Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Relegation is certain 14:42 - Feb 10 with 871 viewsLeadbelly

I know it isn't and I hope it doesn't come to that but for the purposes of this thread let's assume we are going down. In the short and long term interest of the club should the management, regardless of results for the rest of this season, do some, none or all of the following?

1) Dispense with any/all loan players
2) Identify those players out of contract at the end of the season who won't be retained or won't sign a new deal and stop selecting them
3) Select for the first XI and first team squad those players under contract at the club next season
4) Loan out younger players not selected for first team squad to gain experience at a lower level
5) Experiment with formations and player positions during the remaining games
6) Seek to have agreements in place at the earliest possible time regarding loan players and permanent signings

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Relegation is certain on 16:33 - Feb 10 with 856 viewsdurham_exile

Leadbelly - unfortunately loan players are essential for clubs like ours. We do not have any other option, but as with anything the right loanee is key to success.

Jake Keen can have no complaints, he was here for 28 days and then instead of extending he left. His record was poor and he did get to play against Spurs so moaning back to Carrot Road is unprofessional and frankly beneath him!

KK must pick the best team for the 17 remaining games, until the position is mathematically untenable he must play the most experienced and best XI.

Injuries notwithstanding, the squad must continue with further loanees; a defender and striker seems reasonable.

Ask me again after the next two home matches, if we fail to secure 6 points then I will agree with your assessment otherwise we must carry on regardless with the Great Escape.

Finally I do not hold with all this relegation is good for the club crap. It never is and one bad season and we are out of the league again. Ask Cheltenham, Torquay, Wrexham, Lincoln City, Grimsby, Macclesfield, Aldershot and others where they would rather be.

No Colchester must persevere with the increasingly difficult aim of staying in league one.
The situation is still within our own hands. Working smarter is the key with players stepping up to the plate.

Gilbey gave the referee a decision to make with his poor challenge at Scummend. Noone knows how the match could have ended had it remained eleven v eleven but Gilbey did not help the cause.

Since KK extolled his virtues and BCFC got involved he has been poor and after a 3 match lay-off he needs to come back fired up for all the right reasons.

Swindon and Chesterfield are vital 6 points is a must, anything less and it is all over. iN the meantime.

Keep the faith.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Relegation is certain on 16:55 - Feb 10 with 844 viewsMoor_Pinot

Absolutely spot on Durham.
From snowy south central France I still manage to see and hear snippets and do not want or accept relegation - even though if we fail in the next two games I know it will happen.

It is indeed NOT good for us to go down. Who knows what that could lead to. I prefer to think of all the effort put in by Wignall, Whitton - yep him - as well as Parky and indeed Humes' heroics v Preston - all enabling us to be at the 3rd division level for 20 years. On low gates and so forth it's been a tremendous achievement, well analysed and exemplified by Noah's post a few days back.

For me there remains a different question - it needs asking and answering whether we go down or not. Basically we had 3 or 4 successive years when we had to dig ourselves out of the bottom 4. The auspices were not good, the lesson was there. But it hasn't been learned. I fail to believe that relegation was an inevitable continuum, even if it does fit Noah's analysis. Our club have had the opportunity to take steps to make a better fist of it this season. Instead we appear to be a poorer side than the one which somehow survived last year and the year before and the one before that.
As you say Durham.......another bad year and instead of going to Nailsworth in Div 2 we could be playing Ebbsfleet.

Up the U's for these next two defining games.

Bon chance

Just going to get my shovel to dig us out here...............maybe it'll work there too.

Moor Pinot

Relegation is certain on 17:11 - Feb 10 with 838 viewsLeadbelly

Gentlemen,

I don't disagree with what you are saying but I fear you have missed my main point which is...what should the club do WHEN/IF relegation is confirmed rather than what they will do in an attempt to avoid relegation?

For instance, I see no point paying for loan players if relegation is confirmed. There is no benefit to Colchester United in Elliot Lee playing if we have been relegated. Benefit all goes to West Ham...unless we expect to sign him, which is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Relegation is certain on 17:26 - Feb 10 with 832 viewsMoor_Pinot

Sorry Whalers.

I support 2,3,4 and 6 as the way forward I think.
Money defines some of the options and those four picks appear to me to be the most cost effective management and also likely to lead to the greatest levels of loyalty from the squad.
Loyalty matters because some of our lot [eg Massey] might actually mind if we go down. These days so many players don't care about consequences only match by match outcomes where they are concerned.

Moor Pinot

Relegation is certain on 17:34 - Feb 10 with 828 viewsLeadbelly

Relegation is certain on 17:26 - Feb 10 by Moor_Pinot

Sorry Whalers.

I support 2,3,4 and 6 as the way forward I think.
Money defines some of the options and those four picks appear to me to be the most cost effective management and also likely to lead to the greatest levels of loyalty from the squad.
Loyalty matters because some of our lot [eg Massey] might actually mind if we go down. These days so many players don't care about consequences only match by match outcomes where they are concerned.

No apology required. I would be mortified if you took my post as an admonishment. Any abruptness was unintentional.

Relegation is certain on 17:37 - Feb 10 with 828 viewsbwildered

Perhaps it is already happening Leadbelly , what is required is pace upfront, cannot see the club retaining Sordell or Ambrose so another look at Elliott Lee might be the reason he is already here.
What the club is really crying out for is a captain fantastic, a born leader to drive the side forward especially in times choppy times .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Relegation is certain on 17:54 - Feb 10 with 824 viewsBarsidepete

A minus 32 GD tells me the midfield cannot keep the ball moving ahead and that places undue pressure on the backs.

Maybe a terrific midfielder first, then a forward.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Relegation is certain on 14:05 - Feb 11 with 756 viewsburnsieespana

In my opinion we should do without loan players unless we plan to sign them in the summer so that out youngsters get as much experience as possible for next year.
Unlike durham I just can't see us escaping the drop this year so, am I the only person who thinks KK is not the right man for the job?
Staggering thought given that today with Ronnie Moore getting the boot at Hartlepool, 40 Manager's have already got the boot this season. I wonder how many in a season is the record?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024