Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Attacking options 15:10 - Jul 24 with 1935 viewsLeadbelly

Mr Humes says in the EADT we are two players short up front. Agreed. Loan signings are the most likely option although permanent signings are not ruled out. We are watching players appearently.

Have we had any trialists playing up front so far? Has anyone heard a rumour of players we may be watching?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Attacking options on 15:22 - Jul 24 with 1927 viewsnoah4x4

Let say we play 4-3-3.

We have Porter leading the line; and he is now Captain.

I thought that Drey Wright and Gavin Massey were awesome on Tuesday against West Ham. If Drey keeps fit and avoids injury, then I don't reckon we will miss Murphy. Sembie Ferris looked good too.

I am all for competition for places; and we probably do need another wide man and striker (I reckon Bonne will be sold soon - and possibly Walker too). But if these three are fit I believe we can go places.
Attacking options on 18:00 - Jul 25 with 1858 viewsFruitbat

We may well lack options up front but I still think we're short of at least one defender. Last season we went in with three centre-halves and by September we'd run out. Thus far we've only replaced Magnus with Elokobi, who has played no part at all in pre-season. We've certanly got better full backs but I'm afraid that the back four still bothers me.
Attacking options on 19:06 - Jul 25 with 1852 viewsBarsidepete

This story gets old but remains valid. Maybe a quality striker doesn't want to come to Colchester because no midfielder is that good, to feed them the ball. So his stats will languish.

Or the U's have no clue how to identify a potential diamond in the rough.

I've coached at the youth level in the states. It's not rocket science to see who should be up front.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Attacking options on 20:05 - Jul 25 with 1828 viewsLeadbelly

Spoke to an Orient supporting friend yesterday who was very worried as they have lost 18 players and signed just 5 so, being at a loose end, I thought I'd go to the game to see the U's whip a depleted L2 side.

On the plus side the pitch looked great, the players looked fit and, from closer up than my normal seat at the back of S4, the squad looked to have a greater physical presence than last season.

I thought we started brightly with the ball moving forward quickly. Little threat but it was early days. As the half progressed Orient gained more possession and had joy down their right flank, Briggs failing to stop crosses into the box from which Orient had numerous uncontested headers. It was only a matter of time before they scored which they did eventually.

Typical U's start to a second half...goal conceded after two minutes from another free header. After that Orient had most of the play and scored a third goal after 70 odd minutes. Walker had just come on but it was some poor defending that led to the goal.

Based on this performance I don't see why we've signed Parish. Shaky. Starting back 4 was Brindley, Kent, Eastman and Briggs. Hopeless in the air but OK on the ground although Briggs,who never impressed me last season, looked poor. Roasted by Clohessey is not what you want to see.

Midfield battled but service to the front player or players, whatever formation we were playing, was very poor. Bonne in the middle was fed scraps and Porter fared no better.

Comments during the game and afterwards were mainly "what have they been doing all summer" "bad day at the office" and "remind me which side got relegated last season". My overriding thought was it looked alarmingly similar to most of last season.

Attacking options on 12:11 - Jul 26 with 1754 viewsBarsidepete

Attacking options on 20:05 - Jul 25 by Leadbelly

Spoke to an Orient supporting friend yesterday who was very worried as they have lost 18 players and signed just 5 so, being at a loose end, I thought I'd go to the game to see the U's whip a depleted L2 side.

On the plus side the pitch looked great, the players looked fit and, from closer up than my normal seat at the back of S4, the squad looked to have a greater physical presence than last season.

I thought we started brightly with the ball moving forward quickly. Little threat but it was early days. As the half progressed Orient gained more possession and had joy down their right flank, Briggs failing to stop crosses into the box from which Orient had numerous uncontested headers. It was only a matter of time before they scored which they did eventually.

Typical U's start to a second half...goal conceded after two minutes from another free header. After that Orient had most of the play and scored a third goal after 70 odd minutes. Walker had just come on but it was some poor defending that led to the goal.

Based on this performance I don't see why we've signed Parish. Shaky. Starting back 4 was Brindley, Kent, Eastman and Briggs. Hopeless in the air but OK on the ground although Briggs,who never impressed me last season, looked poor. Roasted by Clohessey is not what you want to see.

Midfield battled but service to the front player or players, whatever formation we were playing, was very poor. Bonne in the middle was fed scraps and Porter fared no better.

Comments during the game and afterwards were mainly "what have they been doing all summer" "bad day at the office" and "remind me which side got relegated last season". My overriding thought was it looked alarmingly similar to most of last season.

Expertly written, Lead. Thank you.

Attacking options on 16:44 - Jul 26 with 1721 viewsbwildered

Is big George the answer at the back ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Attacking options on 20:11 - Jul 26 with 1693 viewsLeadbelly

Attacking options on 16:44 - Jul 26 by bwildered

Is big George the answer at the back ?

May be more use at left back. Briggs just does not convince me. Clohessey and others were able to cross almost at will yesterday, though Kent and Eastman didn't deal with the ball when it arrived.

I'm sure Elokobi will improve things at the back but what worries me more is how will score goals. I've given up trying to work out what formation we are playing but yesterday, whilst we moved the ball forward quickly at the start, we just didn't look like scoring.

I thought we were pretty poor for most of last season. Wholesale changes have been made but yesterday's performance was so similar to much of what we saw last season I really do question whether Humes or the players have learned anything. I was certainly not one of those prepared to ignore the dross that was most of last season just because we avoided relegation and I've said weeks ago that I'll give the manager until the clocks go back to prove me wrong. I know it's just one pre-season game but I confess that I'm even more worried now.

Attacking options on 15:36 - Jul 27 with 1634 viewsdurham_exile

Attacking options on 20:11 - Jul 26 by Leadbelly

May be more use at left back. Briggs just does not convince me. Clohessey and others were able to cross almost at will yesterday, though Kent and Eastman didn't deal with the ball when it arrived.

I'm sure Elokobi will improve things at the back but what worries me more is how will score goals. I've given up trying to work out what formation we are playing but yesterday, whilst we moved the ball forward quickly at the start, we just didn't look like scoring.

I thought we were pretty poor for most of last season. Wholesale changes have been made but yesterday's performance was so similar to much of what we saw last season I really do question whether Humes or the players have learned anything. I was certainly not one of those prepared to ignore the dross that was most of last season just because we avoided relegation and I've said weeks ago that I'll give the manager until the clocks go back to prove me wrong. I know it's just one pre-season game but I confess that I'm even more worried now.

In much the same way that I ignore thumping friendly victories, the Orient game should not be given too much credence.

Apart from the requirement to capture another striker, we are ready for another League One campaign.

This season starts on Saturday 8 August.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Attacking options on 23:05 - Jul 28 with 1567 viewsdurham_exile

Attacking options on 15:36 - Jul 27 by durham_exile

In much the same way that I ignore thumping friendly victories, the Orient game should not be given too much credence.

Apart from the requirement to capture another striker, we are ready for another League One campaign.

This season starts on Saturday 8 August.

Up the U's

ITFC mean nothing to us - but always nice to beat them!!!!

Bring on the Tangerine Army!!!!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Attacking options on 10:38 - Jul 30 with 1493 viewsnoah4x4

Those that witnessed the Ipswich game saw a new U's....

But it started with the old.... same as ever awful officials...

1. Sears five yards offside in the build up to first Ipswich goal.
As often happens when we play 'big clubs' - poor linesman decision.
2. But we keep plugging away in what was an even game up to that point.
3. We deservedly get one back - a great strike by Gilbey.
4. Ipswich bring in McGoldrick who gives us many worries at the back (as a class player should). But we defend resolutely.
5. Referee awards a harsh penalty. Wynter had no chance of getting out of the way. McGoldrick doesn't miss gifts. The Ipswich gloat.
6. But the U's stayed composed; we kept digging away - Gilbey repeats his earlier strike. 2-2. Deserved.
7. The (packed) North Stand starts to empty with disappointment. Loyal supporters - pah; and they only live around the corner!
8. We dominate the last ten minutes; and look the fitter side despite have made fewer substitutions.
9. Repeated waves of pressure - we get last gasp (deserved) winner.

Our "kids" have now become men, notably Gilbey. Fearless Kane Vincent-Young now ain't so young. He might have been booked twice for kicking players twice his size. Dion Sembie Ferris and Jack Curtis looked good too. Welcome back Drey Wright too. It is at least five years since I felt this optimistic. I think 2015-16 season will be different for all the right reasons. Maybe not a play-off side yet; but we won't be relegation fodder.
Attacking options on 20:33 - Jul 30 with 1457 viewsdurham_exile

Attacking options on 10:38 - Jul 30 by noah4x4

Those that witnessed the Ipswich game saw a new U's....

But it started with the old.... same as ever awful officials...

1. Sears five yards offside in the build up to first Ipswich goal.
As often happens when we play 'big clubs' - poor linesman decision.
2. But we keep plugging away in what was an even game up to that point.
3. We deservedly get one back - a great strike by Gilbey.
4. Ipswich bring in McGoldrick who gives us many worries at the back (as a class player should). But we defend resolutely.
5. Referee awards a harsh penalty. Wynter had no chance of getting out of the way. McGoldrick doesn't miss gifts. The Ipswich gloat.
6. But the U's stayed composed; we kept digging away - Gilbey repeats his earlier strike. 2-2. Deserved.
7. The (packed) North Stand starts to empty with disappointment. Loyal supporters - pah; and they only live around the corner!
8. We dominate the last ten minutes; and look the fitter side despite have made fewer substitutions.
9. Repeated waves of pressure - we get last gasp (deserved) winner.

Our "kids" have now become men, notably Gilbey. Fearless Kane Vincent-Young now ain't so young. He might have been booked twice for kicking players twice his size. Dion Sembie Ferris and Jack Curtis looked good too. Welcome back Drey Wright too. It is at least five years since I felt this optimistic. I think 2015-16 season will be different for all the right reasons. Maybe not a play-off side yet; but we won't be relegation fodder.

Thanks for the update Noah and for the optimism!

Top six awaits.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Attacking options on 16:56 - Jul 31 with 1408 viewsbwildered

Humes , reveal that the U's will have another forward after next weekend .

Reasons are

Awaiting for loanee .
Stuck at Calais
Needs lift on Blackpool bus .
Got tickets for fourth test .

Or ?

Attacking options on 16:27 - Aug 1 with 1364 viewsdurham_exile

Attacking options on 16:56 - Jul 31 by bwildered

Humes , reveal that the U's will have another forward after next weekend .

Reasons are

Awaiting for loanee .
Stuck at Calais
Needs lift on Blackpool bus .
Got tickets for fourth test .

Or ?

Awaiting International clearance!

We wait out!

Not too many spare numbers left between 1 and 40!

2 perhaps -

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Attacking options on 13:07 - Aug 4 with 1258 viewsLeadbelly

How long after "next weekend" before we sign another forward? I suspect another loaned. Who have West Ham got?

Attacking options on 18:17 - Aug 4 with 1233 viewsbwildered

Looks like the Gareth Bale signing has gone pear shaped and he will not be arriving .

Elliott Hewitt has signed for Notts County

Chris Lewington is available has a loanee

Attacking options on 18:24 - Aug 4 with 1224 viewsBarsidepete

Gazette reports that the deal that was to be sealed yesterday has fallen through. The so-called "unnamed" player.

I'm going to buy a shirt with the name Unnamed and the number 0.

Attacking options on 15:16 - Aug 6 with 1163 viewsbwildered

Darren Ambrose signed by U's .

Attacking options on 15:50 - Aug 6 with 1152 viewsmfb_cufc

Attacking options on 15:16 - Aug 6 by bwildered

Darren Ambrose signed by U's .

Good signing. But another midfielder, when we need a striker.

mfb

Attacking options on 16:39 - Aug 6 with 1137 viewswessex_exile

Attacking options on 15:50 - Aug 6 by mfb_cufc

Good signing. But another midfielder, when we need a striker.

Not a bad signing at all, and as an attacking midfielder should have some goals in him.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Attacking options on 17:20 - Aug 6 with 1123 viewsLeadbelly

Described as an "experienced forward" on the official website. I've always thought of him as an attacking midfielder so will be interesting to see where he is deployed.

One year deal and gives us some much needed experience..

Attacking options on 17:27 - Aug 6 with 1117 viewsBarsidepete

Attacking options on 17:20 - Aug 6 by Leadbelly

Described as an "experienced forward" on the official website. I've always thought of him as an attacking midfielder so will be interesting to see where he is deployed.

One year deal and gives us some much needed experience..

Not exactly what you'd call a goal scorer phenomenon.

8 games, 3 started last term, 1 goal w/ITFC.

2013/14, at Brum, 1 game played (started, 51 minutes), no goals.

If this was the so-called attacking option Plan B, oh dear.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2015 17:28]

Attacking options on 17:57 - Apr 29 with 703 viewsbwildered

Just for you Leadbelly - I told you so !

Attacking options on 20:59 - Apr 29 with 663 viewsLeadbelly

Attacking options on 17:57 - Apr 29 by bwildered

Just for you Leadbelly - I told you so !

Thanks BW. Little pleasure in finding my preseason predictions were mainly right. Spectacularly wrong regarding Elokobi though!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024