Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Article in The Sun 13:25 - Jan 27 with 582 viewsLeadbelly

Unfortunately it was yesterday but I didn't find out about it until late afternoon.

Interesting article about Robbie Cowling and the focus on youth at Col U. He has a long term vision for the club, saying we will see the real benefits 7 or 8 years down the line. He wants to create a production line for young players that will play for the club and, hopefully, attract transfer fees.With the Colchester public staying away in their droves(my words) it is difficult to argue with the logic of the plan.

What I didn't know and found very interesting is that U21s can play for the first team but their wages don't count towards the 60% of income that can be used for salaries. To my mind that means we could, if we have plenty of good quality, home produced youngsters, look to spend that 60% on better quality players some other clubs.

The chairman also said it is a bad idea to buy a club of which you were a boyhood fan as heart can rule head. Plenty of examples of successful businessmen losing the plot when taking control of their favourite. Peter Ridsdale at Leeds sticks in my craw, for obvious reasons.

I was left with the impression that Mr Cowling may well be ahead of the game but only time will tell.

Never bought the Sun before and remain traumatised by the experience.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Article in The Sun on 14:17 - Jan 27 with 569 viewsBarsidepete

Saw some signs of this late autumn. A movement to youth and also an eye on improving the standing of the youth academy.

The Weston Homes was not built on folly. There was a real rationale for believing the U's would be well-served in the Championship with a stad of this quality at some point.

I am feeling that Mr.Cowling may not be too bovvered if even ColU plays Division 2 15/16. I mean, that will mean automatic promotion or a date out at Wembley. Oh, and, more wins to make supporters happy at the Wessie ...

Not worried. Let's just stay up and move away from the talk. But some fun rivals in D2, if it comes to that. Easily better crowds than many here in D1 to be had thesedays.

5668 for Orient. Indeed, very good away support, but just saying, Maybe the U's need to play v more historic disliked clubs. Sod the tier.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Article in The Sun on 16:05 - Jan 27 with 558 viewsnoah4x4

This merely echoes what Robbie Cowling has been saying at his last two "Open" evenings for season ticket holders. The Academy II Status is a vital financial investment and not just about developing players.

Remember too that he introduced measures to meet the EUFA Fair Play limits twelve months before the programme even started. The first target was simply to get below "100%". We are probably through all of its pain, when the squeeze is just starting for some of our rivals.

Our Chairman has hence been "ahead of the game" for some while and having watched all U21 home games for three seasons I think it is starting to pay off. Whether we sell them or play them in the first XI these kids are worth £££££'s.
Article in The Sun on 18:01 - Jan 28 with 489 viewsdurham_exile

At least you didn't have to suffer the glare from two enormous mammaries on page three!

Durham_exile

Article in The Sun on 19:23 - Jan 28 with 481 viewsFruitbat

Read somebody else's copy so didn't have to stoop so low as to buy it. Very interesting article and very difficult to construct any sort of argument against what RC said. It makes sense and also helps to explain some of the decisions that have been made this season. Just hope it comes off without too much trauma in the interim.
Article in The Sun on 20:15 - Jan 28 with 479 viewswessex_exile

Nope, you definitely can't fault the logic at all:

Invest heavily in gaining Cat 2 status;

Attract a better class of local(ish) talent;

Attract a better class of Premier League loanees;

Bring those that make the grade into the 1st team with a minimum of expense, most of whom will be on bloody sensible wages, not silly money;

If you're right Whales, save your salary cap for more experienced pros around them; and

Occasionally sell some on for massive profit.

Definitely ahead of the game here, pity there are still those who berate him for anything he does, good bad or indifferent, and can't wait to see the back of him so that another of those multi-millionaires forming an orderly queue get a chance...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024