Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So much good in the worst of u's, so much bad in the best of u's 20:32 - Nov 24 with 416 viewswessex_exile

(with apologies to Robert Louis Stevenson)

With the U's slipping into the relegation mire, time to maybe lighten the mood with a trip down Memory Lane (or maybe thinking about the walk home to Greenstead from Layer Rd, that ought to be Dog Shit Alley?). So once a week how about nominations for memorable U's performances from our collective memory banks - I'll choose the category, but I'm open to any suggestions in that regard. We could even get Whales to run polls based on nominations to come up with a definitive list of the worst and the best of the U's? The only rule, you actually had to have been at the game.

First up, plain and simple, your nominations for the absolute best you have ever seen the U's play?

I am mindful that a few games might reappear over multiple times, so bear in mind future categories will likely include: most outrageous comeback; the 'snatching defeat from the jaws of victory' clanger; worst performance; performance that made you most proud; match you were most hammered at; game you genuinely feared for your life at etc.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

So much good in the worst of u's, so much bad in the best of u's on 20:44 - Nov 24 with 410 viewsBFG

Home to Luton under Parky springs to mind. C & I in unstoppable form. Also enjoyed Forest home, 1-0, 1-1 90 mins, win 3-1.
So much good in the worst of u's, so much bad in the best of u's on 22:52 - Nov 24 with 387 viewsFruitbat

Several come to mind from the days when we used to win games with at least some regularity.

Beating Ipswich and Sunderland in the Championship, and the 5 goal mauling of Hull in Parky's return (although frankly any game that season would do!).

Turning over Barnet in the play off semis and Peterborough in the Whatever It Was Called At The Time Trophy with Paul Abrahams golden goal.

Sticking 5 past Southend in a cup replay (think Perry Groves got two that night).

A spell in about '83 or '84 when we couldn't stop scoring. I remember 6 against Hartlepool (??) and getting 4 three times all in a month. Think the league were dishing out a monthly award for the highest scorers at the time and we won it that month (although I may have dreamt that bit).

Coventry, Derby and West Brom in the cups.

I'm sure there must be plenty more.
So much good in the worst of u's, so much bad in the best of u's on 07:38 - Nov 25 with 367 viewsBluenWightExile

The most dominant I have ever seen us - 0-4 win at Chesterfield about ten years ago.
Best - got to be the 3-2 v Leeds.

We were totally in control and played nicely in the famous dog incident game v Brentford - 4-0.
More recently several games in the Championship and also in the promotion year a 1-1 also v Brentford when C I equalised and we absolutely hammered them without any reward - they got a huge ovation that day and applause from our Brentford friends.

Pinault-noir

So much good in the worst of u's, so much bad in the best of u's on 13:02 - Nov 25 with 351 viewsLeadbelly

Most enjoyable was Norwich 1 U's 7 but I think the best performance was when we beat QPR at Loftus Rd in the League Cup. Lua Lua hat trick and a goal from McGavin.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

So much good in the worst of u's, so much bad in the best of u's on 18:53 - Nov 28 with 302 viewsbwildered

All those already stated, but will also include two League cup victories , a away 2-0 win at Villa with goals from Gough and Lee in each half, but lost on penalties .
Also a 4-0 win versus Blackburn Rovers with Svarc playing for the opposition, we really did play some total football at night .

The good the bad and the ugly, wonderful memories would not swop it for any other club in the world .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024