Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Revamp 18:41 - May 19 with 742 viewsbwildered

Suggested revamp of English football could see a extra league formed . Five leagues of 20 teams, with no mid week league fixtures due to the reduction and teams from the National league making up the extra . Also consideration is Premier League A teams being entered .
Thoughts ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Revamp on 18:51 - May 19 with 732 viewsBarsidepete

Too soon for thoughts. I get BBC updates and that story just broke. I have to digest the ramifications, Bwildered.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Revamp on 19:35 - May 19 with 725 viewswessex_exile

Interesting, as these days we do for all intents and purposes have a 5 league structure anyway (certainly if you look at the make up of the National League - most of them are ex-league sides). I don't have any particular problem with formalising that into a 5 league structure at the top of the pyramid, but there are serious ramifications for some clubs.

Fewer games would be good for player fitness, and no (or virtually no) midweek games certainly good news for the hard-pressed but committed football supporter (certainly those with kids as well), but unless the new structure was accompanied by an across the board reduction in player wages and other overheads, it would simply mean less revenue for the same salary spend, which would really hurt clubs like our own, who get by on little enough as it is. Also, if this means fully professional sides throughout all divisions, it might make League 3 (or whatever it's called) beyond the reach of the likes of Braintree and other over-achievers, which would be a big shame.

So, a guarded "not automatically against, but need more details" position from here in the West Country.

Edit: However, screw the idea of PL A teams being entered - if they want match fitness for their young darlings, loan them out and feed the pyramid FFS...though I confess the idea of their young talent A-teams being kicked off the park by a Division 5 bunch of cloggers is quite amusing...
[Post edited 19 May 2016 19:41]

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Revamp on 20:00 - May 19 with 713 viewsDaniel

I'm sort of with you Wessex. Something I think that would be a benefit to it is bringing back the North/South divide for the bottom two leagues.
Revamp on 21:07 - May 19 with 692 viewsLeadbelly

Lack of relevant detail, particularly how having fewer games will lead to more revenue for all, makes deciding if this a good or bad idea difficult.

What I would be totally against, however, is the inclusion of PL B teams or any teams from north of the border.

I don't much care for the notion of no or very few midweek games. I rather enjoy floodlit games. What I would like to see, if the season consisted of 38 games, is a later start date. That would allow those of us that follow cricket, for instance, to see more of that. It would also avoid the current clash with school summer holidays which, obviously, reduces attendance in August.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Revamp on 17:29 - May 20 with 642 viewsbwildered

Totally agree with the previous posts, that PL clubs should be excluded, they already have a youth European and U21 competition too themselves , but pressure to include is due to the fact most major clubs have teams in lower divisions but cannot be promoted .
Problem with midweek fixtures is that they clash with Chumps League on the box, with many do not bothered to attend, especially during inclement weather .
Most clubs already in the National league are ex FL teams and full time professional, so the majority of us it would be all too familiar .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Revamp on 11:01 - May 21 with 619 viewsburnsieespana

On face seems a fair idea.
Am against either B teams or Celtic/Rangers joining unless they do so at the bottom and work way up.
Believe been stated that some sort of compensation ( assume from Sky TV money pot) will be given to clubs loosing revenue as would play less games.
If it comes to pass Manager's wont last long the season it all happens as clubs be desperate to stay in the higher division!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024