Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's 13:13 - May 2 with 2183 viewsdurham_exile

TH takes charge of his Colchester United team for 90 minutes of Season defining football against the Lilywhites tomorrow.

This is the third successive season where the U's have required something from the final game, and arguably this is the most important. Sam Walker and Tom Eastman have been involved in them all. Frankly they deserve better.

Both teams need to win and that is going to create some incredible tension. PNE will have 3,000 supporters in hopefully a 10,000 capacity crowd which will be televised live on Sky Sports 2.

Social Media will maintain up to the second score updates and Sky will show through their on screen graphics the ever changing picture. There are 6 teams trying to avoid the 3 remaining relegation places and two teams vying for automatic promotion. The losing team in the latter mini-competition will at least have the cushion of a play off spot, but it will feel like abject failure.

In my 43 years of supporting the U's I have witnessed all the relegation and promotion games, the demise of our Football League status and the magnificent return to the league again. THAT game at Huish Park in May 2006 plus all the key Wembley games; but nothing is more important than tomorrow's match at Fortress WHCS.

I do not agree with those who state that relegation to league two is acceptable for the club. We are looking to grow the club, to further develop a training facility and to encourage the people of Colchester to back their professional football club. One poor season in league two and we would be back in the wilderness from which some clubs have never recovered.

Development requires recruiting better players and retaining those who we have brought through the youth development scheme. League Two football will set the club back at a time when finance is more crucial than ever.

Neither do I agree with this punching above our weight nonsense. Try telling that to Eddie Howe and Bournemouth. Teams are where they are on merit after 46 games; put simply the league table doesn't lie.

In our case, 12 home league defeats is the reason for our predicament not the failure to protect leads against Scunny or Gillingham, they may have contributed, but you cannot drop 36 points at home (not including the drawn matches) and expect that all will be well.

We must approach the game tomorrow with commitment, passion, skill, determination and no suggestion of inferiority. Of course PNE are a good team, a glance at the table tells you that, but we have already defeated the best team in League one in a pulsating game at the WHCS and we can win tomorrow without any doubt.

The Lilywhites are on an 18 match unbeaten run, whilst we have definitely shown over the past few games that we are capable of surviving for another year.

TH's task is simple to win the game. Nothing else will do or will be good enough.

Current table:

Coventry 45 12 16 17 47 59 -12 52
Crewe 45 14 10 21 43 74 -31 52
Notts Co 45 12 14 19 44 60 -16 50
Crawley 45 13 11 21 52 77 -25 50
COL U 45 13 10 22 57 77 -20 49
Orient 45 12 12 21 57 67 -10 48
Yeovil 45 10 10 25 35 70 -35 40 (R)

The vital games:

Colchester v Preston
Crawley Town v Coventry City
Crewe v Bradford
Gillingham v Notts Co
MK Dons v Yeovil
Swindon v Orient

Even a win doesn't guarantee success; but relegation on 52 points would be desperately unlucky. I am not going to worry about the permutations, we can do nothing to influence those games, but we can win our game.

TH will keep faith with his current squad of players and probably ask the eleven heroes who won at the Cod Army from a position of potential relegation with less than 5 minutes remaining to start again on Sunday lunchtime.

The back four have cemented their positions for tomorrow. Sam Walker is already a legend at the club. The outstanding Bongani Khumalo plays his last game for the club before returning to Spurs. Richard Brindley has been excellent since arriving from Rotherham on loan, Tom Eastman has once again had a solid season and Matt Briggs has proved a useful loan acquisition from Millwall.

In midfield Gilbey, Fox and Moncur have been outstanding whilst Chris Porter has brought experience to add to Gavin Massey's work rate and Jacob Murphy's (Norwich loanee) talent.

4, 3, 3

Walker

Brindley Khumalo Eastman Briggs

Gilbey Fox Moncur

Massey Porter Murphy

Subs:

Lewington, Wynter, Szmodics, Lapslie, Bonne Sembie-Ferris Healey

Tomorrow is all about belief and setting aside differences, whatever the significant minority who want TH out may think, togetherness and support is key for survival. There can be no division only unity.

I remember when we played Stoke in the Championship at Layer Road (they were poised for promotion to the top table) and a section of their support unfurled banners with "Pulis out" on them and I wondered what idiots those so called supporters must have been.

Tomorrow is not about disunity or disagreements. Recriminations may come later (if the worst occurs) but the team requires our support and to focus solely on defeating the Lilywhites.

Win tomorrow and it can be another one of those great memories for all Colchester supporters to reflect upon. Where were you on 3 May 2015 at 2pm when Colchester once again survived another year in league one.

Let us make sure that it the Barside boys making all the noise at 2pm on Sunday afternoon.

Defeat is not an option.

Keep the faith.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 13:10 - May 3 with 1133 viewsdurham_exile

Super u's edged the first half

We can do this

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 13:32 - May 3 with 1127 viewsdurham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 13:10 - May 3 by durham_exile

Super u's edged the first half

We can do this

Up the U's

Shocking penalty but we can still do this

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 13:38 - May 3 with 1117 viewsdurham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 13:32 - May 3 by durham_exile

Shocking penalty but we can still do this

Up the U's

Notts co leading at gillingham
As things stand even a win isn't enough
But come on

Durham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 13:43 - May 3 with 1112 viewsdurham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 13:38 - May 3 by durham_exile

Notts co leading at gillingham
As things stand even a win isn't enough
But come on

We can still do this

Durham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 13:46 - May 3 with 1110 viewsdurham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 13:43 - May 3 by durham_exile

We can still do this

Crawley drawing a win keeps us up

Durham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 13:52 - May 3 with 1109 viewsdurham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 13:46 - May 3 by durham_exile

Crawley drawing a win keeps us up

Come on

Durham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 13:55 - May 3 with 1105 viewsdurham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 13:52 - May 3 by durham_exile

Come on

We are staying up

Durham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 13:57 - May 3 with 1103 viewsdurham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 13:55 - May 3 by durham_exile

We are staying up

Up the u's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 13:58 - May 3 with 1101 viewsdurham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 13:57 - May 3 by durham_exile

Up the u's

Believe

Durham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 14:05 - May 3 with 1097 viewsBarsidepete

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 13:58 - May 3 by durham_exile

Believe

I'm too unnerved to have posted so far, Pete.

Will do some scoreboard watching and nail biting for the remaining minutes.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 14:12 - May 3 with 1088 viewsgerry_us

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 14:18 - May 3 with 1078 viewsdurham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 14:12 - May 3 by gerry_us

Party time

A deserved win

League one next season

Up the u's

Durham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 14:21 - May 3 with 1074 viewsBarsidepete

UNBELIEVABLE !!!!

GEORGE MONCUR ... forever LEGEND! ... and naturally our Sam who kept the clean sheet, which was imperative.

Happy will have more talking points with George's dad

And Thank You!
Coventry (Crawley 1-2 Sky Blues)
Bradford (Crewe 1-2 Bantams)
Gillingham (Gills 3-1 Notts County)
and honourable mention
Swindon 2-2 Leyton Orient

I'm speechless, otherwise, which is saying something for me

And thank you Mr. Humes for keeping the lads focused. Just plain wow all around. I don't believe my feet will touch the ground today.
[Post edited 3 May 2015 14:32]

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 14:41 - May 3 with 1044 viewsMadeira163

What a last 5 mins
At 90 we're safe I'm happy
Then Coventry and Gillingham score in injury time
My win treble suddenly in a blink if an eye is on
£217-50 for £5 bet
Reassessed
Finished work at 7am up at 11-45 was planning to get more sleep no way buzzing
Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 14:41 - May 3 with 1044 viewspwrightsknees

Super congrats to all! Just think that a whole season was defined with only 8 minutes left. Unbelievable. "Over the moon" doesn't nearly describe the feeling of elation.

And we only missed the play-offs by 17 points!
Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 14:49 - May 3 with 1029 viewsburnsieespana

What a fantastic result. Now I hope everybody supports Tony Humes for next season.
I couldn't face watching on TV as whenever I have ignored radio or TV or facebook we win!
Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 14:54 - May 3 with 1027 viewsdurham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 14:41 - May 3 by pwrightsknees

Super congrats to all! Just think that a whole season was defined with only 8 minutes left. Unbelievable. "Over the moon" doesn't nearly describe the feeling of elation.

And we only missed the play-offs by 17 points!

PWK - that's next season.

Super U's are staying up.

Up the U's

Just checking on the games for next season

Burton
Shrewsbury
Bury
Wigan
Blackpool
Rochdale
Bradford
Fleetwood
Walsall
Barnsley
Doncaster
Scunny
Oldham
Port Vale
Coventry
Crewe
plus:
Sheff Utd
Chesterfield
if they both miss out on play offs.

Very happy

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 14:56 - May 3 with 1025 viewsBarsidepete

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 14:49 - May 3 by burnsieespana

What a fantastic result. Now I hope everybody supports Tony Humes for next season.
I couldn't face watching on TV as whenever I have ignored radio or TV or facebook we win!

Me too, Burnsie!

I even predicted a 1-2 in Mick's PL, knowing it would go the other way then

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 15:03 - May 3 with 1018 viewsdurham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 14:54 - May 3 by durham_exile

PWK - that's next season.

Super U's are staying up.

Up the U's

Just checking on the games for next season

Burton
Shrewsbury
Bury
Wigan
Blackpool
Rochdale
Bradford
Fleetwood
Walsall
Barnsley
Doncaster
Scunny
Oldham
Port Vale
Coventry
Crewe
plus:
Sheff Utd
Chesterfield
if they both miss out on play offs.

Very happy

Up the U's

Table:

PV 46 -10 54
COL U 46 -19 52
Crewe 46 -32 52
Notts Co 46 -18 50 (R)
Crawley 46 -26 50 (R)
Orient 46 -10 49 (R)
Yeovil 46 -39 40 (R)

Super U's are staying Up

up the U's

Durham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 15:12 - May 3 with 1008 viewsBluenWightExile

Thankyou for keeping me positive Durham.
A decent performance very committed especially defensively and a deserved win.

But...... Let's not have this next year eh!

Up the U's

Bravo to all on here! Bravo to the 5000 faithful who sang all through.

Pinault-noir

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 15:13 - May 3 with 1008 viewsburnsieespana

Notts County supporters be gutted as don't think they have figured in the bottom four until today! Funny how it happens and we just hit form at the right moment.
[Post edited 3 May 2015 15:14]
Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 15:31 - May 3 with 984 viewsdurham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 15:12 - May 3 by BluenWightExile

Thankyou for keeping me positive Durham.
A decent performance very committed especially defensively and a deserved win.

But...... Let's not have this next year eh!

Up the U's

Bravo to all on here! Bravo to the 5000 faithful who sang all through.

BluenWight - after the penalty miss it took a tremendous amount of belief but we were the better team throughout the game and credit Chris Porter for his assist in the goal.

I totally agree three successive seasons is enough, time to figure in the top half of the table.

We must cling on to the rising stars in the side.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 15:34 - May 3 with 982 viewsdurham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 15:13 - May 3 by burnsieespana

Notts County supporters be gutted as don't think they have figured in the bottom four until today! Funny how it happens and we just hit form at the right moment.
[Post edited 3 May 2015 15:14]

We were more positive than PNE from the start and were the better team.

We have defeated the better teams in the division when it mattered.

Belief was coursing though the veins.

Totally deserved win.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 15:36 - May 3 with 980 viewsBarsidepete

Now I can put that ugly ColU 2-3 Crawley out of my head. Felt then that was a devastating turning point.

And lo and behold, Crawley on the final day go down.

Everything went our way today. I had a grim feeling that even a 1-0 would not be enough. I stayed away from score updates on the BBC.

Mind, I did start peeking and saw it was 0-0 late, 80' ...

Now we just need Stevenage to keep the Shrimp down, and Plymouth to gut Wycombe in the playoffs --never been there, but possibly a nice day out(?), albeit quite a trek-- away from League One.

But a part of me thinks it would be fun to have Saffend promoted.

We could relish kicking their ar*e twice. But I digress.

Sunday - Day of reckoning at the WHCS - Up the Super U's on 15:52 - May 3 with 965 viewsBluenWightExile

Plymouth?
Ghastly place - remember the play-off defeat in 95 with Sheedys screamer? Awful place, ground and supporters. No thankyou!

Pinault-noir

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024