Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Neil Franklin: A Career Destroyed in Six Matches 14:08 - Jun 15 with 1173 viewsalfieph

Hi fellas,

There isn't much of a focus on his time managing Colchester here but as a former manager of 4 years I thought some of you might be interested in this article on Neil Franklin. For younger posters, Franklin was widely regarded as England's finest defender, some maintain better than Bobby Moore, but spent only 4 years in the top flight. He lost the early years of his career to the war, before leaving England for Colombia in 1950 due to the domestic wage cap and turning down the chance to play for his country at the 1950 World Cup. Full article is here for those of you who are interested:

http://ahalftimereport.com/2015/06/12/neilfranklin/

Cheers!
Neil Franklin: A Career Destroyed in Six Matches on 17:50 - Jun 15 with 1151 viewsbwildered

A player before his time and mine ! A Intresting article and in hindsight a brave move by the U's to employ him considering how he ostrichiszed by so many .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Neil Franklin: A Career Destroyed in Six Matches on 19:41 - Jun 15 with 1144 viewsthrillseeker

A really interesting read

Thanks
Neil Franklin: A Career Destroyed in Six Matches on 19:58 - Jun 15 with 1139 viewswessex_exile

An excellent read, thanks very much Alfie!

We (Colchester United) don't usually make too many waves in football, but I like to think every so often we buck the trend - like giving Franklin a foothold back in the English domestic game, sending Don Revie and his Leeds team of internationals home with their tail between their legs, maybe that last run-out for Teddy Sheringham, and certainly persuading Jock Wallace out of retirement to save us from relegation out of the football league (for that season at least), sadly followed too soon after by Jock's untimely death at the age of just 60 from Parkinson's Disease.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Neil Franklin: A Career Destroyed in Six Matches on 20:26 - Jun 15 with 1134 viewsBarsidepete

A very good read. I wonder how this information sourced, though. Are there some interesting book references? Are you working on a longer piece about Neil Franklin?

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Neil Franklin: A Career Destroyed in Six Matches on 11:38 - Jun 16 with 1069 viewsalfieph

Neil Franklin: A Career Destroyed in Six Matches on 20:26 - Jun 15 by Barsidepete

A very good read. I wonder how this information sourced, though. Are there some interesting book references? Are you working on a longer piece about Neil Franklin?

Thanks for all the positive feedback fellas, glad you enjoyed the article.

Franklin came to my attention via my Grandad, who told me of his story. After that I did some digging, mainly online, there is very little in print. It did occur to me every time I had to leave something out that there really is so much to his story that it would make for a great book and it is something I'm genuinely considering embarking on, although I'd probably have to go down the kindle/amazon/e-book route as I couldn't fund self-publishing and doubt I could convince and agent or publisher that it would be lucrative enough.

Thanks again for the comments and if there are any other great stories about ex-U's that don't get much coverage, please let me know and I'd be happy to feature them on the site. Cheers.
Neil Franklin: A Career Destroyed in Six Matches on 13:38 - Jun 16 with 1063 viewsburnsieespana

Great . Some stuff I never was aware of about Neil Franklin who was pretty unlucky to get sacked by us.
Neil Franklin: A Career Destroyed in Six Matches (n/t) on 18:08 - Jun 16 with 1039 viewsbwildered

There was a article in Backpass magazine over a year ago regards guy from Cardifff who was U's manager for just under a week but was sacked because the local press found out his CV incorrect .
Must be worth a delve .
[Post edited 16 Jun 2015 18:15]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024