Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sport in Essex 15:25 - Sep 2 with 926 viewsburnsieespana

Considering Essex is the only county with enough GDP to "stand alone" sport is in a deplorable state.
Essex County Cricket club is in a complete mess ( although the appointment of Ronnie Irani as Chair of the cricket committee might help) and Colchester, Southend and Dagenham & Redbridge are all struggling.
Is it because the good folk of Essex don't care, ie by not supporting in adequate numbers to provide the income to improve the clubs? Maybe it is complacency or more interested in other social/sporting events.
Be interested in views having been born and lived in Essex most of my life until coming to Spain 6 years ago.
Sport in Essex on 18:05 - Sep 2 with 907 viewsnoah4x4

Support for Essex CC is solid despite modest performances languishing in Division Two. That may be resolved by the change of coach announced today. For T20 the ECG is sold out. I hence think the true thrust of this debate should be about footie, not cricket. But I am a former Chartered Marketer (now retired) and can see some challenging issues.

The U's, Southend and Daggers each get crowds of around 5% of their LOCAL target catchment population once one deducts those groups that will never attend. What other weekly 'pay to enter' events get any higher ratio? Today, Saturday afternoon competition for customer time/money is immense and the recreational environment is incomparable with the soccer boom years of the 1950s and 60s. Example; last weekend the U's were competing with a free food & drink festival in Castle Park; live T20 cricket and rugby finals on TV; plus Ipswich Town also being at home. I know at least a dozen U's regulars still playing cricket until 1st September.

The same 5% ratio is true of clubs like Preston, Luton, Sheffield, Bradford, except they get far more numerically as their local populations are so much greater. The latter has ten times our catchment population so is it any surprise they average what they do?

For the U's to get say 8,000 we need to draw in people from Chelmsford; Braintree; and beyond. We won't do that whilst having a poor run of results in Division One with West Ham and Ipswich so close. If the U's got promoted, I predict a near full house most weeks (Layer Road sold out in the Championship).

I don't think this is anything to do with regional prosperity (austere northern cities get large numbers); it is a simple function of population catchment and its response to a clubs success.
Sport in Essex on 18:52 - Sep 2 with 896 viewsBFG

Interesting points.

I guess it depends where you class London as starting and ending, Essex compared to the other neighbouring London counties, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Bucks, Surrey & Kent, football wise there's little happening.
Sport in Essex on 20:16 - Sep 5 with 827 viewsbwildered

The club put a lot of effort in the community to gain profile and support . However the biggest pull would be Wembley appearance ( JPT ) or solid, comprehensive, winning performances at home . Unfortunately a team constantly languishing at the lower end of the table fighting relegation is not a exciting prospect for the casual supporter.
The club is in a superb location by the A12 for visablitily and facilities .
The media coverage for the Premier League is incessant and even the local side is dropping its prices to fill its new stadia next season ( wonder if there is a rush in the Tendering Peninsula from the ex pats who constantly tell and show me who they support ).
Since relocating to the WHCS , even the category A games have been a big disappointment to many who thereafter take tremendous convicing to return, which can only be achieved by results .
More people but more choice, wining is sexy, just need to sex up , anywhere even, Essex .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024