Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pre match rituals or superstitions 20:39 - Aug 15 with 691 viewsLeadbelly

On saturday, during my walk to Manningtree station and journey to Colchester, I listened to "Inflammable Material" by Stiff Little Fingers followed by "Touch Sensitive" and "Container Drivers" by The Fall. Whilst I wouldn't normally give credence to superstition or ritual the fact that we won means my playlist tomorrow will be exactly the same. Fingers crossed.

Does anyone else have any regular pre match rituals or superstitions that must be observed? Going to the pub doesn't count!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Pre match rituals or superstitions on 22:58 - Aug 15 with 670 viewswessex_exile

Damn it, I was coasting until the last sentence...

Okay, I suppose the first observation is that if any of us have lucky superstitions or rituals, recent experience tells us they're not working. I have an awayday playlist on my iPhone, which is nearly 300 tracks long, and I certainly do consider it a good omen if (on random) I get the sort of combination that gives a good feeling about the day to come. Non-randomising it undoes any good omens, and is not to be considered...

As pretty much all of my football trips for the last 30+ years have been awaydays, my preference for a good trip is just meeting and chatting with other fans on their travels - any trip through London village is particularly good for this, but Bristol and Birmingham can be equally good. My real ritual though is research - I'm not organised enough to do too much booking in advance, so Friday night is always spent checking out train routes, fares, alternative route options, where to drink, where to avoid, taxi numbers (if needed) etc., and then hoping I can remember enough of it on Saturday morning.

Minor house-keeping matters include trying (and often failing) to ensure my phone is fully charged, if the train operator has that facility (damn you SW Trains and Anglia) taking a charge lead in case, having a decent movie or two synched on to my phone for the long trip home as back up, and taking my reading glasses in case the back-up is needed.

I don't have lucky underpants, if I did we wouldn't be in this shite - though I'd willingly accept the chafing and smell if I did.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Pre match rituals or superstitions on 23:01 - Aug 15 with 671 viewsFruitbat

Nope, but Inflammable Material is an excellent album. I may have to dig my copy out and listen to it tomorrow.
Pre match rituals or superstitions on 23:56 - Aug 15 with 661 viewsLeadbelly

Pre match rituals or superstitions on 22:58 - Aug 15 by wessex_exile

Damn it, I was coasting until the last sentence...

Okay, I suppose the first observation is that if any of us have lucky superstitions or rituals, recent experience tells us they're not working. I have an awayday playlist on my iPhone, which is nearly 300 tracks long, and I certainly do consider it a good omen if (on random) I get the sort of combination that gives a good feeling about the day to come. Non-randomising it undoes any good omens, and is not to be considered...

As pretty much all of my football trips for the last 30+ years have been awaydays, my preference for a good trip is just meeting and chatting with other fans on their travels - any trip through London village is particularly good for this, but Bristol and Birmingham can be equally good. My real ritual though is research - I'm not organised enough to do too much booking in advance, so Friday night is always spent checking out train routes, fares, alternative route options, where to drink, where to avoid, taxi numbers (if needed) etc., and then hoping I can remember enough of it on Saturday morning.

Minor house-keeping matters include trying (and often failing) to ensure my phone is fully charged, if the train operator has that facility (damn you SW Trains and Anglia) taking a charge lead in case, having a decent movie or two synched on to my phone for the long trip home as back up, and taking my reading glasses in case the back-up is needed.

I don't have lucky underpants, if I did we wouldn't be in this shite - though I'd willingly accept the chafing and smell if I did.

"chafing and smell"? I may have nightmares tonight!

Pre match rituals or superstitions on 23:57 - Aug 15 with 659 viewsLeadbelly

Pre match rituals or superstitions on 23:01 - Aug 15 by Fruitbat

Nope, but Inflammable Material is an excellent album. I may have to dig my copy out and listen to it tomorrow.

A fine album indeed. As protest songs go "Suspect Device" takes some beating.

Pre match rituals or superstitions on 10:53 - Aug 16 with 635 viewsnoah4x4

Breakfast at Trotters (or 'Steak Tuesday' at the Playhouse) plus the pub is essential ritual before all home games. Indeed, it is the same Saturday ritual when we don't play football. Not stopping at Peterborough Services on most 2016-17 away trips must also be a good omen. But these apart, I have given up on all previous good luck omens and superstitions.

After all, the three footie teams dear to my heart (the U's; Villa; Kidderminster) were all relegated in the same season whilst I got relegated from the HGPL Premier. Yet, since I gave up silly pants wearing; the Stock Market has soared; Essex are topping cricket's second division; we have won more Gold Olympic medals that China; and the U's are unbeaten in the league. Res Ipsa Loquitor...
Pre match rituals or superstitions on 13:08 - Aug 16 with 610 viewsLeadbelly

Pre match rituals or superstitions on 10:53 - Aug 16 by noah4x4

Breakfast at Trotters (or 'Steak Tuesday' at the Playhouse) plus the pub is essential ritual before all home games. Indeed, it is the same Saturday ritual when we don't play football. Not stopping at Peterborough Services on most 2016-17 away trips must also be a good omen. But these apart, I have given up on all previous good luck omens and superstitions.

After all, the three footie teams dear to my heart (the U's; Villa; Kidderminster) were all relegated in the same season whilst I got relegated from the HGPL Premier. Yet, since I gave up silly pants wearing; the Stock Market has soared; Essex are topping cricket's second division; we have won more Gold Olympic medals that China; and the U's are unbeaten in the league. Res Ipsa Loquitor...

And this morning Essex have wrapped up a comfortable victory away at Derbyshire so not wearing silly pants is working.

Pre match rituals or superstitions on 13:50 - Aug 16 with 604 viewsgerry_us

Pre match rituals or superstitions on 13:08 - Aug 16 by Leadbelly

And this morning Essex have wrapped up a comfortable victory away at Derbyshire so not wearing silly pants is working.

Being a "Midlander" managed to see a large lump of Nick Browne's innings and he does look class when he is at his best. Problem is that England could do with a decent opener. Could Essex provide the openers this Winter?
Pre match rituals or superstitions on 16:04 - Aug 16 with 588 viewsburnsieespana

No pre match ritual as living in Spain don't see many but don't turn Sky on during the match as when I do we also seem to be beaten although have to say the lasty few years that has not worked either!
Am I correct in thinking Browne one of the few players to have got more than one double hundred this year?
Can#t believe Hales and Vince have a future for England.
Login to get fewer ads

Pre match rituals or superstitions on 19:54 - Aug 16 with 569 viewswessex_exile

Pre match rituals or superstitions on 16:04 - Aug 16 by burnsieespana

No pre match ritual as living in Spain don't see many but don't turn Sky on during the match as when I do we also seem to be beaten although have to say the lasty few years that has not worked either!
Am I correct in thinking Browne one of the few players to have got more than one double hundred this year?
Can#t believe Hales and Vince have a future for England.

That is one of my other rituals - when we're up against it and really need a goal to save a point (or win 3), I will turn the commentary off and follow on either Final Score or BBC Sport updates.

Up the U's

Pre match rituals or superstitions on 22:42 - Aug 16 with 562 viewsLeadbelly

Having travelled from work in London rather than home my play was extended with the addition of "Sheriff Fatman" by Carter USM, "Thou shalt always kill" by Scroobius Pip vs Dan le Sac, "Do it clean" by Echo and the Bunnymen and "The Boss" by James Brown. Same again for the trip to Wycombe.

Pre match rituals or superstitions on 20:40 - Aug 17 with 535 viewswessex_exile

Pre match rituals or superstitions on 22:42 - Aug 16 by Leadbelly

Having travelled from work in London rather than home my play was extended with the addition of "Sheriff Fatman" by Carter USM, "Thou shalt always kill" by Scroobius Pip vs Dan le Sac, "Do it clean" by Echo and the Bunnymen and "The Boss" by James Brown. Same again for the trip to Wycombe.

Sheriff Fatman is on my awayday playlist too. Given the Southend and Leigh-on-Sea references, I've always assumed someone in the band has a connection with South Essex, which would make it pretty ironic if through correlation it turns out that's the lucky song!

Up the U's

Pre match rituals or superstitions on 20:56 - Aug 17 with 530 viewsLeadbelly

Jim Bob and Fruitbat were both born in London but there may be some bottom feeding connection of which I'm unaware. For the sake of clarity, this is not our Fruitbat.

Pre match rituals or superstitions on 23:26 - Aug 17 with 513 viewsFruitbat

Pre match rituals or superstitions on 20:56 - Aug 17 by Leadbelly

Jim Bob and Fruitbat were both born in London but there may be some bottom feeding connection of which I'm unaware. For the sake of clarity, this is not our Fruitbat.

No, my bands were much better.
Pre match rituals or superstitions on 19:56 - Sep 4 with 393 viewsLeadbelly

Can't believe SLF let me down. I shall be looking for something new for Blackpool next week.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024