Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS 09:44 - Aug 13 with 857 viewsdurham_exile

JM leads his Col U charges in a derby match against Cambridge United at the WHCS this afternoon.

Last week at Sunny Hartlepool, the U’s started the season with a point, but JM will be looking for the first of many home victories to promote a promotion push.

Sean Derry led his Cambridge side to an impressive victory against Sheffield Wednesday in mid-week whilst Colchester lost to a Brighton team that turned on the style in the last 25 minutes.

Today is all about league points and bragging rights.

JM may not have decided on his strongest XI but there is no doubt he has a squad capable of securing a top seven finish in League Two.

I would expect something along the following lines for the starting XI today:

Walker

Vincent-Young Prosser Eastman Kinsella

Wright Slater Szmodics Dickenson

Guthrie

Johnstone

Subs:

Bransgrove Brindley Kent Sembie-Ferris Lapslie Bonne Porter

It is early days, but in front of a 5,000 crowd, a good home victory ahead of Tuesday’s visit from the Mariners will give some much needed momentum.

Enjoy the game

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 12:26 - Aug 13 with 819 viewswessex_exile

Morning Durham - nice summary as ever!

General question to all, as I honestly don't have the answer, when was the last time all three CUFCs were in the same league together?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 13:30 - Aug 13 with 806 viewswessex_exile

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 12:26 - Aug 13 by wessex_exile

Morning Durham - nice summary as ever!

General question to all, as I honestly don't have the answer, when was the last time all three CUFCs were in the same league together?

I think I've just answered my own question - 1996/97 looks to be the last time this happened, 20 years ago. By curious coincidence, we also played Cambridge (1st round) and Carlisle (Final) in the Autowindscreens that season as well.

Up the U's

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 14:31 - Aug 13 with 802 viewsdurham_exile

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 13:30 - Aug 13 by wessex_exile

I think I've just answered my own question - 1996/97 looks to be the last time this happened, 20 years ago. By curious coincidence, we also played Cambridge (1st round) and Carlisle (Final) in the Autowindscreens that season as well.

20 years ago Wessex - I went to Wembley for the Autowindscreens shield match.

Let us hope for better results this season!

Only one change today from last Saturday Dickenson in for Slater.

Porter will have to improve drastically on his pathetic showing last week.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 15:10 - Aug 13 with 790 viewsdurham_exile

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 14:31 - Aug 13 by durham_exile

20 years ago Wessex - I went to Wembley for the Autowindscreens shield match.

Let us hope for better results this season!

Only one change today from last Saturday Dickenson in for Slater.

Porter will have to improve drastically on his pathetic showing last week.

Up the U's

Dickenson 1-0

Durham_exile

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 16:43 - Aug 13 with 777 viewsdurham_exile

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 15:10 - Aug 13 by durham_exile

Dickenson 1-0

Denny Johnstone - my tip for 20 goals this season.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 16:46 - Aug 13 with 776 viewsdurham_exile

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 16:43 - Aug 13 by durham_exile

Denny Johnstone - my tip for 20 goals this season.

Up the U's

Top three will do nicely come May 17

Up the U's

Durham_exile

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 16:56 - Aug 13 with 774 viewsdurham_exile

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 16:46 - Aug 13 by durham_exile

Top three will do nicely come May 17

Up the U's

Bring on the Mariners

The U's are going up

Durham_exile

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 17:14 - Aug 13 with 764 viewsgerry_us

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 16:56 - Aug 13 by durham_exile

Bring on the Mariners

The U's are going up

Surely he has to play Johnstone from the start against the Mariners?
Login to get fewer ads

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 17:35 - Aug 13 with 748 viewswessex_exile

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 17:14 - Aug 13 by gerry_us

Surely he has to play Johnstone from the start against the Mariners?

Tricky, because from listening to the commentary, Porter didn't do much wrong and had a good game. An excellent performance all over the pitch for the U's, against one of the fancied teams in this league (who sounded quite ordinary to be honest), and following on from a solid opening day point at Hartlepool. Follow this up with three points against Grimsby on Tuesday and I'll be very happy with our start.

Up the U's

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 17:39 - Aug 13 with 753 viewsgerry_us

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 17:35 - Aug 13 by wessex_exile

Tricky, because from listening to the commentary, Porter didn't do much wrong and had a good game. An excellent performance all over the pitch for the U's, against one of the fancied teams in this league (who sounded quite ordinary to be honest), and following on from a solid opening day point at Hartlepool. Follow this up with three points against Grimsby on Tuesday and I'll be very happy with our start.

You didn't see how poor he was at Hartlepool ,Wessex.
CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 18:30 - Aug 13 with 727 viewswessex_exile

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 17:39 - Aug 13 by gerry_us

You didn't see how poor he was at Hartlepool ,Wessex.

Indeed not, but comments on the OMB seem to agree he had a good game today, and received an excellent ovation when being subbed. On Tuesday, for now, I think I'd stick with the starting XI.

Up the U's

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 18:51 - Aug 13 with 727 viewsFruitbat

6/10, must do better. I'd have taken any sort of win today and that's what we got against a very very poor Cambridge side who, at one-nil wasted their two best chances of the game (good save by Walker and header over the bar by Elito - yes, him).

Still not entirely sure of our formation. We definitely had a back four and Porter up front but i've no real idea what was going on inbetween them. It looked better when Loft came on late to slot in alongside Lapslie.

Of the new signings, Dickenson scored ane and set one up. He doesn't look to have a great deal of pace but otherwise impressed and was a worthy MOM. Johnstone came off the bench and scored, Kinsella looks ok and Prosser looks like a player we needed last season. Guthrie I'm afraid didn't convince at all.

If Cambridge are the best L2 have to offer then we'll do ok, but I suspect there are better sides out there and we still look a bit of a work in progress.
CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 19:26 - Aug 13 with 710 viewsLeadbelly

Porter didn't do much wrong but he is slow and immobile. No threat whatsoever.

Back four looks more solid than last season. Eastman clearly benefits from the presence of Prosser and they probably all benefit from the return of Walker.

Formation beyond flat back four was a mystery to me and the players as well I suspect. At times it appeared Szmodics was our only midfielder.

Guthrie looked out of his depth and out of place in midfield. Note to McGreal...if Slater and Loft are sitting on the bench why the hell is Guthrie starting in the middle? A mistake that will be exposed by better sides than Cambridge.

Dickinson and Johnstone looked good.

Would agree with Fruitbat's 6/10. Would love to see what these players could do playing 4-4-2.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 19:39 - Aug 13 with 703 viewsdurham_exile

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 19:26 - Aug 13 by Leadbelly

Porter didn't do much wrong but he is slow and immobile. No threat whatsoever.

Back four looks more solid than last season. Eastman clearly benefits from the presence of Prosser and they probably all benefit from the return of Walker.

Formation beyond flat back four was a mystery to me and the players as well I suspect. At times it appeared Szmodics was our only midfielder.

Guthrie looked out of his depth and out of place in midfield. Note to McGreal...if Slater and Loft are sitting on the bench why the hell is Guthrie starting in the middle? A mistake that will be exposed by better sides than Cambridge.

Dickinson and Johnstone looked good.

Would agree with Fruitbat's 6/10. Would love to see what these players could do playing 4-4-2.

LB Guthrie is a striker, he should not be played in midfield, when JM decides on his best formation he will play Guthrie as a striker.

Johnstone is impressive and very lively up front. He will score goals for the U's.

Great to get off to a winning start at home.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 20:15 - Aug 13 with 681 viewsburnsieespana

A win by whatever means must be good given the last few years of struggle. Hopefully confidence will grow. Glad general view is the defence has improved because if we don't conceded we will be ok.
Well dobe to JM and the boys, keep it up.
CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 20:19 - Aug 13 with 670 viewsWessiehomesPete

That was an impressive attendance at the Wessie.

Nice one
CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 22:45 - Aug 13 with 627 viewsbwildered

A win is a win, a clean sheet is a clean sheet, where the positives in this encounter . Hopefully it will bring early confidence and belief in the squad for the long season ahead .
Two, three players still need to find their feet, but this win means nothing without follow up on Tuesday night with another victory .
Onwards and upwards .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 22:50 - Aug 13 with 620 viewsgerry_us

So far only goal conceded from the penalty spot and even that was somewhat debatable. Hopefully our defence have learnt lessons from last season and will tighten up week on week. Tuesday may give us further cause for optimism.
CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 02:00 - Aug 14 with 595 viewsmfb_cufc

I think a 6/10 is very harsh. There is just no pleasing some people. This was the most dominating home performance for years. Cambridge were poor, but only because we made them look poor. How good it was to see the defence in no trouble. The only shot on target Cambridge had was due to Lapsie not having the height to deal with a long throw. We always looked like scoring when attacking, the only criticism being the final ball into the box. From what I have seen from the first two games, the standard of League 2 is certainly below that of League 1, and we should all be looking forward to promotion push.

mfb

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 11:02 - Aug 14 with 552 viewsnoah4x4

I agree with mfb, I haven't seen the U's this dominant in a league game since we moved to WHCS. I also agree with others; goalkeeping excellence; solid defence; brilliance wide; but the midfield was at times all over the place (but good defensively) with some confusion up front. Szmodics ran himself into the ground compensating for the lack of positional sense of others.

When we got the ball out to the wings we always threatened, but the end product must be either a cross with men in the box or a cutting edge pass inside. Instead, we had incredible pace and momentum that typically stopped dead because the midfield were laggard; Porter too slow; and the U's generally unstructured in attack; allowing time for Cambridge to regroup. We would typically win a corner and maintain the pressure, but lacked that decisive finish. Frankly, it reminded me of those first few encouraging performances under Joe Dunne. At times, Guthrie bossed the show whilst lying too deep leaving Porter without support. There is nothing here that can't be remedied within the existing squad, but John McGreal probably still doesn't yet know his most dynamic midfield combination or striker. Johnstone doesn't have the touch of Porter, but does have the pace that Porter lacks. Might they play together in a 4-4-2 (or maybe combine Johnstone with Bonne), with Wright and Dickenson delivering quality balls from wide, I wonder?

But let's hold onto the positives. We won; we dominated whilst still playing a tad below par. When Owen Garven returns I expect the U's to simply ooze class in this division. His ability to put his foot on the ball and pick out the decisive pass will give Guthrie and/or Szmodics the freedom that they clearly desire, although I am not convinced that they should start together. Where is Guthrie supposed to be playing? In defensivce midfield, Tim Lapslie increasingly reminds me of Kem Izzett at his best. But Loft and Slater? Not quite sure how they fit, but that is probably because I have not seen enough of them to form any judgement. But I left the ground buzzing, and I don't just mean on the new 'buz service to the Victora Inn. I expect to see us step up a further notch against Grimsby as although overwhelmed, I don't think Cambridge are as poor as some perceive. Despite the constructive negatives I mention, I actually think we were really good!
CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 11:21 - Aug 14 with 545 viewsbwildered

When was the last time we won the first home league game of the season ?

When was the last time we won the first two league games of the season ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 12:41 - Aug 14 with 519 viewsburnsieespana

Winning the first 2 games of a season is not important but what is how the team plays.
I think we must also remember it will take tine for the new players to gel with the rest of the squad plus Slater and Gutherie to get up to the pace in comparison to where they played last year.
Noah thank you for your useful comments on the game and good to see a couple of our acadamy products seemingly now stepping up to the plate.
I have no doubts the loss of Walker last year made a huge difference to us.
Finally does seem most if not all of the senior signings have enhanced the squad and just maybe Southend wish they still had Prosser to call upon.
CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 17:08 - Aug 14 with 481 viewsdurham_exile

CUFC v CUFC - U's to secure derby victory at WHCS on 12:41 - Aug 14 by burnsieespana

Winning the first 2 games of a season is not important but what is how the team plays.
I think we must also remember it will take tine for the new players to gel with the rest of the squad plus Slater and Gutherie to get up to the pace in comparison to where they played last year.
Noah thank you for your useful comments on the game and good to see a couple of our acadamy products seemingly now stepping up to the plate.
I have no doubts the loss of Walker last year made a huge difference to us.
Finally does seem most if not all of the senior signings have enhanced the squad and just maybe Southend wish they still had Prosser to call upon.

Credit to JM for making really shrewd signings.

I especially like Denny Johnstone who has the ability to score 20 goals this season.

Prosser, Loft, Guthrie and Dickenson will also enhance the team.

No complaints about a home win and a clean sheet from me.

Now let's batter the Mariners on Tuesday.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024