Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cowling: thought U's had 'weathered storm' 15:58 - Apr 25 with 474 viewsBarsidepete

This quote with BBC Essex is priceless:

.. story in BBC.com .. http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36128406

"If the things I'm trying to put in place don't bear fruit for many years to come but do in the long run, I'm going to do that."

What the heck. Many years to come?? Will Braintree be in League 1 before the U's?

Oh, brother.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Cowling: thought U's had 'weathered storm' on 17:25 - Apr 25 with 452 viewsLeadbelly

That article is based on what Cowling said to Glen Speller on BBC Essex at about 17.35 on Saturday.

Interesting that it omits his response to the question of whether he expects Keen to be at the club next season. He accused Speller of lowering himself for daring to ask the question. Sadly, Mr Cowling, it is exactly the sort of question many fans would like answered, certainly those wavering on renewing season tickets I suspect.

It also omits his comments about not doing anything "just to make the fans happy". Good PR, which is now what I expect.

The more worrying aspect of this for me is when I consider the "fans happy" comment alongside "don't bear fruit for many years" and how he clearly misjudged badly the quality of this season's squad and coaching staff when he says the club had weathered the storm and how there was no expectation of a relegation battle. He clearly thinks he is doing the right thing and in 15 or 20 years he may be proved right but the evidence before my eyes is of a decline over the last few seasons which has now culminated in relegation. If I could be bothered I would find the post I made after seeing us ship three goals against Orient in pre-season. I believe I said if we defended like that we would be relegated.(happy to be proved wrong by someone with more time/inclination)

It may help me at least if Mr Cowling could clarify how many years of not bearing fruit he considers reasonable before declaring he has got it wrong and we need to do something different.

And before anyone else repeats Mr Cowling's comments about punching above our weight and maybe League 2 is where we should really be, consider that I started attending Col U games after promotion from the Conference. For 18 out of 24 seasons of my involvement we haven't been in League 2. It doesn't feel to me as if we should be there nor do I want to be there.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024