Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Answers on a postcard 14:08 - Aug 25 with 1639 viewsLeadbelly

What are these?

4 0 1 3 4 7 1

4 0 2 2 3 8 2

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Answers on a postcard on 14:44 - Aug 25 with 1098 viewsjonestones

Numbers?
Answers on a postcard on 14:47 - Aug 25 with 1094 viewsLeadbelly

Answers on a postcard on 14:44 - Aug 25 by jonestones

Numbers?

Correct...I should have said "what do these numbers represent?"

Answers on a postcard on 14:47 - Aug 25 with 1094 viewsjonestones

Is it something to do with the amount of goals we have conceded? E.g 4, 0, 2, 2...
Answers on a postcard on 14:58 - Aug 25 with 1088 viewsLeadbelly

Warm

Answers on a postcard on 15:00 - Aug 25 with 1081 viewsjonestones

Give us a clue ? Are they sequences of numbers or are they full numbers? E.g. 4,022,382
Answers on a postcard on 15:01 - Aug 25 with 1079 viewsTheOldOakTree

I'm pretty sure the first one is my Mum's old co-op "divvy" number, but I'm not sure about the second one.
Answers on a postcard on 15:06 - Aug 25 with 1078 viewsTheOldOakTree

Are they Stepp's "reserve" bank account numbers?
Answers on a postcard on 15:08 - Aug 25 with 1076 viewsTheOldOakTree

Are they the only formations that could get us 3 points on Saturday?
Login to get fewer ads

Answers on a postcard on 15:17 - Aug 25 with 1070 viewsjonestones

Give us a clue ? Are they sequences of numbers or are they full numbers? E.g. 4,022,382
Answers on a postcard on 15:27 - Aug 25 with 1058 viewsTheOldOakTree

They are our stats after four games this year and last year.

i.e. played 4, won 0, drawn 2, lost 2....

Quite amazing similarities, and if the season continues to mimic last year, we only have one more game before Mr H admits he doesn't have a Scooby and does the honourable thing.

....did I say that out loud!!!!!!!!
[Post edited 25 Aug 2015 15:38]
Answers on a postcard on 15:46 - Aug 25 with 1042 viewsLeadbelly

Prize goes to TOOT.

I thought it was interesting to compare the figures. Those of a positive persuasion may suggest we are 100% better than last season. The more cynical amongst us, myself included, may ask what has changed in 12 months?

Joe Dunne left on 1 September 2014 after a draw in the opening match followed by 4 straight defeats. I don't think there is a cat in hell's chance that Humes will walk away or be sacked if we lose to Scunthorpe on Saturday but I'm sure there will be calls for him to do so if that happens. There was a brief chant of "Humes out" after the Oldham game so a home defeat will surely fuel whatever discontent is out there already.

Answers on a postcard on 18:48 - Aug 25 with 1012 viewswessex_exile

Answers on a postcard on 15:46 - Aug 25 by Leadbelly

Prize goes to TOOT.

I thought it was interesting to compare the figures. Those of a positive persuasion may suggest we are 100% better than last season. The more cynical amongst us, myself included, may ask what has changed in 12 months?

Joe Dunne left on 1 September 2014 after a draw in the opening match followed by 4 straight defeats. I don't think there is a cat in hell's chance that Humes will walk away or be sacked if we lose to Scunthorpe on Saturday but I'm sure there will be calls for him to do so if that happens. There was a brief chant of "Humes out" after the Oldham game so a home defeat will surely fuel whatever discontent is out there already.

Standing back a tad, with an objective view (never easy as a football supporter), it could be said that nothing has changed from this time last year - and in reality it was never going to. We're still a cash-strapped lower league side trying to compete on a meager playing budget, reliant on youth players and loanees to bolster the squad, and with a chairman still reluctant to bend the FFP rules to try and bankroll success (as well know others are doing). We're still trying to play the passing game that Joe was seeking to instill in the team, but still with a squad that's probably not wholly up to the challenge (at least not sufficiently consistently enough for now). More so, we've lost some very capable loanees at the end of last season, most notably Khumalo at the heart of defence, and of course Murphy as an attacking option. I would argue that TH's close season signings were generally seen as positive and encouraging on paper, and Edwards in particular is clearly a very good prospect, but we have also been beset by the sort of luck that a team in our position almost always seems to attract - Walker injured and out for the season, Porter injured (for however long?), and more worryingly the continued inability of Big George to get himself match-fit. You're right, there's no chance Tony Humes will leave (voluntarily or otherwise) if we lose to Scunthorpe on Saturday, and in truth - given the above - I don't think he should, but our form must improve if the chants for his head aren't to become a depressingly frequent addition to the match-day terrace chants.

How big was the postcard btw?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Answers on a postcard on 20:12 - Aug 25 with 997 viewsdurham_exile

Answers on a postcard on 18:48 - Aug 25 by wessex_exile

Standing back a tad, with an objective view (never easy as a football supporter), it could be said that nothing has changed from this time last year - and in reality it was never going to. We're still a cash-strapped lower league side trying to compete on a meager playing budget, reliant on youth players and loanees to bolster the squad, and with a chairman still reluctant to bend the FFP rules to try and bankroll success (as well know others are doing). We're still trying to play the passing game that Joe was seeking to instill in the team, but still with a squad that's probably not wholly up to the challenge (at least not sufficiently consistently enough for now). More so, we've lost some very capable loanees at the end of last season, most notably Khumalo at the heart of defence, and of course Murphy as an attacking option. I would argue that TH's close season signings were generally seen as positive and encouraging on paper, and Edwards in particular is clearly a very good prospect, but we have also been beset by the sort of luck that a team in our position almost always seems to attract - Walker injured and out for the season, Porter injured (for however long?), and more worryingly the continued inability of Big George to get himself match-fit. You're right, there's no chance Tony Humes will leave (voluntarily or otherwise) if we lose to Scunthorpe on Saturday, and in truth - given the above - I don't think he should, but our form must improve if the chants for his head aren't to become a depressingly frequent addition to the match-day terrace chants.

How big was the postcard btw?

Agree with all the above Wessex.

Despite my optimism the U's are struggling but it is once again the injuries that continues to concern me.

George not fit, Porter injured, Ambrose injured.

A 4-0 defeat to a mid table at best team!

We must sign a striker and quick. The silence is deafening regarding any update on striker watch.

Perhaps the Big Blue Live might elicit some information. Although at present we could best be compared to a beached whale!

3 points is critical on Saturday!!!!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Answers on a postcard on 20:43 - Aug 25 with 988 viewsLeadbelly

Postcard is getting bigger!

The chairman is doing the right thing. I'd rather watch a solvent Col U in League 2 than have the club break the rules and take financial risks in order to retain League 1 status. As a Leeds fan I know only too well what happens when a chairman gambles the farm and loses.

Doesn't really matter whether you believe TH was the right man for the job. He's what we've got. The injuries are a worry as is the lack of options up front. Let's just hope he can get better performances on a more regular basis or we're all in for a miserable season.

Answers on a postcard on 13:22 - Aug 26 with 944 viewsnoah4x4

Answers on a postcard on 20:43 - Aug 25 by Leadbelly

Postcard is getting bigger!

The chairman is doing the right thing. I'd rather watch a solvent Col U in League 2 than have the club break the rules and take financial risks in order to retain League 1 status. As a Leeds fan I know only too well what happens when a chairman gambles the farm and loses.

Doesn't really matter whether you believe TH was the right man for the job. He's what we've got. The injuries are a worry as is the lack of options up front. Let's just hope he can get better performances on a more regular basis or we're all in for a miserable season.

Have to agree Lead' about watching a solvent U's in Division Two. I personally feel that avoiding relegation has its sorry pitfalls...

Consider relegated Leyton Orient; are currently top of Division Two, 12 points from four, 4,900 crowd versus Stevenage; and a bumper crowd expected on Saturday versus Bristol Rovers; plus a home fixture list that includes largely South of England 'local' derbies versus Wycombe, Cambridge, Portsmouth, Northampton, Oxford, Wimbledon, Barnet, Luton, Crawley, Stevenage and Daggers.

Now by contrast consider the U's;

Already out of our financial depth; struggling with Financial Fair Play on trivial gates; hence bottom of the league; facing Scunthorpe at home; whilst Ipswich are also at home to Brighton (such clashes will destroy our gates as we inevitably share many casual local supporters!!!!!); then most other home fixtures are against Northern Clubs that will bring just a handful; whilst we must travel further than anybody else in the Football League.

But with a few exceptions (like Portsmouth) don't we have far more in common with Division Two teams than Division One (e.g. small town, modest population, too close to the principle London teams etc.).

Maybe it is time to split Division One and Two into 'Division One North' and 'Division One South' as that is where Financial Fair play is heading, with a north/south divide between current One and Two?
Answers on a postcard on 13:39 - Aug 26 with 930 viewsBarsidepete

Home form was not very inspiring 2014/15 so if that can be corrected even marginally, I'm not worried.

It is SO early days to worry. Enjoy the fact football is back ..
[Post edited 26 Aug 2015 13:39]

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Answers on a postcard on 13:58 - Aug 26 with 928 viewsRSCOSWORTH

You could argue that we had a tougher start last season too. If we don't beat Scunthorpe on Saturday we'll be starting to wonder where that first win is going to come from.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Answers on a postcard on 16:23 - Aug 26 with 908 viewsTheOldOakTree

Answers on a postcard on 13:22 - Aug 26 by noah4x4

Have to agree Lead' about watching a solvent U's in Division Two. I personally feel that avoiding relegation has its sorry pitfalls...

Consider relegated Leyton Orient; are currently top of Division Two, 12 points from four, 4,900 crowd versus Stevenage; and a bumper crowd expected on Saturday versus Bristol Rovers; plus a home fixture list that includes largely South of England 'local' derbies versus Wycombe, Cambridge, Portsmouth, Northampton, Oxford, Wimbledon, Barnet, Luton, Crawley, Stevenage and Daggers.

Already out of our financial depth; struggling with Financial Fair Play on trivial gates; hence bottom of the league; facing Scunthorpe at home; whilst Ipswich are also at home to Brighton (such clashes will destroy our gates as we inevitably share many casual local supporters!!!!!); then most other home fixtures are against Northern Clubs that will bring just a handful; whilst we must travel further than anybody else in the Football League.

But with a few exceptions (like Portsmouth) don't we have far more in common with Division Two teams than Division One (e.g. small town, modest population, too close to the principle London teams etc.).

Maybe it is time to split Division One and Two into 'Division One North' and 'Division One South' as that is where Financial Fair play is heading, with a north/south divide between current One and Two?

'Division One North' and 'Division One South' makes huge sense in many ways (as do many abandoned ideas of the past), especially for atmosphere/takings at home, but from a selfish point of view I hope it doesn't happen.

I've always enjoyed away trips oop north far more than heading for the M25. A weekend in the Peak District combined with some footy knocks getting your car/face keyed at Gillingham into a cocked hat.

Apart from atmosphere at White Hart Lane and memories at Yeovil, I cannot think of any ground down south that excites me.
Answers on a postcard on 16:48 - Aug 26 with 903 viewswessex_exile

Answers on a postcard on 16:23 - Aug 26 by TheOldOakTree

'Division One North' and 'Division One South' makes huge sense in many ways (as do many abandoned ideas of the past), especially for atmosphere/takings at home, but from a selfish point of view I hope it doesn't happen.

I've always enjoyed away trips oop north far more than heading for the M25. A weekend in the Peak District combined with some footy knocks getting your car/face keyed at Gillingham into a cocked hat.

Apart from atmosphere at White Hart Lane and memories at Yeovil, I cannot think of any ground down south that excites me.

Surely Griffin Park must be an honorable exception, and St Mary's is an exceptional stadium, should we ever have the chance to ever play there again. Otherwise, you're probably right.

Up the U's

Answers on a postcard on 17:18 - Aug 26 with 899 viewsTheOldOakTree

Answers on a postcard on 16:48 - Aug 26 by wessex_exile

Surely Griffin Park must be an honorable exception, and St Mary's is an exceptional stadium, should we ever have the chance to ever play there again. Otherwise, you're probably right.

Quite right I overlooked Brentford, a most enjoyable place, even if it does take you a week to get there by train.

For me St. Marys is tarnished by being pelted with bricks on the park and ride bus.
Although not as scary as trying to hide blue and white stripes under a coat whilst acting mute on the bus from Leeds station to Elland Road. I would have had no use for a seatbelt, my butt cheeks had a vice-like grip on the seat.

In fairness a weekend at Bournemouth isn't to bad either, although I've not been since they added a fourth side, and Fulham is quite cute.

So apart from Spurs, Yeovil, Brentford, Bournemouth, Fulham and St.Marys, what have the Romans ever done for us.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2015 17:35]
Answers on a postcard on 18:56 - Aug 26 with 874 viewswessex_exile

Answers on a postcard on 17:18 - Aug 26 by TheOldOakTree

Quite right I overlooked Brentford, a most enjoyable place, even if it does take you a week to get there by train.

For me St. Marys is tarnished by being pelted with bricks on the park and ride bus.
Although not as scary as trying to hide blue and white stripes under a coat whilst acting mute on the bus from Leeds station to Elland Road. I would have had no use for a seatbelt, my butt cheeks had a vice-like grip on the seat.

In fairness a weekend at Bournemouth isn't to bad either, although I've not been since they added a fourth side, and Fulham is quite cute.

So apart from Spurs, Yeovil, Brentford, Bournemouth, Fulham and St.Marys, what have the Romans ever done for us.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2015 17:35]

"Although not as scary as trying to hide blue and white stripes under a coat whilst acting mute on the bus from Leeds station to Elland Road", whilst desperately hoping none of the locals try and engage you in harmless chat? We've all been there - most of my walks back to the station from Ninian Park were of that nature, whilst mentally practicing my best "there's lovely boyo" accent, and hoping it doesn't sound too Indian.

Up the U's

Answers on a postcard on 23:24 - Aug 26 with 848 viewsLeadbelly

For obvious reasons trips to Elland Road have never bothered me but I must concede other Leeds fans have had me worried at away games a few times. The Springbok at QPR was taken over completely on one trip and the atmosphere leading up to the game was lively to say the least. Glad to say there was no trouble but that was a surprise.

And as for accents, i'm of the opinion you can or can't do them. The other half tries, bless her, but everything sounds an amalgam of Cardiff and Bradford Asian.

Answers on a postcard on 11:11 - Aug 27 with 803 viewsdurham_exile

Answers on a postcard on 16:23 - Aug 26 by TheOldOakTree

From a Colchester United Northern Exile perspective I am totally against any return to Division 3 North and South.

The Us must stay in League One, enough of this League Two all friends together crap.

Time for a long overdue win to get us up the table and away from oblivion and the boo boys!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Answers on a postcard on 11:14 - Aug 27 with 802 viewspwrightsknees

Answers on a postcard on 13:22 - Aug 26 by noah4x4

I read with interest that some of you think the U’s may be better off in League 2. But, to get there, means that we have to be relegated. And to do that means that we have to lose, or fail to win, lots of matches.

A few weeks ago, I spent several hundred pounds on a season ticket and parking permit. But that was so that I could go and, hopefully, cheer them on to win.

Am I wrong? Should I be supporting the opposition in the hope that we lose, and breathe a sigh of relief when we don’t win?

Poor, confused PWK.

Up (I think) The U’s
Answers on a postcard on 13:28 - Aug 27 with 793 viewsTheOldOakTree

Answers on a postcard on 11:14 - Aug 27 by pwrightsknees

I read with interest that some of you think the U’s may be better off in League 2. But, to get there, means that we have to be relegated. And to do that means that we have to lose, or fail to win, lots of matches.

A few weeks ago, I spent several hundred pounds on a season ticket and parking permit. But that was so that I could go and, hopefully, cheer them on to win.

Am I wrong? Should I be supporting the opposition in the hope that we lose, and breathe a sigh of relief when we don’t win?

Poor, confused PWK.

Up (I think) The U’s

Hear, hear the whole idea is to win and get better!!!!!!!! Have people forgotten what league 2 footy looks like. Why don't we play in a Sunday pub league, we should win every week then.

Parky and his merry band cost peanuts but they got us in the Championship. Mr Heard wouldn't even speak with agents, but we still managed to assemble a team of nobodies or players who had lost their way and they were all bonded together to play well.

If we want to play local teams our nearest rival is in the Championship and that is where we need to be heading. In reality if someone can get the best out of our current squad and use some tactical no-how, mid table safety and a good cup-run is more than achievable. TH should have 5 games to pull his finger out or we should find a Parky2.

League 2 is one step away from non-league and that's not a place we should be loitering.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024