Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Desert Island Discs 12:45 - May 12 with 15327 viewsLeadbelly

To help pass the non football season let's try compiling 8 tracks for our desert island sojourn. The idea (thanks Wessex) is we post one a week, hopefully with a You Tube link so others can see what all the fuss is about.

Here is my selection for week one, a cheery little ditty from Joy Division..."Dead Souls"

Hope the link works!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Desert Island Discs on 20:45 - Jun 23 with 1323 viewswessex_exile

Week 7, and I've dipped back into the cover genre - not necessarily because of the technical skill or interpretation that is on display (but they do this very very well), but for pure sentimental reasons - if I'm on a desert island I want this with me.

65 Stone are nothing much more than a good pub band at the moment (and I say that with the deepest of affection, having had the pleasure of some of their company here and there, including Cropredy one year), but they are my best mate's Dave's pub band - or at least were, as Dave sadly passed over with cancer just before Xmas last year. 65 Stone are still going strong though, and are planning a "Concert for Dave" benefit gig in support of one of the cancer charities some day soon. Incidentally, stuck for a name for their band, someone had the bright idea of adding up their total weight!

Dave is on vocals and bass for this one, and it makes me warm just to hear his voice, so hope you chaps enjoy 65 Stone's interpretation of the Neil Young classic "Hey hey My My".

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Desert Island Discs on 21:03 - Jun 23 with 1313 viewsLeadbelly

Desert Island Discs on 20:45 - Jun 23 by wessex_exile

Week 7, and I've dipped back into the cover genre - not necessarily because of the technical skill or interpretation that is on display (but they do this very very well), but for pure sentimental reasons - if I'm on a desert island I want this with me.

65 Stone are nothing much more than a good pub band at the moment (and I say that with the deepest of affection, having had the pleasure of some of their company here and there, including Cropredy one year), but they are my best mate's Dave's pub band - or at least were, as Dave sadly passed over with cancer just before Xmas last year. 65 Stone are still going strong though, and are planning a "Concert for Dave" benefit gig in support of one of the cancer charities some day soon. Incidentally, stuck for a name for their band, someone had the bright idea of adding up their total weight!

Dave is on vocals and bass for this one, and it makes me warm just to hear his voice, so hope you chaps enjoy 65 Stone's interpretation of the Neil Young classic "Hey hey My My".

I think that's about as good a reason as we'll get for any selection. Well played sir.

I suspect most of us have lost friends or loved ones to this b*****d affliction. When the band does do the benefit gig please let us know...i'm sure they'll be a way to show our support even if we can't be there in person.

Desert Island Discs on 22:14 - Jun 23 with 1310 viewspwrightsknees

Desert Island Discs on 12:57 - Jun 23 by Leadbelly

Week 7 and it's not getting any easier. This is a classic in my humble opinion.

Nice One LB. It was quite different from anything else a the time (in a good way). I always thought it was clever how the somewhat downbeat lyrics were matched with a lively upbeat tune.
Desert Island Discs on 22:26 - Jun 23 with 1307 viewsBarsidepete

Local,.. DC band Bad Brains, mid 80s..

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Desert Island Discs on 21:00 - Jun 24 with 1280 viewswessex_exile

Desert Island Discs on 22:14 - Jun 23 by pwrightsknees

Nice One LB. It was quite different from anything else a the time (in a good way). I always thought it was clever how the somewhat downbeat lyrics were matched with a lively upbeat tune.

Agreed, excellent choice Whales - and I for one would most definitely enjoy the irony of being stuck on a desert island listening to a tune that starts "Get up in the morning, slaving for bread, sir, so that every mouth can be fed."

Up the U's

Desert Island Discs on 11:16 - Jun 27 with 1252 viewspwrightsknees

Well then. Here it is. The last of the eight. Like you all, I have struggled to know what to leave out. But I may have found a compromise. Here is a jam session at the end of a Rock ‘n’ Roll concert and includes several of my heroes: My two biggest favourites, Jerry Lee Lewis and Fats Domino, plus other “greats” too, including James Brown, B.B. King, Little Richard, Ray Charles, Bo Diddley, Dave Edmunds, Ruth Brown. You may spot others.

A bit slow getting going, but stick with it. It's worth it. It may not be the best piece of music, but it’s wonderful to see all those stars performing on stage together. The Royal Variety Performance was never like this!

[Post edited 27 Jun 2015 11:24]
Desert Island Discs on 18:17 - Jul 2 with 1209 viewsLeadbelly

Final week and I've delayed long enough...

Without doubt my favourite band of all time is Half Man Half Biscuit. If you don't know them then it's no great surprise and if you do then it may well be just from the first couple of albums in the mid 80's. They are, however, alive and well, still releasing new material every two or three years and playing a small number of gigs each year. I believe they've improved with age.

If you do listen to my selection and don't like it or get it, fair enough. Kirsty McColl said music should make you laugh, cry, dance or sing. I don't think there is one HMHB album that hasn't made me do three out of the four and probably cry as well if I'd been drinking gin. Some tracks very nearly do all four and if, like me, you were born mid 60's and grew up in the 70's you won't fail to spot the numerous references to that period.

I said very early on in this process that I could easily have picked eight of their tracks. Picking one has been impossible so I'm going to cheat a la Fruitbat ,who first introduced me to HMHB, and list a number of tracks that were under consideration. I'll keep it to eight, just one today, more tomorrow.

Advert over, link to follow.

Desert Island Discs on 18:21 - Jul 2 with 1205 viewsLeadbelly

Opening track off probably my favourite HMHB album. Hope you enjoy.

Login to get fewer ads

Desert Island Discs on 06:14 - Jul 3 with 1181 viewspwrightsknees

OK everyone. What a super thread this had been. Here's a little bonus that I came across. It's John Lee Hooker wit ZZ Top and "Boom Boom".

Desert Island Discs on 12:46 - Jul 3 with 1170 viewsLeadbelly

Desert Island Discs on 18:21 - Jul 2 by Leadbelly

Opening track off probably my favourite HMHB album. Hope you enjoy.

If you ever had a paper round...

Desert Island Discs on 12:49 - Jul 3 with 1168 viewsLeadbelly

Desert Island Discs on 12:46 - Jul 3 by Leadbelly

If you ever had a paper round...

If you ever watched wrestling on a Saturday afternoon...

Desert Island Discs on 12:52 - Jul 3 with 1165 viewsLeadbelly

Desert Island Discs on 12:49 - Jul 3 by Leadbelly

If you ever watched wrestling on a Saturday afternoon...

If you ever played Scalextric or Subuteo or were unemployed...

I do have a Dukla Prague away kit

Desert Island Discs on 12:56 - Jul 3 with 1162 viewsLeadbelly

Desert Island Discs on 12:52 - Jul 3 by Leadbelly

If you ever played Scalextric or Subuteo or were unemployed...

I do have a Dukla Prague away kit

If you've ever wondered whether, just sometimes, this country has it's priorities wrong...

Desert Island Discs on 12:59 - Jul 3 with 1158 viewsLeadbelly

Desert Island Discs on 12:56 - Jul 3 by Leadbelly

If you've ever wondered whether, just sometimes, this country has it's priorities wrong...

If you've ever had to stop at a garage late at night...

Desert Island Discs on 13:01 - Jul 3 with 1156 viewsLeadbelly

Desert Island Discs on 12:59 - Jul 3 by Leadbelly

If you've ever been to football... (listen out for the final refrain...there are days!)

Desert Island Discs on 13:04 - Jul 3 with 1152 viewsLeadbelly

Desert Island Discs on 13:01 - Jul 3 by Leadbelly

If you've ever been to football... (listen out for the final refrain...there are days!)

If you've ever lived in a village...

Desert Island Discs on 13:08 - Jul 3 with 1146 viewsLeadbelly

Desert Island Discs on 13:04 - Jul 3 by Leadbelly

If you've ever lived in a village...

This one is self explanatory...

Desert Island Discs on 16:51 - Jul 3 with 1143 viewsBluenWightExile

Firstly - to Wessex and Whalers - BRILLIANT thread thank you and the participants very much indeed!

Music and mirth - an antedote to an increasingly sick world. Well, not the world but some of the people on it.

And so to week 8 and something which just lifts me above negativity because it's good and clever and dateless and I am grateful for it...............

DAVE BRUBECK QUARTET - "Take 5"

Up the U's
Up the Usual

Pinault-noir

Desert Island Discs on 19:04 - Jul 3 with 1132 viewspwrightsknees

Desert Island Discs on 16:51 - Jul 3 by BluenWightExile

Firstly - to Wessex and Whalers - BRILLIANT thread thank you and the participants very much indeed!

Music and mirth - an antedote to an increasingly sick world. Well, not the world but some of the people on it.

And so to week 8 and something which just lifts me above negativity because it's good and clever and dateless and I am grateful for it...............

DAVE BRUBECK QUARTET - "Take 5"

Up the U's
Up the Usual

Good call, BNW. I was never into modern jazz, but Dave Brubeck gave it a very "listenable" quality and "Take 5" is just so relaxing. A bit hit in my teen years.

Dave like to experiment with timing, and "Unsquare Dance" was in 7/4 time - I don't understand the technicalities, but, I am told, that is a very difficult thing. I do remember that on the original single, (released about a year after "Take 5"), you can hear a slight cheer at the end when they've achieved it.

Now, here's a version I picked up with Dave and the London Symphony Orchestra. I hope you like it.

Desert Island Discs on 20:17 - Jul 3 with 1121 viewswessex_exile

Desert Island Discs on 13:01 - Jul 3 by Leadbelly

Really enjoying them all so far Whales (still a couple to go), but the Referees Alphabet in particular is flippin' brilliant, and helped enormously by whomsoever put the video together - just a perfect match with the lyrics!!

Up the U's

Desert Island Discs on 23:02 - Jul 3 with 1091 viewswessex_exile

BTW folks - I have a road trip to Rochester tomorrow, which will include me deciding on the journey there and back my final Week 8 selection...so I know I've crashed through the end date, but f'ck it - Whales on his own has given us all more than enough to enjoy, never mind some Brubeck excellence (Take Five below), so I reckon my final choice can wait for a short while...

...it's so bloody hard though!

Up the U's

Desert Island Discs on 23:50 - Jul 3 with 1086 viewsLeadbelly

Desert Island Discs on 20:17 - Jul 3 by wessex_exile

Really enjoying them all so far Whales (still a couple to go), but the Referees Alphabet in particular is flippin' brilliant, and helped enormously by whomsoever put the video together - just a perfect match with the lyrics!!

There is an alarming number of HMHB obsessives out there who make me look like an amateur, quite a few of them compiling some very strange videos. Next week I shall post a link to "David Wainwright's feet". Great track that has only appeared on a compilation album but the home made video by an HMHB fan, featuring his kids and their friends, is a joy to behold...and has another great bit of music running over the credits!

Desert Island Discs on 00:03 - Jul 4 with 1083 viewsLeadbelly

Apropos of nothing...back from the pub and BBC4 has various people singing Elvis tracks. Highlights so far Willie Nelson, Tom Jones and the much missed Kirsty McColl.

Desert Island Discs on 08:18 - Jul 4 with 1070 viewsFruitbat

If we're going multiples again then I shall use week 8 to post some of the tracks yhat didn't make the original list.

First up it the Sisters of Mercy again with possibly the greatest cover version ever....
[Post edited 4 Jul 2015 8:20]
Desert Island Discs on 21:15 - Jul 4 with 1052 viewswessex_exile

Desert Island Discs on 12:59 - Jul 3 by Leadbelly

Did you get a name-check in the middle of that Whales? Either the link wasn't to the whole song, or they need to finish it - because I was really hoping after ordering as much random carp as possible, they just walked away with some sort of plaintive "sorry mate, forgot me wallet"?

Up the U's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024