Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U's 0- 2 Walsall Noah's View 23:04 - Jan 17 with 593 viewsnoah4x4

In my 14+ years of supporting the U's (e.g. I am bit of a nomad really, having lived and worked in the UK, USA, Poland and Eire since leaving the Midlands forty years ago at age 19), I have never before heard "your getting sacked in the morning" or "Humes (or any manager) out" ringing loud from the majority of vocal fans. But that was my resounding memory of today.

How sad..... nobody sets out to lose deliberately; and football has become the cruelest of professions. After a few hours of reflection, I don't know what else we (or Tony Humes) could have done today. The team selection largely agreed with mine (albeit that I would have started with Massey not Watt) as did the substitutions and their timing; and even the team tactics. Frankly, we should have cruised to victory in this game with the number of goalscoring chances that we had, notably in the first ten minutes, but I reckon the absence of Sears (or Ibrehe) didn't actually make any difference to that. Frankly, in the first half we looked far more of a threat than for some while with Healey. We actually won some aerial ball, and for twenty minutes were 'all over them'. Their first goal was totally against the run of play.

For 80% of the game (IMHO) we played better than we did against either Posh or Yeovil , but still lost. The ball simply would not go in the Walsall net. Yet in two smash and grab raids following the U's losing possession in silly circumstances we were punished. But isn't that exactly what we did to Yeovil and Posh if the truth be told?

Shaun Clohessy had a nightmare today, but was brilliant in our previous three away games. The same fans that three weeks ago were calling for his return were on his backs today. Today, Elliot Hewitt was superb (as he was at Posh and Yeovil), but for some reason he bore the brunt of many moans from the home fans around me. Is that just because he is on loan from our prime enemy Ipswich? Watt was largely anonymous (lazy again), but Sammy Szmodics, Healey, Hewitt, Moncur and Gorkks couldn't do too much more than they did. It was just a "bad day at the office". Football can be very cruel.

Lose next week at home against Orient and against Crewe and that may define our season - doomed to Division Two. Win both and we can still look positively upwards. I will still travel to Bradford, Blades and Oldham (et al) safe in the knowledge that life in Division Two isn't the end of the world, and is perhaps our natural destiny. Relegation would be a shame as I have never watched the U's in any division below that of Division One. But sometimes life is a bitch.

Frankly, I personally wish Joe Dunne had never resigned. Joe, at least, bled 'Blue & White'; and had no Portman Road associations. But where we go from here? What currently unemployed manager is going to come to Colchester on the (football equivalent of the) 'minimum' wage. Most of the best are still sat on the £1M from their last pay off. My own view is that there is no point in sacking Humes to get somebody from the Ryman Premier. Let's ride out the storm. maybe hope that our away form plus two wins against Orient and Crewe get us out of the mire. if it doesn't then maybe we have found our natural level on crowds of under 3,500.

That's all folks...hopefully others that were at the game are less despondent and may be able to contribute more to this thread.

U's 0- 2 Walsall Noah's View on 00:08 - Jan 18 with 573 viewsmrhappy

Well done mate c

MR HAPPY SAYS BE HAPPY - LIFE IS SHORT - MAKE IT COUNT ! GOD BLESS YOU !
Poll: Derby County - how the mighty have fallen - Rooney the Gooney

U's 0- 2 Walsall Noah's View on 01:09 - Jan 18 with 563 viewspwrightsknees

A good post Noah. I agree with most of what you say. Unfortunately, the U's are having far too many "bad days at the office". I do feel for Shaun Clohessy, too. Any player, from Messi downwards is entitled to an off day, even though otherwise mostly excellent. But poor Shaun had his off day just when the fans' frustrations spilled over.

An unpleasant piece of history for you, though. 11th May 1968, the fans then chanted "Franklin out". And he went. It was the last match of the season, we had already been relegated, he played Duncan Forbes at centre-forward, and we lost 1-5 to Posh!

Keep believing. Up the U's
U's 0- 2 Walsall Noah's View on 11:42 - Jan 18 with 513 viewsFruitbat

Theres a horrible inevitability about all of our home performances at the moment: start off ok, threaten to score a couple of times. Then someone cocks up and we concede. After that we look a beaten side until half an hour to go when we start trying again, nearly score but then concede on the break and game over. Its been like that all season and hence its the middle of January and we have 8 points at home. Eight.

Change that pattern and results improve, but how? Change manager? I agree with Noah on that and don't really see a better one coming in, I also don't see RC making that change anyway. Perhaps there are some inspired signings coming in the next couple of weeks, maybe even some experience which wouldn't go amiss in some areas. Beyond that, I really don't know what the answer is but I do know that we'll keep turning up to watch it unfold.
U's 0- 2 Walsall Noah's View on 14:18 - Jan 18 with 485 viewsPaddyA140

Sound and sensible words from Noah.

I didn't yesterday, and never will, boo our team though inwardly I am nearly ending each home game with that 'is it worth this pain?' feeling... The answer, of course, is 'Of course!'... A warming coffee and a word with another Norfolk traveller (hello Thetford lady) in Hotshots afterwards and already I'm looking forward to the Leyton game. Another new name or two in the side would be good - and with Gilbey back in the side, onwards and upwards perhaps isn't too distant a dream.

I'd play the same side next week but with Massey in for Watt. And if Gilbey does play, perhaps Hewitt gets a rest with Moncur moving to the right? Could Sembip-Ferris even wangle a start? Hmmmm.

Up the U's
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024