Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hello there 20:15 - Jul 17 with 1638 viewsalgy04

Hi, I'm a Grimsby Town fan and writer for the fanzine www.codalmighty.com

Now that we're back in the football league (remember us?) the site are reviving a series of Rough Guides that we used to run in the league and I'm writing about you guys. For an example of my past work, please click the link http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4359

For this year we're making sure that GTFC fans know all about our opponents in League Two, so I'm here to ask if there are any Colchester facts and fables that you think I should include beyond what a routine Google search will provide for me. Fans' favourites, fans' villains, recommended pubs, funny stories, famous fans, claims to fame, high points and low points, authoritarian chairmen, characterful managers or mad mascots, basically anything that you think people should know about your club and anything that you think will make the CUFC Rough Guide the most informative and entertaining on the site.

Many thanks for reading.
Hello there on 00:59 - Jul 18 with 1615 viewsnoah4x4

High points -few; except Andy Boothroyd' hoofball when we had to adjust the floodlights skyward to follow the game. Now, we play very good (but losing) football.
Low points - many. Defeat by the Romans started the rot; Boudicca led our best team.
Famous Fan; Radio DJ Steve Lemacq, Although cricket's Alistair Cook allegedly a fan.
Best pub in East Anglia (CAMRA winner) Victoria Inn. Close to railway station.
But the Playhouse is also popular with away fans (old converted theatre, atmospheric).
Don't drink at the ground Green King IPA (ugh!).
Shuttle bus from by Colchester Station £2.50. Brilliantly efficient.
Burgers and Pies above average.
Fans very friendly. Club award winning for being family friendly.
Club wins few awards on the pitch.
Biggest crowd, 17,000. Lionel Ritchie was playing.
Lowest crowd, probably Grimsby 2016 given the Tuesday night scheduling.
Come early and enjoy the pre-match band (weekly talent showcase).
You bring the fish, we'll make sure you have your chips!
[Post edited 18 Jul 2016 9:05]
Hello there on 06:16 - Jul 18 with 1606 viewsLeadbelly

Hello there on 00:59 - Jul 18 by noah4x4

High points -few; except Andy Boothroyd' hoofball when we had to adjust the floodlights skyward to follow the game. Now, we play very good (but losing) football.
Low points - many. Defeat by the Romans started the rot; Boudicca led our best team.
Famous Fan; Radio DJ Steve Lemacq, Although cricket's Alistair Cook allegedly a fan.
Best pub in East Anglia (CAMRA winner) Victoria Inn. Close to railway station.
But the Playhouse is also popular with away fans (old converted theatre, atmospheric).
Don't drink at the ground Green King IPA (ugh!).
Shuttle bus from by Colchester Station £2.50. Brilliantly efficient.
Burgers and Pies above average.
Fans very friendly. Club award winning for being family friendly.
Club wins few awards on the pitch.
Biggest crowd, 17,000. Lionel Ritchie was playing.
Lowest crowd, probably Grimsby 2016 given the Tuesday night scheduling.
Come early and enjoy the pre-match band (weekly talent showcase).
You bring the fish, we'll make sure you have your chips!
[Post edited 18 Jul 2016 9:05]

That would be Steve Lemacq, 16.00 to 19.00 on 6 Music. Makes midweek games a bit tricky!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Hello there on 09:04 - Jul 18 with 1598 viewsnoah4x4

Hello there on 06:16 - Jul 18 by Leadbelly

That would be Steve Lemacq, 16.00 to 19.00 on 6 Music. Makes midweek games a bit tricky!

Good shout Lead'. Have always got my Marc Lemarr's and my Steve Lemacq's muddled

Both broadcast past my bedtime radio channels that my cat's whisker can't get - so apologies for misspelling etc. Have edited above Algy.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2016 9:08]
Hello there on 18:28 - Jul 18 with 1549 viewsgerry_us

Welcome Algy and congratulations for your return to proper football. I was cheering for you all the way as you are now the closest team to me in Louth. A nice short trip to the seaside to watch the U's. Not too many opportunities for ColU exile otherwise. One more is alway welcome. Sorry we will not play you next season but we are going back up...
Hello there on 21:56 - Jul 18 with 1532 viewsLeadbelly

Difficult to name many fan's favourites as most of them have left since the end of last season. Main man is probably Sam Walker (he's 7ft tall) who missed all bar about an hour of last season with a serious knee injury. Fingers crossed he is back in goal as he was a big loss.

Don't drink at the ground...Noah is spot on. Nearest pub is Dog and Pheasant but it is pretty grim. The Victoria in North Station Rd is excellent and The Bricklayers near the station is also very good. Away fans usually welcome in both but always worth checking.

Authoritarian chairman...look no further than the current incumbent. He has made it abundantly clear that the club will be run as he sees fit. This has resulted in the Us dodging relegation, just, three years in a row followed by a return to League 2 for this season. He's in it for the long haul apparently...very reassuring.

High points include Wembley play off final victory in 1998, promotion to the Championship, beating Southend and Ipswich on any occasion, slapping Norwich 7-1 away to welcome them to League 1 and being a goal up at Chelsea in a televised FA Cup game. And we won the Watney Cup!

Managers...look no further than Roy McDonough. I think he still holds the record for red cards in a career.

Hello there on 00:53 - Jul 19 with 1518 viewsjohnnyboy53

Authoritarian chairman...... Must have been Johnathan Crisp, who made our club "members only"
Our gates went down to an all time low of just 1200!!!

Poll: Are we turning the corner?

Hello there on 13:42 - Jul 26 with 1418 viewsalgy04

Thank you all for your response, lots of useful info and it's nice to see a healthy level of gallows humour amongst you (that's the only kind of humour we've managed at Blundell Park for the last twelve years or so).

May I ask a few more questions?

Which players are you glad you've kept from last season?
Were you happy/sad/resigned/sympathetic to see Kevin Keen go?
Which players are you most excited for the coming season?
Is McGreal a good appointment?
What pleases and/or frustrates you about the way that other football fans view CUFC?

Thanks again for reading and I'll let you know when the guide is live.
Hello there on 17:50 - Jul 26 with 1398 viewsFruitbat

Hello there on 13:42 - Jul 26 by algy04

Thank you all for your response, lots of useful info and it's nice to see a healthy level of gallows humour amongst you (that's the only kind of humour we've managed at Blundell Park for the last twelve years or so).

May I ask a few more questions?

What pleases and/or frustrates you about the way that other football fans view CUFC?

Thanks again for reading and I'll let you know when the guide is live.

Given some of last seasons performances I'm not sure I'd have been that bothered if they'd all left. The exception is Sam Walker, who is absolved of all blame having missed all but an hour of the season. If he'd been fit we'd probably have ended up selling him this summer but he'll be a big player for us this year, he's better than L2 certainly.

To me he never looked or sounded comfortable in the post so not surprised.

We've signed a lot of players this summer, I'll be happy if any of them turn out to be any good. It's also a bit of a "coming of age" season for some of the academy graduates looking forward to seeing if the likes of Sammie Szmodics or Drey Wright can make a consistent impact on the first team.

I hope so but who knows? He got the job because he was next in line but was highly regarded in the academy set up so we'll have to wait and see. A bit of stability certainly wouldnt hurt - I think we had six different blokes in charge last season.

I think we're fairly irrelevant to supporters of most other sides aren't we?
Login to get fewer ads

Hello there on 20:52 - Jul 26 with 1382 viewsLeadbelly

Hello there on 17:50 - Jul 26 by Fruitbat

Given some of last seasons performances I'm not sure I'd have been that bothered if they'd all left. The exception is Sam Walker, who is absolved of all blame having missed all but an hour of the season. If he'd been fit we'd probably have ended up selling him this summer but he'll be a big player for us this year, he's better than L2 certainly.

To me he never looked or sounded comfortable in the post so not surprised.

We've signed a lot of players this summer, I'll be happy if any of them turn out to be any good. It's also a bit of a "coming of age" season for some of the academy graduates looking forward to seeing if the likes of Sammie Szmodics or Drey Wright can make a consistent impact on the first team.

I hope so but who knows? He got the job because he was next in line but was highly regarded in the academy set up so we'll have to wait and see. A bit of stability certainly wouldnt hurt - I think we had six different blokes in charge last season.

I think we're fairly irrelevant to supporters of most other sides aren't we?

Agree with Fruitbat. I'd also mention Tom Eastman. He had a shocker last season playing alongside any number of centre halves who offered no leadership. In previous seasons he has been solid playing with a senior pro. Let's hope Prosser can be that man this season.

In the right situation Keen would have done a good job. Colchester wasn't that place. I do feel some sympathy for him.

Which players are you most excited about for the coming season?

Can't say any of the signings have had me whistling on the way to work and I haven't been to any friendlies so not sure what to expect.

The chairman thinks so and that's all that matters. Time will tell.

Outside of Southend and possibly Wycombe I doubt many fans of other clubs give us a moment's thought. To be fair, we rarely give them cause to do so.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2016 21:41]

Hello there on 21:25 - Jul 26 with 1375 viewsdurham_exile

Definitely Sam Walker who was sadly injured for the entire season.
I also rate Richard Brindley in defence
Tom Eastman at Centre Back
Sammy Szmodics in attacking midfield
Dion Sembie-Ferris who has great potential on the wing.

We had such a wretched season that I was not surprised he left.

I am looking forward to see how the new signings gel together - Craig Slater, Denny Johnstone, Kurtis Guthrie, Luke Prosser and Doug Loft.

Too early to say but he has made some positive signings.

I'm more annoyed about the lack of press coverage. Colchester has always been viewed as punching above our weight and largely ignored because of our proximity to London (55 miles).

Frankly I dont care what other clubs say about Colchester especially not Ipswich, Wycombe and Southend.

I am looking forward to visiting Grimsby later in the season.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Hello there on 14:25 - Aug 2 with 1298 viewsalgy04

Thanks again everybody, it's just about ready to go and will be live on the site in the days leading up to our fixture on 16th August. (The season came around quickly this year.)

Have a great season; I hope you get 100 points and finish second in the league - we'll win the title with 101 ;-)

As an aside, if you enjoy horror, survival horror and/or zombie stories, here's a link to 44 free episodes of post-apocalyptic thrill and kills (just click the Stella Archive to begin your nightmare journey): http://www.alistairwilkinsonauthor.co.uk/

If you enjoy it, please like and share.
Hello there on 10:18 - Aug 3 with 1246 viewsgerry_us

Hello there on 14:25 - Aug 2 by algy04

Thanks again everybody, it's just about ready to go and will be live on the site in the days leading up to our fixture on 16th August. (The season came around quickly this year.)

Have a great season; I hope you get 100 points and finish second in the league - we'll win the title with 101 ;-)

As an aside, if you enjoy horror, survival horror and/or zombie stories, here's a link to 44 free episodes of post-apocalyptic thrill and kills (just click the Stella Archive to begin your nightmare journey): http://www.alistairwilkinsonauthor.co.uk/

If you enjoy it, please like and share.

Thanks but we had enough horror stories last season to last a lifetime.
Hello there on 13:02 - Aug 15 with 1154 viewsalgy04

Thanks again. The rough guide to CUFC is live here:

http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=5937
Hello there on 20:00 - Aug 16 with 1020 viewswessex_exile

Hello there on 13:02 - Aug 15 by algy04

Thanks again. The rough guide to CUFC is live here:

http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=5937

Good article, well done sire.

To hijack this as the Grimsby thread - U's 1-0 up (Dickenson with Porter assist), and have hit the woodwork twice too.

Come on Col U!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024