Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The answer to our goal scoring problems is... 12:11 - Jan 19 with 2327 viewsLeadbelly

...Jack Marriott...apparently.

Currently on loan at Woking but likely to join the U's soon. 5' 7" tall and scoring 1 in 4 at Conference level.

Excuse me if I don't get too excited.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 13:03 - Jan 19 with 1733 viewsburnsieespana

I have a friend wqho is fanatical ITFC supporter who rates him extremely highly and maybe with the right support, etc he will score the goals we need.
The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 13:09 - Jan 19 with 1732 viewsLeadbelly

The Ipswich fan in my office laughed.

The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 20:00 - Jan 19 with 1661 viewsnoah4x4

We laughed when Sears went to Ipswich.

Yet the pundits were raving about his performance on Saturday.

But we already have Healey; Bonne and Holman. Do we want another youngster or novice?
[Post edited 19 Jan 2015 20:02]
The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 20:08 - Jan 19 with 1652 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 20:00 - Jan 19 by noah4x4

We laughed when Sears went to Ipswich.

Yet the pundits were raving about his performance on Saturday.

But we already have Healey; Bonne and Holman. Do we want another youngster or novice?
[Post edited 19 Jan 2015 20:02]

No, it's exactly what we don't want. The team is crying out for some older and more experienced players right now.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 12:09 - Jan 20 with 1593 viewsLeadbelly

Signed until the end of the season.

I do hope he's better than Hewitt.

The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 15:15 - Jan 20 with 1561 viewsBarsidepete

The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 12:09 - Jan 20 by Leadbelly

Signed until the end of the season.

I do hope he's better than Hewitt.

We need another reliable like Peter Brooke Wright, for those who even know what that means

... isn't that correct, PeterWrightsKnees(?), our sometimes poster ... (Mr. Wright passed away 2012.. go look up his career, you young'uns)
[Post edited 20 Jan 2015 15:19]

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 15:30 - Jan 20 with 1551 viewsburnsieespana

The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 13:09 - Jan 19 by Leadbelly

The Ipswich fan in my office laughed.

Just goes to show football is all about opinions!
The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 16:14 - Jan 20 with 1537 viewsgerry_us

How about if we start by ignoring the fact that he comes from Ipswich and wish him all the best for the rest of the season and a "hatful" of goals for the U's.
Personally I would have wished for an extended introduction to Macca Bonne but if others think that Jack Marriot is the answer to our goal scoring aspirations then so be it. Lets hope they are right starting with O's on Saturday
Login to get fewer ads

The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 16:31 - Jan 20 with 1528 viewsLeadbelly

Nothing to do with his parent club, more that he is another small forward who has been scoring 1 in 5 (not 1 in 4 as first reported) at Conference level.

His recent record does not fill me with confidence that he will be our saviour another two rungs higher up the ladder. I would rather we played our own youngsters than those from other teams.

The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 16:59 - Jan 20 with 1523 viewsgerry_us

The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 16:31 - Jan 20 by Leadbelly

Nothing to do with his parent club, more that he is another small forward who has been scoring 1 in 5 (not 1 in 4 as first reported) at Conference level.

His recent record does not fill me with confidence that he will be our saviour another two rungs higher up the ladder. I would rather we played our own youngsters than those from other teams.

It's Jabo then!
The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 17:21 - Jan 20 with 1516 viewsColukev

We are apparently in talks with Millwall over a loan deal for left back Matthew Briggs. Last played for Millwall in a 6-1 defeat.
The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 17:37 - Jan 20 with 1511 viewsLeadbelly

Briggs has played 30 games in 8 and a half seasons.

The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 18:41 - Jan 20 with 1493 viewsnoah4x4

Why invest another £million in Academy Two (e.g. indoor pitch cover) and then NOT use our own home grown talented youngsters like Bonne?

Why extend Healey's loan then get yet another 20 year old loanee? Sounds to me as if Macca Bonne is soon off somethere?
The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 22:40 - Jan 20 with 1452 viewspwrightsknees

The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 15:15 - Jan 20 by Barsidepete

We need another reliable like Peter Brooke Wright, for those who even know what that means

... isn't that correct, PeterWrightsKnees(?), our sometimes poster ... (Mr. Wright passed away 2012.. go look up his career, you young'uns)
[Post edited 20 Jan 2015 15:19]

Oh Memories, Pete!

Peter Wright was my boyhood sporting hero. Never gave less than 100%, even when he lost his contact lens. Damn quick, and greatly talented.

Voted U's best player of the 20th century, too.

And he was still going to watch until at least the mid-00s.

OK, enough nostalgia, and to the present crisis. I was delighted when David Fox re-joined as I thought his experience and ability would steady the ship. But it's too much for one man. We need a settled side, with consistent tactics (but flexible if it's not working out), commitment and a "never-say-die" attitude.

Anyone remember the look of determination and commitment on the players faces during our promotion season and next?

Of course, it would also help if we had decent players who could play well throughout 90 minutes and good impact players who could come on and shake things up.

All a bit obvious, I suppose!
The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 09:46 - Jan 21 with 1420 viewsnoah4x4

I have just read that prior to his recall back to Ipswich to join the U's, it had already been confirmed that Jack Marriott would stay at Woking "until the end of the season". How odd....

My theory is now this;

a) Sears has gone to Ipswich for a little cash; Jack Marriott; an Ipswich Town Calendar and a model tractor (both for Tony Humes office).

b) McCauley Bonne will be acquired by a Championship (or Prem) side and we make a nice fat fee on him.

Why else do we need Marriott when we already have Bonne (staff) and Healey (on loan until seasons end)? We need a PROVEN goalscorer, but let's give our current squad a chance if we can't afford 'experience'.

Jack Marriott has scored 16 goals in 41 appearances for Woking over three loans spells (0.39 per game). Sears scored 30 in 102 for Colchester Utd (0.29 per game) so in one sense it sounds more positive.... except one suspects that Division One defences and the Conference are not comparable! Why did Ipswich want Sears if Marriott is any good?

After a flying start in his first loan spell (includes a duo and hat-trick), Marriott has netted only 8 times in his last 35 matches in his later two loan spells (0.22 per game) in the Conference. Note that Jabo Iberhe netted 16 in 72 (also 0.22 per game). Er....... don't we want somebody likely to score more than Jabo?

I say let's give him a chance (despite his Ipswich pedigree), but I have growing concerns. Are we becoming too 'pally' with Portman Road under Tony Humes for most fans liking? If Ipswich get promoted, any number of U's fans have already said they intend to desert us to watch 'premier opposition' (not Ipswich!).
[Post edited 21 Jan 2015 9:46]
The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 11:04 - Jan 21 with 1402 viewsLeadbelly

Perhaps we are too friendly with the SUTR but Cowling makes no apologies for that in the EADT today. Looks like we can expect a stream of Portman Rd youngsters in the future.

£100k is the figure mentioned for Sears.

The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 12:19 - Jan 21 with 1393 viewsnoah4x4

I heard £50k + £50k if Ipswich get promoted (plus an IT calendar and model tractor for Humes Office).

Nobody actually knows except those inside WHCS. But remember signing "sick-note" Gillespie for £400k. If it was just £100k for Sears, shows the impact of 'Bosman' on values. That's probably a negative for 'selling clubs' like Col U. However, i believe we get £40k compensation for each year in our Academy. We will be making signings at birth before long to optimise that!
The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 12:28 - Jan 21 with 1392 viewsBluenWightExile

Very possibly too pally for some Noah4x4, yes; but it has always been that way. The U's are in no position to change it and whilst it was great when we shared two seasons of parity relatively recently our decline since then has put the 2750 faithful core back in the same old tussle many of us have seen all too often.

In consequence we [Mr Cowling] have to select what we can to try to arrest the current malaise. I agree, if Marriott is considered an answer, give the lad a chance and our support. I think PWK makes his usual sane point about Fox and his experience but that he alone cannot knit a team around these very inexperienced if talented players we have grown. A Kevin Watson or two would certainly have done this and I, look you, lament the loss of Joe Dunne. I feel he understood the real need and was moving slightly more inclusively rather than exclusively with the youngsters.
But we are where we are and we have to support what we can!

It may be that we will just sell these young assets and that is the business of football better understood by Mr Cowling than I - but it would be a pity if that route took us back down to our previous level where the rough and tough of division two is hardly conducive to young players developing a promotion worthy team. I hope this isn't going to be the case. We have worked very hard to be established at league 1 level and I am proud of the growth.

In consequence our current two signings do not make a lot of sense when as you say Noah4x4 Bonne has barely kicked a ball for us. He's had no chance to step into Sears' boots. We have come this far this season with the young policy surely we now have to see it through.

Management's role must be to teach and coach the inexperienced - who clearly DO HAVE lg 1 ability - into how to see matches through and win them. Basic and obvious...yes.....but I don't see it happening at all. We've had isolated results which have clearly not been built upon and this isn't the lads' fault.
We need Mr Humes to pull off a Whitton like escape now and his experience of football [he's 48 I think] needs to come to the fore. I may not understand the signings and Briggs sounds even more implausible to me, but I am keeping the faith in others who know better in the hope we can somehow be the fifth worst team in the league.

We are by no means cut off at the foot of league one - nobody is and Notts Co and Peterborough are going on the kind of runs which I'd hate from us.

Saturday will be very formative.
If we cannot beat Orient and with conviction then I am going to struggle to believe we can move up the table very far.

As for Jabo, Noah4x4 - could he do a holding role behind a front two?
He's a pretty good player and it seems an awful waste to me.

Up the U's

Pinault-noir

The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 14:32 - Jan 21 with 1368 viewsburnsieespana

The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 09:46 - Jan 21 by noah4x4

I have just read that prior to his recall back to Ipswich to join the U's, it had already been confirmed that Jack Marriott would stay at Woking "until the end of the season". How odd....

My theory is now this;

a) Sears has gone to Ipswich for a little cash; Jack Marriott; an Ipswich Town Calendar and a model tractor (both for Tony Humes office).

b) McCauley Bonne will be acquired by a Championship (or Prem) side and we make a nice fat fee on him.

Why else do we need Marriott when we already have Bonne (staff) and Healey (on loan until seasons end)? We need a PROVEN goalscorer, but let's give our current squad a chance if we can't afford 'experience'.

Jack Marriott has scored 16 goals in 41 appearances for Woking over three loans spells (0.39 per game). Sears scored 30 in 102 for Colchester Utd (0.29 per game) so in one sense it sounds more positive.... except one suspects that Division One defences and the Conference are not comparable! Why did Ipswich want Sears if Marriott is any good?

After a flying start in his first loan spell (includes a duo and hat-trick), Marriott has netted only 8 times in his last 35 matches in his later two loan spells (0.22 per game) in the Conference. Note that Jabo Iberhe netted 16 in 72 (also 0.22 per game). Er....... don't we want somebody likely to score more than Jabo?

I say let's give him a chance (despite his Ipswich pedigree), but I have growing concerns. Are we becoming too 'pally' with Portman Road under Tony Humes for most fans liking? If Ipswich get promoted, any number of U's fans have already said they intend to desert us to watch 'premier opposition' (not Ipswich!).
[Post edited 21 Jan 2015 9:46]

Sadly Noah it has always been the case when Ipswich are in the top flight we loose fans however well or badly we are playing. My memories go back to 1957 season when we missed out to Ipswich on promotion to what then was Div 2 and we have never recovered since then. Poor old Benny Fenton has a lot to answer for missing that penalty!
The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 16:52 - Jan 21 with 1350 viewsgerry_us

A theory is ...

How can that be so when he has yet to prove himself with an extended and successful run in the U's team. We saw a flashes of what he could do for us last season but what chance has he been given this year. NOW is the time for him to be given that opportunity and IF he proves to be good enough then by all means sell him to a Championship (or Prem) side and then we make a nice fat fee on him. At present who knows what he can do from his very limited U's appearances.
The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 18:39 - Jan 21 with 1328 viewsbwildered

I believe compensation payments are staggered Noah , 3k for 9-11 yo and 12k for 12-16 yo .
Wonder if Bonne requires a loan out period at present has several times got attracted to the ball when others were in possesion .
Has regards Jabo, will not be seen in a U's shirt again,so perhaps a part exchange deal might be the answer .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 21:37 - Jan 21 with 1301 viewsBFG

Sears scores for Ipswich tonight.
The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 22:11 - Jan 21 with 1295 viewsgerry_us

The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 21:37 - Jan 21 by BFG

Sears scores for Ipswich tonight.

A bit annoying that!
The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 23:00 - Jan 21 with 1292 viewspwrightsknees

Sorry, posters, but another historic diversion from the main thrust of this thread.

Yes, Burnsie, If Benny had scored that penalty, the arithmetic shows that we, and not Ipswich would have been promoted. But the real reason we missed out, IMHO, was the loss of Bob Dale, midfield playmaker. The Ipswich game was his list before being forced to retire with TB - a very serious condition in those days. After that our season finished with only 4 wins, 6 draws, and 3 defeats (all 3 in 8 days over the Easter period). That was just 14 points from our last 13 games.

Bob's replacement, Derek Parker from West Ham United, was a good and loyal servant to the club, but Bob Dale was a class above.

As for Benny's penalty miss, I was there as a 10 year-old. All around me thought that Bailey had moved before Benny struck the ball and it should have been re-taken. My Dad and Uncle also observed that Benny was a left footer, but always took penalties with his right. On this occasion, though, and presumably because of its importance, he did take the kick with his left foot. Make of that what you will.

Back to the main point of the thread, some comment has been made about Jack Marriot's height of 5'7". Remember that Jamie Cureton is only 5'8", Tony Cottee was 5'7" and they scored plenty. I'm not comparing Jack with either, but height isn't necessary an indication of a striker's prowess.

Time for a nightcap!

Up the U's
The answer to our goal scoring problems is... on 11:16 - Jan 22 with 1257 viewsnoah4x4

I think some of us are being a bit too 'loftyism' prejudiced....player height perhaps isn't an issue... we now have.....

Jack Marriott 5ft 7in (and a quarter I am assured...)
replacing...
Freddie Sears 5ft 7in (when in thick socks)

But what if we had signed any of this lot (below). Would we have noticed ANY lack of height even when stood against ogre like defenders? A low centre of gravity has an advantage to ball skills (plus no VAT is payable on your kit if you can get into school sizes......good financial move Robbie C).

Maradona 5ft 5in
Roberto Carlos 5ft 6in
Santi Cazoria 5ft 6.5 in
Garrincha
Messi
Romario
Puskas 5ft 7in
Makele
Iniesta
Xavi
Paul Scholes

It is also worth mention that Peterborough's Turkish MOM Erhun Oztumer is only 5ft 3in. But if we want to see headed goals (other than by defenders).... in descending order of height...... maybe

Tor Hogne Aaroy 6ft 7in
Jan Koller
Stefan Maierhofer
Nikola Zigic
Peter Crouch
Zlatan Ibrahimovic 6ft 5in
Chris Iwelumo 6ft 3in
Thierry Henry 6ft 2in (did we ever think of him as tall?)
Eric Cantona
Kaka 6ft 1in
Zinedine Zidane
Cristiano Renaldo

England's top international goalscorers (folk like Gary Lineker, Ian Wright, Jimmy Greaves) were all around the 5ft 9in mark. As was our own Scott McGleish (but we thought him 'short' given the way he leapt like a salmon against 6ft 3in defenders).

Sadly, I couldn't find any height or playing records for Doc, Happy, Sleepy, Bashful, Sneezy, Dopey, and Grumpy. But as Disney specify 5' 5" to 5' 8" to play Cinderella, Ariel, Belle, Snow White or Mary Poppins in the parade, whilst two inches short of being a 'prince'; Jack Marriott can certainly become 'King' (of WHCS) if we get behind him and suck him and the ball into the net with our vocal support.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024