Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Gordon's Alive" - Glovers 0 - 1 U's. Noah's View 10:40 - Dec 22 with 563 viewsnoah4x4

Most on the CUSA ‘bus had expected a miserable day, and that likelihood initially seemed confirmed when it inexplicably broke down. After 30 minutes motionless on the exit slip road of Fleet Services, the mechanical equivalent of the “Magic Sponge” was applied and it limped away to join the rear of a slow winding caravan of druids and others heading for Stonehenge. We hence arrived at Huish Park merely 30 minutes before kick-off; too late to find a pub; refused entry into the beer tent; and found no alcohol in the tea bar; so everything was going to our expected schedule of gloom until in his best Brian Blessed voice we heard some wag cry “Gordon’s Alive”….

Our spirits lifted marginally when we realised that Tony Humes had selected two proper full backs (Clohessy and Gordon); and ahead of them were Massey and Hewitt; two attack minded wide men with midfield defensive qualities; unlike Sanchez Watt who in my opinion is too one dimensional and too often leaves our full backs exposed when not in possession. The Home stands were packed by the Glovers biggest crowd of the season (6,837); and yet our “you’re only here for the vouchers” was met with a distinct ‘huish’. 70% of those attending were evidently closet Manure fans merely after F.A. Cup tickets; but as usual the travelling U’s faithful of about 200 did their upmost to lift our team.

It is an understatement to say that the game itself was not the greatest of spectacles. The U’s placed eight men behind the ball and were hence reliant upon an outlet via one of Massey or Hewitt to counter attack; which I thought was an excellent tactic after conceding ten goals in our last two matches. Both had the beating of their full backs; albeit that rarely was Sears in any position to benefit. It seems obvious to me that both parties are resigned to his departure in January and his selection is perhaps most about keeping him in the ‘shop window’; else surely the more robust Healey would have started? Frankly, the U’s threat on the Yeovil goal was powder puff, but this was perhaps more about grinding out a result than finesse. Sometimes we do have to win ‘ugly’.

For once the U’s defence looked reasonably solid; but even so, Sam Walker had to pull out three top drawer saves to keep us in the game. It was pleasing to see the U’s keeper brim-full of confidence after his distinct lack of authority against Rochdale. He received a warm welcome from both home and away fans; many of whom sportingly clapped him off at the end of the game. Sam was evidently as popular when on loan in the West Country as he is at WHCS. My man of the match (again), the still youthful Sam is evidently ‘work in progress’ and between excellent performances such as Peterborough and this one he may have the odd lapse. But then, so did David De Gea; who is surely now the best keeper in the world? Hewitt also looked a different (better) player in his more advanced position; whilst both full backs combined effectively with Eastman and Gorkss in a ‘back four’ that operated as such. I suspect that we might have been punished by a better strike force (such as M.K Dons); but we kept a vital ‘clean sheet’. Welcome back Ben Gordon....glad you are alive...(all we need now is the Flash up front).

Evidently frustrated by the U’s defensive barrier; Yeovil Manager Gary Johnston threw on the very dangerous Hayter and Leitch-Smith in the 68th minute and seemed to go 4-2-4 (e.g.…the proverbial we need to win at home “throw the kitchen sink forward” tactic) only to immediately be punished in the 72nd minute by a smart U’s move that saw Craig Eastmond neatly slot the ball into the Glovers net. Cue the mass exit of Manure fans back to their Xmas shopping chores. The game then sparked into life and the remaining quarter was quite entertaining. Frankly we were delirious winning away! Moncur also deserves mention for a battling perfomance.

In the circumstances that we had expected; the fact that it took an hour to go 100 yards out of the car park might have resulted in a mass suicide. But a win was sufficient to lift the spirits of 41 individuals for us to not even notice the long haul home. Back at 22:29; there was just enough time to get in front of the box for ‘Match of the Day’; but fall asleep before the Football League Show. Then watch that recoding belatedly, before bed at 3.00am. Was good practice for both 1st & 2nd of January. I hope they fix the ‘bus before Cardiff. But Gillingham and Crawley up next, expect more of the same. It wasn't pretty but it's the start of our revival.
"Gordon's Alive" - Glovers 0 - 1 U's. Noah's View on 11:30 - Dec 22 with 551 viewsburnsieespana

Thanks for that report noah. Win ugly is the vital words and that is how Col U need, in my view approach things over the next few months.
Makes us about 2/5ths of the way to safety I suppose!
"Gordon's Alive" - Glovers 0 - 1 U's. Noah's View on 07:49 - Dec 23 with 502 viewsBluenWightExile

Many thanks Noah - a welcome result and response from our team. Good to read and allayed a few concerns.
Too much to expect a run of results we're simply not good enough to be consistent but if we can win a few like that we've a chance of climbing the table a bit. Such a shame we have novice management who take too long to play the likes of Hewitt where they should be!
The compliments of the season Noah and thankyou.

Pinault-noir

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024