Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kaspars Gorkss - signing of the season? 23:36 - Dec 7 with 884 viewsdurham_exile

TH should be warmly congratulated for such a shrewd signing.

I thought considering Kaspars has rarely played this season his positioning, fitness, ability and fitness levels were all good.

His brave block also saved a certain goal. His signing, albeit initially on a temporary basis, could prove to be a masterstroke by TH.

But one moan - TH please play Rhys Healey more - he is wasted coming on with only 10 mins to go. He gives us so many more attacking options and helps get the best out of Sears. I appreciate that results are key but we look a better balanced team with Healey present.

Still take nothing away from a superb win and some sparkling performances including George Moncur who scored a quality goal and big Sam with a great penalty save.

And has Craig Eastmond ever seen more of the ball in the last third, with about 10 mins of the game to be played. Brilliant stuff.

Up the resurgent U's

Durham_exile

Kaspars Gorkss - signing of the season? on 10:48 - Dec 8 with 852 viewsLeadbelly

Gorkss...a defender who knows how to defend!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Kaspars Gorkss - signing of the season? on 14:33 - Dec 8 with 827 viewsnoah4x4

I hadn't previously heard the news of this signing, had arrived late, so missed the team announcements; hence at first I thought it was the young (West Ham loanee) Harney and I groaned when his first touch under little Posh pressure ballooned into the East Stand notably after an uninspiring performance for the under 21's earlier in the week. Then when he turned around to trot back my confused mind struggled with the question; when did we sign this (Abba's) Benny Andersson with the gnarled features of a willow trunk and indeed, who exactly was this Viking wearing unlucky number 13?

I was then advised "Kaspar Gorkss, Latvian International" by my unusually well briefed comrades that then managed to accurately cite his long career record 'chapter & verse' as if we had acquired the Baltic's equivalent of John Terry when normally I provide the oracle of information. I mused, how encouraging, when most other recent U's (loan) signings had never even played First XI league football let alone had an International and Premier career record for us to debate.

Any temporary shortage of match fitness or stamina was more than compensated by Gorkss experience and positional sense; albeit that I suspect that his leg and chest muscles are possibly hurting a bit this morning. However, despite having no club, Kaspar has played four times for his country this season, so the risk was perhaps limited. But I do concur; what an inspired signing, and I wonder whether U's Captain (on the night) David Fox can take any of the credit given that they had played together at Blackpool? He must have said a few words to Tony Humes.

I have now watched the entire match twice, once live (from the South Stand) and once recorded on TV from the (side on) Sofa. Frankly, I witnessed two different games. It wasn't until my second review did I fully realise just how much pressure we had been under as it was an unusually different perspective from behind the goal and at a distance. Frankly, McLean should have bagged a hat-trick if not for some awesome U's last ditch defending, some fine goalkeeping and some pretty shabby shooting by this usually lethal finisher.; and this is where I disagree with Durham about how we might use Rhys Healey;

Our initial 4-3-3 was ideal against the initial Posh 4-5-1 'diamond' (or its 4-2-3-1 incarnation) as we found much space down the flanks, notably for the much improved Kepkawa and Hewitt. It did lead to a tactical stalemate in the first half; but perhaps a 'clean sheet' was actually more important than a win for the confidence of both sides?

Then after half time; Posh threw the kitchen sink at us and we switched to a more defensive 4-5-1. At least we didnt concede in the first five minutes as we so often do. That did leave Freddie Sears alone and isolated up front; and yes; it was brainless of Walker to keep thumping the ball up to him when he needs it on the deck. But during this phase of the game it was crucial that we didn't concede, so I reckon the switch was correct. Had we played 4-4-2 with both Healey and Sears throughout the second half (hence sacrificing a midfield defender), I suspect that we may have shipped a goal or SIX. This was precisely what happened at MK Dons when we played both. Here it should be noted just how much work Massey did in defence last night, and there is some irony that it was Watt that conceded the penalty given that he is not usually known for his defensive diligence, but both wide men had worked exceptionally hard to keep us in the game; whilst showing some encouraging attacking prowess.

But after thirty minutes of (second half) lung busting running against a nine men behind the ball U's defence; I felt that the Posh runners were starting to tire whilst we still had some gas in the tank given the exceptional youth of our principle runners and the fact that we had probably covered less grass (having rarely left our half). It was the reverse of when we shipped five goals to Posh a few years ago. Here we had soaked up the pressure and had let them do all the running. Hence I reckon throwing on Healey at that point (81 minutes) was exactly the right tactic.

Our change of formation to two forwards directly leading the line (e.g. after having nine me back defending) prompted the most exciting LAST ten minutes ever witnessed at WHCS (that is unless you are a Blades fan and your team scores three). Posh nearly secured what would (if we are truly honest) have been a deserved victory as they soon found the gaps that opened after we had sacrificed a defender; whilst the U's went gung ho against a somewhat more disciplined defence than our own. But we got lucky, a brilliant penalty save; one off the cross bar; and a fine Moncur winner in front of the noisy faithful. I reckon had we gone 4-4-2 from (say) the 45th minute and pushed forward with both Healey and Sears whilst losing the defensive cover of Massey a score of 0-3 (or worse) might have been the most likely outcome. The frailties of traditional 4-4-2 were even more acute when at MK Dons where we had also sacrificed Moncur's defensive qualities too. I think that defeat offered distinct benefits for team and manager in the learning experience.

So in summary; on the night I give Tony Humes 10/10 for team selection; 8/10 for tactics; and the team 9/10 for effort and 7/10 for the overall performance - whilst the people of Colchester get 1/10 for a shocking attendance (under 3,000).

Yet I bet they will all want tickets for the next round.......
Kaspars Gorkss - signing of the season? on 16:42 - Dec 8 with 804 viewsGate16

mmm I don't think that the attendance was that bad really. A 1,000 down on what might have been expected had the game not been on TV AND the fact that a 4.30pm start on a Sunday is not great for everyone.
Kaspars Gorkss - signing of the season? on 18:17 - Dec 8 with 788 viewsbwildered

Think the key was keeping three in the middle, to stop them sliding passes down the channels in between the defenders . Changing Watt just gave us two up rather than five across .
Gorkss looked like he struggled with the pace to start and several times was required to almost over stretch to make contact with the ball, but full credit looked better has the game progressed.
Kaspars Gorkss - signing of the season , jury still out, to early to tell .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Kaspars Gorkss - signing of the season? on 18:22 - Dec 8 with 782 viewsLeadbelly

The attendance was poor and we don't get many at the best of times but take a cold day Sunday afternoon a few weeks before Christmas, strange KO time, game on TV and admission prices too high (in my opinion) then it was it really not a shock at all. I predicted 2,500 before the game.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Kaspars Gorkss - signing of the season? on 19:08 - Dec 8 with 771 viewsBarsidepete

Kaspars Gorkss - signing of the season? on 18:22 - Dec 8 by Leadbelly

The attendance was poor and we don't get many at the best of times but take a cold day Sunday afternoon a few weeks before Christmas, strange KO time, game on TV and admission prices too high (in my opinion) then it was it really not a shock at all. I predicted 2,500 before the game.

I though it would break 3,000 weeks ago.

Still, 6,800 for Posh 0-3 Bristol City
And nearly 7,000, Posh 1-2 Swindon

Although P'Bore 2-1 Carlisle attracted only 3,100 in the first round of the FA Cup. All a matter of perspective, I reckon.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Kaspars Gorkss - signing of the season? on 20:54 - Dec 8 with 748 viewsdurham_exile

Kaspars Gorkss - signing of the season? on 18:17 - Dec 8 by bwildered

Think the key was keeping three in the middle, to stop them sliding passes down the channels in between the defenders . Changing Watt just gave us two up rather than five across .
Gorkss looked like he struggled with the pace to start and several times was required to almost over stretch to make contact with the ball, but full credit looked better has the game progressed.
Kaspars Gorkss - signing of the season , jury still out, to early to tell .

bwildered - Gorkks looks a class act and when match fit will substantially strengthen the defence.

I am greatly encouraged for the start of three key matches which will define our season.

Up the resurgent U's

Pity about the crap draw but it is winnable.

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Kaspars Gorkss - signing of the season? on 17:34 - Dec 9 with 688 viewsbwildered

Gorkss - Looked like Wordsworh, started like Franck Quedrue, thought he might end up like Fumaca ,could end up like Bela Belogh .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024