Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
GERRY_US is NFL PL Super Bowl Champion 2016! 14:46 - Feb 8 with 938 viewsBarsidepete

There ya go, GERRY wins the playoffs. First champion even with less than 50% but got the big points over 4 weeks.

Won by luminaries over a decade, such as MFB_CUFC, THRILLSEEKER, OLIBROOM , me

Well done , GERRY_US ... Super Bowl Champion 2016!

MFB_CUFC is the 2015/16 NFL PL champ and GERRY_US is the Superb Owl champ.

THE SUPERB OWL FINAL TABLE: (tie-breaker: points, pick percentage, then first to post) -- Sun 7 Feb

GERRY_US ............. (4-3) ... (12) .......... (8-9) ... (19 pts)
durham_exile ......... (3-4) ... (7) ............ (9-7) ... (18)
RSCOSWORTH ....... (2-5) ... (4) ........... (10-7) ... (17)
Leadbelly ............... (3-4) ... (6) ............ (9-8) ... (16)
thrillseeker ............. (2-5) ... (4) ............ (9-8) ... (15)
Barsidepete ........... (4-3) ... (9) ........... (7-10) ... (14)
mfb_cufc ............... (3-4) ... (6) ............. (8-9) ... (13)

Many more updates to follow on this thread... Goes to show how incredibly difficult it is to out-think the betting sites/Vegas lines/whatnot.

When you bet on the NFL you tread carefully and pick your poison. Only Gerry and I got the winner, point spread and over-under... Durham with the winner, points spread and most rushing yards (Panthers) ... Mfb correctly predicted the over-under, passing yards, and rushing yards.

If you discount the 5-pointer, 3-3 was not a bad weekend as only one PLer was nicking that final 5 points.

Thank you all for participating. MFB and I look forward to creating season 11 (est. 2006) ... first games in September.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2016 17:25]

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

GERRY_US is NFL PL Super Bowl Champion 2016! on 15:21 - Feb 8 with 927 viewsLeadbelly

Well done MFB and Gerry. Pity the game itself was a little dull.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

GERRY_US is NFL PL Super Bowl Champion 2016! on 15:37 - Feb 8 with 925 viewsBarsidepete

Cheers for the accolades, plaudits to Gerry and MFB, Leadbelly.

Plenty of wrap-up posts to follow.

GERRY wins his second NFL Super Bowl trophy in a decade, and MFB collects another PL title -- regular season ...

RSCOSWORTH with a spectacular season. DURHAM finishes 2nd in the Superb Owl.

As I said, more updates coming.

Well done, GERRY and MFB!
[Post edited 10 Feb 2016 0:47]

GERRY_US is NFL PL Super Bowl Champion 2016! on 15:58 - Feb 8 with 915 viewsdurham_exile

Congratulations Gerry and MFB

Up the U's

Durham_exile

GERRY_US is NFL PL Super Bowl Champion 2016! on 22:54 - Feb 8 with 890 viewsBarsidepete

GERRY_US is NFL PL Super Bowl Champion 2016! on 15:58 - Feb 8 by durham_exile

Congratulations Gerry and MFB

Up the U's

This was a rabbit out of a hat, Durham.

Only if you picked the winner could you qualify for the 5-pointer. If I had posted a better score than Gerry I would have won my second Superb Owl title. You won't like what the final table looks like, Durham. Gerry on 20 points and you with 19.

The 5-pointers:
GERRY -- DENVER 22 Carolina 16 -- Gerry with the best point differential: 8 pts
BARSIDE -- DENVER 24 Carolina 21 -- Me with 11
DURHAM -- DENVER 28 Carolina 21 -- Durham, 15 pts.

Updates, including the final S.B. PL table yet to come.

But here is an interesting tidbit. 10 of the last 12 top defenses to make it to the Super Bowl -- let me repeat that, 10 of the past 12 no.1 ranked Defenses to be in the S.B. -- have Won the championship.

Great offenses can be ugly fool's gold.

Peyton Manning should just retire this minute. As champ. Peyton was asked one minute ago on ESPN how much sleep he has gotten? He said, "About 45 minutes."

Such a class act. While Carolina's QB Cam Newton acted like a petulant two-year-old in the post-game interviews. One or two word answers. Then he walked off.

Peyton, first ballot Hall of Famer in Canton, Ohio when the votes are tallied. An all-around nice guy.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2016 23:11]

GERRY_US is NFL PL Super Bowl Champion 2016! on 00:49 - Feb 9 with 857 viewsBarsidepete

MFB_CUFC is the 2015/16 NFL PL champ and GERRY_US is the Superb Owl champ.

THE SUPERB OWL FINAL TABLE: (tie-breaker: points, pick percentage, then first to post) -- Sun 7 Feb

GERRY_US ............. (4-3) ... (12) .......... (8-9) ... (19 pts)
durham_exile ......... (3-4) ... (7) ............ (9-7) ... (18)
RSCOSWORTH ....... (2-5) ... (4) ........... (10-7) ... (17)
Leadbelly ............... (3-4) ... (6) ............ (9-8) ... (16)
thrillseeker ............. (2-5) ... (4) ............ (9-8) ... (15)
Barsidepete ........... (4-3) ... (9) ........... (7-10) ... (14)
mfb_cufc ............... (3-4) ... (6) ............. (8-9) ... (13)

**Goes to show how incredibly difficult it is to out-think the betting sites/Vegas lines/whatnot.

When you bet on the NFL you tread carefully and pick your poison. Only Gerry and I got the winner, point spread and over-under.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2016 17:26]

GERRY_US is NFL PL Super Bowl Champion 2016! on 10:06 - Feb 9 with 836 viewsgerry_us

Wow. Even though I say it myself that was some recovery from being near the bottom of the league. Maybe that it just what the U's need
GERRY_US is NFL PL Super Bowl Champion 2016! on 22:59 - Feb 9 with 805 viewsgerry_us

Still glowing with success.
Your comment "GERRY wins his first trophy in a decade" is puzzling me. I am sitting here looking at a rather fine XLIV Champion "baseball" hat you kindly sent me in 2010? Was that just a loving gesture or did I actually win it....seriously I cant remember.
GERRY_US is NFL PL Super Bowl Champion 2016! on 00:21 - Feb 10 with 799 viewsmfb_cufc

Thank you everybody for the kind comments, and thank you Pete for your time and effort, in making the NFL PL a success once again. Also well done Gerry, and to everybody for not missing a week during the season.

mfb

Login to get fewer ads

GERRY_US is NFL PL Super Bowl Champion 2016! on 01:25 - Feb 10 with 793 viewsBarsidepete

GERRY_US is NFL PL Super Bowl Champion 2016! on 22:59 - Feb 9 by gerry_us

Still glowing with success.
Your comment "GERRY wins his first trophy in a decade" is puzzling me. I am sitting here looking at a rather fine XLIV Champion "baseball" hat you kindly sent me in 2010? Was that just a loving gesture or did I actually win it....seriously I cant remember.

Doh! ... Edited that line.

Absolutely, Gerry! If memory serves, that would make you the first ever to win two Super Bowls.

I don't keep "hard records" of all past Super Bowl PL Champions -- or regular season champions. I know intuitively. Stretters won once, as did Sarboy... Didn't Thrillo win one?

The NFL prediction league was founded in 2006 --on the OMB, turns out, but ultimately became an annual fixture on The U'sual instead. I don't think we had a playoffs back in the day. So while it's been 10 years of the PL, accounting for the fact I did take a year off due to burnout in 2013, there are only a handful of playoff winners to be counted.

In terms of the Regular Season Championship, MFB has been such a force, he'll have to remind us how many trophies he's won. I'm pretty certain it's 3 of 9, but it may even be 4.

I've never won anything in the NFL over the 17-week seasons, so when I won the Superb Owl a few years ago it was such a personal highlight and vindication.

Congratulations again to two worthy champions, MFB and GERRY ... Let's get another 1 or 2 to participate in September. The NFL keeps sending real games, not friendlies, to London. There is clearly an interest in the egg-shaped-ballgame, and MFB and I will keep it lively.

GERRY_US is NFL PL Super Bowl Champion 2016! on 16:29 - Feb 10 with 771 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Well done to Gerry on winning the Superb Owl and MFB for another amazing year on winning the league. And of course thanks to Pete for running it once again.

Just a thought for next year though are there perhaps too many points assigned to the Super Bowl game? Out of all the Play Off games I correctly predicted the winner on all but two occasions but finished third due to lack of points from the Super Bowl game and effectively you could've got everything wrong in the lead up to the Super Bowl and still won had your predictions for that been spot on.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

GERRY_US is NFL PL Super Bowl Champion 2016! on 17:45 - Feb 10 with 756 viewsBarsidepete

GERRY_US is NFL PL Super Bowl Champion 2016! on 16:29 - Feb 10 by RSCOSWORTH

Well done to Gerry on winning the Superb Owl and MFB for another amazing year on winning the league. And of course thanks to Pete for running it once again.

Just a thought for next year though are there perhaps too many points assigned to the Super Bowl game? Out of all the Play Off games I correctly predicted the winner on all but two occasions but finished third due to lack of points from the Super Bowl game and effectively you could've got everything wrong in the lead up to the Super Bowl and still won had your predictions for that been spot on.

Hmm.

I've pondered the point scheme for years. Picking the winner probably gets you 5 points as it's 3 for the winner and 2 for the Vegas line/point spread. Everyone decided on the same winner alongside the same point spread.

If you're suggesting having the Super Bowl be worth 2 points for pick the winner and that's it? then there would be no reason to have a Super Bowl week. Thrillseeker would have won if he'd predicted Denver based on first-to-post; Durham would have had no chance because your 8-3 and Durham's 7-3 (yes, he posted late once)..

So essentially it would have come down to a RSCOSWORTH v THRILLSEEKER. What's the intrigue in that when no other PLer has a shot?

Winning 5 points for the closest to the final score--so long as you pick the winner--has always been the final standard.

The over/under is one of the Top 2 predictions one makes as a bettor; the point spread is number 1, not pick winner, which we afford 3 points for the finale.

So if you're suggesting that perhaps the passing yards, rushing yards, and most turnovers be worth only 1 point, ok, we might consider that.

Keep in mind, the most turnovers was worth 2 points but an all-or-nothing. Spot on for which team turned the ball over more times (Carolina --4) .. No one got this one right.

MFB and I are always open to suggestions. We could eliminate the Pick Winner and give the point spread its due and have that be a 3-pointer.

But the over-under is not going away, nor the Joker, 5 points for closest to actual result.

side note: I erroneously credited Gerry, Durham and myself 3 points instead of 2 for the point spread. That has been corrected/edited above, but has no bearing on the final table.

edit: RSCO, while your pick percentage at 10-7 was the best of the lot, it is the first tie-breaker after total points. During the regular season you could theoretically go 6-2 every week but if you'd gotten most 2-pointers wrong then you wouldn't win the title.

MFB and I afford 2 of 8 games for 17 weeks 2 points. They are more difficult to suss or simply a marquee derby.

You had a splendid season, RS. I wrote that above. We have plenty of time to tweak the points format for 2016/17 ... We might even go where the PL season doesn't end after 17 weeks and the table moves forward. But I'd still want to give more weight to the playoff games. And the Superb Owl not just the pick-winner.

We could drop it to 6 games per week and three of them are worth 2 points. You didn't volunteer as a guest presenter. You probably would have been given 2 weeks to admin.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2016 19:43]

GERRY_US is NFL PL Super Bowl Champion 2016! on 20:04 - Feb 10 with 741 viewsgerry_us

GERRY_US is NFL PL Super Bowl Champion 2016! on 17:45 - Feb 10 by Barsidepete

Hmm.

I've pondered the point scheme for years. Picking the winner probably gets you 5 points as it's 3 for the winner and 2 for the Vegas line/point spread. Everyone decided on the same winner alongside the same point spread.

If you're suggesting having the Super Bowl be worth 2 points for pick the winner and that's it? then there would be no reason to have a Super Bowl week. Thrillseeker would have won if he'd predicted Denver based on first-to-post; Durham would have had no chance because your 8-3 and Durham's 7-3 (yes, he posted late once)..

So essentially it would have come down to a RSCOSWORTH v THRILLSEEKER. What's the intrigue in that when no other PLer has a shot?

Winning 5 points for the closest to the final score--so long as you pick the winner--has always been the final standard.

The over/under is one of the Top 2 predictions one makes as a bettor; the point spread is number 1, not pick winner, which we afford 3 points for the finale.

So if you're suggesting that perhaps the passing yards, rushing yards, and most turnovers be worth only 1 point, ok, we might consider that.

Keep in mind, the most turnovers was worth 2 points but an all-or-nothing. Spot on for which team turned the ball over more times (Carolina --4) .. No one got this one right.

MFB and I are always open to suggestions. We could eliminate the Pick Winner and give the point spread its due and have that be a 3-pointer.

But the over-under is not going away, nor the Joker, 5 points for closest to actual result.

side note: I erroneously credited Gerry, Durham and myself 3 points instead of 2 for the point spread. That has been corrected/edited above, but has no bearing on the final table.

edit: RSCO, while your pick percentage at 10-7 was the best of the lot, it is the first tie-breaker after total points. During the regular season you could theoretically go 6-2 every week but if you'd gotten most 2-pointers wrong then you wouldn't win the title.

MFB and I afford 2 of 8 games for 17 weeks 2 points. They are more difficult to suss or simply a marquee derby.

You had a splendid season, RS. I wrote that above. We have plenty of time to tweak the points format for 2016/17 ... We might even go where the PL season doesn't end after 17 weeks and the table moves forward. But I'd still want to give more weight to the playoff games. And the Superb Owl not just the pick-winner.

We could drop it to 6 games per week and three of them are worth 2 points. You didn't volunteer as a guest presenter. You probably would have been given 2 weeks to admin.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2016 19:43]

I liked it the way it is.
GERRY_US is NFL PL Super Bowl Champion 2016! on 05:55 - Feb 11 with 733 viewsBarsidepete

GERRY_US is NFL PL Super Bowl Champion 2016! on 20:04 - Feb 10 by gerry_us

I liked it the way it is.

Well said, Champ.

No one has ever in the history of the Superb Owl playoffs complained about the fact only one person, closest to getting around the final score, adds 5 points to their total. -- so that was a total of 5 points or zero points. Gerry, Durham and I are the ones who nailed those two.

The pick the winner, there are years when one might easily pick a winner but the other team covers the spread. This year, everyone went for the same winner and that team's point spread. So it was 5 points or no points.

But if Carolina had won by 6? three PLers would have scored 2 points in favour of Denver ("covering'), but they wouldn't have added 3 pts for a Denver win. So in that case the ones who picked Carolina had the only shot to win. RSCOSWORTH had the inside track -- IF the Panthers had won..

This is so elementary. It's not as if MFB and I don't know what we are doing after a decade. Every year there is the opportunity for PLers to suggest changes in the scoring system, the playoff format. Go on then.

GERRY_US and MFB_CUFC are the trophy-holders of two different competitions for 2015/2016...

I'll say it again. In the NFL. 17 weeks, that's the NFL PL Champion. The "Superb Owl" is a separate comp -- which I remind, TalkSport and the Daily Mail stole from me, "Superb Owl"

Simply said, MFB is the champion of season and GERRY the Superb Owl winner. One may argue which is the bigger accomplishment since in the playoffs all numbers disappear and you begin over. Two separate champions. That's how it's always been.

Not rocket science. After 10 years we have an established scoring system. Go on then, anyone, suggest a variant playoff format.

This is what we have going into year 11 in September...

Two worthy defending champions, holders for the next season -- MFB_CUFC and GERRY_US

That's it then.

Up the U's
[Post edited 11 Feb 2016 6:33]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024