Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's all Greek to me! 00:35 - Jan 30 with 1094 viewsdurham_exile

Kaspars Gorkss has signed an 18 month deal with Greek side Ergotelis based in the town of Heraklion on the island of Crete!!!!

A bad blow for Colchester at a crucial time.

I could have understood a championship club but not this!

Up the depleted U's

Durham_exile

It's all Greek to me! on 04:43 - Jan 30 with 1085 viewsbwildered

What is known has a international bailout ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

It's all Greek to me! on 12:28 - Jan 30 with 1042 viewsnoah4x4

Let's praise Tony Humes for anticipating this and for orignally getting Gorkss on a temporary basis to bridge a huge hole in our defence after Magnus and Kent got crocked;

a) Signs Alex Wynter - left back.
b) Signs Matthew Briggs (can play full back or centre back)
c) Signs Harney (centre back) on permanent basis.
d) Releases Billy Roast (IMHO probably not robust enough).
e) Releases Josh Thomson (not good enough/ too injury prone).
f) Magnus and Frankie Kent on road to recovery.

As regards Kaspers Gorkss.
d) A pale Lativian Viking that perhaps needs the sun and a bit of Mamma Mia & Shirley Valentine.
e) Greek 'Super League'; surely where an International player should perhaps feature (e.g. rather than the second tier English Championship).
f) Paid in Euro's that will probably buy an awful lot of Drachmas when the Greek Economy collapses.
g) Can probably buy up half of Crete already (have you seen its low property prices?).
h) Not scared of any Minotaur.

I think that some fans should give Tony Humes a break. We sang Joe Dunne's praises when he quickly signed Watt and Eastmond on loan. I think those signings pale into insignificance compared to the defensive and injury mess that Tony Humes has had to wrestle with and resolve. The loan and permanent signings he has made (IMHO) are inspiring; and anticipate likely issues rather than knee jerk.

We are in team in transition, and whilst one swallow doesn't make a summer; the Orient result and clean sheets away at Yeovil, Crawley and Posh suggest to me that many WHCS home fans should be far more patient. Hope to see a few more of them at Bradford tomorrow.
It's all Greek on 14:41 - Jan 30 with 1023 viewsBarsidepete

Let's not be so cynical.. Was great to have Gorks here even if for short time .. The academy is clearly important and even prem clubs (West Ham?) is more than ok with a great loan here.

i think the fact we have a great next step, a quality accademy, and get over it mates, loanees from fine clubs. I think the U's are quite bright.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

It's all Greek to me! on 15:05 - Jan 30 with 1018 viewspwrightsknees

It's all Greek to me! on 12:28 - Jan 30 by noah4x4

Let's praise Tony Humes for anticipating this and for orignally getting Gorkss on a temporary basis to bridge a huge hole in our defence after Magnus and Kent got crocked;

a) Signs Alex Wynter - left back.
b) Signs Matthew Briggs (can play full back or centre back)
c) Signs Harney (centre back) on permanent basis.
d) Releases Billy Roast (IMHO probably not robust enough).
e) Releases Josh Thomson (not good enough/ too injury prone).
f) Magnus and Frankie Kent on road to recovery.

As regards Kaspers Gorkss.
d) A pale Lativian Viking that perhaps needs the sun and a bit of Mamma Mia & Shirley Valentine.
e) Greek 'Super League'; surely where an International player should perhaps feature (e.g. rather than the second tier English Championship).
f) Paid in Euro's that will probably buy an awful lot of Drachmas when the Greek Economy collapses.
g) Can probably buy up half of Crete already (have you seen its low property prices?).
h) Not scared of any Minotaur.

I think that some fans should give Tony Humes a break. We sang Joe Dunne's praises when he quickly signed Watt and Eastmond on loan. I think those signings pale into insignificance compared to the defensive and injury mess that Tony Humes has had to wrestle with and resolve. The loan and permanent signings he has made (IMHO) are inspiring; and anticipate likely issues rather than knee jerk.

We are in team in transition, and whilst one swallow doesn't make a summer; the Orient result and clean sheets away at Yeovil, Crawley and Posh suggest to me that many WHCS home fans should be far more patient. Hope to see a few more of them at Bradford tomorrow.

Well, Noah. As always, I find myself agreeing with nearly everything you say. One point of detail, though, I thought that John Ward (not Joe) signed Watt and Eastmond on loan the day before he departed. I am happy to be corrected.

By the way, congratulations on the quality and detail of your posts. Always thought-provoking and worth reading twice over (or more).
It's all Greek to me! on 17:55 - Jan 30 with 993 viewsburnsieespana

It's all Greek to me! on 15:05 - Jan 30 by pwrightsknees

Well, Noah. As always, I find myself agreeing with nearly everything you say. One point of detail, though, I thought that John Ward (not Joe) signed Watt and Eastmond on loan the day before he departed. I am happy to be corrected.

By the way, congratulations on the quality and detail of your posts. Always thought-provoking and worth reading twice over (or more).

Have to say I 100% agree with noah about giving Tony Humes a break. I am convinced given another year he will have us competing for promotion something I never thought would happen under Joe.
He has made some quality signings and don't recall any statement about the terrible injury crisis which many Managers would use as a reason for performance.
A team in transition and maybe we will go down but if we do, unlike so many sides we will next year have strength in depth, with 2 players for every position so giving us a really good basis to get promoted back. However, that is for the future as with a tiny bit of the rub of the green we will survive.
A lot to unfold in Div 1 as staggering to think we are only 10 points off a top six place.
It's all Greek to me! on 08:40 - Feb 2 with 920 viewsSector4

I wonder if we will see activity to bring in another experienced centre back.

I think we could do worse then to make a move for Sam Ricketts who is available for loan from Wolves.

He can play across the back four, displayed leadership skills to captain them to the title last season following wholescale changes and seems to be a role model to bring on the youngsters.
It's all Greek to me! on 12:56 - Feb 2 with 897 viewswessex_exile

It's all Greek to me! on 15:05 - Jan 30 by pwrightsknees

Well whoever signed Eastmond, Humes is the one who has let him go...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

It's all Greek to me! on 17:10 - Feb 2 with 875 viewsBarsidepete

It's all Greek to me! on 12:56 - Feb 2 by wessex_exile

Well whoever signed Eastmond, Humes is the one who has let him go...

This is the purging in progress, Wessex. Focus on the academy and at some point the U's will probably field 8 or 9 under 21's.

Hang in there.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Login to get fewer ads

It's all Greek to me! on 17:05 - Feb 25 with 766 viewsbwildered

See that Greek government has banned football in the two top divisions due to hooliganism .
Any body want Gorkss to return ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

It's all Greek to me! on 18:34 - Feb 25 with 757 viewsdurham_exile

It's all Greek to me! on 17:05 - Feb 25 by bwildered

See that Greek government has banned football in the two top divisions due to hooliganism .
Any body want Gorkss to return ?

bewildered - I would take Gorkss back to Colchester but I would imagine that his salary at Ergotelis despite their precarious position is something that we definitely couldn't match at the WHCS.

Still Kent will be back soon but Magnus could be out for the rest of the season.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

It's all Greek to me! on 07:00 - Feb 26 with 728 viewsnoah4x4

It's all Greek to me! on 18:34 - Feb 25 by durham_exile

bewildered - I would take Gorkss back to Colchester but I would imagine that his salary at Ergotelis despite their precarious position is something that we definitely couldn't match at the WHCS.

Still Kent will be back soon but Magnus could be out for the rest of the season.

Up the U's

This is interesting;

Consider the gates for Ergotelis's last three Greek Super League fixtures (note that they sit in the relegation zone and from yesterday are manager less).

1716 for local derby OFI
978 Panionios
1118 Atromitos

Their highest gate in the last twelve months was merely 6,143 vs Olympiacos (18 October 2014). But even if the Greeks exit Europe; readopt the Drachma; and it then devalues by 50% I doubt if we can match his salary.

Note that 35 year old Māris Verpakovskis (Latvia's all time top goal scorer) has links with the club. I reckon Gorkss will probably soon be announced player-manager!
[Post edited 26 Feb 2015 7:08]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024