Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Answers on a postcard 14:08 - Aug 25 with 1655 viewsLeadbelly

What are these?

4 0 1 3 4 7 1

4 0 2 2 3 8 2

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Answers on a postcard on 13:36 - Aug 27 with 510 viewswessex_exile

Answers on a postcard on 13:28 - Aug 27 by TheOldOakTree

Hear, hear the whole idea is to win and get better!!!!!!!! Have people forgotten what league 2 footy looks like. Why don't we play in a Sunday pub league, we should win every week then.

Parky and his merry band cost peanuts but they got us in the Championship. Mr Heard wouldn't even speak with agents, but we still managed to assemble a team of nobodies or players who had lost their way and they were all bonded together to play well.

If we want to play local teams our nearest rival is in the Championship and that is where we need to be heading. In reality if someone can get the best out of our current squad and use some tactical no-how, mid table safety and a good cup-run is more than achievable. TH should have 5 games to pull his finger out or we should find a Parky2.

League 2 is one step away from non-league and that's not a place we should be loitering.

Don't disagree at all with the aspirations, the Championship really should be the 5-year plan target - I think (or at least understood it to be for myself) that the point being made was better a solvent Colchester United in League 2, than a bankrupt one trying to get into the Championship - not an explicitly stated preference for being in League 2, just the lesser of two evils?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Answers on a postcard on 14:10 - Aug 27 with 503 viewsLeadbelly

Answers on a postcard on 13:36 - Aug 27 by wessex_exile

Don't disagree at all with the aspirations, the Championship really should be the 5-year plan target - I think (or at least understood it to be for myself) that the point being made was better a solvent Colchester United in League 2, than a bankrupt one trying to get into the Championship - not an explicitly stated preference for being in League 2, just the lesser of two evils?

Precisely. I'd rather see the club in League 2 with the finances in order than risk everything in an attempt to secure promotion to the Championship, possibly ending up in League 2 or worse as a result.

Whilst League 2 this season comprises far more teams in southern England than does League 1, making it easier for some Us fans to attend away games, the very nature of football means that every season 6 new teams join that division. There is no guarantee the southern bias would continue for long.

As for combining L1 & L2 and then dividing on a geographical basis, I'm against this. There would, under current rules, be 3 clubs joining from the Championship and 2 from the Conference. What happens if all 5 clubs are northern or southern in any particular years? Existing clubs moving from one section to the other or some unfortunate team being stuck in the "wrong" section? Imagine Braintree being promoted and then sent north because relegated Brighton, Charlton and Fulham and promoted Dover Athletic lie south of them. If it isn't broke ...

Answers on a postcard on 15:46 - Aug 27 with 492 viewsTheOldOakTree

Answers on a postcard on 13:36 - Aug 27 by wessex_exile

The only reason the "better a solvent Colchester United in League 2, than a bankrupt one trying to get into the Championship" question even arises is because (with the exception of Lambert) we have had a succession of uninspiring managers that have had us hovering above the drop zone for far too long.

Credit to Cowling, we now have everything in place for a stable future. The town and surrounding area is expanding rapidly with the potential for a bigger fan base, the recession is over, but the only thing that will attract more supporters is playing at the highest level achievable (within some financial restraints agreed) and some good cup runs. There will not be a better time than this. Talk of league 2 is potentially disastrous and ultimately could be no better than taking a financial risk.

There may be some nice fixtures in league 2 at the moment, but in a year or two it would be Halifax, Macclesfield, Wrexham, Rochdale, Exeter etc Who is going to move to the area and then bring their kids to watch that dross? It would mean gates of 1,900 and more people heading for Poorman Road. I don't see that " a solvent Colchester United in League 2" is achievable in the longterm, now that we have the overheads of WHCS. Mr C won't be around for ever as our guardian angel, so we should be building our fan base while we have the chance and league 1 must be the minimum standard.

League 2 with a below average manager could easily mean we would be playing Chelmsford and Braintree before we know it and the WHCS becomes uneconomical. The bargain basement was all very well when you could apply for re-election, but two teams are relegated out of the league each year and OK the Luton's of the world come back eventually, but how are we better than Stockport and look where they are.

We will never have the money to buy success, so it's all the more important to squeeze the most number of points out of what we have and that hasn't been happening. Ex favourite players or nice blokes as manager doesn't make good business sense.

Humes has been given a fantastic opportunity by Cowling and after one year it's time to step up to the challenge. Bumbling along until the inevitable happens is just daft, and so in my opinion, is any talk of league 2.

Where's the bulldog spirit? Monty didn't say #### me this North Africa is a big place for our little tanks, we should retreat to the Isle of Wight. Why should we retreat to league 2 without putting up a fight.

You can work wonders with good management. 3 points Saturday is a must, because there are no easy games in September.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2015 18:14]
Answers on a postcard on 18:04 - Aug 27 with 479 viewspwrightsknees

Answers on a postcard on 15:46 - Aug 27 by TheOldOakTree

The only reason the "better a solvent Colchester United in League 2, than a bankrupt one trying to get into the Championship" question even arises is because (with the exception of Lambert) we have had a succession of uninspiring managers that have had us hovering above the drop zone for far too long.

Credit to Cowling, we now have everything in place for a stable future. The town and surrounding area is expanding rapidly with the potential for a bigger fan base, the recession is over, but the only thing that will attract more supporters is playing at the highest level achievable (within some financial restraints agreed) and some good cup runs. There will not be a better time than this. Talk of league 2 is potentially disastrous and ultimately could be no better than taking a financial risk.

There may be some nice fixtures in league 2 at the moment, but in a year or two it would be Halifax, Macclesfield, Wrexham, Rochdale, Exeter etc Who is going to move to the area and then bring their kids to watch that dross? It would mean gates of 1,900 and more people heading for Poorman Road. I don't see that " a solvent Colchester United in League 2" is achievable in the longterm, now that we have the overheads of WHCS. Mr C won't be around for ever as our guardian angel, so we should be building our fan base while we have the chance and league 1 must be the minimum standard.

League 2 with a below average manager could easily mean we would be playing Chelmsford and Braintree before we know it and the WHCS becomes uneconomical. The bargain basement was all very well when you could apply for re-election, but two teams are relegated out of the league each year and OK the Luton's of the world come back eventually, but how are we better than Stockport and look where they are.

We will never have the money to buy success, so it's all the more important to squeeze the most number of points out of what we have and that hasn't been happening. Ex favourite players or nice blokes as manager doesn't make good business sense.

Humes has been given a fantastic opportunity by Cowling and after one year it's time to step up to the challenge. Bumbling along until the inevitable happens is just daft, and so in my opinion, is any talk of league 2.

Where's the bulldog spirit? Monty didn't say #### me this North Africa is a big place for our little tanks, we should retreat to the Isle of Wight. Why should we retreat to league 2 without putting up a fight.

You can work wonders with good management. 3 points Saturday is a must, because there are no easy games in September.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2015 18:14]

For those of you who advocate League 2 status for the U's, you'll only achieve your ambition if we lose enough matches. So, who will you cheer for on match days?

For me, it's not in my nature to go and watch the U's and hope for anything other than a win.
Answers on a postcard on 18:53 - Aug 27 with 463 viewswessex_exile

Answers on a postcard on 18:04 - Aug 27 by pwrightsknees

For those of you who advocate League 2 status for the U's, you'll only achieve your ambition if we lose enough matches. So, who will you cheer for on match days?

For me, it's not in my nature to go and watch the U's and hope for anything other than a win.

Honestly TOOT and PWK, no one is advocating League 2 status for the U's. The observation was only made in the context of one of two stated scenarios - a Col U made bankrupt trying to bankroll promotion to the Championship, or a financially solvent Col U succumbing to relegation to League 2. There are, of course, many other scenarios, and I doubt there is anyone here who wouldn't prefer Option #3 - a financially solvent Col U competing for and eventually achieving promotion to the Championship!

Up the U's

Answers on a postcard on 19:03 - Aug 27 with 457 viewsbwildered

Dear All

Think some locals are getting blasé with L1 , the frustration being that after several close calls we are not seeing improvement in team performances at a consistent level . The spine of the side has been ravaged with injury so early has not helped . It's now the longest tenature played at this level by the club, and dropping down a level does not guarantee success eg Tranmere , so let's not go there . Hopefully invaluable experience is being gained for the future.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Answers on a postcard on 19:24 - Aug 27 with 454 viewsTheOldOakTree

Answers on a postcard on 18:53 - Aug 27 by wessex_exile

Honestly TOOT and PWK, no one is advocating League 2 status for the U's. The observation was only made in the context of one of two stated scenarios - a Col U made bankrupt trying to bankroll promotion to the Championship, or a financially solvent Col U succumbing to relegation to League 2. There are, of course, many other scenarios, and I doubt there is anyone here who wouldn't prefer Option #3 - a financially solvent Col U competing for and eventually achieving promotion to the Championship!

I appreciate what is being said, but you miss my point in that I don't believe a solvent Col U in League 2 is achievable for any prolonged length of time. The running costs of WHCS must be far greater that dear old Layer Road and therefore we need League 1 or better football. Therefore I don't agree with the theoretical "better off solvent in League 2 scenario" as it's potentially a very financially dangerous place for us to go. When we moved to WHCS wasn't a figure of 6000 the break-even crowd? Obviously the sums have been adjusted, but how is that going to work if we get 1900 on a Tuesday evening? We need to get away from the relegation zone at all costs.

We might enter League 2 in a solvent state, but when ultimately gates drop we will be in a worse position than we are in now, there would be many clubs with bigger crowds who could afford better players, and we would be saddled with the running cost of a 10,000 seated stadium. Next thing we would have a rugby league team moving in to help with the bills. We would have as much chance of exiting League 2 at the wrong end as we would of ever getting promoted again.

Anyone who thinks we would be a big fish in League 2 is in my opinion deluded.

Sadly when you say no one is advocating League 2 status for the U's, I think that may not be completely true. At the end of last season there were staff at WHCS that had bought into the idea that a quick dip into League 2 wouldn't be that bad an idea. A quick dip could turn out to be 20 years or more.

Personally I believe all thoughts of League 2, be they hypothetical or otherwise, should be cleansed from our minds.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2015 19:36]
Answers on a postcard on 20:00 - Aug 27 with 447 viewswessex_exile

Answers on a postcard on 19:24 - Aug 27 by TheOldOakTree

I appreciate what is being said, but you miss my point in that I don't believe a solvent Col U in League 2 is achievable for any prolonged length of time. The running costs of WHCS must be far greater that dear old Layer Road and therefore we need League 1 or better football. Therefore I don't agree with the theoretical "better off solvent in League 2 scenario" as it's potentially a very financially dangerous place for us to go. When we moved to WHCS wasn't a figure of 6000 the break-even crowd? Obviously the sums have been adjusted, but how is that going to work if we get 1900 on a Tuesday evening? We need to get away from the relegation zone at all costs.

We might enter League 2 in a solvent state, but when ultimately gates drop we will be in a worse position than we are in now, there would be many clubs with bigger crowds who could afford better players, and we would be saddled with the running cost of a 10,000 seated stadium. Next thing we would have a rugby league team moving in to help with the bills. We would have as much chance of exiting League 2 at the wrong end as we would of ever getting promoted again.

Anyone who thinks we would be a big fish in League 2 is in my opinion deluded.

Sadly when you say no one is advocating League 2 status for the U's, I think that may not be completely true. At the end of last season there were staff at WHCS that had bought into the idea that a quick dip into League 2 wouldn't be that bad an idea. A quick dip could turn out to be 20 years or more.

Personally I believe all thoughts of League 2, be they hypothetical or otherwise, should be cleansed from our minds.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2015 19:36]

Then we agree entirely TOOT, and nothing more need be said :-)

All we need now is 3pts on Saturday to get the ball rolling - I'll be there with my youngest for our 2nd match this season, so fingers crossed!

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

Answers on a postcard on 21:40 - Aug 27 with 431 viewsTheOldOakTree

Answers on a postcard on 20:00 - Aug 27 by wessex_exile

Then we agree entirely TOOT, and nothing more need be said :-)

All we need now is 3pts on Saturday to get the ball rolling - I'll be there with my youngest for our 2nd match this season, so fingers crossed!

Can either of you play up front?

I will look out for you and hopefully say hello.
Answers on a postcard on 00:07 - Aug 28 with 418 viewsLeadbelly

Agree 100% Wessex. I don't want to see us in League 2, far from it, but if it came to a stable club able to compete in League 2 or a failed gamble that could take us down further I know what I'd choose.

And as for Humes stepping up to the plate...please do Tony.

Answers on a postcard on 15:25 - Aug 28 with 395 viewspwrightsknees

Well said, Wessex. I’m glad we cleared up that little misunderstanding. I absolutely agree that good, steady progress and improvement is needed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024