Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! 19:03 - Jan 27 with 1403 viewsdurham_exile

This weekend witnesses the biggest game for the U’s in a decade with Tottenham Hotspur our illustrious visitors to the WHCS for an intriguing Fourth Round FA Cup tie in front of a 10,000 full house.

With BT Sport televising the game and Big Sam (he’s 7 feet tall) offering his valuable comments together with Glen Hoddle and Robbie Savage, it is difficult to envisage a better atmosphere or occasion since the U’s moved to their new stadium in 2008.

Now the FA Cup offers a welcome respite from the misery of league one for KK and his Super U’s. Mid-week results conspired to send the U’s bottom (albeit temporarily) but the only way is up.

KK will never get an easier match in order to motivate his squad; easy in the sense that the match itself should be sufficient motivation without the need for words. The problem of course is that everyone wants to play in the big game and there will be disappointment.

KK has kept faith with his players so far and I envisage only two changes to face the Spurs first teamers and their fringe players.

KK will stick with his trusty 4,4,2 and I expect a line up as follows:

Kean

Brindley Wynter Eastman Shorey

Garvan Gilbey Moncur Massey

Porter Sordell

Subs:
Parish Elokobi Vincent-Young Briggs Edwards Lee Wright

The inclusion of Shorey might be controversial, but we signed him for this sort of game and he will give the defence some added experience and open up the possibility of a spectacular free kick. This is also the match where Sordell has to replicate some of his higher league experience and to translate opportunities into goals. Chris Porter is also due a goal or two! Surely George Moncur will relish this high profile exposure as well. I would also expect to see Lee and Wright appear second half.

By contrast Mauricio Pochettino, who has fashioned a strong Tottenham team, will be determined not to lose this game and so will field a similar team to that which defeated Leicester in the recent replay.

We may not see either Harry Kane or Dele Alli in their starting line-up but there is the possibility of both receiving an outing from the bench.

Pochettino may opt for a 4,2,3,1 formation thus:

Vorm

Walker Alderweireld Wimmer Davies

Dembele Bentaleb

Lamela Eriksen Onomah

Son Heung Min

Subs:
Lloris Trippier Winks Rose Kane Alli Chadli

Spurs are having an outstanding season; still involved in the Europa League, fourth in the Premier League and still battling in the FA Cup. Only three league defeats (what would we give for such a record!) means that Pochettino has them playing superbly and in Kane and Alli they have two of the best up and coming England stars for Euro 16.

KK will know that we must show them respect but definitely not fear. Too many lower league team fail in these contests because they are intimidated by their opponents and stand-off them rather than getting in their faces from the outset.

We also have players with guile and pace and should not be afraid to express ourselves. This is just the sort of match where the U’s can forget for 90 minutes about the 18 cup finals to come and instead play out of their skins on a decent WHCS surface to achieve what might be a brilliant outcome against one of the best teams in the country. Securing a replay at White Hart Lane is not beyond the Super U’s providing we play at our best and Spurs perhaps underestimate us a little (just a little).

The Spurs game will enable a capacity crowd to see the U’s at their best and together with the TV Cameras (we normally do well in televised games) will maximise the team’s exposure.

It will be a special day and one for the faithful to savour.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 19:10 - Jan 27 with 1395 viewsbwildered

Is that the old pull edition Daniel .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 20:41 - Jan 27 with 1369 viewsnoah4x4

Garvan and Massey wide in a 4-4-2?
Porter and Sordell up front?... And Moncur in team?
Not a chance of these combinations Durham.
I think it will be 4-3-2-1 Xmas Tree.

Moncur has now repeatedly demonstrated that he can only play in the hole behind a solo striker. That then forces Sordell wide (wasted). Garvan won't ever play wide. IMHO either Sordell or Moncur must be on the bench if 4-4-2 so we can play a proper winger (like Drey Wright). But Shorey at LB with Briggs ahead might be worth a punt (Massey right wing).

Frankly I would play 4-3-2-1 as follows;
Keen (but Parrish deserves a start)
Brindley; Eastman; Wynter; Shorey
Gilbey; Garvan; Edwards
Moncur Briggs
Bonne

Pace up front..... Set up to defend....counter attack....And play the ball on the deck!
Then we MIGHT not concede a cricket score and sneak a replay or 1-0 win. Let Spurs entertain; we dig in and not concede. A clean sheet for once in a no score bore draw would swell our coffers to get new players.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2016 21:25]
U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 09:35 - Jan 28 with 1300 viewsnoah4x4

Andy (Landlord) has communicated to me that the Victoria Inn is opening early on Saturday (11.00 am) for Responsible Real Ale Drinking U's Fans. Such news is posted here as I reckon THE most responsible are us!

Back to the Vic after the game.... then later; Colchester Beer Festival (Arts Centre) has live music from Psycho Dehlia in the evening.

Who cares about the footie result!
U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 11:16 - Jan 28 with 1288 viewsTheOldOakTree

U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 09:35 - Jan 28 by noah4x4

Andy (Landlord) has communicated to me that the Victoria Inn is opening early on Saturday (11.00 am) for Responsible Real Ale Drinking U's Fans. Such news is posted here as I reckon THE most responsible are us!

Back to the Vic after the game.... then later; Colchester Beer Festival (Arts Centre) has live music from Psycho Dehlia in the evening.

Who cares about the footie result!

Make sure you're sober enough to make your way to the WHCS on Monday, to get your tickets for the replay!
U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 14:09 - Jan 28 with 1255 viewsdurham_exile

U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 11:16 - Jan 28 by TheOldOakTree

Make sure you're sober enough to make your way to the WHCS on Monday, to get your tickets for the replay!

That's the spirit TOOT, I was thinking that everyone had joined Dad's Army "Pte Fraser we're all doomed".

I genuinely believe that we can secure a draw perhaps 2-2.

Up the U's

PS Since penning my preview Michael Oliver has been appointed to ref the match.

Durham_exile

U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 20:45 - Jan 28 with 1210 viewsgerry_us

U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 14:09 - Jan 28 by durham_exile

That's the spirit TOOT, I was thinking that everyone had joined Dad's Army "Pte Fraser we're all doomed".

I genuinely believe that we can secure a draw perhaps 2-2.

Up the U's

PS Since penning my preview Michael Oliver has been appointed to ref the match.

Good. One of the best referees around at the present but even the good 'uns make mistakes ie Man City goal last night. Hope we get a few decisions like that Saturday
U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 10:45 - Jan 29 with 1180 viewsdurham_exile

U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 20:45 - Jan 28 by gerry_us

Good. One of the best referees around at the present but even the good 'uns make mistakes ie Man City goal last night. Hope we get a few decisions like that Saturday

Gerry hopefully we will get the rub of the green on Saturday.

More than ever I hope that we secure a draw just to stick it to idiots like Merson and Lawrenson who not only have written us off but also have been incredibly disrespectful.

At the end of the day it is a one off game XI v XI and anything can happen. Notwithstanding our wretched league form this is the magic of the FA Cup.

KK and the boys can make us proud on Saturday.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 18:57 - Jan 29 with 1120 viewsgerry_us

Nearly there now and I for one hope that our Chairman Robbie Cowling enjoys the day. Like him or hate him it cannot be denied that he continues to have the club's interests at heart and bankroll the club. He thoroughly deserves his and the club's day in the spotlight. Long may he continue in his role.
Login to get fewer ads

U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 21:58 - Jan 29 with 1094 viewsdurham_exile

U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 18:57 - Jan 29 by gerry_us

Nearly there now and I for one hope that our Chairman Robbie Cowling enjoys the day. Like him or hate him it cannot be denied that he continues to have the club's interests at heart and bankroll the club. He thoroughly deserves his and the club's day in the spotlight. Long may he continue in his role.

Gerry I have a really good feeling about the match tomorrow, it should be a cracker.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 12:27 - Jan 30 with 1045 viewsgerry_us

Harry Kane starts. Good to see that Spurs are taking us seriously.
U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 12:41 - Jan 30 with 1038 viewsmrhappy

Enjoy the day boys !!!!

MR HAPPY SAYS BE HAPPY - LIFE IS SHORT - MAKE IT COUNT ! GOD BLESS YOU !
Poll: Derby County - how the mighty have fallen - Rooney the Gooney

U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 13:01 - Jan 30 with 1034 viewsgerry_us

OUCH!
U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 13:47 - Jan 30 with 1015 viewsgerry_us

U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 13:01 - Jan 30 by gerry_us

OUCH!

BRAVO!
U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 14:14 - Jan 30 with 1008 viewsgerry_us

U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 13:47 - Jan 30 by gerry_us

BRAVO!

UNLUCKY
U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 14:44 - Jan 30 with 987 viewsgerry_us

NOT EMBARRASSED
U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 15:11 - Jan 30 with 977 viewsgerry_us

U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 14:44 - Jan 30 by gerry_us

NOT EMBARRASSED

Man of few words.
U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 23:33 - Jan 30 with 866 viewsLeadbelly

No disgrace today, especially after losing Wynter and then Eastman so early in the game. Proverbial gulf in class was obvious to see in the passing and movement but it was good to see real application and effort from the Us.

One gripe...getting away from the ground was chaotic as someone, dentity unknown, decided to close Boxted Rd. Ended up walking back to the pub rather than wait for the mess to clear.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 00:35 - Jan 31 with 855 viewspwrightsknees

Agreed LB. The U's acquitted themselves well. The early loss of two key players not only weakened us, but having to have two enforced substitutions so early on limited tactical substitutions later. Gavin Massey earned our MOM award, but a word of praise for Frankie Kent who really stepped up to the mark.
U's up for the Cup against Spurs at WHCS this weekend! on 09:54 - Jan 31 with 804 viewsnoah4x4

It was walking Spurs fans that closed Boxted Road LB. They insisted on walking its entire length down the middle of the road when they saw the initial shuttle bus queues. That stopped all of the shuttle buses. The exit from the U's car park was as painful as normal (as it is always full). Later, the town and pubs were chocka with Spurs fans.

It was also evident that some town bus drivers had become intolerant of footie fans. Possibly justified if they had been verbally abused by the hoardes, but there is no excuse to be rude to polite elderly fans returning home late at night. In the unlikely event that we regularly fill the stadium every aspect of public transport needs review.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2016 9:56]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024