Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Woman's Football 14:57 - Jul 1 with 2095 viewsburnsieespana

Been watching a bit of the tournament and surprised at strength of some. Have always thought woman's football had skill but not strength. Also Mrs. B very surprised at crowds.
Any other thoughts?
Woman's Football on 16:17 - Jul 1 with 1117 viewsBarsidepete

Been watching many of the games. Especially, naturally, when England and the USA play.

Will be glued tonight, England v the world champions, Japan.

Adding 8 extra teams has definitely affected the eye-test in terms of the quality of the women's game. But the top nations have great appeal.

Hope Solo may even be good enough to play for a Championship side if not a lower level Premier League club. Her saves and athleticism, plum breathtaking in goal.

I wonder how long before football becomes open to a woman playing on the squad, with men? Some of the women have amazing skills.

And the attendances? Women's soccer is quite popular in North America. For some reason I can probably name all players in the US starting 11. Not to come across as sexist, but they have skills, they're pretty, and some of the goals are world class, as good any man.

Go England! Let's have a USA v England final

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Woman's Football on 17:36 - Jul 1 with 1104 viewsgerry_us

Woman's Football on 16:17 - Jul 1 by Barsidepete

Been watching many of the games. Especially, naturally, when England and the USA play.

Will be glued tonight, England v the world champions, Japan.

Adding 8 extra teams has definitely affected the eye-test in terms of the quality of the women's game. But the top nations have great appeal.

Hope Solo may even be good enough to play for a Championship side if not a lower level Premier League club. Her saves and athleticism, plum breathtaking in goal.

I wonder how long before football becomes open to a woman playing on the squad, with men? Some of the women have amazing skills.

And the attendances? Women's soccer is quite popular in North America. For some reason I can probably name all players in the US starting 11. Not to come across as sexist, but they have skills, they're pretty, and some of the goals are world class, as good any man.

Go England! Let's have a USA v England final

..and we'll wup your ass!
Woman's Football on 17:42 - Jul 1 with 1102 viewsBarsidepete

50 freaking thousand crowd.

Just read that on the BBC site, the US v Germany game.

North America is treating the Women's World Cup with great reverence.

Now if we could only have the men's 2018 and 2022 in England and the states, respectively.

Who wouldn't want to travel to the US and England for a summer hols? Russia? Qatar? Give me a break.

Woman's Football on 17:43 - Jul 1 with 1100 viewsLeadbelly

Really can't get enthusiastic about this but the limited amount of goalkeeping that I've seen leaves a lot to be desired.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Woman's Football on 17:44 - Jul 1 with 1097 viewsBarsidepete

Woman's Football on 17:36 - Jul 1 by gerry_us

..and we'll wup your ass!

I hope so Gerry or not

Looking forward to the game tonight, England v Japan. But based on the time zones, doesn't that kick off at midnight in England?

Woman's Football on 17:56 - Jul 1 with 1094 viewsBarsidepete

Woman's Football on 17:43 - Jul 1 by Leadbelly

Really can't get enthusiastic about this but the limited amount of goalkeeping that I've seen leaves a lot to be desired.

Lead, it's a simple competition. Best footy nation wins.

I've coached 10 year olds locally. I assure you, the quality of play was eye-wateringly bad.

But at least football is way more important here, especially for girls, than anywhere on the planet.

Many a kick-arounds with my young Leigh-bee (Leigh Elizabeth) ... Even Subbuteo, and I have a hand-painted US team .. and Colchester ... um Liverpool, Chelsea, Newcastle ... Guilty pleasure, have a vintage Norwich team. (1974?)

My dog, a Staffordshire, Della ate the goals once as they were left out and she thought they were chew toys.

Leigh is a genius at Subbuteo. A real pro

Woman's Football on 20:04 - Jul 1 with 1081 viewsgerry_us

Woman's Football on 17:43 - Jul 1 by Leadbelly

Certainly our keeper is "dodgy". She will need to up her game if we are to succeed.
Woman's Football on 22:40 - Jul 1 with 1063 viewswessex_exile

It's certainly not because I think it's a "man's game", there are some very talented female footballers out there, certainly the professional game needs more female involvement both on the terraces but more importantly involved with what's on the pitch (e.g. Sian Massey, who proved her worth despite the scandalous behaviour of dinosaurs Gray and Keys), but like WB I just can't get myself excited enough about women's football.

I would absolutely love to see a female football manager managing in the professional game, we have them in the Boardrooms, and given the likelihood of a black football manager seemed a very distant and unlikely prospect not that long ago, maybe it will happen in my lifetime. More so I'd like to see women on the pitch competing with men, but I think as you've said Burnsie, when you balance skill against strength, it would be a very brave manager to sign a female member of the playing squad any day soon...sadly.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Login to get fewer ads

Woman's Football on 10:58 - Jul 2 with 1042 viewsTheOldOakTree

Never been a big fan of women’s football, but I stayed up and watched the game last night, England were so unlucky and deserved to win. Very cruel fluke of an ending. For all of Japans skill and passing they created very little and never threatened, whereas England hit the bar twice, looked good going forward and were always dangerous.

Far more entertaining and skilful than any England men’s game I have seen for at least 10 years and without all the swearing at officials and general moaning. The whole squad and manager deserve much praise. Had the game been on earlier the whole country would have been won over by the Lionesses. We should be very proud.

As for lack of strength, I don’t think that matters too much. Half the cloggers in league one wouldn’t have got near the ball had they played Japan. At halftime they showed Japan building an attack with 23 perfect passes, yet England still dominated the chances with numerous quick breaks. I thought it was a fascinating game.

As for the general poor standard of goalkeeping in the women’s game, that's got to be because they have more sense than us. Who in their right mind would volunteer to be a goalkeeper?
Woman's Football on 12:13 - Jul 2 with 1036 viewsnoah4x4

Am I the only one glad they lost?

Imagine the torment of 50 years of bragging rights had they won the World Cup?
Woman's Football on 06:48 - Jul 3 with 1008 viewsBarsidepete

Got my little her first boots, not to mention took time for kickarounds, and attended her earliest games, traveling around the DC area to see her play when she wasn't that great at football.

I reckon it's a cultural thing where some nations don't care about the women's game as much as others.

Don't worry, Noah. We'll be happy just fine if the USA defeats the world champions, Japan, on Sunday.

Woman's Football on 11:29 - Jul 5 with 961 viewsnoah4x4

Exactly what I predicted. Third place, and now they are crowing that it was the "Second best WORLD CUP performance ever by an England team".

Perhaps true in one sense; but only in the context of a second best competition akin to the (secondary) ICC Associate Nations Cricket World Cup which is incomparable to the standards of the real (primary) ICC World Cup.

Yes, it was a good effort by the Woman's team, but let's keep this in context. How can anyone legitimately claim parity for the women's game until they play with/against men? Why also should women get equal loot at Wimbledon when they don't play five sets?

I am all for equal rights/equal pay/equal recognition and similar where wholly justified, but it's barmy to compare the achievements of the England (womens) 2015 with England (mens) 1966.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2015 11:29]
Woman's Football on 15:30 - Jul 5 with 949 viewsBarsidepete

You seem a bit obsessed with stating your case, and it frankly indicates what generation you are from (read: age)...

You clearly suggest that women are second best and their sporting achievements should be diminished or dismissed.

Your argument about the parity with the men's game as a litmus test is ridiculous. Men are bigger, physically, and have a greater infrastructure in their sports --developed academies and financial resources-- where it doesn't take a genius to understand why women couldn't possibly compete with men on level terms.

To your point about Wimbledon, the "loot," as you call it, is distributed equally due to a matter of gender equality. There have been players, including past Wimbledon champion Billie Jean King, who HAVE campaigned for a best-of-five in the grand slam tourneys. And there is a rumbling of support to go to the five set format from women who compete.

But sports have long been run by men and there has been a dismissive attitude, yours included, about women on the pitch --or pick any sport-- that women were not fit enough to compete on a parallel plane with men.

Some of us don't have an antiquated view about women in sports.

All the other tennis tournaments throughout the year, men play a best-of three. The golf US Open, are Brits going to complain that if it is all square after 72 it should go to sudden death playoff holes? ... Here, if that should occur, one has to play a Day 5 18 holes to determine the winner, not like that wimpy playoff hole format at the Open (which we call the British Open).

Can't you just be happy for the England women? Do you pour salt on your ice cream too?

Woman's Football on 18:28 - Jul 5 with 922 viewsTheOldOakTree

Woman's Football on 15:30 - Jul 5 by Barsidepete

You seem a bit obsessed with stating your case, and it frankly indicates what generation you are from (read: age)...

You clearly suggest that women are second best and their sporting achievements should be diminished or dismissed.

Your argument about the parity with the men's game as a litmus test is ridiculous. Men are bigger, physically, and have a greater infrastructure in their sports --developed academies and financial resources-- where it doesn't take a genius to understand why women couldn't possibly compete with men on level terms.

To your point about Wimbledon, the "loot," as you call it, is distributed equally due to a matter of gender equality. There have been players, including past Wimbledon champion Billie Jean King, who HAVE campaigned for a best-of-five in the grand slam tourneys. And there is a rumbling of support to go to the five set format from women who compete.

But sports have long been run by men and there has been a dismissive attitude, yours included, about women on the pitch --or pick any sport-- that women were not fit enough to compete on a parallel plane with men.

Some of us don't have an antiquated view about women in sports.

All the other tennis tournaments throughout the year, men play a best-of three. The golf US Open, are Brits going to complain that if it is all square after 72 it should go to sudden death playoff holes? ... Here, if that should occur, one has to play a Day 5 18 holes to determine the winner, not like that wimpy playoff hole format at the Open (which we call the British Open).

Can't you just be happy for the England women? Do you pour salt on your ice cream too?

Totally agree with everything you say there Pete.

To suggest that women can only prove themselves by playing against men is just plain sexist bollox that belongs in the 1970's. There's none so blind as them that don't want to see.

It's no better than saying every England cricket team that has ever played was rubbish, because only a handful of countries play cricket. Had the Germans and USA played cricket they would almost certainly have beaten us, but it's a stupid argument and so is the idea that women are no good because they don't play mens football.

The Lionesses have put to shame the efforts of any England mens team since at least 1990. The overpaid, underachieving, moaning, egotistic, nancy boys that have put on a England shirt in the last 25 years should be highly embarrassed by the selfless determination, spirit, skill and achievement that a bunch of semi-professional ladies have shown.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2015 18:42]
Woman's Football on 19:29 - Jul 5 with 908 viewsLeadbelly

Other than those which involve horses what are the sports where men and women do or could compete on a perfectly equal basis?

Woman's Football on 19:58 - Jul 5 with 895 viewsgerry_us

Woman's Football on 19:29 - Jul 5 by Leadbelly

Other than those which involve horses what are the sports where men and women do or could compete on a perfectly equal basis?

Tiddlywinks?
Woman's Football on 20:20 - Jul 5 with 893 viewsnoah4x4

Ah-Ha...I knew this deliberate provocation would eventually start a worthy debate. It's been a bit boring in here since the end of May.

Yes, good luck to all lady footballers; cricketers; darts or whatever. But I think this conversation about the role of gender in sport is completely different to any that apply in (say) the workplace.

For example; wherever men and women do exactly the same job, and/or perform equally; they MUST have equal pay and equal rights. But in some notable sporting situations; why can't there be an acceptance that men and women are NOT equal. Men's football will always be vastly superior; whilst the grace of women's synchronised swimming or rhythmic gymnastics will correspondingly never be matched by men. In a few areas there are inevitably exceptions; (example Equestrian; Archery; shooting and Table Tennis).

But why can't women simply accept that in some sports gender does matter and hence stop making stupid comparisons? It's ridiculous to compare the Women's World Cup of 2015 with that of the Mens World Cup in 1966 (or later). Hence when many high profile female sports reporters and news readers referred to this team as ".....the SECOND most successful England World Cup Team" wasn't that deliberately provocative towards men?

It's wholly true they are THE most successful England WOMAN'S team in any Woman's World Cup. No doubt about that - and well done to them. But let's have accurate sports reporting by female (and male) sports journalists. What next, comparisons when we fail at the next men's world cup. Incomparable!
[Post edited 5 Jul 2015 20:37]
Woman's Football on 23:54 - Jul 5 with 858 viewsBarsidepete

The 2019 Women's World Cup will be in France, stretched among 11 venues in France. How cool is that? as if one needs more reasons to arbitrarily visit France during the summer. Have a funny feeling there will be plenty of attendees from two powerhouse nations like England and Germany. That tournament will easily be a success. Americans will fly over by the thousands or merely drive or take the rail from points around Europe.

*The 2023 games have yet to be awarded, but as I understand, Japan and Australia are front-runners.

The workplace equality aspect, that should be a given. And I don't see that anyone here is contending that women could just jump into the men's game of any sport. Baseball might be a good measure here stateside. Women here (let's qualify that statement, starting with girls at the young and grassroots level) don't play baseball. It's softball, a variant of baseball. One reason has been that a woman pitcher can't throw the baseball 93-97 miles per hour while a softball doesn't travel as fast. But a softball is bigger, however a softball is thrown underhand and closer to the batter from the "mound" which is not raised like in baseball. An analysis on ESPN has shown that hitting a sofball into the field of play may be more difficult than in baseball.

And on a side-note, both men and women play softball recreationally. So oddly enough, it unifies men and women in the same sport. I have even played some softball games, the "slow-pitch" version, not the young and college "fastball" softball version. I struck out most of the time. There is a real art-form where the ball does something weird in the air before it reaches the batter and the plate.

I'd undoubtedly watch more cricket than I do if I simply understood the rules of the game, cricket. Possibly the same reason some who follow cricket religiously don't understand baseball. It's not that complicated but there are nuances of Major League Baseball that many outside of the USA, Japan and Central American countries don't get, so they turn away. Fair enough.

162 games a year, the Washington Nationals will have 210,000 over a 7 game week, 40,000 yesterday versus the San Francisco Giants at Nats Park.

The USA has very little to really be excited about when it comes to soccer at an international level, so it's mostly about: will the men's team reach the knockout stage. The women have won two World Cups, going for number 3 this evening, so a sellout of 50,000 v Japan, the holders, in Vancouver, that's a positive step for the women's game -- where the women's league is quite well attended here.

No one could ever diminish the value and impact of England 1966.No one in their right mind would say that a 3rd place in 2015 measures up to 1966. This is about the fact the Lionesses did great. I'd like to believe that if the US plays at England in a friendly later this year --not sure that is scheduled-- there will be 30-40,000 at Wembley or whatever venue. England's women deserve huge applause.

Nearly time for the final. Time to watch.

Woman's Football on 00:39 - Jul 6 with 847 viewsBarsidepete

USA 4, Japan 1 so far. I believe this could be done and dusted even before halftime

Woman's Football on 01:54 - Jul 6 with 834 viewsBarsidepete

USA.. WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!

Woman's Football on 06:11 - Jul 6 with 814 viewsnoah4x4

Woman's Football on 01:54 - Jul 6 by Barsidepete

USA.. WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!

Congratulations Pete; and a great summary of the place of gender in US sport.

You seem to concur with my primary point when you say "No one in their right mind would say that a 3rd place in 2015 measures up to 1966. This is about the fact the Lionesses did great".......EXACTLY!

What had me fuming (and why I provoked this debate) was some BBC female sports journalists that made statements like "England's SECOND most successful world cup team". Rubbish. they were England's BEST ever female team in a women's world cup, but its bollox to compare that with the men's game.
Woman's Football on 13:45 - Jul 6 with 796 viewsTheOldOakTree

Woman's Football on 20:20 - Jul 5 by noah4x4

Ah-Ha...I knew this deliberate provocation would eventually start a worthy debate. It's been a bit boring in here since the end of May.

Yes, good luck to all lady footballers; cricketers; darts or whatever. But I think this conversation about the role of gender in sport is completely different to any that apply in (say) the workplace.

For example; wherever men and women do exactly the same job, and/or perform equally; they MUST have equal pay and equal rights. But in some notable sporting situations; why can't there be an acceptance that men and women are NOT equal. Men's football will always be vastly superior; whilst the grace of women's synchronised swimming or rhythmic gymnastics will correspondingly never be matched by men. In a few areas there are inevitably exceptions; (example Equestrian; Archery; shooting and Table Tennis).

But why can't women simply accept that in some sports gender does matter and hence stop making stupid comparisons? It's ridiculous to compare the Women's World Cup of 2015 with that of the Mens World Cup in 1966 (or later). Hence when many high profile female sports reporters and news readers referred to this team as ".....the SECOND most successful England World Cup Team" wasn't that deliberately provocative towards men?

It's wholly true they are THE most successful England WOMAN'S team in any Woman's World Cup. No doubt about that - and well done to them. But let's have accurate sports reporting by female (and male) sports journalists. What next, comparisons when we fail at the next men's world cup. Incomparable!
[Post edited 5 Jul 2015 20:37]

"Men's football will always be vastly superior" ...are you Alf Garnet in disguise?

Why are you so sure? Men have been playing professional footy for about 150 years and we have the pantomime that is the premiership. No room for George Best's or Liam Brady’s anymore, it's all protein shakes and 5 hours a day in the gym to produce super fit athletes with minimal ball skills. The games not improving as a spectacle, the pitches are better, but not the play.

Women have been playing professional footy for what, 15 years and already it's excellent viewing and arguably better ball control, with the potential to be more exciting than the men’s game. I can't post a link (can someone?), but the BBC have the goals from the USA Japan final and USA's 1st, 3rd and 4th goals and Japans 1st goal are superb viewing. Yes the defending may have been dodgy, but people will pay to see it.

Why can't the lionesses be compared to the men's team in terms of sporting achievement? There are only 27 professional woman footballers in the UK and against all odds, they beat the hosts, should have beaten the reigning champions and beat a German side against whom they were given no chance. Fara Williams showed she had more bottle than numerous England men that have choked high pressure penalties over the years.

I'm sure when Women were first allowed to compete in athletics (not that many years ago in relative terms), there were plenty of men with their heads wedged tightly up their chauvinistic backsides saying oh bless them, they will never be as good as us men.

Using your logic, are you saying that Paula Radcliff, holder of the Woman’s Marathon World Record for 12 years should have stayed at home washing her old man’s pants, because her time was over ten minutes slower that the fastest man? Is her achievement less because she is not a man? Using that logic, Usain Bolt is crap at running because a cheetah can cover 200m in half his time.

As for Victoria Pendleton, Jessica Ennis-Hill, Sally Gunnell, Serena Williams, none of them competed with men, so their achievements can’t he compared to Steve Cram for example? Why not?

The facts are that the 2015 Lionesses are the second most successful English team in a football world cup. Just because you cannot handle it, it is still a fact!
Woman's Football on 14:46 - Jul 6 with 790 viewsburnsieespana

France in 2019 now that sounds interesting Pete because by then the game in England will have developed.
Overall I think it was a good competition which gave ladies football good exposure. Rather more exciting than mens U21's in my humble view.
Anybody know why Col U don't have a ladies team?
Woman's Football on 19:40 - Jul 6 with 763 viewsdurham_exile

Always look forward to the exchange of shirts at the end of the ladies game!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Woman's Football on 20:32 - Jul 6 with 753 viewsLeadbelly

Woman's Football on 14:46 - Jul 6 by burnsieespana

France in 2019 now that sounds interesting Pete because by then the game in England will have developed.
Overall I think it was a good competition which gave ladies football good exposure. Rather more exciting than mens U21's in my humble view.
Anybody know why Col U don't have a ladies team?

The ladies team folded in 2013. I assume it was a cost cutting exercise.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024