Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Number of players used by the 72 Football League Clubs last season 23:41 - May 28 with 754 viewsdurham_exile

Durham_exile

Number of players used by the 72 Football League Clubs last season on 10:16 - May 29 with 730 viewswessex_exile

Fascinating Durham, in that it appears to reinforce the concept that stability and consistency in a squad is critical to success, and I would be the first to agree it is a very important component.

But is that what the numbers are saying? I would argue that quite probably that premise can be turned full circle - for teams that were doing well, the manager is much less inclined to make changes, try different formations, combinations etc., whilst those at the wrong end have to make more changes in that search for an all to elusive winning formula?

It's not that teams who used fewer players did better, it's teams that did better needed fewer players I'd say.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Number of players used by the 72 Football League Clubs last season on 11:37 - May 29 with 702 viewsLeadbelly

How many of those teams using 40 or more players had a manager who had been at the club long term, say appointed before 2013/14 season?

I suspect new incumbents, such as Tony Humes, almost feel obliged to make changes. Let's face it, very few of them take over a club doing well. Searching for the right combination can, as we saw at the Col U, take almost the entire season...and even then it was a long way from ideal in my view.

A stable side doesn't guarantee success but constant change almost certainly prevents it. Humes needs to get his transfer business done asap and work with the squad for as long as possible to minimise the need for wholesale change during the season. I can but hope.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Number of players used by the 72 Football League Clubs last season on 18:42 - May 30 with 654 viewsBarsidepete

Tim Sherwood has said he wishes to coalesce a squad early for Villa, and used Mourinho as an example, what he does with Chelsea. Meaning well early in the pre-season, so something constructive can be developed before first real kickoff.

If TH is happy with what is on hand, fine. But if the U's reach that unmagical number of 40-plus again, more heart medication will be necessary come late March/into April.

Keeping the faith.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024