Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Doncaster 2 - 0 U's Noah's View 11:50 - Mar 1 with 739 viewsnoah4x4

If there was ever a performance to define our season it may be this one.

One can perhaps understand why we started with 4-4-2 after last week’s splendid result where we took the game to league leading opposition and swiftly secured a commanding advantage. However, our away form has been half decent based upon a 4-5-1 line up that migrates to a 4-3-3 when in attack. Given Doncaster’s recent attacking record; five goals past Crawley; three past Yeovil; two past (in form) Crewe; we knew that they posed an attacking threat. Hence, I would have preferred to see (initial) continuation of the more cautious (away) ‘one up’ approach that has served us so well, notably given the absence of (both injured) Szmodics or Lapslie and hence nobody snarling to get into the opposition faces or bite their ankles. We missed these two terriers.

We were also missing the solidity of Briggs (illness), but newcomer/loanee Karleigh Osborne impressed at centre back; notably when dealing with the aerial threat. Wynter did well having moved to left back; but sadly, David Fox; Bonne and Porter were too often easily dispossessed and they don’t (IMHO) display the hunger of our absent two young pocket rockets to win the ball back. M.O.M Gavin Massey completed his usual crop of advanced dispossessions; but other than that the U’s line-up offered Donny the freedom to dictate 62% of possession.

Our ‘back four’ were hence again like King Canute trying to stop wave after wave. Donny’s 24 strikes; with 10 on target and yet only one goal conceded from open play is testimony to how well we generally defended against yet another ‘top six’ team; but also to how poor Doncaster were in front of goal. Even so, the home side had at least four ‘one on ones’ and Sam Walker denied all; but most Donny shots fortunately lacked venom on a pitch not ideal after Rugby League. Frankly, I am disappointed that we didn’t get a ‘clean sheet’, as once again, it was a single avoidable individual error that proved costly.

The home side always seemed to have an extra man in midfield (e.g. the typical fatal flaw with 4-4-2). To be fair, ‘two up’ did nearly work again. Had Porter put away the gift of a penalty awarded against the run of play the outcome might have been different. A U’s early lead might have meant that space may have opened up for our two front men with Donny the team then left chasing the game. Whilst not quite as poor as Tom Eastman’s free kick the previous week, Porter’s effort landed in the same area with the same goal kick result. But if Messi can mess them up, it would be wrong to attribute the defeat to the former Blades 'Mr Reliable' penalty taker's misfortune. It was a defensive lapse that cost us.

Sadly, teams seem to have sussed out that Shaun Clohessy is vulnerable if they put a tall powerful forward on his shoulder and pump aerial balls towards him. We survived this tactic against Bristol City (just), but his defending for the first Doncaster goal was woeful. Noticeably his team mates then reacted negatively to his error (maybe something Humes has said about “individual’s taking responsibility”?) in contrast to the positive spirit shown after his match winning tackle on Wilbraham last week. It didn't help that he had picked up an earlier booking - else he would have 'taken one for the team' - but a sending off might have been worse than conceding. His confidence (IMHO) then seemed to progressively drain from him until the 65’ when he was substituted. Frankly, I don’t know what we can do about this in the short term. Maybe Elliott Hewitt might revert to right back; but he has been amongst our best players on so many recent occasions when in the more advanced position. Tosin Olefumi possibly isn’t yet fully fit and the very promising Kane Vincent-Young is too young and inexperienced to step in. Maybe (when fit) Briggs or Wynter can switch sides now that we have Osborne to plug a central hole alongside the (usually) dependable Tom Eastman? Quite evidently, Tony Humes has yet another defensive problem to wrestle with; even if the only viable immediate solution is to get Shaun’s chin off the floor in time for Tuesday.

Once set up as 4-4-2, then after conceding and hence chasing the game we obviously didn’t have a Plan B other than to replace hard running (but ineffective) Bonne’s weary legs with Healey. Massey and Hewitt maintained their recent excellence; but we lacked quality in the final third as the solid Donny defence held firm. But given the partnership of Porter and Bonne (and later Porter and Healey) it always looked like we might possibly get something out of this. Bonne was particularly unlucky with a header not dissimilar to last week’s success. But equally we could not have complained had we shipped four goals. A stolen point would have been undeserved. But at least we have got through the challenge of a month of facing top six sides (mostly away) with hope remaining.

The game was killed by a shocking decision. I have now watched the TV replay a dozen times and still can’t see why a penalty was awarded against Wynter. The laws of the game are explicit;

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

- kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
- trips or attempts to trip an opponent
- jumps at an opponent
- charges an opponent
- strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
- pushes an opponent
- tackles an opponent

Wynter was in the process of (naturally) hooking the bouncing high ball away and the attacker ran (unsighted) from behind him and (IMHO) recklessly swung his foot between Wynter and the ball. In no way was Wynter “careless, reckless or using excessive force”. I would argue that this assault on Wynter (and the ball) from BEHIND ranks with ‘jumps’ or ‘charges at an opponent’ and hence the free kick might have gone our way. A bad decision (IMHO), but had it been awarded to us we would have found justification.

In summary; it was a ‘bad day at the office’; but the 220 travelling fans were at their noisiest for the full 90’ + 7’ and completely out sang the 6,110 home librarians. We now face five ‘Cup Finals’; three at home; from which I reckon we must secure at least TEN points (from Notts County; Rochdale; Crawley; Yeovil; Gillingham) as frankly I don’t see us getting much reward from our subsequent games other than the odd consolation draw. We need those fans again on Tuesday; and the added voices of the West and East Stand too…..
[Post edited 1 Mar 2015 12:06]
Doncaster 2 - 0 U's Noah's View on 12:58 - Mar 2 with 645 viewsLeadbelly

Clohessy is vulnerable...full stop. I listened to the radio commentary which said he reacted badly to his substitution, failing to shake hands with the manager as he left the pitch. Any views on this?

I've not seen the penalty incident but Wynter seemed to think it was fair enough "I've switched off for a second and I've caught him. It's maybe one of those where, if it had happened outside the box, then it would have been a free kick, so if it had been against us then I would have called for it as well"

I'm happy for us to play 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 away from home but with the onus on us to attack (entertain?) at home I would much prefer to start 4-4-2 at WHCS.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Doncaster 2 - 0 U's Noah's View on 18:15 - Mar 2 with 629 viewsdurham_exile

Noah I too was at the match, but have been busy this weekend, so thank you for putting pen to electronic paper.

I still think that we will survive, but Doncaster will not be promoted.

Very disappointing result, after the match I was talking to a Doncaster supporter who opined that if the penalty had been converted by Porter we would have won the game. Whilst in the Army he was posted to Colchester and before moving back to South Yorkshire he enjoyed some quality time in Colchester and has a soft spot for the U's.

He also stated that Bristol City absolutely slaughtered them on the Tuesday night and noted that we beat the Robins.

It was a game of two penalties, Porter having missed, the ball striking the outside of the angle of bar and post before ballooning away, then had a shocker and missed two more chances, when on another day he would have scored a hat trick. They score theirs, game over!

The enigma that is Clohessy, good going forward poor defensively will have to be sorted.

Osborne had a good debut, Hewitt once again outstanding and I want to see more of and from Healey, he has the ability.

Consistency or lack of is the key this season, we must now win at home to the Magpies and away at Rochdale.

No complaints about the support from the 220 even if they are becoming a one hit wonder with Everywhere we go!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Doncaster 2 - 0 U's Noah's View on 09:39 - Mar 3 with 612 viewsbwildered

Intresting debate regards midfield numbers . The reason that we played Bristol City with two up, nwas that it was noted that Sheffield Utd played with two up against them the previous week and beat them at Ashton Gate so it was replicated. Must be worth a punt the following week after beating the league leaders with the old chestnut in not changing a winning team .
Perhaps be brave and continue with two up at home and one up away

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Doncaster 2 - 0 U's Noah's View on 10:52 - Mar 3 with 609 viewsnoah4x4

Doncaster 2 - 0 U's Noah's View on 12:58 - Mar 2 by Leadbelly

Clohessy is vulnerable...full stop. I listened to the radio commentary which said he reacted badly to his substitution, failing to shake hands with the manager as he left the pitch. Any views on this?

I've not seen the penalty incident but Wynter seemed to think it was fair enough "I've switched off for a second and I've caught him. It's maybe one of those where, if it had happened outside the box, then it would have been a free kick, so if it had been against us then I would have called for it as well"

I'm happy for us to play 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 away from home but with the onus on us to attack (entertain?) at home I would much prefer to start 4-4-2 at WHCS.

I didn't notice the absence of a handshake from Clohessy, but listening to the subsequent Tony Humes interview it is clearly something that the manager intends to address behind closed doors. When he was substituted, I was instead screaming at him "run, we are losing!". He walked off as if we should be giving him a MOM accolade. Just what is the matter with him?

The crowd already sing"...he's bald; and won't do what he's told, Shaun Clohessy" after his earlier hissy fits that led to him being out of the squad before Xmas. He has since been given his chance; and 'attitude' seems to again be coming to the fore; although (as I had reported earlier), his colleagues reacted harshly towards him when he failed to deal with the first goal.

If he doesn't start tonight, it wouldn't surprise me. If so let's support Humes as we must have discipline (here, I hope Jabo and others are listening too). But is Briggs fit? Can Briggs or Wynter switch sides? Having recently watched the under 21's twice I am not sure if Tosin Olefume or Kane Vincent Young are quite ready. Maybe we can play three at the back if we had both Lapslie and Szmodics fit (but the latter isn't).
[Post edited 3 Mar 2015 10:53]
Doncaster 2 - 0 U's Noah's View on 13:25 - Mar 3 with 593 viewsLeadbelly

EADT suggests Briggs is fit so I would expect a back four of Briggs, Eastman, Osborne and Wynter.

Clohessy to move on in the summer?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Doncaster 2 - 0 U's Noah's View on 17:32 - Mar 3 with 564 viewsbwildered

Clohessy signed 2 year deal at the start of the season taken him to May 2016, be Intresting if included in squad tonight or in future .
Unless in the opposite corner from Jabo .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024