Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday 21:28 - Aug 28 with 1229 viewsdurham_exile

TH knows that his charges must secure maximum points this weekend against the Iron if they are not to become cut adrift at the foot of the table after only 5 games.

The miserable performance displayed at Fleetwood last weekend (unlike last season’s euphoria) will have been a salutary lesson to the U’s.

Injuries to key players have not helped but the abject 4-0 defeat so early in the season is a concern.

Scunthorpe will be licking their lips at the prospect of three points and so the U’s must be fully focussed on carving out their first win of the season. Especially with an enforced break next weekend because the Blades have four players on international duty. No one is mentioning that fact that we have one ourselves in young Bonne.

With Ambrose and Porter out and Walker unavailable for the season, these are three of our senior players.

TH however has wasted no time in drafting in two loanees — Owen Garvan; experienced midfielder from Crystal Palace and Callum Harriott an exciting prospect from Charlton. Both will be in the squad and I expect them to start in a 4, 3, 3 formation.

Team:

Parish

Brindley Eastman Elokobi Briggs

Gilbey Edwards Garvan

Moncur Harriott Massey

Subs:

Lewington Olufemi Kent Vincent-Young Szmodics Wright Bonne

No more talk of Division Two, the U’s start climbing the table tomorrow!

Enjoy the game

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 00:05 - Aug 29 with 1199 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Your starting XI seems to be strikerless...

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 00:36 - Aug 29 with 1196 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 00:05 - Aug 29 by RSCOSWORTH

I have nightmares about that being the manager's long term aim.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 08:51 - Aug 29 with 1178 viewsnoah4x4

Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 00:05 - Aug 29 by RSCOSWORTH

Durham, ...I am looking forward to something really innovative from Tony Humes today;

Everything happening at WHCS suggests to me that Moncur will be playing at a higher level at the end of the transfer window! So........;

I suspect that Moncur won't play as a wide front man in a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1; as that role will be filled by Harriott or Drey Wright (or possibly both - see next). My guess is that Moncur will play in your line up instead of Garvan in the middle three (who surely isn't fully match fit, but may make an appearance on 60 minutes).

I then have a sneaky suspicion that Massey may lead the line in a daring new tactic demanding that we keep the ball far more on the floor and use tangible pace. After all, Harriott has blistering pace (from what I briefly saw of him at Charlton) as has Drey Wright. The more direct route has not worked with the traditional centre forward Bonne (too much aerial, easily cut out by tall defenders). Today, I think we will be moving the ball forward at a pace not seen for a very long time, given the focus on a ponderous build up since the days of Joe Dunne. Something needs to change and Humes has nothing to lose, except his job.......
Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 08:57 - Aug 29 with 1175 viewsdurham_exile

RS - our problem is that we have an embarrassment of riches in the midfield department and precious few strikers.

There is talk of using Drey Wright as a lone striker and Callum Harriott also but in truth we have no genuine Number 9 at present.

Bonne could play today but strikers are few and far between.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U's

PS the formation is definitely 4, 3, 3 and not the Scottish 4, 6, 0

Durham_exile

Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 09:30 - Aug 29 with 1164 viewsTheOldOakTree

Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 08:57 - Aug 29 by durham_exile

RS - our problem is that we have an embarrassment of riches in the midfield department and precious few strikers.

There is talk of using Drey Wright as a lone striker and Callum Harriott also but in truth we have no genuine Number 9 at present.

Bonne could play today but strikers are few and far between.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U's

PS the formation is definitely 4, 3, 3 and not the Scottish 4, 6, 0

I would be the first to admit that the finer points of football tactics pass well above my head. I just pay my money, have a pint and cheer the U's on, job done.

....but as we now have a squad packed with people who can play on the wing, isn't 4,3,3 the wrong way to go about things?
Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 11:07 - Aug 29 with 1152 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 09:30 - Aug 29 by TheOldOakTree

I would be the first to admit that the finer points of football tactics pass well above my head. I just pay my money, have a pint and cheer the U's on, job done.

....but as we now have a squad packed with people who can play on the wing, isn't 4,3,3 the wrong way to go about things?

TOOT - we both hail from an era when 2, 3, 5 was the formation.
Genuine Wingers and positions that everyone understood.

Today there are so many tactical formations although TH often uses 4,3,3 or 4,5,1 which are not dissimilar when attacking 4,3,3 and when defending 4,5,1.

You will recall that when Jock Wallace managed the U's he played 5, 3, 2 and I wrote to him complaining that it was ultra defensive. The great man kindly replied to me and told me that whilst he indeed had 5 at the back, when they broke forward it was with 5 players.

Colchester's style of play today favours 4, 3, 3 given TH's penchant for wing play and the fact that we are well blessed with natural wingers.

Our problem is that we lack a natural Centre Forward and still haven't signed one.

Therefore 4 , 3 , 3 today against the Iron with our new signings pitched into the fray.

Enjoy the game and frankly I'm not too fussed about the formation providing we secure the three points.

Oh and regardless of the speculation we need to retain George Moncur's football services at the club.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 13:01 - Aug 29 with 1129 viewsTheOldOakTree

Agreed, 3 point however it comes is all that matters.

I would be happy with one up front if we had a Jamie Cureton, but when you have powder-puff forwards, all the more reason to have two!

What's the point of people loitering in midfield when you attack, if its going to be long diagonal balls or straight down the wing?

I know 4,4,2 is taboo (washing mouth out with soap and water as I type), but when you are at home, it would be nice to come out looking like you believe you can win. Instead of inviting pressure.

Any more of this and I will start to believe I know what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!

It's nearly time for a burger, a plastic glass of ice cold IPA, 3 points however it comes, and a nice mid table position by 5pm.
Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 14:53 - Aug 29 with 1107 viewsdurham_exile

Line up:

Parish

Vincent-Young Eastman Elokobi Briggs

Gilbey Edwards Harriott

Moncur Bonne Massey

Subs:

Lewington Wynter Kent Szmodics Garvan Wright Sembie-Ferris

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 16:07 - Aug 29 with 1096 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 14:53 - Aug 29 by durham_exile

Line up:

Parish

Vincent-Young Eastman Elokobi Briggs

Gilbey Edwards Harriott

Moncur Bonne Massey

Subs:

Lewington Wynter Kent Szmodics Garvan Wright Sembie-Ferris

Up the U's

Once again George Moncur shows his vital importance to theU's

Come on big 45 mins to come.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 17:24 - Aug 29 with 1088 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 16:07 - Aug 29 by durham_exile

Once again George Moncur shows his vital importance to theU's

Come on big 45 mins to come.

Up the U's

Big George 2-2

Still no victory but great determination to get back into the game.

We need Porter back and still need to sign another striker.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 18:49 - Aug 29 with 1065 viewsBarsidepete

Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 17:24 - Aug 29 by durham_exile

Big George 2-2

Still no victory but great determination to get back into the game.

We need Porter back and still need to sign another striker.

Up the U's

Three draws at home so far. Great rebound today to nick a point. But two away defeats and three draws?

At Chesterfield, maybe a draw
At the WHCS v Gills. definitely winnable.
Swindon? a loss.
Bradford a draw.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 20:56 - Aug 29 with 1038 viewsPaddyA140

Dismal start but a cracking last 60 minutes. Need to see their first goal on TV before i criticise but we were flatfooted for the second. Still, lots of positives and really no need for the 'Humes out' nonsense: Scunny never really looked like increasing their tally... Elokobi a better partner for Tom than Wynter... Harriott a great loanee on today's showing... and all despite a referee who seemed to find jumping a yellow card offence.

Brindley injured? If not, he's unlucky to miss out but Kane V-Y looks an able understudy.

Am tempted to head to Chesterfield to get my fix before the next home game.

Up the U's!
Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 21:01 - Aug 29 with 1033 viewsTheOldOakTree

Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 20:56 - Aug 29 by PaddyA140

Dismal start but a cracking last 60 minutes. Need to see their first goal on TV before i criticise but we were flatfooted for the second. Still, lots of positives and really no need for the 'Humes out' nonsense: Scunny never really looked like increasing their tally... Elokobi a better partner for Tom than Wynter... Harriott a great loanee on today's showing... and all despite a referee who seemed to find jumping a yellow card offence.

Brindley injured? If not, he's unlucky to miss out but Kane V-Y looks an able understudy.

Up the U's!

Brinkley hurt his knee earlier in the week apparently. Don't think it's serious.
Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 00:47 - Aug 30 with 990 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 20:56 - Aug 29 by PaddyA140

Up the U's!

I agreed as far as "dismal".

Elokobi aside, there were players who simply weren't putting in a shift. I keep hearing that Humes has lost the dressing room and I can well believe it.

After Fleetwood we heard that the players hadn't done the basics. Still a long way to go that front from what I saw.

I think we have talent in this squad but, try as I might, I can't envisage Humes as the best man to extract maximum value from it. He's going nowhere though so searching for positives from scratchy draws at home is what we have in store.

Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 10:48 - Aug 30 with 945 viewsnoah4x4

The first thirty minutes was a disaster; no confidence; much slower to the ball; no bite in tackles; just awful; no wonder we went 0-2 down.

But Elokobi played with Eastman; Brindley was injured; Sam Walker was injured, frankly, what else could Humes have done with this defensive line up? The Scunny goals came against the run of play and (IMHO) various U's players simply let him down on the day (first half). Let's also credit Van Veen for one of the best free kicks ever. Do we seriously expect Parish to save a curling strike that was so good that hit the inside of the side netting merely inches from the post, when the four man 'wall' was lined up to protect that side? It was a shot of Beckhamesque quality. We used to rave if Wordsworth did anything similar. I suggest that a few of the more critical fans stand in the middle of a goalmouth and see how wide it really is.

But Harriott from the outset did as I had predicted and was like a buzzing wasp in attack, but unfortunately with little constructive support until Garvan came on (46') to put his foot on the ball in midfield; and display a confidence that had been lacking and distribute simple short six yard passes to release other runners. Suddenly we had some structure in midfield rather than the headless (but talented) hard running chickens of the first half.

Hence, I didn't join the 'Humes Out' brigade, but if we are going to blame him for th first 20 minutes, then surely we must give him credit for what happened next? I thought what followed after was the best 70 minutes of football we had seen at WHCS for two years against a Scunny that had reformed into a defensive 4-5-1 to defend their two goal advantage. It was that sort of "hard to break down" challenge that attacking teams often face when the opposition drops to ten men, but here we still faced eleven.

Let's also credit Humes for some imaginative substitutions on 76';
The fans favourite Moncur had burnt out with running; we needed fresh legs; whilst Bonne had been ineffective for most of the game; so was replaced by Drey Wrigh; but unusually leading the line (just as I had predicted might happen). Also rotteweiler Szmodics was introduced to snap at Scunny ankles, whilst Massey and Harriott showed their pace and class. The crowd got behind the lads and it was as if we were not in deficit. Most around me thought we would win once having equalised!

Frankly, I too think we deserved a win, but from where we were after 18 minutes I will take a draw.

We now have a long break from league action; hopefully suffice to get Porter fit. On this display, I take away encouragement not concern. Garvan & Harriott; welcome. I think you are going to be inspired signings, and who cares if Owen once played for Ipswich! The Portman Road fans adored him (as they now do Sears).
[Post edited 30 Aug 2015 10:52]
Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 13:55 - Aug 30 with 917 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 10:48 - Aug 30 by noah4x4

The first thirty minutes was a disaster; no confidence; much slower to the ball; no bite in tackles; just awful; no wonder we went 0-2 down.

But Elokobi played with Eastman; Brindley was injured; Sam Walker was injured, frankly, what else could Humes have done with this defensive line up? The Scunny goals came against the run of play and (IMHO) various U's players simply let him down on the day (first half). Let's also credit Van Veen for one of the best free kicks ever. Do we seriously expect Parish to save a curling strike that was so good that hit the inside of the side netting merely inches from the post, when the four man 'wall' was lined up to protect that side? It was a shot of Beckhamesque quality. We used to rave if Wordsworth did anything similar. I suggest that a few of the more critical fans stand in the middle of a goalmouth and see how wide it really is.

But Harriott from the outset did as I had predicted and was like a buzzing wasp in attack, but unfortunately with little constructive support until Garvan came on (46') to put his foot on the ball in midfield; and display a confidence that had been lacking and distribute simple short six yard passes to release other runners. Suddenly we had some structure in midfield rather than the headless (but talented) hard running chickens of the first half.

Hence, I didn't join the 'Humes Out' brigade, but if we are going to blame him for th first 20 minutes, then surely we must give him credit for what happened next? I thought what followed after was the best 70 minutes of football we had seen at WHCS for two years against a Scunny that had reformed into a defensive 4-5-1 to defend their two goal advantage. It was that sort of "hard to break down" challenge that attacking teams often face when the opposition drops to ten men, but here we still faced eleven.

Let's also credit Humes for some imaginative substitutions on 76';
The fans favourite Moncur had burnt out with running; we needed fresh legs; whilst Bonne had been ineffective for most of the game; so was replaced by Drey Wrigh; but unusually leading the line (just as I had predicted might happen). Also rotteweiler Szmodics was introduced to snap at Scunny ankles, whilst Massey and Harriott showed their pace and class. The crowd got behind the lads and it was as if we were not in deficit. Most around me thought we would win once having equalised!

Frankly, I too think we deserved a win, but from where we were after 18 minutes I will take a draw.

We now have a long break from league action; hopefully suffice to get Porter fit. On this display, I take away encouragement not concern. Garvan & Harriott; welcome. I think you are going to be inspired signings, and who cares if Owen once played for Ipswich! The Portman Road fans adored him (as they now do Sears).
[Post edited 30 Aug 2015 10:52]

Van Been took the free kick well but it would have never been a goal had Parish done anything, and I mean anything, to get the wall in the right place. The guy behind me said before the ref blew the whistle that the ball was going top right as the wall was too central and Parish was stationed on the left side. It was a big target and that's where it went. And I sit at the back of S4,next to the steps between that and S3, so we have a pretty good view of such situations.

All credit to Humes for making changes that improved the performance after a dreadful start that saw two goals in 18 minutes. But then he should know what to do in those circumstances because it happens all too often. I'd give him a whole lot more credit if it didn't.

Garvan added some desperately needed composure when he came on but why was he the only one capable of playing a six yard pass to someone in the same coloured shirt. I'd have thought that was one of the basics with which we need to reacquaint ourselves.

I know you sit in a different part of the south stand. It must be the glass half full section because at no point did anyone in my area suggest they thought we would go on to win the game after the equaliser. The general feeling was FFS hang on to a point that a lot of people didn't think we deserved.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2015 13:57]

Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 23:39 - Aug 30 with 852 viewsmfb_cufc

I have a lot of time for Mark Robins as a manager, in fact I would be quite happy to have him as our manager. That was until I saw his Scunthorpe team yesterday. What is he trying to achieve by having a team full of giants. Epitomized by that donkey Darius Henderson, whose only intention appeared to be to get himself sent off. He was spared that by being substituted. The modern day game is all about pace and energy, and he gets neither with this team. Though they didn't need either in this game, after they found themselves two up, without having to do much at all. I found our first goal interesting. First of all it was a superb ball from Eastman that picked out Massey, when he usually gets criticized for playing such balls. Then would we have been better off getting the penalty, instead of the ref playing the advantage. Because we would have then played against 10 men for the last hour. As for the second goal, something that hasn't been mentioned is the quality delivery from the corner by Harriott. It is not before time we had somebody who can take a decent corner. In the end both managers would have been disappointed with the result. Robins for throwing away a two goal lead, and Humes for not beating another poor team.

mfb

Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 13:46 - Aug 31 with 808 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to be in their element against Fe on Saturday on 23:39 - Aug 30 by mfb_cufc

I have a lot of time for Mark Robins as a manager, in fact I would be quite happy to have him as our manager. That was until I saw his Scunthorpe team yesterday. What is he trying to achieve by having a team full of giants. Epitomized by that donkey Darius Henderson, whose only intention appeared to be to get himself sent off. He was spared that by being substituted. The modern day game is all about pace and energy, and he gets neither with this team. Though they didn't need either in this game, after they found themselves two up, without having to do much at all. I found our first goal interesting. First of all it was a superb ball from Eastman that picked out Massey, when he usually gets criticized for playing such balls. Then would we have been better off getting the penalty, instead of the ref playing the advantage. Because we would have then played against 10 men for the last hour. As for the second goal, something that hasn't been mentioned is the quality delivery from the corner by Harriott. It is not before time we had somebody who can take a decent corner. In the end both managers would have been disappointed with the result. Robins for throwing away a two goal lead, and Humes for not beating another poor team.

mfb - thank you for your informed comments about Mark Robins.

I always liked him as a player and always thought he was a good manager, but his time at Huddersfield reinforced his inadequacies and Scunny is probably his level.

In some ways probably just as well that we didn't have to face 10 men for the last quarter of the game. We tend not to play well against 10. mind you we don't often play well against 11!

Still lots of positives from the game. Can we secure that elusive striker in time for the Chesterfield game?

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024