Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Heres hoping for a 7-0 on Saturday.... 13:38 - Nov 25 with 1594 viewsColukev

To Burton. If last night didnt register something in RC, then that should do the trick nicely.

We are going to lose anyway, so hell, we might aswell get smashed if it gets the job done.

Yes TH, you are right...i would be more than happy to see us fail more than normal on Saturday, especially if i never have to hear a post match interview from you again.

I expect a backlash from you guys...but ask yourself honestly, if a big defeat on saturtday would spell the end, wouldnt it be worth it.

Bigger picture n'all

Up the fans U's
Heres hoping for a 7-0 on Saturday.... on 14:13 - Nov 25 with 1583 viewsLeadbelly

I never want the team to lose (unless playing Leeds!) but if I thought Cowling would sack Humes after another poor result then so be it. The problem is I don't think he will.

Which begs the question...is Tony Humes the luckiest man in English football?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Heres hoping for a 7-0 on Saturday.... on 14:54 - Nov 25 with 1575 viewsnoah4x4

Tony Humes felt there were people who were “quite happy” for his Colchester United side to fail as they lost a fourth League One game in a row. ".....

Durham Exile adds in another thread...

"It is an absolute disgrace for TH to state that any true Colchester United supporter wants the team to fail. We pay good money to travel to watch the team home and away, many of the contributors on this board have supported the U's for over 50 or 60 years and it is an insult to suggest that they are not loyal to the team".

Sorry Durham, but at 2-2 there were a number of persons sat around me in the South Stand vocally imploring Crewe to score (and hence win) just to spite Humes and Cowling. My guess is that similar comments were said in the West Stand directly to the substitutes and coaching staff; (hence Hume's comment to the press). How can any fan wish for a defeat of any magnitude? That defys logic.

At 2-2 (which I personally thought Crewe deserved on merit; but we didn't deserve to lose) the "Humes Out" brigade started chanting and the team then went in to panic mode. Why can't people reserve their venom for the final whistle? How did that nonsence help the team's confidence and concentration to help secure at least a draw? Four consecutive league defeats is nothing unusual for many clubs! I also saw Brindley play for the U21's on Monday, so we do have some better defenders on their way back to fitness.

Humes played exactly the team/defence that 99% of us would have selected from those few (defenders) fit and able; and we got two goals ahead. He played the tactics that most of us would favour (attack). Three individual FORWARD errors then gave the ball to Crewe and they punished us. This was quite unlike at Millwall or Shrewsbury where we were simply clowns in defence after direct balls were thumped forward. Crewe undid us by playing a similar style of quality football to our own. Yes, we do need to improve the defence, but until we get to the next transfer window, how can Humes change personnel without dependence on youth or emergency loans (and we moan about both of those)?

Come to think about it; count the number of managers we have had since Layer Road. SIX in seven years! Why don't we give at least one time (hence THREE transfer windows) to resolve things. Humes has assembed the best attacking squad since moving to WHCS. Now he needs to focus on defence. I say keep the faith.

But what if Cowling did immediately bring in a new manager with NEW tactics? That has to mean improve the team's defensive qualities. Despite the attacking quality of this squad; a John Ward or Aidy Boothroyd would have packed the defence when at 2-0 and then been accused of negativity if/when Crewe got back to 2-2. We don't have the luxury of being Manchester United or West Ham fans that can moan about the "style of football" knowing they can always buy their way out of trouble at the next transfer window. So beware what you wish folks. I reckon there is another John Ward waiting in the wings......
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 14:59]
Heres hoping for a 7-0 on Saturday.... on 16:29 - Nov 25 with 1545 viewsBlueStripes

We'll probably get stuffed by 5 or 6 anyway so no need to be cheering on Burton too much! It's 4.30pm as I type this and still no word about Humes leaving (surprise surprise) so it looks like being business as usual on Saturday.

HUMES OUT!
Heres hoping for a 7-0 on Saturday.... on 16:46 - Nov 25 with 1539 viewsnoah4x4

A back four of Brindley; Kent; Eastmond; Briggs; with Garvan in for Lapslie (otherwise same as last night); then I think we can win at Burton. Shame KVY isnt fit (as Brindley might not be wholly match fit).

Burton grind out results winning by the odd goal in a cautious John Ward style. We have enough fire power to nick a lead. Then we just need our best back four combination and a harder working midfield ( e.g get ahead and bring on Lapslie for Moncur and park the bus).
Heres hoping for a 7-0 on Saturday.... on 16:54 - Nov 25 with 1531 viewsColukev

Heres hoping for a 7-0 on Saturday.... on 16:46 - Nov 25 by noah4x4

A back four of Brindley; Kent; Eastmond; Briggs; with Garvan in for Lapslie (otherwise same as last night); then I think we can win at Burton. Shame KVY isnt fit (as Brindley might not be wholly match fit).

Burton grind out results winning by the odd goal in a cautious John Ward style. We have enough fire power to nick a lead. Then we just need our best back four combination and a harder working midfield ( e.g get ahead and bring on Lapslie for Moncur and park the bus).

Nick a goal and park the bus?? Isnt that where it all went wrong last night?

Even with our 'best' back 4, we get a goal...take moncur/Sordell off for Lapslie, Porter and park the bus, if/when we concede, our best hope is for a point.

Current circumstances pointing towards panic mode and going on to lose. Our squad is good enough to get a goal, and build, and build, and build.

Its the parking the bus thats put us in this predicament.
Heres hoping for a 7-0 on Saturday.... (n/t) on 17:07 - Nov 25 with 1526 viewsgerry_us

With my weird sense of logic are the powers that be actually planning for us to b relegated to the 2nd division SOUTH?
The current 1st Div. is heavily weighed in favour of Northern clubs and whilst that is good for us exiles north of Watford travel expenses will be an expensive part of operations. It couldn't be the master plan surely but with "you know Humes" is charge it could be a reality before Xmas.
Just a thought.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 17:14]
Heres hoping for a 7-0 on Saturday.... (n/t) on 17:13 - Nov 25 with 1522 viewsBarsidepete

Heres hoping for a 7-0 on Saturday.... (n/t) on 17:07 - Nov 25 by gerry_us

With my weird sense of logic are the powers that be actually planning for us to b relegated to the 2nd division SOUTH?
The current 1st Div. is heavily weighed in favour of Northern clubs and whilst that is good for us exiles north of Watford travel expenses will be an expensive part of operations. It couldn't be the master plan surely but with "you know Humes" is charge it could be a reality before Xmas.
Just a thought.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 17:14]

best post ever, G.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Heres hoping for a 7-0 on Saturday.... on 17:34 - Nov 25 with 1513 viewsnoah4x4

Heres hoping for a 7-0 on Saturday.... on 16:54 - Nov 25 by Colukev

Nick a goal and park the bus?? Isnt that where it all went wrong last night?

Even with our 'best' back 4, we get a goal...take moncur/Sordell off for Lapslie, Porter and park the bus, if/when we concede, our best hope is for a point.

Current circumstances pointing towards panic mode and going on to lose. Our squad is good enough to get a goal, and build, and build, and build.

Its the parking the bus thats put us in this predicament.

I don't follow? Why is everybody moaning that Humes didnt change tactics if "parking the bus" was the reason why we lost?

He substituted attacker for attacker and I felt we simply continued on an attacking front foot even at 2-2 and in added time. We lost the ball three times deep in our opponents half whilst over committed. If we had a quick reliable defender on the bench (not Elokobi!) I would have brought him on for Moncur or Harriot at 2-1 to choke the midfield and hence marking the danger man lowe 2 on 1. That is 'parking the bus.

But fans would then say too Negative. Beware what we wish for. A John Ward????? At 2-0 a Ward team would have won or at least drawn.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 17:44]
Login to get fewer ads

Heres hoping for a 7-0 on Saturday.... on 07:18 - Nov 26 with 1437 viewsSector4

Heres hoping for a 7-0 on Saturday.... on 17:34 - Nov 25 by noah4x4

I don't follow? Why is everybody moaning that Humes didnt change tactics if "parking the bus" was the reason why we lost?

He substituted attacker for attacker and I felt we simply continued on an attacking front foot even at 2-2 and in added time. We lost the ball three times deep in our opponents half whilst over committed. If we had a quick reliable defender on the bench (not Elokobi!) I would have brought him on for Moncur or Harriot at 2-1 to choke the midfield and hence marking the danger man lowe 2 on 1. That is 'parking the bus.

But fans would then say too Negative. Beware what we wish for. A John Ward????? At 2-0 a Ward team would have won or at least drawn.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 17:44]

It doesn't have to be a choice between Humes or a Ward clone. O'Driscoll, Gray, Powell, Rounds, Cooper, ince all better options imo and currently without a club
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024