Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Noah's Report .....12th May UPDATE - NEW 7.4 Quake hits Nepal. 18:55 - Apr 30 with 5362 viewsnoah4x4

EDITED HEADLINE - AS ANOTHER SEVERE EARTHQUAKE HAS HIT NEPAL - SEE END OF THREAD.

Thanks to all for the many kind words said in the forums.

Before I give a first-hand report of my experiences in Nepal; please note;

- 5,500 people have already died.
- This figure will probably swell to 15,000 with disease etc.
- 8,000,000 people are affected; and hundreds of thousands are homeless.
- Nepal’s economy and infrastructure is wrecked.
- It will take AT LEAST ten years for the World’s newest republic to rebuild/recover.
- At least £270M is required simply to fund the immediate essential relief operation.

Please donate generously at http://www.dec.org.uk/?gclid=CJffusCCnsUCFQzHtAodpWwA4w

My story tells why I feel so compelled to donate and also urge others to do likewise……..

After Chesterfield had trashed the U’s 6 — 0, I twirled every prayer wheel in Lhasa’s Potala Palace in the hope of better fortune against Scunthorpe and Fleetwood. My head then suspected that there was more chance of the Dali Llama returning to Tibet than the U’s taking four or more points. I knew that I had a huge mountain ahead of me, but after the debacle at the Proact Stadium it looked far smaller than that facing the U’s. I now thank whatever powers were at force that I was wrong and also for the protection I was subsequently granted when football became secondary in life’s importance.

As I crossed the Tibetan plateau towards my objective, my principle thoughts remained would we still be in the ‘battle for survival’ by the time that I arrived home for the Swindon fixture? I didn’t suspect that the answer would be yes, except that it would be my own survival that had become the priority.

On 16th April, I stood on the Rongbuk Glacier at 17,060 feet at North Base Camp Everest (e.g. that on the Tibetan side and not at South Camp where the fatal avalanche occurred). I was wearing my U’s shirt and U’s beanie (plus a tonne of warmer apparel); whilst looking down on 7.4 billion people and looking up at less than 200. Perversely, I wanted to pee on all those that had done me wrong in the last 60 years, but declined as my aim wasn't good at this distance (and it was far too cold). It was a humbling moment, but given that I had made it to an altitude where lungs feel like bursting with the minimum of exertion; I screamed; “yes you can too - Tony Humes”; whilst thanking the Lord that I had given up the fags two years ago after the Bury game which determined our team’s survival that season. Then, I had pneumonia. It does seem that rarely does any April pass without some crisis in both my life and my favoured footy team. 2015 was no exception.

Nothing will surpass the sense of achievement of looking close up at the unobscured peak of Mt. Everest. Frankly, I wanted to go higher, but I sensibly realised that with the limited resources I had that was no more realistic than the U’s having aspirations of the Premier League. Altitude does strange things to one’s mind and I mused that flirting with the Championship had evidently resulted in delusions in some parts of the West Stand. I always did say that the Olympic Mountain Biking should never have been held in Essex.

A joyous week of restful vacation in beautiful central Nepal followed taking a point a Scunny with other results going in our favour. Little did I know I was then sat directly at the future epicentre of a natural phenomenon that would soon release 4.466836e+16 joules of energy with the equivalent explosive force of 1.067599e+7 tonnes of TNT.

For those less scientifically minded, that is a magnitude of 7.9 on the Richter Scale; a notch below ‘Great’ and at the upper end of ‘Major’. A huge big bang. The shock was felt as far away as Dhaka (419 miles) and New Delhi (500 miles). The journey to either of these neighbour capital cities takes over 18 hours by road; such is the poor quality of the Nepalese highways; and that lack of quality infrastructure is hampering the relief efforts.

Saturday 25th April started like most others. In the wonderful ‘Kathmandu Radisson’ hotel, I pulled on my U’s shirt for luck and mounted a ‘bus; albeit not destined for Fleetwood. At 11.56 a.m. on home saturdays I might normally be waiting for the Victoria Inn to open. Instead (notwithstanding time zone differences), my wife and I were peacefully stood on a small hill overlooking the Pashupati Temple watching a Hindu cremation; where (n.b. please forgive me if this isn’t 100% correct, sorry, I wasn’t paying too much attention to our tour guide!), those of the Hindu faith believe that the god of their gods, Lord Shiva, created the earth and sky; whilst Buddhists revere him too but in the guise of the Lord Buddha. It’s probably the most sacred place on the planet where these two major religions converge. Maybe that was fortuitous given later events, and my thoughts remained with Col Utd.

BANG; then a momentary silence; before tens of thousands of birds soared in panic; then the temple’s upper pagoda swayed. It couldn’t have been more than two seconds, but suffice for a myriad of happenings. First people were running in all directions from the building; then a yard wide left swing of the soil below our feet knocked us down before another swing to the right turned us upon our backs. The ground then shook violently for what seemed to be an eternity as we scrambled higher. Even at this stage we hadn’t a clue what had hit us. Please tell Universal Studios that their ‘Earthquake’ theme park ride isn’t remotely authentic.

Sat on my rear as the stillness returned, I jested and enquired “had the earth moved for Mrs Noah”? Strangely it was a smile of relief and humour that was the first emotion to emerge post the trauma. Then we started to see puffs of smoke appearing all over the city after which the true horror dawned upon us. Each mushroom of dust was a fallen building; and by now they could be counted in their hundreds. Even so, one could still not fully comprehend the enormity of the situation from our open vantage point.

Self-preservation determined that we huddled together away from anything taller than a discarded coke can until the eerie silence stabilised punctuated only by the occasional noise of distant ambulances and police horns. We were some five miles from the centre of the City and the local damage to the temple appeared minor. Pasupati was the only ancient UNESCO heritage site to survive. All others have been utterly destroyed along with Nepal’s tourist dependent economy. How fortunate that our schedule had placed us there, and upon a hill at its highest point. Any change of schedule might have seen us dead. We were next due to visit the 200 foot tall Dharahara Tower that has since become a symbol of Kathmandu’s devastation. No tourist survived in the collapse of that, but we still had no awareness of that awful truth at this early stage.

We slowly made our way back to the ‘bus after about two hours, and returned to our hotel. We followed the main ring road; its modern buildings had largely survived. We had only brief glimpses of the residential areas where the destruction was so brutal. Once back in the superb Radisson Hotel; which we were assured was deemed the safest place in Kathmandu; we even indulged in a celebratory “we survived” drink, before returning to our room in the ‘New Block’. Here, I pushed open the door and discovered that although the structure had been built to survive a 10.0 quake, the internal glass (shower, mirrors, lighting), bathroom suite and tiling was strewn across the floor replicating the razor sharp barren landscape of a Tibetan glacier. Many other hotel occupants discovered the same. This wing of the hotel was promptly evacuated into the bar/lobby of the main hotel. That still seemed no great hardship despite the lack of ‘Real Ale’.

A quick text to those by now on the CUSA ‘bus to Fleetwood assured my pals that we were OK, and some of my thoughts settled again upon the U’s prospects for the match. Yes, we had seen much damage, but witnessed no injuries, let alone loss of life. But then (with hindsight) one later realises that buried people don’t tend to make much noise. Whilst reading this, please don’t think I am making light of this situation. I am just reflecting the mood of the moment and how that progressively changed over time. Four hours after the earthquake its full horror still hadn’t dawned on us or indeed the world. Then, progressively the (CNN) TV in the bar reported the numbers. First, it was 20 dead; then 200; then 500. It took almost 24 hours for the reported death toll to reach that higher figure, but rumours had by then started of likely thousands. The acceleration from 500 to 5,000 came more rapidly, and we wept, not sure if that was joy for our survival or their loss.

We settled down fully clothed in the hotel ballroom for the night with blankets and pillows. I was still in my U’s shirt (as I was for the next three days). Whilst there was some bottled water; any from the hotel taps (already undrinkable by Western stomachs) was contaminated by sewage; so washing wasn’t much of an option. I settled down to follow the Fleetwood match commentary on the BBC website. The local atmosphere amongst the party of Brits, Kiwi’s and Aussies that had congregated together still had a weird air of complacency and ‘stiff upper lip’. When the U’s won 2-3, for me the mood became elation. Then our nightmare truly started….

The first aftershock of over 6.0 magnitude occurred as we slept. Security guard whistle’s blew; then cries of “get out; get out”; so we didn’t hesitate. After about the tenth such evacuation, we gave up trying to sleep indoors and joined the hundreds of others sleeping in the open. This was the first point where there was true realisation of what ALL the local Nepalese were experiencing, as nobody was indoors; but at least we had pillows and warm blankets. Sleeping out under the stars wasn’t that unpleasant that first night.

Next morning, we wandered like zombies almost too scared to re-enter the hotel despite the assurances about its primary structure. I ventured out to stroll towards the British Embassy noting that the roof of the Gurkha Regiment HQ had collapsed. Minor casualties roamed the streets. We saw hundreds of injured laid on cardboard sheets outside a nearby hospital that by then had no available beds. Only now did the terror of the situation that we had personally faced become apparent. We met with others from our group that had returned from the Embassy having been advised that those already holding exit airline tickets should stay in their hotel and await guidance; so we turned back and did so. By now, mid-day had just passed and in the past 24 hours since the first shock around 30 tremors exceeding a 5.0 had punctuated the silence. Odd, but why were we talking in whispers as if scared that a raised voice might cause a building to collapse?

Then came the second big one, this time of 6.9 magnitude.

The Richter scale is a logarithmic scale (base 10), so the amplitude of the motion of a 7 is 100 times the amplitude of a 5 (7-5=2, 102= 100). So once again, we were knocked from our feet. What makes this a thousand times more terrifying is that unlike the first 7.9 earthquake shock, we knew exactly what this was and also the potential implications for us as we were now in the proximity of some tall buildings that were shaking like a tissue in the wind. I confess that on my knees, I hugged my wife and I prayed to all and any gods, but this time not with the same flippancy of the Potala Palace. We later settled down for another night in the open. By now bottled water had run out; the taps were dry; the hotel was short of food; all shops and suppliers had been shut for two days. Then the rain came, so we sheltered under trestle tables. Thousands did likewise in the open parks under limited canvass, but at least we had a ticket home next day. That didn't negate our misery.

Next morning, sunshine and the calvary came to the hotel in the form of the BBC, ITV and also some relief agencies that set up their base on the forecourt. I believe that I was the first Brit to be interviewed. The far more media experienced Mrs Noah declined as she hadn’t washed her hair, but she still looked lovely, and never once stopped smiling through the ordeal. By contrast, I was still in my U’s shirt and smelt like a Yak. But I had decided that I might as well keep it on as there was still some prospect that I might make the Swindon kick-off if our flight left on time. It didn’t, but the result still leaves the U’s with the prospect of potential survival on Sunday; when I shall sing my heart out. But in the grand schemes of things, it’s just another game of football. Since my experiences in Nepal, the word “survival” does take on new meaning.

It has been helpful to write this account as it has assisted me understand thewide range of emotions that I have encountered. We have been offered post-traumatic stress counselling and I may just take it. Whilst glad to be alive, there is a strange guilt feeling too. Why did I allow my own selfishness and lack of courage and hence urge to escape the situation both physically and mentally to dominate? Could I have done more for others whilst in Nepal? Should I have stayed to assist? Was it wrong to feel as I did, then and now? Unless you have been through an experience like this, don't attempt to understand.

Please donate generously via the DEC Nepal Appeal, so that others can have the privilege with which I have been blessed.
[Post edited 12 May 2015 9:21]
Noah's Report .....please give generously to the DEC Nepal Appeal on 18:17 - May 5 with 2755 viewsmrhappy

Noah's Report .....please give generously to the DEC Nepal Appeal on 03:23 - May 4 by Barsidepete

Customs issues in Nepal are not allowing aid to be distributed ... so says the BBC .. Tons of aid.

I have words, but they would be censored.

The girl at work said they are all corrupt.

Her way of collecting the funds will go straight to the people.

she is Nepalese.

MR HAPPY SAYS BE HAPPY - LIFE IS SHORT - MAKE IT COUNT ! GOD BLESS YOU !
Poll: Derby County - how the mighty have fallen - Rooney the Gooney

Noah's Report .....please give generously to the DEC Nepal Appeal on 09:02 - May 6 with 2721 viewsnoah4x4

Noah's Report .....please give generously to the DEC Nepal Appeal on 18:17 - May 5 by mrhappy

The girl at work said they are all corrupt.

Her way of collecting the funds will go straight to the people.

she is Nepalese.

Oh great; let's undermine the work of the Disasters Emergency Committee by the inference that "they are ALL corrupt" in Nepal.

Yes, some past experience suggests that 'officialdom' corruption is quite common across the Indian Sub-Continent, but if one donates via DEC our money is, at least, under external expert professional management and control.

Yes, we also know that Nepal's transport infrastructure is wrecked and its management of its airport/customs/trade process is in utter chaos. I can testify to that having experienced its lack of quality as regards transporting humans and an absence of any common sense by the officials supposedly managing the airport. I have also read that some 'officials' in Nepal are moaning about a "lack of promised cash", but most foreign aid in this initial phases is most sensibly being delivered as medicines; tents, water purification kits, staple foods etc. and I suspect that is deliberate. The poor infrastructure (poor roads, landslides, lack of helicopters) is hampering distribution, but stuff is now progressively getting through to where it is needed. Frankly, what good is 'cash' until the next re-building phase?

In 2005 as a volunteer organiser I helped raise $4M NZD plus £1M for Sri Lanka Tsunami Relief. There, we had to re-direct the money to other agencies at the last minute after numerous Sri Lankan relief organising officials were arrested for corruption. There were unfortunate delays, but we ensured that 100% got to the right places and one of the proudest moments in my life was visiting a village that it helped rebuild under appropriate UN supervision. It's about proper management and due diligence of aid. It's impossible to totally avoid some crooks and corruption in these chaotic situations, but the professionals are not stupid. That's why in the initial phase 'money' is converted to shelters, medicines; bottled water; water purification kits etc. that are then delivered in DEC, OXFAM or 'red cross packages' (or whatever branding) to help prevent unauthorised distribution (e.g. theft!). Later, in a rebuilding phase there will be equally tight management controls over 'cash' which is converted into tarmac and concrete.

Lastly, how is giving money to individual UK based Nepalese people ever going to avoid 'corruption' if it is then passed directly to other individuals in Nepal and not via any properly controlled channels? How do we know that (say) the recipient families of such individuals are those in the most need? Mr Happy, I am not questioning the honesty or morality of this particular work colleague, but these things MUST be INDEPENDENTLY (by e.g. say by DEC) professionally controlled to prevent corruption at any level.

In summary, I do hope the comments inferring that 'they are all corrupt' won't deter people from donating via DEC as via DEC will ensure that the crooks fail.

http://www.dec.org.uk/?gclid=CLaoubXKrMUCFQJz2wodDo4A5A
[Post edited 6 May 2015 9:40]
Noah's Report .....please give generously to the DEC Nepal Appeal on 09:30 - May 6 with 2712 viewsnoah4x4

Sorry Mr Happy, I apologise to you, as upon reflection I realise that your comment wasn't your own opinion and that one shouldn't shoot the messenger. However, I felt that I needed to respond robustly.

Your work collegue is right; Nepal will inevitably have many corrupt 'officials', but donating via ANY unofficial channel isn't the solution to prevent misuse of donated money.

Also if donated via proper channels (e.g. via a UK Registered Charity like DEC) 'Gift Aid' can boost the benefit by 20%. Hence I do hope that all money collected by your work colleague is despatched to Nepal via an appropriately registered UK charity and that you have all completed Gift Aid claim forms to enable it to reclaim tax upon it.

[Post edited 6 May 2015 9:54]
Noah's Report .....please give generously to the DEC Nepal Appeal on 11:39 - May 6 with 2698 viewsBarsidepete

Noah's Report .....please give generously to the DEC Nepal Appeal on 09:30 - May 6 by noah4x4

Sorry Mr Happy, I apologise to you, as upon reflection I realise that your comment wasn't your own opinion and that one shouldn't shoot the messenger. However, I felt that I needed to respond robustly.

Your work collegue is right; Nepal will inevitably have many corrupt 'officials', but donating via ANY unofficial channel isn't the solution to prevent misuse of donated money.

Also if donated via proper channels (e.g. via a UK Registered Charity like DEC) 'Gift Aid' can boost the benefit by 20%. Hence I do hope that all money collected by your work colleague is despatched to Nepal via an appropriately registered UK charity and that you have all completed Gift Aid claim forms to enable it to reclaim tax upon it.

[Post edited 6 May 2015 9:54]

And Happy was replying to my comment where the BBC reported that customs issues are not allowing aid to be distributed.

Kind of like the film, "Titanic," where money became a bit worthless. Nepal still has to translate even financial help into who receives it in order to get bare necessities to the most affected.

LIkely that's what Haps was referring to is that the national infrastructure is suspect. Hence they are depending on foreign aid. The government there is known to be a fractured mess.

By what means is the country receiving financial aid, since you seem to clearly know more about this than the rest of us.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Noah's Report .....please give generously to the DEC Nepal Appeal on 14:35 - May 6 with 2685 viewsnoah4x4

I repeat my apology. I have perhaps over reacted, but the inference that ‘all are corrupt’ and that it is better to donate to this relief appeal via local UK based Nepalese people did anger me.

However, one can understand growing concerns when the Telegraph has reported in the last few hours that “The announcement by Nepal government that all donations to help earthquake victims must be made to its prime minister's fund raises fears millions of pounds could be allocated for political considerations”.

See http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/nepal/11577706/Nepal-aid-donors-m

In one sense I can understand that proposal as regards local Nepalese donations if it prevents the corruption that occured in Sri Lanka (post Tsunami) whereby dozens of local corrupt agencies sprung up. My guess is that the international community won't hand over a penny until sure it is destined to the right recipients. But how can donating ad-hoc via UK Nepalese be more sensible than via the accredited charities?

Firstly, the mathematics are simple; donate via a UK registered charity; claim Gift Aid; then the UK Government will add a tax rebate of £0.25 for every £1 donated. The Disaster Emergency Committee also embraces multiple aid agencies including ‘Save the Children’ and ‘Oxfam’. I saw many specific aid teams arriving and setting up in Kathmandu. That is how I know my personal donation is helping.

Whilst in Nepal, we held an impromptu collection for our Nepalese driver that had suffered some limited damage to his house. That was a natural compassionate reaction and I am sure that Nepalese people living in the UK may similarly want to collect funds and directly help people and communities that they personally know in their native country that are suffering. That is highly laudable, but in the grand scheme of things, that is (IMHO) not the best way for the majority of us to assist, nor to get the money/support to where it is MOST needed.

Frankly, I wish I knew the wider answers to Pete’s question about ‘financial aid’; but simply handing over OUR money to the Government of Nepal doesn’t (IMHO) make any immediate sense. This is where I do agree with MR Happy's work colleague. This is my perspective…

The first step must be ‘Rescue.’ This phase required trained skilled people; powerful equipment; diggers; helicopters and there was no time for anybody in Nepal to negotiate the purchase of those. So how might ‘money’ have helped in this phase other than to prepare the international aid agencies in advance; to fund their transport to the disaster zone; and to replenish any spent equipment and resources in time for the next global disaster? The (most adjacent) Indian and Chinese Governments were first to respond directly flying in teams, equipment and helicopters and then inevitably the numerous western rescue teams arrived later because of distance. This phase is over, as nobody buried is now likely to be found alive.

The next (and simultaneous) phase is to provide shelter, medicine, food, water and sanitation. This required the bulk delivery (by air) of medicines, tents; bottled water; water purification equipment. The hospitals were desperately short of oxygen after only a few hours. Even our high quality hotel had run out of drinking water inside a day. Huge tented cities sprung up in Kathmandu, but I understand most of these have now gone. You cannot imagine how scary it is when aftershocks are continuing and that is why we too slept outdoors; but people are now returning to their homes. 700,000 people live in Kathmandu and around 2,500 died there and a significant number are homeless. That’s tragic yes, but the most urgent relief focus is now largely upon the remote villages nearer the quake’s epicentre.

Once again, I reckon giving the Nepalese government and/or individual people ‘money’ is largely useless in this phase, as it is nigh on impossible to locally buy any of the supplies that are needed. For example; whilst Nepal has an abundance of water, it’s now contaminated and the many wells that supply the villages have collapsed and need to be re-dug. There is hence a reliance on the international aid agencies to bring stuff in from their pre-existing relief supplies. We saw this type of aid starting to arrive quite quickly (much from India) within a day of the earthquake. But distribution is a huge problem as Nepalese mountain roads were poor even before the landslides, but the number of available helicopters is now growing as they divert from the ‘rescue’ to ‘supply’ phase

Our immediately handing money directly to individual Nepalese people may financially assist the tailor that has lost his shop, or financially assist the farmer than has lost his crops, but survival of those at GREATEST risk of DEATH must remain the first priority. Yes, everybody in Nepal is suffering to some extent; but there is now a massive risk of disease as a result of a lack of fresh water and poor sanitation. The international aid agencies are in the best position to DIRECTLY target IMMEDIATE aid where MOST needed. Simply handing money to the Nepalese Government (or people) isn’t the solution. Nepal doesn’t have the necessary mobile lavatories, water purification kits; or enough bottled water; and these can be directly supplied by the International Aid agencies using OUR money. Arguably, Nepal doesn’t need ‘money’ at this initial urgent stage; as it needs supplies, equipment and resources that cannot be locally purchased. What Nepal does have is an army that has done a fantastic logistic job getting the experts to where needed and generally supporting the international agencies; also providing manpower to manage the many frantic rescues where heavy lifting equipment wasn't needed. This is where I wish I had personally done more - I could have assisted with digging - but the tour company wouldn't allow us to compromise our safety and we were corralled in the hotel by its security. To be honest, I was scared too and we are now having post traumatic stress counselling - so all please forgive me if I sound like a man on a mission aiming to assist these poor people in any way I now can.

Where ‘money’ will eventually and inevitably be needed is to repair communications, repair roads and the wider infrastructure; to help villages and damaged properties be rebuilt; and also to rebuild the UNESCO world heritage sites upon which Nepal’s fragile tourist economy depends. Also to make the nation self-sufficient in food again; but note that I believe food isn’t a critical problem for a majority now that things are returning to some normality. There is plenty in the fields. But (IMHO) this redevelopment and construction phase has to be done 100% under the scrutiny of the international community else one does concur, corruption will probably be rampant. It has been suggested that it will take TEN years for Nepal to recover its vital tourist economy. Thankfully, this rebuilding programme should create employment and ultimately make the nation stronger than before. But what will now follow is many years of dependence on relief agencies.

So when I read on the BBC website that Nepalese officials were claiming that they had not seen the “promised money”; frankly, that didn’t surprise me. The world would be mad to simply credit a bank account and hence give those in power a blank cheque. This nation’s recovery has to be properly managed under the scrutiny of the international community, but that is best achieved via the proper relief and development agencies. To be fair to the Nepalese Government, I suspect that the report in the Telegraph is possibly a little misleading (at least one hopes so). Please give generously via DEC.
[Post edited 6 May 2015 15:13]
Noah's Report .....please give generously to the DEC Nepal Appeal on 15:19 - May 6 with 2675 viewsBarsidepete

And hence, Sarboy's name on our site. Search and rescue. Kev. Who can also take an airplane appart and rebuild it. Not sure he will be called into the mix, but maybe.

India's help? They were also affected in the northern regions of India by the quake.

I guess your point being, Noah, donate to known reputable organizations.

Noah's Report .....please give generously to the DEC Nepal Appeal on 16:02 - May 6 with 2670 viewsnoah4x4

Noah's Report .....please give generously to the DEC Nepal Appeal on 15:19 - May 6 by Barsidepete

And hence, Sarboy's name on our site. Search and rescue. Kev. Who can also take an airplane appart and rebuild it. Not sure he will be called into the mix, but maybe.

India's help? They were also affected in the northern regions of India by the quake.

I guess your point being, Noah, donate to known reputable organizations.

In summary, yes, my point is donate only via reputable charitable organisations.

Even so, as the following examples will illustrate, the situation has been utter chaos and it is difficult in these situations. Let's consider 'rescue' of foreign nationals...

A positive was that India quickly flew in dozens of transport planes full of "aid", but a negative was it over enthusiastically promised a prompt exit for "all Indian citizens". This caused thousands to flock to the airport and that caused chaos as not enough proper seats were then available on the limited Indian army transport provided. This Indian commitment then encouraged many other foreign nationals to flock to the airport and an unachievable expectation of an international rescue by air being undertaken by every nation - utterly impossible when the Kathmandu airport capacity is tiny. Part of India's embassy had collapsed, so one can understand that emotions ran high, but it didn't assist the situation in this particular context; albeit its supply of aid has been magnificent. I kept imagining the dramatic helicopter rescue at the end of 'Miss Saigon' but that was never going to happen to us!

By contrast, the British Embassy recognised that the initial airport priority was to commit its resources wholly for vital incoming aid. We were hence correctly told to stay put in the safest place possible (e.g. the Hotel) and await for our pre-booked exit flights due in under 60 hours. Others with lesser quality shelter were admitted to the Embassy, including some French Citizens (I guess other European embassies reciprocated). Many UK citizens in Kathmandu that didn't have early exit airline tickets were later evacuated on a plane to Stansted. It was scary, but conducted in an orderly manner.

Where there remain more serious issues is that nobody knows where many Europeans are located upon the many trekking trails. Others must await transport. Whilst in Kathmandu we lost phone and Internet contact after the second major aftershock (6.9), so communications in the mountains must be poor. Many of these trails are a few days walk to a road; and that assumes that the road hasn't been swept away by a landslide or avalanche. Then, helicopters are committed to delivering vital equipment and water. Now let's compound that by the thousands of Nepalese in the countryside that are also unaccounted for. Some villages that we had earlier passed by in the previous week have completely gone.
Noah's Report .....please give generously to the DEC Nepal Appeal on 02:43 - May 8 with 2628 viewsBarsidepete

Excellent writing as U'sual.

So, you doing ok-ish? You must have mates over there you worry about, Phil.

Have you been able to contact them?

What's the personal news about em, not the circular news we get on the BBC and CNN, and so on.

Login to get fewer ads

Noah's Report .....please give generously to the DEC Nepal Appeal on 08:57 - May 9 with 2604 viewsnoah4x4

Noah's Report .....please give generously to the DEC Nepal Appeal on 02:43 - May 8 by Barsidepete

Excellent writing as U'sual.

So, you doing ok-ish? You must have mates over there you worry about, Phil.

Have you been able to contact them?

What's the personal news about em, not the circular news we get on the BBC and CNN, and so on.

All the people I personally know in Nepal are 'professional's' that reside in Kathmandu. Some have minor damage to (largely modern) property, and all are having to take special precautions as regards water and sanitation, but they are the lucky ones. The life threatening problems exist in the less affluent/older sectors of the City and obviously the more remote mountain areas where about two thirds of the population reside.

I thought this BBC article to be noteworthy; but it could have been reported far more objectively; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-32625431

As usual, the BBC has focused largely on the most banal of possible questions; has Mt Everest reduced in height? Frankly, who cares!!!! The far more serious issue is the impact on the indigenous population following the uplift of the entire Kathmandu Valley by in excess of ONE mete. The ground also shifted a metre laterally; hence why I landed on my back in the main earthquake.

What this movement means is that many of the wells that have provided the villages with drinkable water for thousands of years will have collapsed or become contaminated. Staple food is likely to be plentiful as the fields are well stocked, but the greatest need is now for better shelter before the monsoons come (early June) and fresh water; plus medicines and inoculation against disease. 90% of schools outside of Kathmandu have been knocked flat, and in particular the children of Nepal urgently require a huge range of support. But this human tragedy has been knocked off the news pages already. So I urge people to continue to donate - using proper UK charitable channels (like DEC) so that gift aid can boost every £1 by £0.25.
Noah's Report .....please give generously to the DEC Nepal Appeal on 23:21 - May 9 with 2581 viewsBarsidepete

Noah, don't turn this into where we should dedicate a specific network to every cause. At some point it becomes human interest stories in one fashion or another. That comment refers to the fact you insinuate the pains affecting earthquake victims are now being ignored. You said you were at Everest, then in Kathmandu, and your account of the situation was moving and poignant.

What about the 6000-plus toll now in the Ukraine, and the 70 or so national heads of state who declined to attend Russia's propaganda-laden 70th anniversary of VE Day, called the Great Patriotic War there, not WWII. I grew up under communist rule, in Czechoslovakia and for a few years in West Berlin, surrounded by the East Bloc on what was effectively an island.

And continued threats from extremist in the middle east, secular strife, Africa's issues.

There are too many stories to tell. But I do hope Nepal and India rebound, and people donate as best they can.

It's not a one-issue world. And tragedies of one form or another are always seemingly around the corner.

That's all.
[Post edited 9 May 2015 23:27]

Noah's Report .....please give generously to the DEC Nepal Appeal on 12:35 - May 10 with 2552 viewsnoah4x4

My late eastern european father always said that when sandwiched between them he feared the russians far more than the germans (but then he wasnt Jewish).

Ordinary people like you and me Pete can perhaps do little to assist the Ukraine other than by supporting the political and economic pressure being applied on Putin by most World governments. Sadly, we need russian natural gas whilst the nimbys still argue against nuclear power and prevent (say) the development of fracking. Moves to make the UK self sufficient via renewables is fruitless as the fuel supply resources don't exist. I once calculated if we converted every motorway, every trunk road and railway verge to fast growing fuel crop Glyricidia the annual crop might only fuel the Drax power station for nine weeks. We dont have enough sun or wind either. Dealing with Russia is tricky.

However, our money (as individuals) can directly assist the Nepalese.
Noah's Report .....please give generously to the DEC Nepal Appeal on 22:53 - May 10 with 2534 viewsBarsidepete

I was responding to your sidebar, about where is the news anymore about Nepal. And I think I addressed it clearly, the why's.

And I wrote, scroll up, that I hoped people would continue to give whatever they could.

But news does move on. If merely money could solve all the world's problems, but that is hardly reality.

Are people donating to refugee camps and to those who desperately had to flee from oppressive regimes, where countless victim tolls rise daily?

Some of these issues cannot be conveniently placed into, "Well, that's a political matter," you insinuated. That Nepal needs money. Ok, then how about reforming the infrastructure of Nepal's government? They cannot even agree on how to do this in their own back yard.

Noah's Report .....please give generously to the DEC Nepal Appeal on 09:44 - May 11 with 2516 viewsnoah4x4

I have simply reacted parochially to a life threatening situation from which I have personally escaped; a situation where almost 8,000 others have not; and today many more remain at risk. People have since read my story on this and some other Internet sites; hence made donations that might not have occured and I am proud to have assisted with this appeal.

Other equally laudable 'good causes' will similarly have other 'champions' that will appeal to the generosity of others, and collectively we can perhaps make the world a better place.

Nepal is the world's youngest democracy. It was a kingdom until 2008 and ranks merely 145 in the order of 187 on the Human Development Index that indicates its national affluence (or rather lack of it) and hence propensity to hunger, lack of resources, poor infrastructure and similar. My guess is that at the next HDI evaluation it will be off the scale in a reverse direction.

It's governmental processes do remain in infancy and this nation hasn't got the skills to recover from this catastrophe without financial and resource help from the international community. By contrast, a ceasefire and political resolution might resolve the issues in the Ukraine. I agree that BOTH situations hence need to remain in the news headlines.
Noah's Report .....please give generously to the DEC Nepal Appeal on 12:47 - May 11 with 2502 viewsBarsidepete

I should have been more specific in the previous post.

We did pretty much agree that Ukraine was better served with a political solution. And otherwise, that's where nations will step in or not.

I was referring to the humanitarian crisis in Africa and the Middle East to a large degree; add to that, refugees issues from Bangladesh and Myanmar.

Noah's Report .....please give generously to the DEC Nepal Appeal on 09:19 - May 12 with 2473 viewsnoah4x4

Folks, breaking news;

A second severe (e.g. classified 'large') quake of magnitude 7.4 has just hit Nepal with an epicentre 52 miles east of Kathmandu.

The epicentre of the first quake of 7.8 magnitude was a not dissimilar distance west of Kathmandu, so the misery occurring particularly in the remote Himalayan villages now extends along the entire latitudinal width of this country.

Also as this epicentre is almost directly under Mt Everest one speculates that there are now problems in Tibet too (on the North Face side) where (more limited) tourist activity had not been curtailed. The world is awaiting accurate reports of damage and casualties.
Noah's Report .....please give generously to the DEC Nepal Appeal on 15:12 - May 12 with 2460 viewsBarsidepete

Noah's Report .....please give generously to the DEC Nepal Appeal on 09:19 - May 12 by noah4x4

Folks, breaking news;

A second severe (e.g. classified 'large') quake of magnitude 7.4 has just hit Nepal with an epicentre 52 miles east of Kathmandu.

The epicentre of the first quake of 7.8 magnitude was a not dissimilar distance west of Kathmandu, so the misery occurring particularly in the remote Himalayan villages now extends along the entire latitudinal width of this country.

Also as this epicentre is almost directly under Mt Everest one speculates that there are now problems in Tibet too (on the North Face side) where (more limited) tourist activity had not been curtailed. The world is awaiting accurate reports of damage and casualties.

Holy mackerel, Phil.

Just read the news on The New York Times site, and the BBC too.

Wow. I mean, wow.

Noah's Report .....12th May UPDATE - NEW 7.4 Quake hits Nepal. on 15:50 - May 14 with 2412 viewsnoah4x4

This is a very moving BBC clip which (initially) shows where I was just prior to when the first earthquake hit. We had left this particular UNESCO World Heritage Site barely half an hour before the disaster, so we were probably the last tourists ever to see it standing (and survive). Fortunately, we moved to open ground above another UNESCO site when the quake rocked us off our feet, but left us unharmed. Others at the previous UNESCO site were less fortunate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32735290

It then shows how the now homeless Nepalese are surviving today and this is in Kathmandu. Imagine the terrible plight of those in the remote mountain villages. The monsoons rains arrive in less than four weeks. How will these people then cope?

It concludes with some economic impacts as the nation is largely dependent on tourism etc. This is the second year that Mt. Everest has been closed almost as soon as the climbing season starts - but this clip shows how wider tourism has collapsed given the absence of even the less adventurous. 90% of heritage sites damaged; Tourist bookings down 90%; remaining hope for the people, perhaps 10%.

The clip is seven minutes long, and I don't believe that anybody that watches this will ignore the need to give to the Disaster Appeal at http://www.dec.org.uk/?gclid=CJffusCCnsUCFQzHtAodpWwA4w

[Post edited 14 May 2015 16:01]
Noah's Report .....12th May UPDATE - NEW 7.4 Quake hits Nepal. on 17:41 - May 14 with 2407 viewsBarsidepete

Noah's Report .....12th May UPDATE - NEW 7.4 Quake hits Nepal. on 15:50 - May 14 by noah4x4

This is a very moving BBC clip which (initially) shows where I was just prior to when the first earthquake hit. We had left this particular UNESCO World Heritage Site barely half an hour before the disaster, so we were probably the last tourists ever to see it standing (and survive). Fortunately, we moved to open ground above another UNESCO site when the quake rocked us off our feet, but left us unharmed. Others at the previous UNESCO site were less fortunate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32735290

It then shows how the now homeless Nepalese are surviving today and this is in Kathmandu. Imagine the terrible plight of those in the remote mountain villages. The monsoons rains arrive in less than four weeks. How will these people then cope?

It concludes with some economic impacts as the nation is largely dependent on tourism etc. This is the second year that Mt. Everest has been closed almost as soon as the climbing season starts - but this clip shows how wider tourism has collapsed given the absence of even the less adventurous. 90% of heritage sites damaged; Tourist bookings down 90%; remaining hope for the people, perhaps 10%.

The clip is seven minutes long, and I don't believe that anybody that watches this will ignore the need to give to the Disaster Appeal at http://www.dec.org.uk/?gclid=CJffusCCnsUCFQzHtAodpWwA4w

[Post edited 14 May 2015 16:01]

It is so. sad. But it seems it's you and me keeping the story afloat, regardless if we go on tangents.

The readers of this blog return for updates.

Tourism is indeed one of the major industries of Nepal, but now what?

As you wrote:

I can't believe there was another quake of this magnitude, not an aftershock, but another.

My heart does break with this kind of news.

Sometimes it seems like our mother earth is heartless and cold.

Noah's Report .....12th May UPDATE - NEW 7.4 Quake hits Nepal. on 10:19 - May 21 with 2312 viewsnoah4x4

Found this clip of some tourists caught up in the first earthquake. We had earlier sat (for photographs) directly in front of both of the smaller temples that collapse in this particular video.

The damage here is comparitively minor, but it authentically captures what we experienced when stood in a very similar large open space (e.g. at the next Unesco World Heritage site that we visited). Now imagine being in the more dense part of the old city; having nowhere to run; then (later) nowhere to sleep or obtain fresh water. Nepal has dropped off the news radar, but the situation remains pretty dire for 800,000 people.

Please donate generously at http://www.dec.org.uk/?gclid=CJffusCCnsUCFQzHtAodpWwA4w
Noah's Report .....12th May UPDATE - NEW 7.4 Quake hits Nepal. on 20:40 - May 25 with 2251 viewsBarsidepete

Noah's Report .....12th May UPDATE - NEW 7.4 Quake hits Nepal. on 10:19 - May 21 by noah4x4

Found this clip of some tourists caught up in the first earthquake. We had earlier sat (for photographs) directly in front of both of the smaller temples that collapse in this particular video.

The damage here is comparitively minor, but it authentically captures what we experienced when stood in a very similar large open space (e.g. at the next Unesco World Heritage site that we visited). Now imagine being in the more dense part of the old city; having nowhere to run; then (later) nowhere to sleep or obtain fresh water. Nepal has dropped off the news radar, but the situation remains pretty dire for 800,000 people.

Very sad. Let's keep the thread moving into positive territory.

http://www.dec.org.uk/?gclid=CJffusCCnsUCFQzHtAodpWwA4w

Noah's Report .....12th May UPDATE - NEW 7.4 Quake hits Nepal. on 20:49 - May 25 with 2247 viewsnoah4x4

Now a landslide has blocked the Kali Gandakha river. Its levels have risen an incredible 600 feet creating a vast lake. If this (freak") "dam" now breaks, the valleys below that have already been decimated by two earthquakes risk being swept away by flood. The already displaced people in such valleys are now seeking higher ground where they have no shelter. Can anything else shocking happen to this unfortunate land?

According to the United Nations only 22% of the money needed has so far been donated. Please help if you can.
[Post edited 25 May 2015 20:55]
Noah's Report .....12th May UPDATE - NEW 7.4 Quake hits Nepal. on 21:51 - May 26 with 2219 viewsLeadbelly

Noah's Report .....12th May UPDATE - NEW 7.4 Quake hits Nepal. on 20:49 - May 25 by noah4x4

Now a landslide has blocked the Kali Gandakha river. Its levels have risen an incredible 600 feet creating a vast lake. If this (freak") "dam" now breaks, the valleys below that have already been decimated by two earthquakes risk being swept away by flood. The already displaced people in such valleys are now seeking higher ground where they have no shelter. Can anything else shocking happen to this unfortunate land?

According to the United Nations only 22% of the money needed has so far been donated. Please help if you can.

I was at Lords on Saturday. Members of the Gurkha regiment were stationed around the ground with collection buckets. Based on my observations and a brief chat with one of the soldiers the plight of Nepal has certainly not been forgotten just because the news has "moved on"... At least not by cricket fans.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Noah's Report .....12th May UPDATE - NEW 7.4 Quake hits Nepal. on 06:41 - May 27 with 2200 viewswessex_exile

Noah's Report .....12th May UPDATE - NEW 7.4 Quake hits Nepal. on 20:49 - May 25 by noah4x4

Noah, I read yesterday that the river has made a breach and is now flowing again, albeit the levels did at one point rise 2m above monsoon levels. Everyone likely to have been affected had been moved to higher ground, so there were no casualties, and authorities now feel the danger has been averted. A small but no doubt welcome break for a people that have suffered so much recently.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Noah's Report .....12th May UPDATE - NEW 7.4 Quake hits Nepal. on 19:03 - Jun 4 with 2115 viewsBarsidepete

See that schools have opened up again. A very positive step.

Noah's Report .....12th May UPDATE - NEW 7.4 Quake hits Nepal. on 08:37 - Jun 10 with 2072 viewsnoah4x4

Noah's Report .....12th May UPDATE - NEW 7.4 Quake hits Nepal. on 19:03 - Jun 4 by Barsidepete

See that schools have opened up again. A very positive step.

Yes Pete. Many 'schools' are in tents and temporary shelters; supported by our donations (via DEC); so we can be proud of that.

But it's very positive; as was the political decision this week to divide this infant country into eight autonomous self determining regions under one national flag. It is only about ten years since the pro-Maoists put down their arms and it ceased being a kingdom, so maybe the earthquake has had some positive benefits if it has galavanised the country into becoming more polictically stable and a far better managed place.

I have asked Daniel to unpin this thread as I think it has run its course on here and most boarders that will donate have already done so. If there is something to add later it will, of course, naturally return to the top of the board by postings.

But lastly, and to put things into pespective, the recent 'earthquake' in Kent that made UK headline news was 260,000 times less powerful than the first in Nepal. The World must not forget the brave Nepalese and one wishes this country every success as it rebuilds.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2015 8:39]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024