Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Desert Island Discs 12:45 - May 12 with 15200 viewsLeadbelly

To help pass the non football season let's try compiling 8 tracks for our desert island sojourn. The idea (thanks Wessex) is we post one a week, hopefully with a You Tube link so others can see what all the fuss is about.

Here is my selection for week one, a cheery little ditty from Joy Division..."Dead Souls"

Hope the link works!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Desert Island Discs on 17:36 - May 12 with 6336 viewsBarsidepete

So the thread means what 8 we'd like to have on a desert Isle?

I'm gonna think about about it. Um, will post later with the songs. I have a top four of 8 pretty much in mind. But 8, hmm.

Interesting.

Give me a few hours, Lead.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Desert Island Discs on 18:07 - May 12 with 6322 viewsFruitbat

Number one takes no thought at all. Pictures Of You (preferably the 12" extended mix) by The Cure. Best song by the best band ever. If you disagree you are wrong. There'll be a lot of Cure songs in this list though I'll try not to pick all 8 (but number 2 will definitely be another one).

Can't do linky things on this, have to go and fire up the laptop.
Desert Island Discs on 18:19 - May 12 with 6312 viewsBarsidepete

Desert Island Discs on 18:07 - May 12 by Fruitbat

Number one takes no thought at all. Pictures Of You (preferably the 12" extended mix) by The Cure. Best song by the best band ever. If you disagree you are wrong. There'll be a lot of Cure songs in this list though I'll try not to pick all 8 (but number 2 will definitely be another one).

I have the rare, rare The Police "Reggatta de Blanc" from The Police, double LP--not sure why it came that way. The edition with the poster included, which I have have wanted to frame. But keep it preciously preserved inside the sleeve. Four folded.

And also the rare alternate colour, gray of the same, The Gray album version of the regular LP.

The Cure? one of the greatest bands ever, mate.
[Post edited 13 May 2015 1:30]

Desert Island Discs on 19:07 - May 12 with 6299 viewswessex_exile

Wow - straight in with The Cure and Joy Division, good start! In that case my first disc will be Sisters of Mercy's "This Corrosion", but it has to be the extended version as below:

It won't be all gothy shoe-gazing, so make the most of this one.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Desert Island Discs on 20:51 - May 12 with 6283 viewsFruitbat

Desert Island Discs on 19:07 - May 12 by wessex_exile

Wow - straight in with The Cure and Joy Division, good start! In that case my first disc will be Sisters of Mercy's "This Corrosion", but it has to be the extended version as below:

It won't be all gothy shoe-gazing, so make the most of this one.

There will be Sisters songs in my list but I tend to prefer first album over second (which itself is vastly superior to the third). Good choice though, this and "Neverland" (the full eleven minute version) are definitely the best of that incarnation of the band.
Desert Island Discs on 23:57 - May 12 with 6262 viewspwrightsknees

OK Chaps. For me my first choice would be Rockin' My Life Away by Jerry Lee Lewis. If it works, here's one of his later live versions.

Desert Island Discs on 02:42 - May 13 with 6243 viewsBarsidepete

Ok, I've only recently sussed how to bold words, italicize, underline my texts.

I only rarely post videos and still don't have the hang on how to post a picture.

Does one just copy the URL for a video? I forget how I made that happen in past.

Cheers.
[Post edited 13 May 2015 2:45]

Desert Island Discs on 06:39 - May 13 with 6229 viewswessex_exile

Desert Island Discs on 23:57 - May 12 by pwrightsknees

OK Chaps. For me my first choice would be Rockin' My Life Away by Jerry Lee Lewis. If it works, here's one of his later live versions.

Brilliant stuff PWK!

Pete, simple from YouTube, just click on the "Share" tab, copy the YouTube address (not the URL), and paste in a message here.

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

Desert Island Discs on 06:52 - May 13 with 6226 viewswessex_exile

Desert Island Discs on 18:07 - May 12 by Fruitbat

Fruitbat, taken the liberty on your behalf, as this really does deserve sharing with others :-)

Up the U's

Desert Island Discs on 15:16 - May 13 with 6204 viewsBarsidepete

Desert Island Discs on 06:39 - May 13 by wessex_exile

Brilliant stuff PWK!

Pete, simple from YouTube, just click on the "Share" tab, copy the YouTube address (not the URL), and paste in a message here.

Aw, Thanks, Wes.

I've actually rethought what I will post,.. later today.

Desert Island Discs on 22:18 - May 13 with 6172 viewsLeadbelly

Just spent an hour narrowing down my short list list from approximately 25 to well over 50. Not quite what I had planned.

Anyway, disc 2 selected for next week. Not actually a song or even an instrumental. Enormously expensive prize for the first one to guess the artiste!

Some excellent selections so far. I'm very slowly getting to appreciate The Cure. I do like "A forest" (I think)

Desert Island Discs on 22:26 - May 13 with 6170 viewswessex_exile

Desert Island Discs on 22:18 - May 13 by Leadbelly

Just spent an hour narrowing down my short list list from approximately 25 to well over 50. Not quite what I had planned.

Anyway, disc 2 selected for next week. Not actually a song or even an instrumental. Enormously expensive prize for the first one to guess the artiste!

Some excellent selections so far. I'm very slowly getting to appreciate The Cure. I do like "A forest" (I think)

John Cooper Clarke - Beastly Beasley Street?

Up the U's

Desert Island Discs on 22:41 - May 13 with 6164 viewsBarsidepete

Desert Island Discs on 22:26 - May 13 by wessex_exile

You make me laugh.

So now after someone posts, we get bonus points for predicting what artists they will post next?

ok, Mitchell and Webb Football, Football, Football

Love that line, The Giants of Charlton play host to the Titans of Ipswich ... that is classically beautiful. I can't stop laughing when I hear that phrase on M&W [
[Post edited 14 May 2015 0:50]

Desert Island Discs on 19:37 - May 14 with 6117 viewsLeadbelly

Desert Island Discs on 22:26 - May 13 by wessex_exile

Goodness me! Am I that predictable?

Toss up between that, Tw@t and Evidently Chicken town. The man is a genius and also very, very funny...and an adopted son of Colchester, well Wivenhoe.

Desert Island Discs on 20:28 - May 14 with 6108 viewswessex_exile

Desert Island Discs on 19:37 - May 14 by Leadbelly

Goodness me! Am I that predictable?

Toss up between that, Tw@t and Evidently Chicken town. The man is a genius and also very, very funny...and an adopted son of Colchester, well Wivenhoe.

Hahaha - get in!!!

Not predictable, no, but you'd signposted it fairly well to be fair with not a song nor an instrumental. My thoughts (as they oft do) immediately turned to the medium of rhyme, and from there it was only one option really. I saw John Cooper Clarke several times in the 80s whilst living in Bradford, best of all in a dingy backroom of a bikers pub called the Vaults that used to be around the back of the Alhambra - absolutely nailed it that night!

Kung Fu International is pretty good too, but I honestly didn't know the Wivenhoe connection until I googled it right now (wikipedia says Colchester, but what do they know).

edit: P.S. I've got my second ready too, and it's a cover from a most unlikely source (a combo actually) of a most unlikely song - double or quits on your enormously expensive prize?
[Post edited 14 May 2015 20:35]

Up the U's

Desert Island Discs on 20:50 - May 14 with 6096 viewsLeadbelly

White Stripes/ Dusty Springfield?

Desert Island Discs on 00:18 - May 15 with 6083 viewswessex_exile

Desert Island Discs on 20:50 - May 14 by Leadbelly

White Stripes/ Dusty Springfield?

Good call, and that's vaguely close to one that was in my mind with Tammy Wynette and the KLF, but nowhere near what it will be - when does Week 2 start btw, Saturday?

Anyway, enjoy Justified and Ancient regardless.

Up the U's

Desert Island Discs on 13:28 - May 15 with 6020 viewsLeadbelly

Desert Island Discs on 00:18 - May 15 by wessex_exile

Good call, and that's vaguely close to one that was in my mind with Tammy Wynette and the KLF, but nowhere near what it will be - when does Week 2 start btw, Saturday?

Anyway, enjoy Justified and Ancient regardless.

The prize is yours. Something pint shaped in the Bricklayers next time you're down perhaps?

Agreed, week 2 starts tomorrow

Desert Island Discs on 11:36 - May 16 with 5990 viewspwrightsknees

A bit of a history lesson, Folks. Ronnie Lane, bass guitarist with The Small Faces, The Faces and then his own band, Slim Chance, was diagnosed with multiple-sclerosis in the late 1970s. In the mid-1980s, Bill Wyman got together a group of friends to record an album under the name of Willie and The Poor Boys in support of the Ronnie Lane Appeal for Action for Research into Multiple Sclerosis (A.R.M.S.). Then a few months later, they reformed with a few new faces to do a concert.

Here’s my favourite track, Chicken Shack Boogie, which was an earlier hit in the U.S. for Amos Milburn, and I’ve always loved it. You’ll recognise some familiar faces in the video.

Incidentally, Willy and the Poor Boys had been the title of a 1969 L.P. by Creedence Clearwater Revival — another great band.

Sadly, Ronnie Lane died in 1997.

So, here’s my second offering, but this and my next six are not in any order of preference. Sorry about the ad at the start.

http://www.mtv.co.uk/willie-and-the-poor-boys/videos/chicken-shack-boogie
[Post edited 22 May 2015 23:35]
Desert Island Discs on 23:51 - May 17 with 5965 viewswessex_exile

PWK - bloody brilliant!!!

Okay, so my second choice, as I've already said, is a cover. Normally, I'm not a big fan of covers, much prefer artists to do their own thing, but when the cover artist brings their own thing to the track, that makes a big difference. Even more so if we're talking totally different 'genres' paying homage to excellent tracks.

This, however, is all that, and to me another level above, and in my own personal opinion takes what is an utterly brilliant track to a height that I suspect the original band really wanted to achieve but didn't quite.

I saw this performed live at Salisbury City Hall, and to be honest could listen to this on repeat forever, so an easy choice for Track 2. Hope you all enjoy.

[Post edited 18 May 2015 0:06]

Up the U's

Desert Island Discs on 13:13 - May 18 with 5935 viewsLeadbelly

My choice for week 2 - John Cooper Clarke, Beasley Street

Saw June Tabor & The Oyster Band at Cambridge Folk Festival but, due to Guinness consumption, I couldn't say whether they performed Love Will Tear Us Apart. Headphones in the office have had it so I'll have a listen tonight.

Desert Island Discs on 20:55 - May 18 with 5917 viewsLeadbelly

Excellent choice Wessex. Proves again what a brilliant song that is.

PWK- I couldn't open your link to Chicken Shack Boogie but did find another version by a different Bill Wyman combo. Very good.

Desert Island Discs on 19:56 - May 19 with 5887 viewsFruitbat

Right, I've decided to impose upon myself a limit of one track per artist or this will jus become a list of Cure songs. Weeks two's offering is therefore no longer Inbetween Days.

I pretty much love anything by the Cocteau Twins but Heaven or Las Vegas is my favourite, it also solves the other challenge I set myself which was to get out of the 1980's (but only just, the album was released in 1990!). Not quite sure I've got the hang of the link, lets hope so or I'm relying on Wessex's good will again!

Desert Island Discs on 20:28 - May 19 with 5879 viewsLeadbelly

Link works.

I have also imposed a limit of one track per artist otherwise my list could well have been 8 Half Man Half Biscuit songs.

Always liked the Cocteau Twins but have never really worked out what she's singing about. Sounds good though.

Desert Island Discs on 20:56 - May 19 with 5873 viewswessex_exile

Desert Island Discs on 13:13 - May 18 by Leadbelly

My choice for week 2 - John Cooper Clarke, Beasley Street

Saw June Tabor & The Oyster Band at Cambridge Folk Festival but, due to Guinness consumption, I couldn't say whether they performed Love Will Tear Us Apart. Headphones in the office have had it so I'll have a listen tonight.

Last time I was at Cambridge was a long time ago, but it wasn't the beer tent that befuddled my senses back then - and this was back in the day when the local plod would watch half a dozen sorry hippies sharing one 'cigarette' then bust the lot for possession.

Your clip is classic gritty John Cooper Clarke, and I loved it, but surfing YouTube I found this alternative - much longer, much more tuneful...but sold out?

Up the U's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024