Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Big Sam 21:30 - Dec 7 with 1003 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The only reason we're in the third round draw tomorrow. What do you reckon Gerry ?

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Big Sam on 21:42 - Dec 7 with 1000 viewsthrillseeker

RSC - very good

Got to say Gorkks (apologies for spelling) and Eastmond stood out for me today
Big Sam on 22:06 - Dec 7 with 987 viewsgerry_us

Can't argue with you today Cossie but we still also needed an excellent strike to get us past the post.
First clean sheet for 11 matches I believe. Must tell us that something is wrong at the back though. Maybe a Gorkss is the answer with his vast experience.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2014 10:36]
Big Sam on 20:58 - Dec 8 with 923 viewsdurham_exile

Big Sam on 22:06 - Dec 7 by gerry_us

Can't argue with you today Cossie but we still also needed an excellent strike to get us past the post.
First clean sheet for 11 matches I believe. Must tell us that something is wrong at the back though. Maybe a Gorkss is the answer with his vast experience.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2014 10:36]

Great signing from TH

Gerry, are you up for some South Wales hospitality for Round Three?

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Big Sam on 21:13 - Dec 8 with 913 viewsgerry_us

Big Sam on 20:58 - Dec 8 by durham_exile

Great signing from TH

Gerry, are you up for some South Wales hospitality for Round Three?

Up the U's

Worth thinking about Pete, but probably nearer the date assuming it's not Friday evening or Sunday late afternoon.
Watch this space.
Big Sam on 04:19 - Dec 9 with 867 viewswessex_exile

Can't imagine it'll be one of those destined for TV coverage, so I'm hoping it'll be a nice simple Saturday 3pm kick off - see you chaps there if so.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Big Sam on 17:25 - Dec 11 with 778 viewsbwildered

Reported that Big Sam is set to sign extended contract within next 24 hrs ( Fri 12th ).

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Big Sam on 16:45 - Dec 12 with 740 viewsLeadbelly

Just announced that Walker has signed a new contract through until summer 2016.

Good!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Big Sam on 17:17 - Dec 12 with 736 viewsRSCOSWORTH

http://www.cu-fc.com/news/article/sam-walker-colchester-united-2140109.aspx

Shame it's only a year but I still believe that Walker will go on to bigger and better things. He's very young for a goalkeeper and he's only going to continue to improve.

Login to get fewer ads

Big Sam on 20:14 - Dec 13 with 706 viewsgerry_us

Maybe time for a rest? Too many soft goals being conceded.
Big Sam on 16:20 - Dec 16 with 643 viewsburnsieespana

Don't think so.
I saw my first game last Sunday when we beat Peterborough in the FA Cup and he was, in my view outstanding. I think it is more he doesn't know what his defence is going to do.
Big Sam on 08:26 - Dec 17 with 617 viewsnoah4x4

Big Sam on 16:20 - Dec 16 by burnsieespana

Don't think so.
I saw my first game last Sunday when we beat Peterborough in the FA Cup and he was, in my view outstanding. I think it is more he doesn't know what his defence is going to do.

The first Rochdale goal was a joke. We were screaming from the South Stand as it was obvious to all what was going to happen; and surely that includes Walker and his defenders?

Our 'wall' had two Rochdale men in its middle. They split; a huge gap opens a yard wide and Rose shoots through the gap from 30 yards. OBVIOUS! Even so, Walker should have held it; and when he spilled it some reaction from our defenders might have been expected; but they remained flat footed, still protecting their genitals and manicured hair.

At MK Dons we had a similar free kick situation where our two loanee full backs took up positions on opposite sides of our 'wall' to their normal wings. The 'wall' held; and they started running to the opposite side simply to get back into their normal positions. MK Dons couldn't believe their luck with so much confusion and defensive gaps appearing everywhere. There is some consolation that we were much worse in Buckinghamshire than against Rochdale - so we might possibly be improving!

But surely building a 'wall' is a basic drill. Holding a back four line and the setting of an offside trap is also basic. These are errors that the experienced Gordon and Clohessy won't make, but the (almost) league debutant loanees probably will. The experiment with Hewitt must end now as he was dire in both aforesaid league games (but Kepekawa looks a good prospect). What a shame Tosin Olefumi and Frankie Kent are not fit. I reckon our own kids are much better (here I include Drey Wright, also injured) as they at least know "how we play".

Then consider the absence of Massey (or Szmodics or Gilbey) e.g. so no cover in front of Hewitt; in a 4:4:2 line up; which requires our full backs to get into advanced positions and wing backs that will cover given the 'hole' behind our flanks - but Watt doesn't tackle back enough - so both of our flanks were now vulnerable (if no Massey or Szmodics).

We also thumped the ball skyward for Healey after playing lovely football on the deck in previous games; but neither Healey or Sears can 'hold a ball up' like Jabo Iberhe. So if we are changing style and tactics back to longer 'hoofball' why not get him back? It's true that our attacking build ups had become too slow and ponderous, but now we don't have the personnel to switch to the long ball against typically tall robust Division One defences.

So (IMHO) we had a tactical recipe for disaster before we even started. Sears and Healey (IMHO) work independently of each other, so what is the point of playing them together (and two up front) hence leaving us short in midfield? We were much improved against MK Dons and Rochdale after we had abandoned 4:4:2 when Massey (and/or Gilbey) offered more cover - but why not withdraw the less effective Sears instead given that Healey has a bit of muscle and can head a ball? Frankly, my conclusion is that we want to sell Sears and he needs to be in the January 'shop window'. Ian Henderson was described by Tony Humes before the game as a "wasp". Where is our sting? At least Healey will rough up defenders. Sears (IMHO) is too one dimensional; always needs ball to feet on a plate, hence not ideal to 'lead a line' where a variety of forward balls is desirable to break down a robust stubborn defence. Maybe he should be played deeper in midfield; but not in a 4:4:2?

So I feel we have been tactically naive; selection has been wrong; defence too inexperienced and not drilled and disciplined; hence I find myself for the first time in 13 years losing faith in a U's Manager. After the switch to 4:4:2 it nearly fell apart against Peterborough, but we got lucky; they missed penalty; hit bar and we sneaked a winner. Tony Humes should stick to his original principles and not take panic (or experimental) measures. We need more tackling closing down and ball retention skill in midfield (e.g. must play at least two of Massey, Moncur, Gilbey; Szmodics etc); and hence it can't all be flair and dribbling. However, what limited success we have enjoyed has come from playing the ball on the deck. I hope to see a better performance at Yeovil and Crawley.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2014 8:28]
Big Sam on 10:00 - Dec 17 with 609 viewsBluenWightExile

Thanks as ever Noah! Very grateful and even from afar you reinforce my initial concerns about far too much inexperience - the policy of youth is plausible but ours aren't as good as say Swindon 's and need guidance. As such Humes has contributed to his own mountain that has to be climbed. As I said at the time on here I fear that for the first time Mr Cowling has misread what is needed. It may just be that an Adkins was unaffordable but that was what was needed.
So we are where we are and as supporters we must demand more adult resolve from these highly paid young men - your comments about their hairstyles etc in defensive walls is not what the likes of Wignall, Parky or even Whitton would have tolerated. It is embarrassing to have conceded more goals than all the 92 and these players should be told as much!
Up the sternly rebuked need to grow up fast U's

Pinault-noir

Big Sam on 20:30 - Dec 21 with 532 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Another good performance and clean sheet for Big Sam yesterday. Really important three points that.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024