Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The real cost of relegation! 17:40 - May 10 with 1141 viewsdurham_exile

The Sharks are circling in the water for the U's prized assets, or more properly having looked at the list of clubs, the minnows.

Barnsley, Peterbore, MK Dons, Swindon, Charlton are all interested in George Moncur with a valuation of £150K.

No mention of Alex Gilbey but we know that Bristol City were sniffing around a few weeks ago and a possible bid of £250K was talked about. Some lower league team called Rangers were also apparently interested!

Elliot Lee has of course returned to West Ham.

Now I know that we have been and probably will remain a selling club but with the best will in the world the quality of club looking at Moncur is derisory.

He is definitely good enough to play in the Championship and not for some lame League One outfit. Similarly with Gilbey.

This is the true cost of relegation, we cannot hope to retain these quality players now that we are plying our trade in the 4th tier of English football, but we owe it to the club, the player concerned and the supporters to ensure that we get the best possible deal career wise and finance wise for Colchester United.

The teams mentioned earlier do not represent career progression and we can definitely do better, notwithstanding the fact that we are currently floundering in the mire of obscurity.

Recent posts on this site have suggested that we are not only in a downward spiral but also we will struggle to regain ground next season. I cannot disagree with such views; we are advancing backwards and have made no progress in the past 4 years. It is incredible that the faithful have supported the club and seen average gates top the 4,100 figure despite the obvious failures.

We neither have a divine right to league one football, nor can expect any favours to help us get back there anytime soon, but if next season does not lead to promotion either automatically or via the play offs, we will quickly join the other sides who have been similarly ostracised and now have little expectation other than to languish with the pond life.

We already know that next season we will play against:

Leyton Orient
Cambridge United
Carlisle
Luton Town
Mansfield Town
Wyscum
Exeter City
Barnet
Hartlepool
Notts County
Stevenage
Yeovil
Crawley Town
Morecambe
Newport County

Plus the other relegated sides:
Doncaster
Blackpool
Crewe

Plus promoted:
Cheltenham
and/or
Grimsby or Forest Green

And three out of:
Accrington Stanley
Plymouth
Portsmouth
AFC Wimbledon

Not a remotely appealing thought. Deep joy.

JM has identified a wish list of 6 or 7 players that the U's wish to pursue but will be working with TH to obtain them!!!!

The glass half empty brigade will also point out that one further bad season and we could join the serried ranks of those who have disappeared into football oblivion;
Tranmere, Wrexham, Macclesfield, Lincoln, Aldershot, Chester, Torquay and Halifax and others like Stockport and Maidstone who even fail to get a mention in the first round proper of the FA Cup.

Not an appealing thought.

Clearly I have yet to adjust to the thought of League Two, but it will be a long hard season unless we can start well and improve.

Enough of this.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

The real cost of relegation! on 21:50 - May 10 with 1098 viewsLeadbelly

If anyone is prepared to pay good money for Moncur we should take it. He isn't as good as he thinks he is.

Latest rumour of a club interested in Gilbey involves Wigan. They can afford to pay more than Rangers.

I don't see how it is the club's responsibility to worry about future careers of departing players. Surely it is up to the players and their agents to!satisfy themselves that they are making the correct decision. Career progression is, of course, a subjective matter but I suspect any player leaving of their own volition will secure a contract at a club that will pay them more than Col U can or will offer, probably a longer term contract than Col U can or will offer and almost certainly the ability to play at a higher level than Col U can offer in the foreseeable future. I would suggest those three things would count as career progression in the mind of almost any player you could name.

I am a fully paid up member of the glass half empty brigade. I would love us to mount a genuine promotion challenge but I wouldn't put any money on that happening. McGreal may have identified players he wants to bring in but does he have the final say? I doubt he does. A combination of the chairman's vision and his lapdog's signings resulted in relegation this season. Have they actually learned the lessons this time round?

Others have posted details of how rarely relegated teams secure promotion the following year. I think a prolonged period in League 2 is far more likely than an immediate return, mainly because I don't believe the chairman has any intention of spending the sort of money that is required to give us an fighting chance.

I was resigned to League 2 next season from the end of last October so the pain isn't that raw...but I'm still bloody annoyed that it was allowed to happen, nor am I looking forward to it.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

The real cost of relegation! on 22:05 - May 10 with 1075 viewsBarsidepete

I just don't see why Mr. Cowling would run the club into the ground.

He's already lost many millions with the relegation if he decides to sell 16/17.

What in the world will the club be worth in the National League?

Back in the day a number of us discussed pounding money to support a (new) Colchester Town FC. Seriously. Like F.C. United of Manchester did.

I'm still all in to put £1000 in a stake, and where we begin is where it is.

I'm hopeful for midtable, but don't actually believe it in my heart.

This season is disgusting. There have been enough years to fix this. COWLING OUT.
[Post edited 10 May 2016 22:07]

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

The real cost of relegation! on 22:18 - May 10 with 1065 viewsbwildered

Is the Chairman willing to pay off the top marque signings which the now Director of Football had previously signed, but have under performed ?
The now manager indicates six /seven possible signings which would only come from monies generated from sales and not retaining any player which are out of contract, to fulfill that ambition .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

The real cost of relegation! on 22:53 - May 10 with 1049 viewsmfb_cufc

Moncur is still under contract, so won't necessarily be going anywhere. I agree with Leadbelly, he is not as good as he thinks he is. We would miss his goals, but his decision making leaves a lot to be desired.

mfb

The real cost of relegation! (n/t) on 09:24 - May 11 with 998 viewsTheOldOakTree

[Post edited 28 Jun 2016 9:02]
The real cost of relegation! on 18:43 - May 11 with 919 viewsburnsieespana

Leadbelly we wont get a fee for Golbey but if he stays in England we will get more compensation than if he goes to Rangers because the English league sides have agreed a different package than FIFA which is applied in Scotland.
As far as the comments on Moncur are concerned I agree. We only paid about £30k for him as I understand it and if we could clear £150k with add ons in the event of him being transferred to another club I would settle for that.
Going to be a long difficult summer with lots of speculation and no doubt heartbreak on here but we need to grit our teeth and hope JMc has some good contacts to help us in our serch.
Personally I reckon we will be lucky to do our business early.
The real cost of relegation! on 18:45 - May 11 with 918 viewsburnsieespana

The real cost of relegation! on 22:18 - May 10 by bwildered

Is the Chairman willing to pay off the top marque signings which the now Director of Football had previously signed, but have under performed ?
The now manager indicates six /seven possible signings which would only come from monies generated from sales and not retaining any player which are out of contract, to fulfill that ambition .

If wwe can get rid of Elokobi as he seems the only player in that caregory I would be very happy as I actually feel Porter is worth keeping.
The real cost of relegation! on 23:42 - May 15 with 788 viewsdurham_exile

Grimsby and Portsmouth added to the list.

Plymouth must be favourites to go up leaving Wimbledon and Accrington Stanley to bring up the 24 clubs in league two.

Deep joy.

I can't wait, heavy sarcasm!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024