Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gills 2-2 Noah's View 10:23 - Mar 22 with 896 viewsnoah4x4

Given where we were on 87' (1-2) one must conclude this was ‘two points dropped’ by the U’s but frankly Gillingham did deserve a share of the spoils. The Gills dominated the first twenty minutes and the nervous faithful that had made the short trek into Kent could not have complained had the home side taken a goal advantage into the interval. But we defended resolutely (Khumalo; what an asset!) and eventually David Fox rightfully put his foot on the ball; decided that the U’s should boss possession and take control of the midfield in the second quarter (which was resultantly dull). Hence, we played reasonably well in the first period soaking up significant long ball pressure; sapping the opposition runner’s strength; whilst we looked to counter attack via the flanks. The only negative was a strangely lukewarm performance by Dion Sembie-Ferris who was repeatedly muscled out of possession; to be replaced by the more robust Gavin Massey at the interval. Shame that Hewitt was not fit. But it is a joy to realise that we now do have so many quality wide assets when previously we had the somewhat lazy Watt. Murphy is pure class, and to our benefit is determined to show Norwich that he is destined for higher things.

The game then exploded into life. For much of the second half, the U’s ran the show with the brilliant Fox again in ascendance until cynically scythed down forcing him to hobble off. Replacement, Szmodics continued the good work and the U’s deservedly took the lead on 62’ from a goal mouth scramble when the ball dropped kindly to George Moncur. Szmodics, Massey, Murphy and Porter all looked like increasing this lead, but let us be under no illusions, Gill’s powerful forwards were always just as likely to strike back. Sam Walker was immense in our goalmouth. In what was a thrilling ‘end to end’ second half, the Gills did strike back. But the U’s kept battling with their classic on the deck football to steal what might have been a deserved Porter ‘winner’ on 87’ that sent the faithful into raptures. But it wasn’t to be.

We ran the ball into an opposition corner and Massey and Porter sensibly played ‘keep ball’ winning successive corners. Referee Sheldrake then first conspired to book Massey for time wasting, when three Gills players were stood five yards from the corner flag (which he should have addressed first). 90’ arrives and the Gills break again. Even more Sam Walker heroics as the home team piled on the pressure and win multiple corners. But by now it should have already been ‘game over’ given that the fourth official had signalled merely ‘five minutes time allowed’ and the clock showed 95’. The ball breaks free and is hoofed out of danger; surely we have won this….

Briggs then made what I thought was a good tackle; but Sheldrake decided ‘foul’ and a second yellow; hence his dismissal on 95’. We defend that scramble and the ball is hoofed to safety; but yet again the referee adds more time. On 96’ the Gills equalise against our ten men; whilst Sheldrake conspires to add even more time; eventually EIGHT minutes. Was he determined that the Gills should win? Some might argue that this was all Tony Humes fault and that he should have brought on another defender upon the dismissal of Briggs. I disagree. This was not the moment for inexperienced Kane Vincent-Young to debut. Their equalising goal came down the opposite flank and we had plenty enough bodies back to defend it; but after a bit of ping pong, a shot from around the 12 yard spot flashed through a crowded goalmouth into our net when on any other day it might have been blocked. Fair Play to the Gills, it was no less than they deserved.

So a day that was full of promise with less than eight minutes to go hence ended with disappointment because referee Sheldrake mismanaged to stretch this to twelve. But the quality of this away performance, coupled with other results favouring the U’s offers encouragement for the eight remaining ‘cup finals’ still to come. We did edge a point closer to safety. With the postponement of the U’s fixture versus Swindon some of the faithful now intend to travel to Brisbane Road next week to cheer on a Port Vale win at Orient (which is effectively the O’s game in hand). A win for Vale; and then a reciprocal U’s win over them, and that could be the result combination that nudges us even closer to safety. Based on today’s performance, I still can’t see any reason why we can’t escape the drop given Crewe and Notts County are in free fall; provided that good fortune smiles upon us and we get officials that don’t want to be the centre of attention......Sheldrake OUT!
[Post edited 22 Mar 2015 10:37]
Gills 2-2 Noah's View on 12:24 - Mar 22 with 869 viewsBluenWightExile

That's grand Noah4x4. My gratitude as ever.
They are trying as best they can aren't they.
Seems we got hold of Murphy and Khumalo too late doesn't it?

I have seen Sheldrake many many times and have always been very unimpressed by him.
I groaned when I saw it was him. Very poor referee indeed.

Pinault-noir

Gills 2-2 Noah's View on 12:37 - Mar 22 with 868 viewspwrightsknees

Let's look on the bright side. We've now extended our unbeaten run to two matches!
Gills 2-2 Noah's View on 06:58 - Mar 24 with 757 viewswessex_exile

Gills 2-2 Noah's View on 12:37 - Mar 22 by pwrightsknees

Let's look on the bright side. We've now extended our unbeaten run to two matches!

Always an up PWK 😃

To me, it's just a question of timing - if it had been Porter powering in his header in the 6th minute of injury time to snatch a draw we'd have been celebrating all night long. Gut-wrenching though it was, we actually still ended up with the same result, and from everything I heard and have read (another excellent report btw Noah), it was probably the right one too.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024