hideous unpleasant chants that will follow at every ground that Ched Evans plays at, obviously including Bramall Lane every other Saturday. Hideous to hear, and undoubtedly deeply distressing to any that might have been sexually abused (and I suspect there are more about than we might think).

All of which goes to show that whilst I stand by my assertion that he has the right to try and rehabilitate, and in fact deserves the right, it was a crass insensitive boorish decision by Sheffield United to give him that opportunity - shame on them.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Ched Evans back at Blades........... on 22:59 - Nov 12 with 599 viewsdurham_exile

Where Evans has lost the argument is that he refuses to accept that he was rightly convicted and has shown no remorse for the crime and has not apologised to his poor victim for his behaviour.

All in all a sad day for the Blades and for football.

Durham_exile

Ched Evans back at Blades........... on 00:02 - Nov 13 with 595 viewsBarsidepete

Ched Evans back at Blades........... on 16:52 - Nov 12 by gerry_us

....nearly got me with "oblivious"!

I meant where he is not in denial perhaps, but actually oblivious of his actions that he was found guilty of.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Ched Evans back at Blades........... on 11:17 - Nov 13 with 580 viewsnoah4x4

This situation is somewhat more complicated than most perceive; and I hope U’sual boarders believe in justice and the proper administration and application of the Law just as much as I do.

The current ordeal of Chedwyn Evans through further ‘trial by media’ driven by mob hysteria (petitions etc.) is distasteful and a breach of his human rights; given that he has now served his sentence; is permanently on the Register of Sex Offenders; but is entitled to the protection of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and more pertinently; the legal proceedings remain INCOMPLETE.

Let me justify such concerns; U’sual boarders may be surprised by some of the facts; Evans was convicted of rape in April 2012 and sentenced to five years in prison, a conviction which was upheld by the Court of Appeal in November 2012. He has since served an appropriate percentage of his sentence as prescribed by law and released in accordance with current practice; hence deemed ‘guilty as charged’. Hence, for this case to now be urgently referred to the Criminal Cases Review Commission suggests that some members of the Independent Judiciary consider that his conviction MIGHT be unsafe. Here, I emphasise the ‘Independent’ Judiciary; which is independent of Crown; Parliament; Police; Media; Football Regulators; any Lobbyists and/or Sheffield United. This is, of course, the correct course of law where/if there is any doubt.

Evans has staunchly defended his innocence throughout even after serving his sentence. This troubles me. Why do so, when it would be so easy for him to simply say ‘sorry’ and show remorse? Is he being badly advised by the army of professionals now around him (including PFA lawyers) or is there some genuine doubt about his conviction? Instead, he is prepared to endure what is (in effect) a re-trial, a fresh blaze of publicity and the even bigger backlash that will follow if (again) proven ‘guilty’. The cynics will say it is “just because he wants to play football again”. But as Wessex has also rightfully pointed out, there is nothing in law that anybody can legally do to today prevent him kicking a ball as a professional. So why is he taking this rather controversial path? This is about HIS quest for justice, and we should respect that basic human right.

This week, the hit US TV Comedy; “The Big Bang Theory” (perhaps well named here) had character Rajesh Koothrappi depicted passionately kissing a women in a bar; then unlucky in love (Jewish) character Howard Wolowitz feigns being an Asian in an attempt to similarly woo another woman in that bar (n.b. why do people laugh at these racial stereotypes?). The scene ends next morning with an uncomfortable Rajesh waking up in bed with an obese woman by his side with the inference being that he went to bed drunk and didn’t know what he was doing with her. Again, why do people laugh at this situation comedy that depicted a male that is too drunk to consent to sex? Would it have been so funny had it been Penny? Recently it was reported that a male drunk was fleeced of £7,000 in Spearmint Rhino by a group of sober (‘hostess’) women. Public opinion was that it served him right for visiting such places.

Whilst one obviously cannot ever compare a situation comedy with real life; or the physical and mental impact of rape and fraud on drunken (or sober) victims, these two examples might suggest that one problem is that society has created dual standards of opinion dependent upon the gender of the (drunken) victim. Here, I stress that I am NOT suggesting that any victim intoxicated by his or her own hand ever automatically justifies a defence of contributory negligence; simply that an epidemic of binge drinking means that this has become a very difficult area of the Law; where public opinion occasionally seems to be confused. We are now in a phase where this subject is being fully tested in a myriad of legal situations; including for sexually related offences; notably following ‘Operation Yew Tree’.

Many people are not aware that in the Evans Trial there was a co-defendant (McDonald). The already drunken female victim got into a taxi with him; had gone to the hotel booked in his name and the jury accepted that the girl victim had consensual sex with him - so McDonald was ACQUITTED.

During the taxi ride; McDonald had sent a text to Evans telling him that he had "got a bird" (or words to that effect). He and the girl arrived at the hotel at 04:15 and the hotel porter gave evidence that she was already extremely drunk and begging McDonald not to leave her. Evans arrived very shortly after. Both McDonald and Evans admit they had sex with the girl, but only the latter was convicted. I have always found this a bit odd given that surely she was already too drunk to consent; but was deemed to have consented to one defendant and not to the other; then in the morning she cannot remember having sex with either.

It is worth reading https://www.crimeline.info/case/r-v-ched-evans-chedwyn-evans. It is a deeply troubling case with alleged errors made regarding ‘summing up’; direction of the jury and similar.

How many of us have sometime (perhaps in our youth?) been intoxicated and alone in a room with an equally intoxicated woman and ‘things’ happen that we both regret in the morning? But the Evans case is fundamentally different. It is about him (allegedly) knowingly and willingly going to the hotel (e.g. uninvited by the girl herself) with the clear intent to rape her. Had Evans got into the taxi at the same time as McDonald and the girl, then I wonder; surely the judgement may have been different?

Similarly, Paul Gadd (Gary Glitter) has recently been charged with various sexual offences where he is accused of administering alcohol with the intention to "stupefy or overpower" one girl to enable him to have sex with her. These two separate cases are hence NOT just about the ability of a drunken female victim to consent as it was deemed that the Evans victim did consent to McDonald whilst intoxicated. It’s about the premeditated intent to rape. It's less complicated in the case of Gadd as the victim's age is also material. What's remarkable is that the Jury did decide that consent had been given by this (already) drunken girl to McDonald and (without excusing Evans) one can possibly see how the young and misguided Evans was drawn into commiting this catastrophic crime - albeit that is no defence - and if so he deserves his sentence.

The Evans case is hence not about what happened in the bedroom (as Evans has never denied having sex) it is about what led up to that event and much depends upon various witness statements. The current evidence might suggest (res ipsa locquitor) that Evans went to the hotel with an explicit intent to have sex with a girl that had not invited him nor had she consented (albeit that the Jury deemed that she had invited McDonald and had consented to him).

The fact that the NEW evidence presented (which has not yet been made public) has persuaded some members of the Independent Judiciary to promptly refer this to the Criminal Cases Review Commission suggests to me that it must be pretty powerful. Let’s cast our minds back to the tragic case of Derek Bentley where the words ‘let him have it’ and subsequent poor summing up and misdirection of a Jury cost him his life on the gallows; or that of Timothy Evans. Might there be doubt in the case of this Evans?

The management of Sheffield United have made it clear that Evans won’t be signed soon; and my guess is that they mean not until this Criminal Cases Review Commission hearing is concluded. But based on the presumption of innocence until proven guilty (albeit that this has previously gone thought two stages of appeal), I feel that the Blades are obligated (as his last employer) to at least allow him to train and get back to fitness until that case is heard.

What later happens when his conviction is confirmed (or otherwise) is altogether another question. If the conviction is deemed unsafe; then 150,000 signatories to the petition must apologise (indeed perhaps should pay him compensation!). If it is again upheld, then Evans has dug himself into an even bigger hole. To my mind, he isn’t likely to be that stupid given the army of advisers around him. Hence, I reserve judgement and abhor the current lynch mob hysteria that (IMHO) has no place in a civilised Great Britain. Unless his conviction is overturned, Evans can never (realistically) get a job in football management or coaching given that he is on the sexual offenders register. He will never get a job in 'media'. So I say let him kick a ball for five years and then we at least don't have to pay him unemployment benefits for the rest of his days.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2014 12:28]
Login to get fewer ads

Ched Evans back at Blades........... on 09:17 - Nov 15 with 493 viewsgerry_us

So just Jessica Ennis and I think he should "take a hike" then!
Ched Evans back at Blades........... on 10:55 - Nov 15 with 486 viewswessex_exile

Ched Evans back at Blades........... on 09:17 - Nov 15 by gerry_us

So just Jessica Ennis and I think he should "take a hike" then!

No, not at all Gerry - if it were Col U I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club - BUT, having served his sentence he is entitled to try and rehabilitate somewhere.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024